Mesh Clothing. No Demo, no buy! - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Virtual Business » Mesh Clothing. No Demo, no buy!

Virtual Business Discuss issues involving running a business in a virtual world. DO NOT POST ADS.

Sponsor:
AzureIslands - Candy Azure #1 Favorite Land Company Winner on the Annual Avi Choice Awards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
Client: Firestorm
Mesh Clothing. No Demo, no buy!

A bit of a rant but well justified I think...

If you are going to make Mesh clothing, please offer a demo. I've spent 3 hours tonight shopping for my first Mesh clothes. I was so excited when I started out. Now I'm just frustrated.

I tried on about 10 different dresses and skirts. Half did not fit. I have boobs AND a butt, I'm a curvy woman and your model thin meshes are not going to fit many of us shapely types. Grrrr. One dress was gorgeous and fit, but the creator made the top and bottom alpha layers separate, so that's a no go in Phoenix. I left her an IM suggesting making a single alpha option. A couple others fit, but weren't quite what I wanted. I ended up with one dress, from a designer I'd never heard of, which still doesn't fit 100% perfectly, but is good, and looks beautiful.

3 of the most beautiful mesh dresses I found have no demos available. Interestingly, they were all what I'd consider "higher end" designers - the BOSL and Fashion Week crowd. Considering that most of what I tried on didn't fit, I'm not risking any L$ on something I don't know if I can use. I don't care how SL famous you are, and even if I buy and love your prim and sculpty stuff. If it's mesh, no demo = no buy!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

esh I have drooled over

matreyia

slink

hucci

pixeldolls

the first two use standard sizing ( a set of shapes that are suposed to represent average sl sizes)

damien fate also has some great dresses

and yes I agree no demos is badddddd

Quality rigged mesh clothing for Women in standard sizing

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/42
Eclectic Wingtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

::happy dancing through life::

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08/2007
Business: Greek Gold Lesbian Resort
I will only buy mesh from designers who offer demos. Its not like its that much trouble, one would think, to slap a huge DEMO sign on their designs and make them available as such.

I have an athletic muscled avi, definitely not what's considered model thin and not considered curvy in the hourglass type of way. The demo sizes usually don't fit me and I will be damned before I start creating bodies for each outfit.

Designers of most of the mesh clothing have too many fit issues as there is no way to standardize sizes. The only mesh items that do work for me are footwear and hair.

Until programming is worked out on mesh so that it can be 'one size fit all', I don't see myself being a mesh fanatic.
"live, Live, LIVE! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." ~ Auntie Mame
Xmara is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I have a rather short avatar so the chances are slim to none rigged clothing will fit me. If there's no demo, I simply won't risk the money.

The no-mod no-money rule still allies to the paid version as well.

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 12-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

LLvangelist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/12/2006
Business: [H]arsh Styles
Client: Always changing, and too lazy to edit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
The no-mod mo-money rule still allies to the paid version as well.
Considering you can't mod mesh, I guess that means you will never buy any?

The truth doesn't care if you agree with it or disagree with it. It continues to be regardless, unchanged. Denying the truth is only lying to yourself. - Darien Caldwell
Darien Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Disagreed:
Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Well, but you can - even if its just the textures and properties.....or its not rigged.

And try PixelDolls - her stuff is done modularly, and it seems to fit without any changes at all.

Aribeth Zelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien Caldwell View Post
If people sell it no mod because "You can't mod it anyway", yes, that will stop me from buying it.

You can mod rigged mesh: you can use your own textures, and you can script it. If it's marked No
Mod, you can't do either of those things.

I don't buy no-mod, period.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*

We can't stop here. This is bat country

My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien Caldwell View Post
Maybe not rigged mesh....

For the benefit of people making attachments that don't require to be rigged, I really think folks should put 'rigged' in that statement. It's going to perpetuate an untrue myth.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/26/06
Business: .( bewildebeest ).
Seconding the recommendation for PixelDolls mesh. And you need to hurry to get it...
Coyote Momiji is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Killer

You can mod rigged mesh dngit

You can't resize, rotate, or scale.

You can still retextire, recolor, reglow, realpha, reparticle, rescript, link, delink, etc.

Unless they mark it no-mod, because "you can't mod it anyway" in which case you ruin your content to me and I don't buy it.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elysium Hynes is Typing..

My animal spirit is the lolcat

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/7/2007
Client: V3
Send a message via Skype™ to Elysium Hynes
Quote:
You can mod rigged mesh dngit

You can't resize, rotate, or scale.

You can still retextire, recolor, reglow, realpha, reparticle, rescript, link, delink, etc.

Unless they mark it no-mod, because "you can't mod it anyway" in which case you ruin your content to me and I don't buy it.

This is my modded mesh podling i retextured it and adjusted glow and tint on the eyes.

If the creator lets you mod the mesh even rigged one can be modifiable and non rigged even more cause it can be resized as well as retextured.

Elysium Hynes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 12-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

LLvangelist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/12/2006
Business: [H]arsh Styles
Client: Always changing, and too lazy to edit.
Quote:
If people sell it no mod because "You can't mod it anyway", yes, that will stop me from buying it.

You can mod rigged mesh: you can use your own textures, and you can script it. If it's marked No
Mod, you can't do either of those things.

I don't buy no-mod, period.
I guess thats a point. I consider mod to mean you can change individual elements of the actual design, and with mesh you can't do that. But modify is more than that, you're right.
Darien Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Could someone please provide some mesh-noob guidance on what "rigged" means? I have no clue why "rigged" mesh can't be modded and "non-rigged" mesh can at least be re-textured. Probalby because I have no clue what rigging is or does. I iz soooo confused.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium Hynes View Post
This is my modded mesh podling i retextured it and adjusted glow and tint on the eyes.

That is a adorable!

Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Could someone please provide some mesh-noob guidance on what "rigged" means? I have no clue why "rigged" mesh can't be modded and "non-rigged" mesh can at least be re-textured. Probalby because I have no clue what rigging is or does. I iz soooo confused.

Rigged meshes are meshes that move with your animations.

Non-Rigged meshes are static models, that don't bend, they can still be worn but they are stiff just like sculpts or prims.

When rezzed, both act the same and can be modded in every way, but worn rigged meshes can't be rescaled, rotated, or repositioned on the avie. Non-rigged (static) meshes still can.

All other aspects of modding (texturing, tinting, scripting) can always be done on any kind of mesh so long as it was given mod perms.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Orc
Nicole Twigvald

Data Traveller

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2010
Business: Pose Monster
I think of rigging like tying parts of an item to a skeleton. Then it will change its shape to stay on wherever it was tied to, the same way a system skirt doesn't stay as one shape but will change to whatever shape it needs as you walk because it's always stuck to the legs no matter what.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

keep on mimd that if you re sizr a rigged mesh on the ground ot will jump back to its original size when you wear it again. so you cant rez it change the length by stretching it then wear it and have it longer
2 Users Agreed:
Old 12-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post

Rigging more or less ignores the attachment point system in SL because the location data is baked into the geometry by the content creator in Blender or Maya or whatever else. The attachment point is only used to attach it to the avatar, but a pair of rigged mesh shoes can be attached to the skull and still appear and move with the feet. Rigging bypasses the attachment system.

Because the location data is baked into the geometry outside of SL, it ignores whatever you do to it when you attempt to manipulate the shape. One bug with importing rigged mesh from Blender 2.49 is that unless you scale the geometry at import it gets loaded into SL tiny tiny tiny. Like 0.01m. So if you rez your dress on the ground it's ittybitty but if you wear it the geometry snaps into place around the avatar full size.

You can't scale anything that's rigged, and only attachments can be rigged. You can still tint, re-texture, script etc everything else about rigged mesh but you can't change its size.

And yes as Siggy says people really need to specifically underscore the difference. An unrigged attachment is the same as wearing sculpts. You can stretch it and move its position all you want if it has mod perms. It's only rigged mesh that can't have its size/location changed, and only attachments can be rigged.

If people say "you can't mod mesh" it's going to lead to individuals believing limitations about mesh that are untrue.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 1 Sept. 2008
Send a message via AIM to Leslie Plutonian Send a message via Yahoo to Leslie Plutonian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Lytton View Post
I don't care how SL famous you are, and even if I buy and love your prim and sculpty stuff. If it's mesh, no demo = no buy!
I totally agree.
My alt AV is "flat as a board" and some of the shaplier dresses make her look silly. With even the smallest size dresses, I had to up her boob size other wise the normal cam view from others would peer over the top and see nipples (without perving).

Quote:
I have a rather short avatar so the chances are slim to none rigged clothing will fit me.
Actually it will.

The size is determined by rigging points, I.E. your joints. Arm holes line up based on where your arms are. Legs and hips align based on your hips and legs. In other words it stretches or shrinks to match your joints.

It doesn't change shape based your avatar shape such as stomach, butt or boob sizes since those are not related to the joints.
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
For less curvy avies, I'd think Curious Kitties is a good place to go - I've a few of their things and it looks odd because I am curvy....then suddenly I'm not.
Aribeth Zelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Plutonian View Post
Actually it will.

The size is determined by rigging points, I.E. your joints. Arm holes line up based on where your arms are. Legs and hips align based on your hips and legs. In other words it stretches or shrinks to match your joints.
Not for me. All meshes I wear, while they "fit" my joints, look ridiculously puffy and oversized because the were rigged for a much bigger avie, and any details get squished.

And the kicker is I'm only short by SL standards. My avie is a 5'9 male, so most clothing I buy is made for 9 foot males.
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
A neko for all seasons
Fell down a rabbit hole of MMOS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2010
Client: Catznip, Radegast
While I have only ever got mesh freebies, in part because it's hard to find rigged mesh that fits my avatar properly and in part because the viewers required to run it take up a lot more memory usage than the ones that don't, I still wouldn't ever buy a rigged mesh outfit without trying on a demo.

I'm just waiting and seeing how things turn out.

Rigged mesh also puts me off because it can't be resized, this isn't just relevant to my shape but also in terms of if I want a top to be shorter or longer, etc.
Rock Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #23 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
5'9" is short for males irl.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #24 (permalink)

given how god awful system clothing looks when people try to make it shorter im glad that isnt an option with mesh
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
5'9" is short for males irl.
-.-
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed: