Roseanne - SLUniverse Forums
Old 03-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Roseanne

I was wary about the Roseanne revival because of Roseanne Barr's personal descent into crazy, but after watching it, I'm glad I did. I loved the original series, and the revival delves into some interesting topics right away. It's not a pro-Trump vehicle as I feared it might be - it's a realistic portrait of a working class family in 2018's America.

The Roseanne revival is incredibly honest about life in Trump’s America

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Thanks.

I am so on the fence over this. I really liked old Roseanne, but then its all "Roseanne is a proud deplorable" in the news and there is that screen shot where Jackie looks like some parody of a liberal.

But then its apparently executive produced by Ellen, so that seems good, I like Ellen and all.

But I don't want to support some garbage Trump crap.

So sounds like maybe its ok.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cat Herder

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/11/08
Sorry but all the pro-Trump advertising for the show in the last month or so completely turned me off on this revival. I enjoyed the original Roseanne but with all the reviews saying she did a complete flip-flop on Trump I decided not to even give it a try. I'm sure I'm not the only one that was turned off by the way this show was promoted. Whoever made those advertising decisions made it look like complete garbage.
Maggy Hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
I'm with you on the way it was promoted, but I would still give it a chance. It managed to surprise me, and I am as anti-Trump as they come.
Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
SLERPee

strange but not a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Quote:
Like her obvious forebear Archie Bunker, this new Roseanne can be all things to all people.
No. Her forebear Archie Bunker was played by stalwart progressive Carroll O'Connor. He knew Archie was a blathering blowhard and played him to comic effect. Does the Roseanne character come off the same way?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
The show was really really good.

It made me laugh at both sides of the political spectrum as well as made a tear or two leak from my eyes.

it's also co-produced by Sarah Gilbert as well with Roseanne still writing it.

(and yes, I do find it amusing the conservatives were holding it up as some sort of Right Wing Nut Job and I think Roseanne well played that one. Remember, she's also the one who sang the national anthem, grabbed her crotch and spit on the ground. So fast forward to a few of the comment sections of reviews for last night shows and it's comedy gold with far right conservatives *very upset* and never watching her again!

I don't know how to put a spoiler tag in here so can't explain
Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Harley View Post
The show was really really good.

It made me laugh at both sides of the political spectrum as well as made a tear or two leak from my eyes.

it's also co-produced by Sarah Gilbert as well with Roseanne still writing it.

(and yes, I do find it amusing the conservatives were holding it up as some sort of Right Wing Nut Job and I think Roseanne well played that one. Remember, she's also the one who sang the national anthem, grabbed her crotch and spit on the ground. So fast forward to a few of the comment sections of reviews for last night shows and it's comedy gold with far right conservatives *very upset* and never watching her again!

I don't know how to put a spoiler tag in here so can't explain
[ SPOILER ] *whatever you want to hide* [ / SPOILER ] (without the spaces between everything in the brackets)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Trump called Roseanne Barr to congratulate her on show reboot

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...reboot-n861061

"We talked about a lot of things, he is just happy for me," she continued. "I have known him for many years and he has done a lot of nice things for me over the years and it was just a friendly conversation about work and television and ratings."

....and that killed any intention of watching this.
PandoraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

As far as her friendship with Trump - as long as she keeps the criticism, sarcasm on both sides of the political spectrum versus leaning one way or the other, I'll continue watching. As long as she continues to showcase important matters like I described above in a positive light - I'll continue watching.
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Woke Woman

*SLU Supporter*

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

They're not "vagina hats", though. That's a rightwing narrative to try and change the conversation. Did they call it that on the show?
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
both sides
Oh how I hate that false equivalence.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
I saw both episodes and am withholding judgment for now to see where it goes. I think they gave her a little too much leeway in her explanation for voting Trump as "He was talking about jobs, Jackie" and having Jackie apologize while she did not. I also think they made Jackie look a bit daft when she was going on about the food industrial complex and that she voted Stein in the booth after conflicting emotions and not knowing anything about Stein.

I like that Sara Gilbert is Executive Producer and Wanda Sykes is a writer, but we do have past knowledge on how Roseanne tries to run the show from her previous series. I really like that having the boy dress in skirts is going to have the right wing who expects(ed) to have themselves validated is going to drive them nuts.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Scanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Oh how I hate that false equivalence.
This absolutely feels true to me even though I haven't figured out the wording to back it up. Might be wrong forum category, but feel free to inspire me.
Personally, I decided I won't spend my time trying to be entertained by her anymore unless she apologizes for her support and attempts some kind of amends. I liked the first show but I don't intend to give any more even a glance. Same with Papa John's.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Sorry. I can't bring myself to watch anything that woman is in. She is a screeching harpy, who is also a fucking hypocrite.

She lambasted the NFL players for taking a knee, yet she was the one who disrespected the very song she pretended to sing before a game back in the 90s. I'm not buying it.

The original show was okay, but only because of all the other players. I simply cannot stand Roseanne. At all. Especially not since she's become such a ranting looney trump supporter.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/15/07
I was willing to give the show a try since I enjoyed the original, but after seeing her tweet Saturday, it turned me off.

Twitter
Joodle Fadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 03-30-2018, 03:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh Lyric View Post
They're not "vagina hats", though. That's a rightwing narrative to try and change the conversation. Did they call it that on the show?
no, they didn't. And I'm not right wing but yet thought that was what they were prior to me even knowing that is what they called them.

What type of hats were they?
Old 03-30-2018, 03:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
no, they didn't. And I'm not right wing but yet thought that was what they were prior to me even knowing that is what they called them.

What type of hats were they?
They were hats shaped like cat ears.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
I'm going to hold off judgement ...and watching it... until a few more episodes are out.

From the sounds of it, though? I'm probably going to end up giving this a big huge wide pass.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*

always in need of coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
They were hats shaped like cat ears.
Seriously? I honestly thought they were vagina's to troll the far right because they can't even say the word let alone have to look at one.

My life is sorta ruined now
1 User Hugged You:
Old 03-30-2018, 05:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Quote:
Seriously? I honestly thought they were vagina's to troll the far right because they can't even say the word let alone have to look at one.

My life is sorta ruined now
Now, I'm thinking, "Poor Misty, she has the oddest looking vagina on the planet"

Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-30-2018, 06:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
What?

Business: Gadget's Gadgets
I can remember a time when not everything was about politics.

Hell, there was even a time when no one cared what an entertainer's politics were. You either appreciated the entertainment or you didn't.

Of course, in those days, moderates still existed, too.
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #22 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Portal View Post
I can remember a time when not everything was about politics.

Hell, there was even a time when no one cared what an entertainer's politics were. You either appreciated the entertainment or you didn't.

Of course, in those days, moderates still existed, too.
Roseanne was always overtly political, in particular on social issues. I remember when the network didn't want to air the kiss between Mariel Hemingway and Roseanne. It was quite the big deal back then. They didn't shy away from racism rearing its ugly head, either.

They showed the first company she worked at in a less than flattering light, which very much coincided with democratic beliefs at the time. They consistently were on the side of the little guy.

It is one of the reasons that new Roseanne (and her effort to inject her infatuation with Trump) is disappointing. She has forgotten her roots. Nobody who had the beliefs of the original Connors would have voted for Trump in a million years and her trying to plaster that onto the Roseanne character is ridiculous.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
Roseanne was always overtly political
Twitter

Roseanne plays Hitler for Heeb magazine
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #24 (permalink)
SLERPee

strange but not a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 07/15/2005
Business: Trudeau Classic Sailing Yachts
Excellent commentary on the reboot

Quote:
During a Television Critics Association panel promoting the show, Ms. Barr said, “it was working-class people who elected Trump.”

This myth persists, but it is only a myth. Forty-one percent of voters earning less than $50,000 voted for Mr. Trump while 53 percent voted for Hillary Clinton. Forty-nine percent of voters earning between $50,000 and $100,000 voted for Mr. Trump while 47 percent voted for Mrs. Clinton. The median income of these voters was $72,000, while the median income of Hillary Clinton voters was $61,000. A significant number of middle-class and wealthy white people contributed to Trump’s election.
Quote:
As I watched the first two episodes of the “Roseanne” reboot, I thought again about accountability. I laughed, yes, and enjoyed seeing the Conner family back on my screen. My first reaction was that the show was excellent. But I could not set aside what I know of Roseanne Barr and how toxic and dangerous her current public persona is. I could not overlook how the Conner family came together to support Mark as he was bullied at school for his gender presentation, after voting for a president who actively works against the transgender community. They voted for a president who doesn’t think the black life of their granddaughter matters. They act as if love can protect the most vulnerable members of their family from the repercussions of their political choices. It cannot.

This fictional family, and the show’s very real creator, are further normalizing Trump and his warped, harmful political ideologies.
The ‘Roseanne’ Reboot Is Funny. I’m Not Going to Keep Watching.
jacqueline trudeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
What?

Business: Gadget's Gadgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
Roseanne was always overtly political, in particular on social issues. I remember when the network didn't want to air the kiss between Mariel Hemingway and Roseanne. It was quite the big deal back then. They didn't shy away from racism rearing its ugly head, either.

They showed the first company she worked at in a less than flattering light, which very much coincided with democratic beliefs at the time. They consistently were on the side of the little guy.

It is one of the reasons that new Roseanne (and her effort to inject her infatuation with Trump) is disappointing. She has forgotten her roots. Nobody who had the beliefs of the original Connors would have voted for Trump in a million years and her trying to plaster that onto the Roseanne character is ridiculous.
Wasn't aware- I didn't watch the original, wasn't a fan, so I can't comment on it specifically.

I was just pointing out that when people reviewed movies, games, and TV shows, actual political affiliations rarely came up like they do today- and shows didn't hinge on it like this, either. Makes everything less fun.
Gadget Portal is offline   Reply With Quote