What are Your Very Favorite Movies? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > TV & Film » What are Your Very Favorite Movies?

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Music Lover

*SLU Supporter*

me

SL Join Date: Oct 24 2003
Client: Firestorm
What are Your Very Favorite Movies?

What are your very favorite movies? Here are mine.

King of Hearts (1966)
This starts with a WWI invasion of a small town. It is not a war movie at all though. Maybe a peace movie. Alan Bates is the lone scout to investigate the area. He goes into an insane asylum. There he meets and learns of the various characters' lives. Especially Genevieve Bujold who among other things is a tightrope dancer. She breaks my heart. She is so beautiful.

Being There (1979)

Peter Sellers is the star of this movie. He is Chance the Gardener. He is well below average intelligence. He has a heart of gold. He has worked as a gardener on an estate all of his life. The owner of the estate dies so he has no choice but to head out on his own. As chances will have, he meets Shirley Mclaine who is part of one of the most upper class families there were. His name is misunderstood as Chauncy Gardener. Only the family doctor realizes Chance is not particularly bright.

Candy (1968)
This movie was supposedly put out of circulation by Marlon Brando or his estate for decades out of embarrassment. That was a mistake in my opinion. It is classic, and what a list of stars. Candy is a pretty much unknown actress, Ewa Aulin. However - The screenplay was by Buck Henry based on a novel by Terry Southern. The actors include Marlon Brando, Richard Burton, Charles Aznavour, James Coburn, Walter Matthau, John Huston, John Astin, Ringo Starr, the list goes on.
The movie starts with a scene from the stars of the sky, zooming in and approaching earth. Then there is a scene of the ocean and a beach. Candy walks away from the water. From there on every man has his fantasies and ways with her that are impure, though she remains innocent. I want to mention also a key moment which is a total spoiler, but somehow the audio isn't there in the youtube version and I remember it. She follows a man with a falcon on his shoulder into a cave. He turns around. Then she sees. She screams, "Daddy!".

Greaser's Palace (1972)

This is a totally weird movie. Greaser is the leader of some little desert town in the SW. The reviews call this a religious parable. Hah, well maybe. It was directed by Robert Downey Sr. I think the reviewers are looking in the wrong direction. Every person in this movie is deeply involved in their own universe. For example this woman was attacked and injured. Throughout the movie she constantly is trying to crawl up a sand dune and survive. It's hard to explain. There are certainly religous elements especially, Allan Arbus is a form of Jesus. The holy ghost makes a couple of appearances. Just to give a sense of the flavor, quoted from imdb which is quoting Allan -
Quote:
Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devil-monster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana. And he *loves* to hurt people. The last time I saw Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana, he told me what he wants to do. He wants to come down here and kill each and every one of you! But I said to him: "Bingo, wait a minute." And the reason I said that is because I believe in you people. I believe you can do the job. I believe you can help each other. I believe you can make this world a better place to live in.
Essence Lumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Mood:
The obvious movies.

But one hit me hard this year. The Hero.

i cry most of the way thru. So much father daughter family stuff.
Alisha Matova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fizzy!

Refrezhing!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: '06
Business: Darnkeyes!

Awards: 2
Supermodel of the World 
My top three are Robocop, Batman, Beetlejuice (tied really with the addams family).

I'd write more but I'm doing this on a cellphone.

Ahaha, zuch a zimpleton. It'z so much fun playing jokez on you. I waz only here to see how zhe waz doing, but I had fun while I waz at it. Zo long, Zere, au revoir, mon ami! Pleaze dream of moi every night! Oui! ~ Harle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZalZtrange View Post
That'z your own fault. I took your pantiez out of your mouth pagez ago. Now you just like them there.
Lady Darnk Juniorette is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
子猫女王

(Loading...)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I know this probably makes me weird, but one of my all-time favorite movies that I can watch over and over again is the 1996 film Twister.

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

angelic

My Mood:
Business: Bliensen + MaiTai
In no particular order:

Night on Earth (1991) by Jim Jarmusch. One night, five cities, five taxis, wonderful actors, wonderful dialogues. My favourite is the Finnish story, so incredibly sad. But Armin Mueller Stahl driving Giancarlo Esposito through New York and Roberto Begnini talking bestiality in Rome are close runner ups.

Once Upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone (1968) - the ultimative Western, the ultimative soundtrack (Ennio Morricone), I know every line and every scene. I can't count how often I have seen this movie back then when we still had a handful of arthouse cinemas in town. Starring Henry Fonda as villain, Charles Bronson, and Claudia Cardinale. Never watch the edited version for the US-market though, it has to be the original one.

Pretty much all Aki Kaurismäki movies. But I think my favourite is "I hired a contract killer" - about a man who fails to commit suicide and then hires a hitman to do the job. Starring Jean-Pierre Léaud, and including a cameo of Joe Strummer.

Ghost Dog - The Way of the Samurai (1999). Again Jim Jarmusch, Forest Whitaker is the protagonist, a hitman who works for an aging mafia boss and follows the code of the Samurais. The images. The pigeons. The icecream truck and Isaac de Bankolé as French speaking ice cream man who doesn't understand a word but understands everything. The man who builds a boat on a rooftop. The soundtrack - and RZA's coolest cameo ever.

Léon the Professional by Luc Besson, 1994. Because. Everything. Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, Natalie Portman.

À bout de souffle - Breathless. 1960, by Jean Luc Godard. THE nouvelle vague movie, starring a young Jean Paul Belmondo (the thing he does with his lips...) and Jean Seberg. We're hiding like elephants when they're happy.

Cyrano de Bergerac, 1990, Jean Paul Rappeneau. Not everybody's cup of tea, for sure. Gérard Depardieu with an gigantic nose speaking in rhymes. I rarely cry when watching movies, this one made me cry every.single.time. I don't know why. But that's why it belongs here.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) George Roy Hill. Because Paul Newman, because Robert Redford, because Bolivia. Sometimes I think I like The Sting better, but then again I don't.

Clerks (1994), Kevin Smith. What is not to like.

The Intouchables/Intouchables (2011) by Olivier Nakache and Éric Toledano. Because it's just so touching. And funny. And based on a real story, which makes it even more touching. Maybe it aims too much for being touching, and maybe it's playing too much with stereotypes, but I still love it.

Mad Max II - The Road Warrior and Mad Max Fury Road (George Miller, 1981 und 2015). Don't have to explain.

Realizing now that I could go on and on forever. So I rather stop now.

Last edited by Plurabelle; 09-11-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Plurabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

angelic

My Mood:
Business: Bliensen + MaiTai
silly double post

Last edited by Plurabelle; 09-11-2018 at 06:49 AM. Reason: silly double post
Plurabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

Watership Down, The Princess Bride, The Martian, Real Genius, Blade Runner, Groundhog Day, The Thief and the Cobbler, The Wizard of Speed and Time, The Fifth Element, and any Disney movie about animals.

Edit: Blues Brothers.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.

Last edited by Argent Stonecutter; 09-12-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

#tfa

SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
I know this probably makes me weird, but one of my all-time favorite movies that I can watch over and over again is the 1996 film Twister.
Cow! Another Cow! No, I think that's the same cow... /lol =D

--------------

I kind of have two 'favorites' lists, and have seen a -tremendous number of movies. Some stuff I love is wildly unpopular, but I'll decide for my damned self whether it's good.

Immersiveness, music and cinematography all factor very strongly into what 'works' for me in movies. If they're good, I can forgive a bit of bad writing/acting.

I have two "favorites" lists. First: Movies I can watch a thousand times, like:

Tremors
Clue
Ready Player One
Tron Legacy(even if only for the sound track and visuals)
But actual favorite-favorites, movies that have blown me away:

Donnie Darko(2001) - Wormholes, time travel, suburbia, retro-1980's nostalgia before it was cool. Robbed at the box office because it involves an airplane accident and was released weeks after 9/11.

Shortbus(2006) John Cameron Mitchel (of Hedwig and the Angry Inch) - sexually diverse ensemble of characters trying desperately to connect, after physical/sexual contact has been trivialized by habit and repetition. Graphic, funny, touching and crazy.

Taking Woodstock(2009) Ang Lee - a gay son abandons NYC and return to his rural home to help his aging parents run their motel. His effort to help bring some business to town ends up in the chaos that was "Woodstock".

Cloud Atlas(2012) the Wachowskis - One theme (breaking free of class oppression) played out in 7 stories/times/styles/motifs woven together into a symphony of moments.
And I think at the very top of my list:

The Fall(2006)- Tarsem Singh's stunning visual masterpiece. A stuntman and child immigrant become friends as they're treated for injuries. He tells her stories, which she wildly misinterprets in beautiful ways:

Last edited by Jopsy Pendragon; 09-11-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm Catman...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/15/2006
Does a 10 hour movie count?

Band of Brothers

There are many others but this one always is at the top. A couple of times I have been home sick and just watched one disk after the other.
Markubis is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 09-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

watching

SL Join Date: 27/10/2010
Client: Official (w/Starlight) & Catznip
In no particular order:

The Wizard of Oz (ok, i admit it, this IS my favorite movie ever! )

His Girl Friday

The Philadelphia Story (yes i do love these old screwball comedies, Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant are just awesome!)

The Warriors

Chasing Amy (actually, everything New Jersey from Kevin Smith)

Lords of Dogtown

Allmost Famous

Midnight Run

Big Trouble in Little China (Kurt Russel is just hillarious)

Guardians of the Galaxy

True Lies

Omen Trilogy (Movies all by themself are "just" very, very good, but with that
Soundtrack by Jerry Goldsmith, they became masterpieces)

... and like Plurabelle, i rather stop here because i could go on and on an on

“Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be.” - Frank Zappa
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

October Sky
A charming story about a teenager in coal country who enter and wins a rocket competion in the early 60's. He later goes on to work for NASA.

Contact
Stays mostly true to Sagans book. Real scientists, real people.

Arrival
Does what good SF is supposed to do: opens your mind while telling a good tale.

Serenity
Who doesn't like Captain Mel?

THX 1138
Don't remember much, but good visuals

Solaris
Thought provoking

Forbidden Planet
Of course.

Adromeda Strain
Have you read the book? Page after page of citations from scientific journal articles. More stories neec to include references to the Rand Foundation and Nature magazine. Also very cool for its period, with realistic scientists.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Duh

And of course the usual classics and blockbusters.

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

Pop!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

I have so many favourites, it's hard to know where to begin...

If I want a "chicken soup for the soul" movie; To Kill a Mockingbird.

If I want a witty script with lots of clever wordplay and banter; Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

If I want to be mesmerised by one guy telling a story; Swimming to Cambodia.

If I want to feel quietly happy, without having to overthink things; Mr. Hulot's Holiday.

If I want to get pumped up and ready to kick out all the stops; Run Lola Run.

If I want a smart film pretending to be dumb fun; Deadpool.

If I want trippy 1970s sci-fi; Fantastic Planet.

If I want noir; Blade Runner.

If I want a western; Seven Samurai.

If I want something recent that really struck a chord; The Death of Stalin.

So that's ten films that spring to mind when thinking about favourites, today at least. Ask me tomorrow and some of them will have changed.
Myf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crazy Cat Lady

Flor-i-duh

My Mood:
Mine are mostly really weird, non mainstream movies:

• Night Of the Living Dead
  • Men in Black
  • Blues Brothers
  • The Big Lebowski
  • Fargo
  • Mulholland Drive (David Lynch's)
  • Magnolia (Paul Thomas Anderson)
  • Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
  • Starship Troopers
  • Blade Runner
  • Mad Max and the Thunderdome
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

I didn't like The Andromeda Strain, or really anything else by Michael Crichton. He's a guy trying to be a science fiction writer by doing a bunch of research but I never got the feeling from any of his books that he actually "gets it" about what he's writing about. He digs into it enough to find a "hook" then starts pounding out words until he's got a crisis then pulls a deus-ex-machina ending out to close things off.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rabblerouser

*SLU Supporter*

edible

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February, 2007

The Wizard of Oz
The Bird Cage
The Empire Strikes Back
When Harry met Sally
Mary Poppins
The Music Man
Forest Gump
National Lampoon's Animal House
shy poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
  • The Silence Of The Lambs
  • Goodfellas (saw both again recently, still favorites)
  • Dagon
  • Naked Lunch
  • Inherent Vice
  • The House On Haunted Hill
  • The Others
  • Van Helsing (it's an updated "Dracula meets the wolfman" ...what's not to like?)
  • Caligula

Pedestrian tastes are pedestrian...

-The Alan Parsons Project "Games People Play"
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Is the dealer

4 8 15 16 23 42

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/26/2006
Client: Singularity

Send a message via Yahoo to Randy Smadga
Storm of the Century-1999

Training Day-2001

Plus, a really old one that scared the shit outta me when I was a kid.
Duel-1971
Old 09-13-2018, 06:23 AM   #18 (permalink)
Noob

What should I put here?

My Mood:
My number one favorite movie is All About Eve with Bette Davis. I just love everything about it. I can watch this one over and over and over again. And I do .
Bamboo Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

Pop!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soen Eber View Post
Solaris
Tarkovsky's or Soderbergh's? Personally, I prefer Soderbergh's. Tarkovsky's could do with being trimmed.
Myf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

My Mood:

If the movie was directed by Kubrick, Brooks or Miyazaki; yeah. (^_^)y

Add Time Bandits, Mad Max, and Silence of the Lambs for the KEK of it. =^-^=
Imnotgoing Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Verti's Minion

*SLU Supporter*

Thirteen years of PURPLE!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 5, 2005
The one movie I keep coming back to every year or two is Ronin. It's got a heist, it's got betrayal, it's got a macguffin, it's got shootouts, and it's got possibly the best car chases in any movie since Bullitt.
Sean Gorham is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Along with Athena, move also your hand

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Yesterday
John Boorman's Excalibur. It went to the point that Boorman has picked two actors who hated each other for Morgana and Merlin.

Tzu-ch'i said, "Blowing on the ten thousand things in a different way, so that each can be itself - all take what they want for themselves, but who does the sounding?"
Twisted Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Darnk Juniorette View Post
Beetlejuice (tied really with the addams family).
Mrs. Quandry and I saw this on our first date a bit over 30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
Once Upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone (1968)

Léon the Professional by Luc Besson, 1994. Because. Everything. Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, Natalie Portman.

Mad Max II - The Road Warrior and Mad Max Fury Road (George Miller, 1981 und 2015). Don't have to explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Watership Down, The Princess Bride, Blade Runner, Groundhog Day, The Fifth Element
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
His Girl Friday

Big Trouble in Little China (Kurt Russel is just hillarious)
Quote:
Serenity
Who doesn't like Captain Mel?

Solaris
Thought provoking

2001: A Space Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
If I want a "chicken soup for the soul" movie; To Kill a Mockingbird.

If I want a witty script with lots of clever wordplay and banter; Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

If I want a smart film pretending to be dumb fun; Deadpool.

If I want noir; Blade Runner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Karuna View Post
  • The Big Lebowski
  • Fargo
  • Blade Runner
  • Mad Max and the Thunderdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotgoing Sideways View Post
Time Bandits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Pharaoh View Post
John Boorman's Excalibur.
Just need to add:
Ladyhawke
Brazil
Apocalypse Now
Stardust
Wasabi
A Chinese Ghost Story
Hardboiled
Split Second
Only Lovers Left Alive
Repo Man
Alien/Aliens (and no other movie in the series)
Pitch Black
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown/Tie Me Up Tie Me Down

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.

Last edited by Veritable Quandry; 09-13-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 09-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

I forgot to add The Lathe of Heaven.

Quote:
Orr's explanation of his drug abuse is incredible: he has known since age 17 that his dreams change reality, and tries to prevent himself from dreaming because he fears their effects.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
It was the only television or film project based on her work that Ursula LeGuinn approved.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed: