woot! Next Doctor Who will be revealed Sunday!!! - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > TV & Film » woot! Next Doctor Who will be revealed Sunday!!!

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #26 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
This is just humor, not commentary on the choice for the new Doctor:

Also: Gallifreyans have two hearts. Maybe they have two of their other body parts.
DanielRavenNest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
I prefer calling them "Broflakes", and I don't give a rats ass if they are unhappy. This is a change the show needed if it is going to survive. Expect high ratings for at least a couple of episodes. If the writing is solid, and they tweak the formula enough to be different, the ratings should remain high.

I'd love to see a complete shake up of the format of the show. Lots of companions, an ensemble show! No more Steve Moffat style doctor ex machina endings where the Doctor pulls out miracle at the last minute.

Last year there were 8 time travel shows on TV: Timeless, Time After Time, Sleepy Hollow, Frequency, Making History, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, and Legends of Tomorrow.

The best of the bunch was Legends of Tomorrow (season 2 -- season 1 kind of sucked), which had a blonde female in charge a diverse group of talents looking to save time from other time travelers wanting to change it for their own gain. It was fun, it was well written, and it worked.

Make Doctor Who more like that!
Old 07-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariane View Post
I prefer calling them "Broflakes", and I don't give a rats ass if they are unhappy. This is a change the show needed if it is going to survive. Expect high ratings for at least a couple of episodes. If the writing is solid, and they tweak the formula enough to be different, the ratings should remain high.

I'd love to see a complete shake up of the format of the show. Lots of companions, an ensemble show! No more Steve Moffat style doctor ex machina endings where the Doctor pulls out miracle at the last minute.

Last year there were 8 time travel shows on TV: Timeless, Time After Time, Sleepy Hollow, Frequency, Making History, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, and Legends of Tomorrow.

The best of the bunch was Legends of Tomorrow (season 2 -- season 1 kind of sucked), which had a blonde female in charge a diverse group of talents looking to save time from other time travelers wanting to change it for their own gain. It was fun, it was well written, and it worked.

Make Doctor Who more like that!
Yes, it will be deliciously fun if for every one of them that leaves 10 people come in that like the change and she winds up being considered the best doctor of all time. Pretty much any argument they come up with is so easy to poke holes in (umm, you do realize this is fiction, right?) you can virtually do it on autopilot.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Awards: 1
Super Science Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich Templar View Post
But still not ginger...
...nor black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caete View Post
...nor black.
Actually, when a black actor was in the lead one of my thoughts was 'umm, I think Cristel Dee (a DW cosplayer) is going to run into some issues'.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post

I saw this image on twitter right before the announcement. The funny thing is it is true. Every. Single. Time. If twitter had existed back then I am sure it would have been true starting with Troughton.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Anyone who's OK with Tom Baker and freaking out about this needs to get a grip.

Pertwee 4 Evar.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 07-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
I am tickled to see Jodie Whittaker's ascension as a Time Lord as the top story across all of the Guardian. And she gets to beat out Trump, too. ^_^

"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Anyone who's OK with Tom Baker and freaking out about this needs to get a grip.

Pertwee 4 Evar.
Yeah, that misogynist who has been an asshole about both anniversary specials after him and cons is not worth being called a doctor. Thankfully I saw Pertwee eps before him even though Baker was the one a lot of americans saw first. Handily my geek clique was into brit sf so I learned about the show fast.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 PM   #35 (permalink)

meaniehead

My Mood:

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 

Attached Thumbnails
woot! Next Doctor Who will be revealed Sunday!!!-19983975_1439631962758157_5913044184486309380_o.jpg   woot! Next Doctor Who will be revealed Sunday!!!-20157937_1732536473441457_3135136099372295800_o.jpg  
Old 07-16-2017, 11:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Noob

What should I put here?

My Mood:
I have to say I am quite excited that they picked a woman this time.

I remember watching the Tom Baker ones when I was younger, but it was a show we watched when nothing else was on on Sundays.

I have only seen the show since Matt Smith took it over as I decided to binge watch on Netflix one night and that is the season I started watching.

I am not really attached to any specific Doctor so far I have like both Matt and Peter in the role. I guess at some point I will watch the other ones.

I will definately be watching this when the new season starts again.
Bamboo Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #37 (permalink)

Looking down at the uncanny valley

My Mood:
Scene I want to see:

Dressed in whatever Capaldi was last wearing, the female Doctor goes in search of women's clothes, and in quick succession comes out wearing:

* A red and black plaid dress with a short skirt and black stockings (like what Clara usually wore) "Nope"
* Amy's police "kiss-o-gram" uniform "Definitely not, I think I'll stick with trousers"
* Rose's pink hoodie from season 1 episode 1 "a little too casual"
* Ace's vintage flight jacket with all the pins "a little too retro"

you get the idea...

ETA: Especially if she ends up wearing Martha Jones's grape leather jacket with Osgood's scarf, because that would be my idea of the perfect female Doctor Who outfit

Last edited by Ariane; 07-17-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Ariane is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 07-17-2017, 01:06 AM   #38 (permalink)
La Vie Boheme

It's all relative

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2005
I'm really excited about the possibilities now. Sooooo many new storylines to explore! Will the Doctor face sexism in past societies? Will the Doctor find a husband? Will the Doctor figure out the joys of tampons???

Maddie Blaustein: the very definition of wit.
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #39 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Graves View Post

Twitter
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 AM   #40 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Dressed in whatever Capaldi was last wearing [...]
I think she could totally kill Capaldi's red-lined jacket. It's one of my favorite Doctor outfits, and a nice retrospective on Pertwee's red-lined cape.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #41 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Graves View Post

Yes, there were variations of many of the first already. I saw the second tweet somewhere. Among the better replies I saw were that girls today will grow up with BOTH a cinematic superhero (Wonder Woman) and a major sci-fi TV hero (Doctor Who) as role models. Of course, young boys have had that for a long time so how can it be a bad thing?
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 AM   #42 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Scene I want to see:

Dressed in whatever Capaldi was last wearing, the female Doctor goes in search of women's clothes, and in quick succession comes out wearing:

* A red and black plaid dress with a short skirt and black stockings (like what Clara usually wore) "Nope"
* Amy's police "kiss-o-gram" uniform "Definitely not, I think I'll stick with trousers"

you get the idea...

ETA: Especially if she ends up wearing Martha Jones's grape leather jacket with Osgood's scarf, because that would be my idea of the perfect female Doctor Who outfit
Not to forget the 80s flight attendant uniform that Tegan inexplicably kept to even though she had plenty of time to change. Yes, it is a classic shtick to evoke memories of past actors (think Davidson) but she could have fun with it since a lot of the female companions got stuck in something not very practical (tries to avoid mentioning Leela's pre-Gallifrey outfit, fails).
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #43 (permalink)

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:

Super Science Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Yes, there were variations of many of the first already. I saw the second tweet somewhere. Among the better replies I saw were that girls today will grow up with BOTH a cinematic superhero (Wonder Woman) and a major sci-fi TV hero (Doctor Who) as role models. Of course, young boys have had that for a long time so how can it be a bad thing?
There's always this:

Old 07-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #44 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Is someone saying something or is there just the tweets?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #45 (permalink)

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:

Super Science Award 
Quote:
Scene I want to see:

you get the idea...

No, we do not need to make her first bit of screen time into a session of Barbie Fashion Show. That would be the wrong direction to take. A better take on this idea would be for her to go off to the wardrobe, search through the racks of clothes and have those items (and perhaps others) just hanging there, not calling them out but they are there, like an easter egg a silent nod.

Over the run of the show, companions have stopped changing clothes in each episode for the most part. It helps continuity and also cuts down on the expenditures for wardrobe. They still change if the story directly calls for it (anything victorian usually) but the last companion who wore something different in each episode was Sarah. After her, they mainly had a main costume and an alternate style to wear. So for the Doctor to have gathered up their outfits is a bit too stalker creepy restraining order typeish. Clara was always seen changing at home, so the Doctor just nipped in and took a few things? Ace would never leave her jacket behind so the Doctor stole it from her deathbed? Etc.

How I'd play it, and minimize the whole I've got etheric beam locators aspect ( love ya Joanna <3) would be for the Doctor to go off to the wardrobe, we see nods to the past as she sorts through things and comes out in an outfit evoking the past with nods yet is all her own. No damn celery, no scarf, no sonic lipstick. Just a practical outfit and no stiletto heels because we "women wear heels all the time" and they give you +12 speed against dinosaurs...

The moment the storylines shift focus from The Doctor is The Doctor to The Doctor is a woman, we kind of lose any traction. That said, it would be nice to see some past interactions revisited but only if the Doctor being female is lightly touched upon. Osgood might be taken aback very briefly but I'm sure Kate Lethbridge-Stewart would barely give the "situation" a nod.

As for all the hate towards Moffat for making this, I don't really understand it. No one seemed to be upset about Joanna Lumley being the Doctor. Was it because it was for comedy? A one off story? What if, just if, The Curse of Fatal Death is canon? I'm insane you say? Well, think again, it was written by Steven Moffat. Now let that sink in and let the conspiracy theories begin! "OMG IT WUZ HIZ PLAN ALL ALONG!!"

TL;DR version: Treat the Doctor as if nothing is out of the ordinary, just another regeneration. Regardless of the clothes, actor, show runner, it is still Doctor Who and the Doctor will always be the Doctor regardless of sex, colour, religion etc. As long as we don't make this latest version into Torchwood, I'm fine with it and will enjoy a new series of episodes with my favourite telly sci fi show, Doctor Who.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 07-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #46 (permalink)

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:

Super Science Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
Is someone saying something or is there just the tweets?
Mainly just the channel making light of some of the more deep end comments.

I never understood the whole "my childhood is ruined" pearl clutching. Not like they actually went back in time and made what you saw as a kid different. Just means your current enjoyment may be altered by your own narrow mindedness. (Not you, I'm using a general version of you not a specific)

They can always just go back and rewatch any previous episodes/seasons they have on DVD, tape, downloaded and pretend the current incarnation doesn't exist. Kind of like how some Whovians pretend Adric never exisited or the fourth season of Torchwood was ever made.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #47 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
Quote:

I never understood the whole "my childhood is ruined" pearl clutching. Not like they actually went back in time and made what you saw as a kid different. Just means your current enjoyment may be altered by your own narrow mindedness. (Not you, I'm using a general version of you not a specific)
they could of...
tell this to star trek fans and the people who hate the new movies...

they reached the end of the doctors current regeneration cycle. they could of easily claimed the new regeneration cycle as the first cycle again. re do the orginal episodes with a few differences. people would still watch it.

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #48 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Over the run of the show, companions have stopped changing clothes in each episode for the most part. It helps continuity and also cuts down on the expenditures for wardrobe. They still change if the story directly calls for it (anything victorian usually) but the last companion who wore something different in each episode was Sarah. After her, they mainly had a main costume and an alternate style to wear. So for the Doctor to have gathered up their outfits is a bit too stalker creepy restraining order typeish. Clara was always seen changing at home, so the Doctor just nipped in and took a few things? Ace would never leave her jacket behind so the Doctor stole it from her deathbed? Etc.
Yes, Sarah was an example I was thinking of too of someone who changed outfits. In new who we have many more instances of companions whose home is their normal home and the Doctor picks them up before an adventure so presumably they have access to their wardrobe and washing machine. A few characters had a believable story why they did not change, like Adric being dressed the way his culture always dressed (except he had a gold star for maths).

Quote:
The moment the storylines shift focus from The Doctor is The Doctor to The Doctor is a woman, we kind of lose any traction. That said, it would be nice to see some past interactions revisited but only if the Doctor being female is lightly touched upon. Osgood might be taken aback very briefly but I'm sure Kate Lethbridge-Stewart would barely give the "situation" a nod.
Exactly. I hardly expect it to be business as usual for everyone but I do expect the 'what, you have a new face' to be more the norm.

Quote:
As for all the hate towards Moffat for making this, I don't really understand it. No one seemed to be upset about Joanna Lumley being the Doctor. Was it because it was for comedy? A one off story? What if, just if, The Curse of Fatal Death is canon? I'm insane you say? Well, think again, it was written by Steven Moffat. Now let that sink in and let the conspiracy theories begin! "OMG IT WUZ HIZ PLAN ALL ALONG!!"
If 'Curse of the Fatal Death' was canon then lore-wise there are much bigger issues than a female regeneration! For starters, where were they when Gallifrey was saved? Slackers!
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #49 (permalink)
Tea Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Cherry red lips and sick on her boots

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 26th April 2007

Best Anglo-Saxon High Horse Reference 
This is the best response to the news I've seen - It really demonstrates how important this is

Twitter

Vanguard of the LolCatz Revolution
This Post was financed by The National LolCatz Archives

Clancy Sullivan :Yeah. YEAH! The sultry seamstress of mirth is definitely in charge now.
Certified 7.8 on the Official Non-Arbitrary Trout Algorithmic Slut scale

A public copy of my Second Life Main Grid Survey Database can be found at http://www.gridsurvey.com - Now with added Second Life Incidents !!

Tyche Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 07-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #50 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyche Shepherd View Post
This is the best response to the news I've seen - It really demonstrates how important this is

https://twitter.com/Jenny_Trout/stat...15696062459908
Yes, that one is getting a lot of retweets. Guys that are all 'back in my day we had a male doctor' are forgetting something key. They also had one more role model on the screen. Odds are they do not need one now though (although some of their tweets have me wondering).
2 Users Agreed: