Relevance Rankings in the Marketplace - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Virtual Business > SL Marketplace » Relevance Rankings in the Marketplace

SL Marketplace A place to discuss issues related to the SL Marketplace.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Stuffed

My Mood:
Relevance Rankings in the Marketplace

Whenever I go to the marketplace, I search with an empty field in the keywords text and leave the ranking set to relevance (I later change it to newest first) - try it yourself - the search yields expected results for the most part - a lot of L$1 stuff, an omega kits (which I would suspect would be a high seller) but lately there are a number of higher priced items from Avale which are always at the top. How on earth does relevance ranking work and why are these items always there? I am not that into fashion, but it is a seller that I have not heard of before. So why do all their things show up first? I guess I don't understand the ranking system - does anyone?
txWalrus Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

I dont know exactly but I think it generally works on what other people do

People who used this search keyword bought this other stuff recently
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Watch out for hairballs....

My Mood:
Client: Singularity, Kokua
Quote:
Originally Posted by txWalrus Petrovic View Post
Whenever I go to the marketplace, I search with an empty field in the keywords text and leave the ranking set to relevance (I later change it to newest first) - try it yourself - the search yields expected results for the most part - a lot of L$1 stuff, an omega kits (which I would suspect would be a high seller) but lately there are a number of higher priced items from Avale which are always at the top. How on earth does relevance ranking work and why are these items always there? I am not that into fashion, but it is a seller that I have not heard of before. So why do all their things show up first? I guess I don't understand the ranking system - does anyone?
I can't say exactly how ranking works, but whenever I'm curious about the ranking of a listing I open it up and right click then select view source. You might need to do something different to see this page in different web browsers. Near the top you'll see lines that start like "<meta name...." and there you'll find the full title, keywords etc of the listing itself. I use this to see what keywords the seller used as they don't usually show up when you load a listing. Once you see everything the seller has written, their relevance ranking should be easier to understand.

Some sellers will only use relevant keywords and tags and appear in the appropriate search results. Others do the opposite and might spam keywords so they appear in more searches. The good news is that you can flag the keyword spammers when you find them - I think you'd flag it as "spam or disallowed listing practices" here's the relevant section from the MP guidelines that explains what is or isn't allowed.

As for the seller you mentioned, I had a quick look at a listing and they're making use of a fair number of keywords and it's on the spammy side. For example a bikini top with keywords including "palm" in the title and "dress" and "skirt" in keywords. I wouldn't describe those as relevant to that item. There are a lot of keywords stuffed in the features tab too.

An interesting thing to try in a shop like this is search just within the store for something. Example: in Avale's store, if you search for dress, sorting by relevance, you'll get a bikini top, bottoms and skirt near the top of the results. Look at the page source and you'll see why - those words are being used as keywords somewhere in the listing. The features tab keywords also seem to get items into search results, certainly when I did a store search for one feature keyword (contest) it brought up a bunch of listings.

When you list stuff on Marketplace, you can copy info from a previous listing into the new one to save time re-typing everything. By the looks of this store I think that's what happened and the seller hasn't edited their keywords to be relevant to specific items. Which is bad news if your competitors notice and start flagging listings.

Apologies for such a long answer but I hope it makes some sense
Save
Old 08-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Stuffed

My Mood:
Ailsa, thanks for the info. I did look at the keywords and yes, many are unrelated, and as you said, it looks like they were the copy from another version. For example, there are 74 items in the store with blueberry in the keywords which may be an attempt to draw searches for the popular Blueberry product line.
txWalrus Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote