Using profile "picks" for marketing - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Virtual Business » Using profile "picks" for marketing

Virtual Business Discuss issues involving running a business in a virtual world. DO NOT POST ADS.

Sponsor:
AzureIslands - Candy Azure #1 Favorite Land Company Winner on the Annual Avi Choice Awards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 03:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
resident oversharer

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/20/2007
Business: Montagne Noire
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Astolat Dufaux
Using profile "picks" for marketing

Is it considered "gaming" one's search results if you offer a reward to customers who put your shop into their profile picks?

I see that in the "140 SL Marketing Tips & Ideas" list, #35 is "Have others place your location in their profile picks." But it doesn't specify how one would go about that.

I was considering doing a promotion within my own customer group to offer two pieces of an exclusive, unreleased outfit as a "carrot" to encourage customers to add my shop in their picks: they would send me a notecard with their name, and in turn I would look at their profile to confirm they added my shop, and send them the first half of the outfit.

In some timeframe after that, say two weeks, I'd go back and check their profile to see if the "pick" was still there, and then they would receive the other half of the outfit. This way it would be an incentive for them to keep the listing in their profile for an extended amount of time.

I've seen this type of promotion work outside SL, but wasn't sure if it is considered unethical or against TOS in some way.

From discussing this with a handful of my customers so far, they already like my work and want to support it, and get special deals and free items by being a member of my customer group, so they don't necessarily need a "reward" to list my shop in their picks. But it was also said that a reward for their loyalty wouldn't hurt either.

Interestingly, some customers weren't aware of what the picks tab is for.

Has anyone tried this, or know for a fact that this kind of marketing is disallowed? Thank you very much for your feedback.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astolat Dufaux View Post
Is it considered "gaming" one's search results if you offer a reward to customers who put your shop into their profile picks?
I personally think, yes, it is pure gaming. Either the customers voluntarily put your store into their picks because they think it's unique or awesome..or they don't. On their own accord.

Trying to bribe them (and it's nothing else) to put any mention of your products or shops into their profile is, in my opinion, gaming the system.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
resident oversharer

My Mood:
I had a feeling that was the case, and I appreciate your input.

I own a business in RL and that kind of promotion isn't unheard of -- rewarding your customers by having them refer friends/family/coworkers to you... I know some people find that strategy annoying (which is why I do it in a very limited manner, but it has proven successful), but I don't think anyone in RL would say it's unethical.

Is it just me or does it feel like the opportunities to promote one's business in SL are shrinking?

Last edited by Astolat Dufaux; 10-23-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Astolat Dufaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Im not sure i necessarily see itas gaming the system by offering a gift to exisitng customers.

The pick rewards systems, especially those that offer lindens are more of a gaming than offering an incentive to people who already like your items and just may not have thought about putting your store into their picks (I rarely think about doing this unless it is suggested to me..).

However I think an offer like this should be restricted to your update group or something not wiely advertised to fashion groups and blogs etc, like i said more of a thank you to your exisitng customer base for adding you to their picks.

Maybe i would start off simply by dropping those who already HAVE you in their picks with a smallthank you gift ? (you can find out who by using all search and typing in the name of your store in quotes)

Quality rigged mesh clothing for Women in standard sizing

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/42
Eclectic Wingtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
Re: Using profile "picks" for marketing

LL should not consider Picks when assigning ranking. Rewarding folks for recommending your shop is only considered gaming LL's ranking system because of that.

Most successful business need to keep customer recommendations up. Even Facebook rewards users when they recommend friends.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladyblue View Post
LL should not consider Picks when assigning ranking. Rewarding folks for recommending your shop is only considered gaming LL's ranking system because of that.

I bet piles of camping/traffic bots have all sorts of picks in their profile by now, of stores that collaborate on the trafficking (And they seem to do, given how I found the Allesandra 'Models' camping above an unrelated store in my bot hunt thread way back.)
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post

I bet piles of camping/traffic bots have all sorts of picks in their profile by now, of stores that collaborate on the trafficking (And they seem to do, given how I found the Allesandra 'Models' camping above an unrelated store in my bot hunt thread way back.)
Actually in order to have an impact on your ranking within the all search then the pipck must be in a profile with has a html page.

this only occurs with accoutns which either have payment info used or on accoutuns which have madea group.

Adding a pick to a bot account does little to game the system at all
Old 10-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quite a few businesses around the grid offer incentives from prizes to raffles for fairly substantial Lindens for putting their business in your picks. I won 1000K for putting an animation store (that I already liked) in my Picks for a few weeks.

I'm ambivalent about this tactic as a store owner. I have a poster at my store entrance asking for people to add the store to Picks, although I suspect no one pays much attention to it. But I can't quite bring myself to bribe them to do so, even though it's a common promotion technique.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Comment of randomness: Awesome forum avatar, Beebs

On that note, yeah, I don't see it as anything bad to ask your customers to add the pick. It's along the lines of 'hey, if you like this stuff, please tell others about it', which is a very understandable request in my opinion. And it's just good tact to actually -do- tell friends and people about awesome things one finds, IMO. Another reason why I loathe those inspect shields.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Nitwit magnet

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/07
Client: Firestorm, SL Beta Viewer, NiranV
Is it gaming the system? Or just playing the game? In SL there's precious few ways to market anything, be it service or product, without "gaming" the system in some way. Isn't it also "gaming the system" to pay LL to get a high placement in search of classifieds? With 30K sims and God knows how many shops and clubs, you either find a way to market your wares or you fail. Or you end up shopping and dancing at places owned by LL's big customers and looking like everyone else.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincia Singh View Post
Isn't it also "gaming the system" to pay LL to get a high placement in search of classifieds?
I don't think so. It's the same as getting huge adspace in newspapers and longer ads on the radio if you pay more. But it isn't gaming the system, it's indeed playing the game.

On the other hand, the way I see most pay-for-picks systems in SL, they are mostly targetted at newbies who are eager to make a quick $L, who for the most part don't even have a clue how the system works.

The system of including picks in the search ranking makes sense in that it supposes that when people put a pick into their profile, they have a liking to the place, and want to promote the products because they love them and want others to visit. Likewise it is presumed that traffic to a place stems from the place being known and people liking it lots and spreading the word, or that place having a special attraction.

Pay-for-picks falsifies the cause of the pick being in the profile just like traffic bots falsify the cause of the traffic being there, i.e. it stops having to do with popularity and starts having to do with unconnected reasons like being paid for it to do so, or the numbers being artificially generated.

In that way, pay-for-picks is the same gaming as traffic bots

Last edited by Chalice Yao; 10-23-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

But what the OP is talkign about here is not a pay for picks program (in fact it is not lindens at all) and from my understanding ti is being offered to her customer group not to the general public?

I agree it is gaming the system when you are pulling in newbies or you your sole intention is to get people to add your pics to improve your presance in search.

But if your goal is to reward those who already shop with you, already lik your store and offer that not only to those who currently have you in their picks but those who might add it in the future i am not sure how this is gaming the system
Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused View Post
But what the OP is talkign about here is not a pay for picks program (in fact it is not lindens at all) and from my understanding ti is being offered to her customer group not to the general public?
I think such a system is okay, and actually sweet, if it isn't announced and basically not advertized. If it is actually a way of appreciating people instead of trying to get many picks together.

Simply checking the profiles of people that often visit your store when the mood strikes you, and leaving them a personal thank you when you notice they have the pick in their profile or they just are loyal customers and often buy from you is a-okay. It can be honest appreciation, and a sign of such.

Basically, retroactively giving out a present out of being thankful, instead of going 'if you put my pick in your profile, you get a present'.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Bracque Roux-Ga-Roux

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/20/2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincia Singh View Post
Is it gaming the system? Or just playing the game? In SL there's precious few ways to market anything, be it service or product, without "gaming" the system in some way. Isn't it also "gaming the system" to pay LL to get a high placement in search of classifieds? With 30K sims and God knows how many shops and clubs, you either find a way to market your wares or you fail. Or you end up shopping and dancing at places owned by LL's big customers and looking like everyone else.
I dunno about all that. I'm all for bloody knuckles when it's called for, but I see a lot of sl biz take a skeezy marketing path when it isn't necessary ...and it just spawns more skeezyness. People with good products and patience can build their brands with dignified marketing. There's no question about it.

I share Beebo's ambivalence on the picks thing. I don't get into picks much because I don't really like relying on the SL native system to get the word out about stuff. I do like "group gifts" for building groups. It works. I suppose you could say that's gaming a group but a designer's attitude about it has a lot to do with how it comes accross to people. I think the gift for picks idea would work about the same. The term "enlightened self-interest" comes to mind.
Jura Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Prim Fancier

*SLU Supporter*

Current status [twirly]

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January, 2007
Client: v3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jura Shepherd View Post
I do like "group gifts" for building groups. It works. I suppose you could say that's gaming a group but a designer's attitude about it has a lot to do with how it comes accross to people. I think the gift for picks idea would work about the same.
Agreed. As I was reading this thread I was thinking that gifts for having the store in profile picks were on par with group gifts.

And how does all this equate to dropping freebies on bloggers? Is that seen as bribery? Or simply a way for people to see your stuff? I'm sure some, if not most, bloggers would be irate if they were charged by content creators to write about their stuff.

I have never tried any of these methods so I'm curious. My marketing sucks

Quote:
Cristiano We need to make 'endless celestial sex' into a thing.
Quote:
His Evol Holiness Trout of Troutlandia:
::The Temptress General Circle Widdershins, Dasher of Desires, Crusher of the Dreams of Mankind, Denter of Fenders, and High Priestess of The Temple of Carnage and Unholy Vice. She Whose Mere Presence Causes Her Enemies to Drop To Their Knees and Await Their Terrible Fate in Grim Obedience to Her Siren's Wail.::
Circle Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Out of here

*SLU Supporter*

Bridges Not Walls

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11-12-2007
Business: La Galleria
I suck at marketing too. I mean, if I knew what worked and was worth doing I would probably do it, but I don't, other than advertising onXstreet and here.

When I moved my store, all my picks were no good anymore, so I offered my group members 300L credit if they put me in picks -- or if they made new picks since the others were defunct. On a few took me up on it.

I do see the same stores in ppl's picks repeatedly, and can only assume they are paying for them, as they are just not the kind of stores that anyone is going to be inspired to make a pick for.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Baby Baroness

*SLU Supporter*

OMG ICONS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005.10.28
Client: 1.23
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildefire Walcott
It's gaming the system. I consider it gaming when the practice violates the spirit of the mechanism. The idea behind picks bias was it was supposed to help indicate places that residents actually liked and recommended, not just places that paid them to add them to their profile. Paying for expensive classifieds is not gaming, because you're using the system as it was designed (assuming there are no exploits allowing you to 'purchase' ads you can't afford).

When you pay residents to add you to their picks, you're breaking the purpose behind the system to begin with, and you are gaming the system. Question is, does that matter?

I actually was one of the first people to pay people to add us to their picks, and I did it for a couple of months. I was so disgusted by the entitled pricks I ended up dealing with as a result of the program that I ended it. I also encountered people who would send 40 or more alts my way, and then remove me from their picks within 24 hours so they could make room for other places in their profiles. Totally not worth it... and there are systems to automate picks monitoring and payouts now. They might be better today, but every single one that existed when I was doing it manually was either an outright fraud or only partially worked.

EDIT: Also, don't fool yourself into thinking that you are making customers by handing out money. Maybe 1 in a 100 (if that) people who come to your place looking for payouts turn into customers. The only real benefit this trick gives you is higher search placement (which is non-trivial, but some people like to justify picks payouts with other unproven benefits).

And finally, you are very likely NOT helping newbies. Many newbies have no idea these offers are out there, or how they work. The overwhelming majority of people I dealt with were 1-year-olds or older, and many had alt armies whose sole purpose was to harvest money.

Desperation Isle Productions: Scripted skyboxes for lots (and budgets) of all sizes!

Last edited by Wildefire Walcott; 10-23-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Wildefire Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Guvnah of Caledon

Hmm.

Gaming the system... yes, I can see that.

But even as an ethical business, one has to look at the big picture.

Some practises might be intrinsically abhorrent, even if possible... such as reselling freebies or whatnot.

Others might be seen as totally acceptable, such as setting up a nearly identical store across the street from a competitor and coming out with "me too" knockoff brands, all cheaper. There isn't a single one of us who hasn't purchased a "me too" brand item in real life.

Considering the big picture... SL is a dog eat dog world. I literally have caught people in my own regions trying to pass out flyers and talk people into renting elsewhere. I've seen people copying my stuff in my store, using my own extra prim allowance.

So as business tactics go, a profile picks promotion is about a 2 at most, on a 1 to 10 scale of "pure innocence" to "lying opportunist scum."

Considering what has been deployed against content creators lately, a world where everything they do can be ripped in an instant, inexorable tier fees, and a DMCA process that is glacial even when it's effective... I tend to give content creators a bit of the benefit of the doubt.

Notice that Astolat's stores are in a number of private estates (including mine). Her success is our success too; she and numerous others just like her are the reason we have all we do on the grid. Residential residents, art exhibits and sandboxes just don't cut it; content is the backbone.

I'm not saying we should throw out all considerations, but if a few mild things would give a clearly hard working, active content creator a bit of an edge in the face of the shark frenzy that is SL business... well, that's just pragmatic and fair.

When I see copying reduced to a rarity, and losers not hawking stolen products inside the same stores they ripped it from... then I'll be tougher on content creators. Nowadays, I think they need as much practical advantage as we can give them.

For the negative forces at work against content creators these days have *zero* concerns about ethics.

Best of luck Astolat.
Desmond Shang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
resident oversharer

My Mood:
Smile

Thank you very much for the feedback all. It's given me a lot to think about.

Being the kind of proactive consumer both in RL and SL who likes to get the most from my money, I'm also cautious and on the lookout for anything that might be "something for nothing" or bait and switch etc types of marketing.

This idea that I had was based on incentive programs I've seen in RL as a customer and business owner. It's becoming a fairly common marketing tool for businesses who offer rewards to people who sign up for their newsletter or email list. Sometimes it's product, sometimes it's a discount.

As a consumer I'm all for getting something free as incentive or a thank you -- as long as what they are asking for in return from me isn't too intrusive. But I know some people don't care for that type of marketing.

My assumption has been that the people who have signed up for my update group want special promotions targeted to them.

And that was reinforced when I informally polled some of my regular customers. The feedback I got was that they liked the idea of an incentive -- also some of them weren't really aware that "picks" could be used to help promote my work.

So I may do a trial run of this program only via my (small) update group, and see if I even get a response. It could be a waste of time -- but at this point I'm willing to give it a try. As Desmond said, the deck seems to be increasingly stacked against us.
Astolat Dufaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Baby Baroness

*SLU Supporter*

OMG ICONS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005.10.28
Client: 1.23
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildefire Walcott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astolat Dufaux View Post
So I may do a trial run of this program only via my (small) update group, and see if I even get a response. It could be a waste of time -- but at this point I'm willing to give it a try. As Desmond said, the deck seems to be increasingly stacked against us.
Yeah, my opinion is you do what ya gotta do, so long as no one gets hurt.

All research indicates that Picks prominence is more effective at SL search result boosting than object description spamming (which some people do to hilarious effect), and the costs are extremely low compared to front-page classifieds.

(Oh, and although LL has a couple of times mentioned that landmark proliferation affected search results, I am not the only person who thinks that this is either flatly untrue, or the 'weight' of landmarks is so low that it simply doesn't make a difference.)
Wildefire Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
\m/

I do not think picks affect searches the way they did anymore. Its all hype mainly. I never had a issue with being found in searches even though I doubt many people had me in their picks. So if people want to pay others to list their place.. fine with me. The only time I ever look at picks is if I want to find a creators place of business.
Meat Popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

It might be gaming the system but it doesn't game the system in a way that inflates concurrency and put a load on the grid, so I don't care.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
Out of here

*SLU Supporter*

Bridges Not Walls

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11-12-2007
Business: La Galleria
It is gaming, but is gaming always wrong? I don't think so -- as long as LL makes search a game, if others play it and you don't, you lose. How much, though, I don't know -- probably not much.

I don't know how much Picks count anyway. Only about 45 ppl have me in Picks that I know of. I don't game traffic or picks in any way (no hunts, etc.). I am on the first page for dining rooms, dining room furniture, and kitchens (and on NO page for kitchen). Not sure why.
Pamela Galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Solace Beach Owner

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Business: Solace Beach Estates
I think the whole concept of "gaming" is silly. All marketing is gaming. You do what you have to in order to get sales. Don't get me wrong, I'm strongly opposed to bots and camping - but not necessarily because I see inflating traffic as unethical. Bots and campers negatively affect grid stability, and therefore harm all of SL. Paying for Picks only harms the competition who are unable or unwilling to do the same.

I have pay for Picks boards and I used to have more of them. I do think they help out newbies and give them incentive to put payment info on file. I've seen results. It is harder to abuse them with alts due to the payment info requirement, but I have seen it done. In fact I recently eliminated daily pay for Picks because I could tell it was being abused. Monthly seems to work better anyway.

If you dislike the idea of giving out money, there are also profile pick item givers. I think many devoted customers will add you to Picks in exchange for a great freebie. They work on touch, so you don't need to manually check Picks and send stuff out.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #25 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/5/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildefire Walcott View Post
(Oh, and although LL has a couple of times mentioned that landmark proliferation affected search results, I am not the only person who thinks that this is either flatly untrue, or the 'weight' of landmarks is so low that it simply doesn't make a difference.)
I never heard of that. Is that in the KB or the WiKi?
ChatNoir Moonsoo is offline   Reply With Quote