Ready Player one preview trailer - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > TV & Film » Ready Player one preview trailer

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #26 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Awards: 1
Super Science Award 
Spielberg spent too much time making this film all cluttered with retro bukkake nods and less on substance and competent storytelling. Yes I know the book is chock full of references but one can take the time and absorb them all at your own pace with a book, not so much with a movie that is so littered with them that you have a choice of trying to catch them all or pay attention to the storyline. Way too visually distracting which I suspect is intentional to hide the weaknesses of the movie. If Spielberg gets any awards for this, then you know the Oscars are completely rigged.

IMO Tye Sheridan is the love child of Shia Lebeouf and Adam Driver and that's not a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*whrr* *beep* DEAL WITH IT

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caete View Post
As she notes, how can we take the movie seriously if it has no furries in it?
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
3 Users Agreed:
Old 04-09-2018, 05:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

OK, I admit I haven't watched it all the way through because man how can anyone actually watch one of these long rambling videos but anyway...

Does she ever get into just how fucking creepy Wade's romcom antics are?

Edit: Oh, she goes into Halliday's creepy romcom antics. That'll do.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
I went and saw this finally.

It wasn't too bad. Not the most amazing story but not terrible. They changed up a few things from the book for sure to keep things more exciting.

I liked how they managed the real world vs Oasis and switching between. The CGI was pretty dang good too.

I will say, there were several momenta where it felt like the movie couldn't decide if it was a kids movie or a more adult movie. Honestly, if they removed the earlier lines about "losing your shit", the one Fuck, it kind of felt like a "kids movie" with all the CGI. I guess thats just kind of the culture we have around CGI.

Also, take a drink anytime an Activision character is on screen. Take two if its Tracer.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #30 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

#tfa

SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Does she ever get into just how fucking creepy Wade's romcom antics are?
Most of which didn't make it from the book into the movie.
Jopsy Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #31 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsy Pendragon View Post
Most of which didn't make it from the book into the movie.
Hal-e-bloody-lu-lia.

Sounds like Halliday took that burden on, though.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
The movie was better than the book.

My beef with the book is the author had problems with style. "Footnotes are cool!"
"Oh wait. It's the second chapter. Fuck the footnotes. Nobody will notice the style difference." That, and a couple paragraphs were in past tense and present tense. Actually in the same sentence. Did this man never take English classes?

Also, "I want to write a James Bond novel, but don't know fuck all about spies and intrigue, so let's just write a thing about esoteric 80s references that even fans of Gygax won't get, and then make sure that the kid knows War Games word for word for the win."

Plus, "Oh, my family and the only person who ever seemed to love me just got blown up. Bummer. Okay, I play games nao."

But the movie was much smarter in the way it handled stuff, and unlike the book, had some emotional character development, even if Wade Watts was a creeper kid. The pop culture references made a little more sense in the movie than they did with the book.

That said, the changes made to the overall story worked really well in the movie. I'm not sure I could have sat through Parzival reenacting War Games. That was a good movie and all, but not Memorize the Shit Out of it good.
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
Padawan Harper

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
Why are IOI agents called Sixers? I would call them Fivers. But I haven't read the book.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #34 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamon View Post
Why are IOI agents called Sixers? I would call them Fivers. But I haven't read the book.
They all have a serial number, instead of an avatar name. All the serial numbers are six digits long.

The Oasis is like Second Life, if all pop culture was suddenly rendered public domain. And had better graphics.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Eel View Post
They all have a serial number, instead of an avatar name. All the serial numbers are six digits long.

The Oasis is like Second Life, if all pop culture was suddenly rendered public domain. And had better graphics.
So... Its sort of loke VR Chat. Where people just pull pop culture in anyway.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:49 AM   #36 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
I've seen bot farms like that.

Quote:
And RLV was built into the standard viewer. And Prok managed to stop free teleport, but instead made it actually cost money. And disable fly actually worked.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 04-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #37 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:

And RLV was built into the standard viewer. And Prok managed to stop free teleport, but instead made it actually cost money. And disable fly actually worked.
Hey, I have an idea oh how to make SL better.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

#tfa

Quote:

And because "Fiver" is a 'Watership Down' character, from before 1980.
1 User Said Awww:
Old 04-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
DJ's for Aural Pleasure

Hold On To Yourself

My Mood:
Well there's that. However, Monty Python and the Holy Grail was released in 1975 and still made it into the book, so...well you know. Inconsistencies.
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
And because "Fiver" is a 'Watership Down' character, from before 1980.
If anything that woukd be more reason for the book to call them Fivers. Like 90% of the content is just a reference to something else.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #41 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Prok managed to stop free teleport, but instead made it actually cost money.
I either managed to miss or forget that part of the comedy-drama that is Prok. Actually we pay a nominal cost if you want to teleport in Guild Wars 2 but it is so nominal you only notice it if you are completely broke. Like well under half a L$ (if I remember both exchange rates correctly) to teleport clear across the world.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #42 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
I either managed to miss or forget that part of the comedy-drama that is Prok. Actually we pay a nominal cost if you want to teleport in Guild Wars 2 but it is so nominal you only notice it if you are completely broke. Like well under half a L$ (if I remember both exchange rates correctly) to teleport clear across the world.
I have not played it a lot lately, I am like level 20 or something. But I remember thinking that pay to TP was lame at forst, when I was like level 2. I already forget its a thing.

Honestly, I almost prefer that to the annoying methods WoW uses with cool downs and ONE hearth location, which I have had set to the Shrine since forever because its the only place with convenient portals to everywhere else. (Ie, they are all in a room, not scattered all over the city).
Old 04-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #43 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

#tfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I have not played it a lot lately, I am like level 20 or something. But I remember thinking that pay to TP was lame at forst, when I was like level 2. I already forget its a thing.

Honestly, I almost prefer that to the annoying methods WoW uses with cool downs and ONE hearth location, which I have had set to the Shrine since forever because its the only place with convenient portals to everywhere else. (Ie, they are all in a room, not scattered all over the city).
It's not so bad now, New Dalaran has its own new hearthsone and two major portal clusters. I set my regular hearthstone to the vindicaar, which is really close to new Dalaran, in case I need to get back in less than 15 min. Also, I use an add-on called "tome of teleportation" which is smart about toys, trinkets, capes, spells and any other long range teleport abilities,... as a mage or engineer, it's like having a magic bag full of hearthstone.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #44 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
It's not so bad now, New Dalaran has its own new hearthsone and two major portal clusters. I set my regular hearthstone to the vindicaar, which is really close to new Dalaran, in case I need to get back in less than 15 min. Also, I use an add-on called "tome of teleportation" which is smart about toys, trinkets, capes, spells and any other long range teleport abilities,... as a mage or engineer, it's like having a magic bag full of hearthstone.
I may have to check into that add on. Sounds like it says "where to you want to go" then picks the right item maybe?

On a somewhat related note, probably my most annoying TP device is the Cape of Orgrimmar or whatever its called, because I have to wear it, then remember to wear my regular cape.

As we get more specialized Hearthstones, like the Dalaran and Garrison ones, I kind of feel like we should get one for Org/Stormwind. Not every capital, just the main central hubs. The next expansion seems to be going back to the main world a bit, so maybe they will use that as an excuse for a Main City Special hearth.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #45 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf

#tfa

Quote:
most annoying TP device is the Cape of Orgrimmar or whatever its called, because I have to wear it, then remember to wear my regular cape..
The addon takes care of that for you.

fwiw I almost never leave The Broken Isles&Argus, the loading screens to change continents take noticeably longer. If I need the auction house, I switch to my main/engineer and use the AH bot in new Dalaran's engineer shop.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #46 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:

Yeah, even though it costs the most at max level you notice it more when you are just starting and have nearly no gold at all.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #47 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
The addon takes care of that for you.

fwiw I almost never leave The Broken Isles&Argus, the loading screens to change continents take noticeably longer. If I need the auction house, I switch to my main/engineer and use the AH bot in new Dalaran's engineer shop.
It really annoys me that Dalaran has no AH.

I leave the area quite a bit. At this point I only come back to do my daily rep grinds for flying. I had dreams of buying that glowey gold robot mount on Argus until I noticed it was 500k. Screw that noise.

I like to do a lot of older content. I have probably done most of it by now but I started in Pandaria, so I like to go to Northrend and Outland do do those quests. But as a max level god, not as some weak leveling alt.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #48 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:

It is sort of like having to visit an NPC or an anvil to repair your armor. Years ago it cost but now the cost is the time to go to one and clicking through the dialogs. At this point it is 'look, just do away with the whole concept of armor damage, it is more an annoyance than a cost'.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:53 AM   #49 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Super Science Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Yeah, even though it costs the most at max level you notice it more when you are just starting and have nearly no gold at all.
You can always jump into WvW from any place in the regular world for free, then take the Lion's Arch portal there for free and then portal to any of the cities for free from there. Sure costs a bit of time to zone but if money's that tight, or your lowbie wants some disco xp for new places, can't really beat it.

Meanwhile over in EQ2 land, if you're a subscribing player (not a free no monthly charge one) you can tp from any place in the world to any other place that has a druid ring, wizard spire and/or world travel bell. This doesn't cover all of the world but pretty damn close and what is not covered is just a quick run away.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:37 AM   #50 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

But do they have trap malls around the telehubs?