Alternate method for installing Starlight on Macs - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Development Discussion and Support > Viewer XML & Skinning » Alternate method for installing Starlight on Macs

Viewer XML & Skinning Discuss modifying SL viewer XML and skin creation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 11, 2010
Client: Viewer 2.0
Alternate method for installing Starlight on Macs

Hi! I wanted to share my method of installing Starlight on the Mac because it's pretty easy if you know your away around the Terminal. Let's say we want to install the Starlight version StarLight 3.2.0760.zip, which is sitting in your Downloads folder.

1. Open the Terminal program.
2. Type the following three commands
Code:
cd /Applications/Second\ Life\ Viewer.app/Contents/Resources
cp ~/Downloads/StarLight\ 3.2.0760.zip ./Starlight.zip
unzip Starlight.zip
3. When it asks you if it wants to replace something, type A and press Return. (A means to replace all the duplicate files without asking permission.)

This simply copies the starlight ZIP file to the Resources folder of the Second Life Viewer, and then unzips it. When you unzip something in the terminal this way, however, it will put files in the appropriate folders automatically, instead of creating a separate folder like double-clicking on the ZIP file in the Finder does.

I'd be willin' to try makin' a little installer for Macs which does this, if the powers that be would be interested in postin' it on the website and keepin' it up-to-date.
samm.florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Miss StarLight

The little dabbler

Location: UK, Australia, Japan, and sometimes elsewhere in Europe and Asia ....best to be a moving target
SL Join Date: 06/12/08
That sounds excellent samm. Will this work for all Mac users or does it require that they use a certain version of the OS, or have their folders set up in a certain way? I'd be happy to include it as long as I knew what to do to keep it up-to-date, and don't need a Mac.
Hitomi Tiponi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 11, 2010
Client: Viewer 2.0
A very belated followup

Hi Hitomi! So after two years (!) I reckon I've figured out how t'automate th'process without you havin' t'have a Mac, mebbe. Still interested? I can send ya what I have in mind, and we can try it out.
samm.florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Miss StarLight

The little dabbler

Location: UK, Australia, Japan, and sometimes elsewhere in Europe and Asia ....best to be a moving target
SL Join Date: 06/12/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by samm.florian View Post
Hi Hitomi! So after two years (!) I reckon I've figured out how t'automate th'process without you havin' t'have a Mac, mebbe. Still interested? I can send ya what I have in mind, and we can try it out.
That sounds good to me samm - Please send me what you have with instructions even a Windows user can understand.
Hitomi Tiponi is offline   Reply With Quote