One Store or Two? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Virtual Business » One Store or Two?

Virtual Business Discuss issues involving running a business in a virtual world. DO NOT POST ADS.

Sponsor:
AzureIslands - Candy Azure #1 Favorite Land Company Winner on the Annual Avi Choice Awards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
One Store or Two?

So this has been nagging at me a bit and I wanted to get some opinions.

Is it better to have one mega shop or several smaller themed shops?

Like if I sell clothes now, but wanted to sell some furniture or jewelry, or even men's and women's clothes, is it better to have one shop with all of these items or have a couple of seperate shops with focused content?

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
I'd probably go with one bigger one and clear separation.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Just Me

Mostly lurking...

My Mood:
I'd say my answer is different for inworld stores or marketplace.

Inworld you can easily have one store with well-defined areas for different content. The marketplace, however, makes keeping clear separation a lot harder, and your storefront end up looking cluttered and confused.

If you go separate stores, inworld is not so much an issue as you can own them all, and still have them linked so people know you are the creator of all of them. With the marketplace you have to start setting up alts to deal with different product lines, and that adds another dimension of annoyance.

I ended up going the route of making one bigger store to handle all the wearable avatar items - clothes, skins, makeup and jewellery. I have a separate store for garden, buildings and furniture and it's a pain in the you-know-what to pass things from one avatar to another, especially trying not to break usage agreements sharing full perm building stuff that I've bought with one avatar and not the other.

So, consider how you want to use the marketplace and work back from there, since inworld is a lot easier. Are you prepared to deal with a storefront cluttered with wildly different products with only minimal organisation, or do you prefer more defined boundaries and the organisation required to keep up with a number of stores and alts?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/33397
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
I'd say my answer is different for inworld stores or marketplace.

Inworld you can easily have one store with well-defined areas for different content. The marketplace, however, makes keeping clear separation a lot harder, and your storefront end up looking cluttered and confused.

If you go separate stores, inworld is not so much an issue as you can own them all, and still have them linked so people know you are the creator of all of them. With the marketplace you have to start setting up alts to deal with different product lines, and that adds another dimension of annoyance.

I ended up going the route of making one bigger store to handle all the wearable avatar items - clothes, skins, makeup and jewellery. I have a separate store for garden, buildings and furniture and it's a pain in the you-know-what to pass things from one avatar to another, especially trying not to break usage agreements sharing full perm building stuff that I've bought with one avatar and not the other.

So, consider how you want to use the marketplace and work back from there, since inworld is a lot easier. Are you prepared to deal with a storefront cluttered with wildly different products with only minimal organisation, or do you prefer more defined boundaries and the organisation required to keep up with a number of stores and alts?
Yeah, this was kind of what I was thinking. I already have alts and use them for shared land tier. I thought about given them each a marketplace store then having a sort of mall area with each having some space there.
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rawr

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 5
There isn't a lot of substance to it, especially for long time creators, but I do always have this nagging feeling that something is fishy when one store is selling some wildly different product lines under one roof. Just for that it probably is worth the trouble to split things up if there are natural lines.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-19-2017, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

needs to edit profile/pics

SL Join Date: Sept 2006 (but not active till 2008)
Business: someday, someday ...

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
3 stores side by side with doors connecting them then separation on MP
Robert Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
SLERPee

while(trump || pence){resist();}

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
I'd put similar product groupings in separate stores. Example, each store for - apparel (clothing, jewelry, etc) or housewares (knick knacks, furniture, etc) or AV appearance items (skins, hair, makeup appliers, etc). Plopping down a couch for sale in the middle of your apparel store would give a haphazard yard sale look, IMO. These separate stores could be arranged vertically in skyboxes on the same parcel, as long as the LMs get you to the correct store.