Netflix wants to remake Lost in Space - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > TV & Film » Netflix wants to remake Lost in Space

Sponsor:
Wicked Muses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2015, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

*whrr* *beep* DEAL WITH IT

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Netflix wants to remake Lost in Space

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Netflix Is Bringing Lost In Space Back For Your Binging Pleasure
Quote:
Netflix might as well be known as the Island of Lost TV Shows. The latest show to be resurrected from the dead is 1965’s Lost In Space, which comes to Netflix after a “competitive situation, with multiple bidders”.

There have been multiple attempts to bring the story back. In 1998, New Line Cinemas released a film directed by Stephen Hopkins and starring William Hurt, Matt LeBlanc, and Gary Oldman. The film was a box office and critical failure, which killed a planned film sequel. Despite that, Kevin Burns of Synthesis Entertainment had worked to try and bring the show back as a television show in the late 1990s. A pilot directed by John Woo for a revised show was created in 2003 by Doug Petrie for the WB, but it was never picked up for a series. (You can find the pilot uploaded to the internet in various places)

The new show will reportedly be directed by Neil Marshall, who’s worked on television shows such as Hannibal, Constantine and Game of Thrones.
I guess my only question is, will they have the guts to infuse it with the kind of camp the original show sported?

Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Why? Why?

Are there really legions of Lost in Space fans clamoring for new episodes? If so, they are probably showing signs of dementia and should be ignored. It wasn't even a good show when I watched it as a child.

And camp.... camp is probably the hardest quality of all to try to recreate, especially half a century later.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
As A Service

SL Join Date: Jan 9, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Why? Why?

Are there really legions of Lost in Space fans clamoring for new episodes? If so, they are probably showing signs of dementia and should be ignored. It wasn't even a good show when I watched it as a child.
It was also the show that CBS chose over Star Trek. They just decided to wait 40 years to own Star Trek.

Next up, lets bring back Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Tine Tunnel and Land of the Giants.
Brenda Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
People want new original content, I swear we do.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

SL Join Date: April 2006
Business: [e bar]
Client: FS

Oh wow, I don't know how I feel about this. I'm a huge fan of the show and hated the movie. Plus Jonathan Harris is Dr. Smith. NO ONE is going to be as good as he was in that role.

*le sigh*. I wish Hollywood would leave some of these old classic shows and movies the hell alone. Not everything needs a reboot.
Ellen Cordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Rawr

My Mood:
Client: SL Viewer 5
The first season of that show had a story going on, and I always wondered how that would have turned out if the show didn't abruptly jump on the Batman bandwagon. That might be a fun one for somebody to play with, but they would probably want to change the name to sneak around goofball expectations.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-22-2015, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
As A Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cordeaux View Post
Oh wow, I don't know how I feel about this. I'm a huge fan of the show and hated the movie. Plus Jonathan Harris is Dr. Smith. NO ONE is going to be as good as he was in that role.

*le sigh*. I wish Hollywood would leave some of these old classic shows and movies the hell alone. Not everything needs a reboot.
Hollywood in general needs a reboot.

In their ass.

I love all those old 60's shows, they were after school staples for me when I was a kid. You can't recapture that camp feeling without it coming off contrived or stupidly silly beyond what makes it fun. It's a product of the writers and the times as much as anything else.

TV writers were a different breed back then. They all had a little hack in them when needed. Like the song writers in the Brill Building in New York they churned things out in remarkable time and moved on to the next project too.

Budgets also were a factor in the style of those shows. They had so little money to work with they would have to do all sorts of strange things to get a show made.

Finally the actors. The era of the television star was still young. A lot of the actors in those TV shows were film and stage actors who brought those techniques with them and it would often bring unique results.

I agree, it would be near impossible to find ANYONE who could play Dr Smith like Jonathan Harris.

Many years ago on the old "Opie and Anthony" radio show, before they went to satellite, Jonathan Harris called in. Anthony Cumia is a dead on impressionist and Harris was one of his favorites. It was one of their funniest segments.

1 User Likes This:
Old 11-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cordeaux View Post
Plus Jonathan Harris is Dr. Smith. NO ONE is going to be as good as he was in that role.

I would argue that he was the single reason the show survived for more than a few episodes.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Conspicuous Authenticity

My Mood:
There's only one thing about a Lost in Space remake that appeals to me (and I have no idea if Netflix will even play it up).

I like space-operas that take place on board ships that are around the size of Firefly, Millennium Falcon, or a Space Winnebago. I love a group dynamic of around 5-7 people, isolated from help, encountering dangerous alien threats while carrying only what they stuffed into their Space Land Rover! This has always been exciting to me.

I loved the scene in Forbidden Planet when they set up force shields around the perimeter of the ship and waited for the giant invisible space monster to come along. Very scary! This was always more compelling to me than Star Trek's depiction of life on-board a luxury space liner.

But this is just how I would write the show. I have no idea what they'll actually do with it. Also remember ALL shows from that era were horribly campy. More likely than anything, writers are going to make up a whole new show that will use the Lost in Space brand recognition to help sell it.

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
As A Service

Quote:
I loved the scene in Forbidden Planet when they set up force shields around the perimeter of the ship and waited for the giant invisible space monster to come along. Very scary!
That has to be one of scariest scenes in Hollywood history. Not overtly, but the way it built up, the tension and anticipation was excruciating, especially watching it at a younger age. Masterful writing, acting and directing. I've always loved Forbidden Planet, but as I get older and watch it again, I realize what a masterpiece it is.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
At least it will be somewhere where I can not accidentally watch it.

The original LIS practically is a cult series now, even though it is a small one. The campiness, the now-non-belivable robot, and so on.

They should have taken a lesson from the massive success of the other remake (NOT). It is like remaking Plan 9.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

*Kicks open the spaceship door*

Took them a while, but...

No camp to be seen in this teaser, and Robot gets a Hollywood's version of the future tech voice modulation.

Why do I keep hoping it'll be worth it? I'm not even that much of a fan of the original.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

As someone with no sentimental connection to the original show, I'm indifferent about this.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Are there really legions of Lost in Space fans clamoring for new episodes? If so, they are probably showing signs of dementia and should be ignored.
lol, mean
Old 02-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
As someone with no sentimental connection to the original show, I'm indifferent about this.
Thanks for the input.
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-24-2018, 04:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
Thanks for the input.
Everyone is entitled to my lack of opinion.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to my lack of opinion.
And everyone is entitled to mock it. It's a vicious circle where no one gets ahead.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
And everyone is entitled to mock it.
Is there a mouse in your pocket?
Old 02-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Those of us who are old enough to have actually seen this show on network television are now in our 50s and 60s, which is not the target audience for any network.

So I'm still trying to figure out why anyone thinks the "Lost in Space" brand has any meaning or impact on younger generations, who ARE the target demographic.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Is there a mouse in your pocket?
Of course there is. What a stupid question.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
So I'm still trying to figure out why anyone thinks the "Lost in Space" brand has any meaning or impact on younger generations, who ARE the target demographic.
Maybe it's one of those weird unexpected hipster fandoms the rest of us will never decipher?
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-24-2018, 05:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
People want new original content, I swear we do.
It may yet end up being original content.

Think about it: a non- (or barely-) serial television show basically already reuses a setting and a set of characters over and over again to tell several different and usually unrelated stories. A series reboot makes small changes to the setting and often the characters, and then just carries on telling more stories with them. The point isn't necessarily to measure up to the original show or really "remake" it; like Aimee says, "small group trapped on a small spaceship" was a heck of a good setting for telling stories, and that didn't stop being true just because the original show ended.

Using an old show definitely is a gamble, because the point is to draw the eyes of people who know about the old one and will want to compare the new one to it, and hopefully decide the new one has some merit on its own. Sometimes it works too - Hawaii Five-O is on its eighth season right now and people love it.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #23 (permalink)

Rusty

My Mood:
Quote:
But does it matter? Does it have to have any meaning to a new audience? To anyone who has never seen the original or even heard of it then it's just a new sci-fi series that can succeed (or not) on its own merit.

Think of it not so much as a remake of a '60s show but as an original show based on the same core concept - a Swiss Family Robinson in space type thing. Why not call it it 'Lost In Space' for want of a better name? They might as well. Or they could have called it 'Space Family Robinson' after the comic book which predated the old show I guess.
wesleytron is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 02-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Those of us who are old enough to have actually seen this show on network television are now in our 50s and 60s, which is not the target audience for any network.

It's a weird thing, but "retro" has kinda become it's own point. People like callbacks to old stuff, even if that stuff is not necessarily from THEIR own past. Like...it would be an absolute dream of mine to own a 1957 Chevy Bel-Air. I mean but why? They were never a part of my life, I've never even ridden in one before.

Sci-fi fans also have this weird propensity to "nostalgia" for stuff that came way before their own time. Why would millennials or even Gen X'ers care so much about John Carter of Mars, or HP Lovecraft, or Conan the Barbarian? That stuff was written before their parents were born. Sherlock Holmes was written before their grandparents were born. But, they seriously geek out all over it.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Most likely this is one of those "I loved that show when I was N years old, can we get the rights for it?" deals where audience or content don't really come into the discussion. But anyways, just who was asking for a Full House return, and now we've had 3 complete seasons of Fuller House! Life is madness.

Tags
why???