Netflix wants to remake Lost in Space - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Old 03-06-2018, 07:43 PM   #51 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
What, WHAT? Parker Posey is playing Dr. Smith? WTF WHO IS THE ACTUAL GENIUS WHO MADE THAT DECISION?!
Old 03-06-2018, 08:46 PM   #52 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caete View Post
GASP!!

Here's a good episode to get you introduced to it then.

Reboot - Season 2 Episode 4 - Bad Bob - YouTube
Thanks. Not my cup of tea. Sorry.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #53 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
I was pretty dubious about this concept, but based on the trailer I'm in for the first episode.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #54 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Super Science Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
I stil have high hopes for this. I can deal with the Jupiter II being more realistic than ufoish. The robot's design though...

#notmyrobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #55 (permalink)

also Netflix is working on a new Dark Crystal movie, henson company is working on it. really looking forward to that, its one of my favorite movies
PandoraB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
3 Users Like This:
Old 03-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #56 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Quote:
I stil have high hopes for this. I can deal with the Jupiter II being more realistic than ufoish. The robot's design though...

#notmyrobot
Similar to the feelings I had about Marvin in THGttG movie vs the TV show.

WAITWHATNO!
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #57 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

If Dr Smith doesn't turn into a giant spider I'm not watching it.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #58 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Quote:

#notmyrobot
I liked it and it seems clear from the trailer that the robot was not something they were familiar with, so they've acquired it post-disaster by the look of things. Which can add a nice creepy uncertainty to it all.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #59 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
If Dr Smith doesn't turn into a giant spider I'm not watching it.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #60 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Obligatory Apollo 440... the reworked theme was the best thing in the '98 movie.

Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #61 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Jeez. What a bunch of old fuddy duddies.

/me runs
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:12 AM   #62 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Super Science Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
I liked it and it seems clear from the trailer that the robot was not something they were familiar with, so they've acquired it post-disaster by the look of things. Which can add a nice creepy uncertainty to it all.
This version of the robot is alien and seems WIll encounters it and brings it back. So yeah, not of their technology. The issue I have is it is too Dr Who guy in a suit for my liking. Hopefully the episodes will change my mind.

But when I see the design, I can't help but think that this

and

got to grinding gears and doing some p2p in the back room...
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #63 (permalink)
The Purple

Adoring goats.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Obligatory Apollo 440... the reworked theme was the best thing in the '98 movie.

Apollo 440 - Lost In Space (Theme) (Video) - YouTube
The soundtrack in general was really good. Definitely the best part of that whole thing.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #64 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
What, WHAT? Parker Posey is playing Dr. Smith? WTF WHO IS THE ACTUAL GENIUS WHO MADE THAT DECISION?!
Huh? If they are doing that then they pretty much lost the point of the character? Not that you could probably get away with another closeted gay guy doing camp, but this almost sounds like a total reboot.

"Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out." Cristiano

"Why? Don't like me ban me" Cathiee
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 03-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #65 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandoraB View Post
also Netflix is working on a new Dark Crystal movie, henson company is working on it. really looking forward to that, its one of my favorite movies
A version done by the same company but with modern resources I would love to see. I just hope it will be available on blu-ray and/or digital as I am not about to get netflix just for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
Similar to the feelings I had about Marvin in THGttG movie vs the TV show.

WAITWHATNO!
You mean you did not see the cameo of the original marvin? Cue up the scene waiting in line on vogspere again.
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 04-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #66 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

To quote a Youtube commenter: "Onslaught of radical feminism continues....."

Well, obviously...
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Like This:
Old 04-09-2018, 01:50 AM   #67 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

This show had better not disappoint, cuz I'm kinda starting to get hyped...
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #68 (permalink)
Padawan Harper

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandoraB View Post
doesn't know which button to push because the emotions are confusingly conflicting.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #69 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

OK so after burning through the first 3 episodes tonight, all I'll say for now is, they have Battlestar Galactica'ed the shit out of this.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-14-2018, 01:36 AM   #70 (permalink)

whatever

I'm half way into episode 4. Reminds me one specific reason I was somewhat hesitant to have anything to do with this series. The same reason it took me roughly 30 years to watch Star Trek TNG. Kids. I do not really like watching shows where (a) major character(s) are kids. And like 90% of the main characters on Lost in Space are kids. Or, at least, young adults. Admittedly, there was just Wesley on TNG, but . . that's enough.

Okay, not 90%. 50%? Okay, 50%, but they take up something like 90% of the storylines.

There's just so much crying and whimpering on this show. Shesh. And I believe I like, oh, 0% of the characters.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 04-14-2018, 04:03 AM   #71 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
OK so after burning through the first 3 episodes tonight, all I'll say for now is, they have Battlestar Galactica'ed the shit out of this.
that's all I needed to know.

Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 04-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #72 (permalink)

lesser spotted swivel eyed loon

My Mood:
Business: The Tiggerworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi Gynoid View Post
I'm half way into episode 4. Reminds me one specific reason I was somewhat hesitant to have anything to do with this series. The same reason it took me roughly 30 years to watch Star Trek TNG. Kids. I do not really like watching shows where (a) major character(s) are kids. And like 90% of the main characters on Lost in Space are kids. Or, at least, young adults. Admittedly, there was just Wesley on TNG, but . . that's enough.

Okay, not 90%. 50%? Okay, 50%, but they take up something like 90% of the storylines.

There's just so much crying and whimpering on this show. Shesh. And I believe I like, oh, 0% of the characters.
Even in the original this was a story about a family - 2 parents and some kids - lost in space. Surely you knew the family would be the major part of the story?

But this remake gives us a lot of other characters - everybody else from all the other jupiters and the Resolute. Other than the colonist leader's son, we aren't really seeing anything of other kids.

Of the major characters we've met so far there are 4 kids. The rest are all adults.

Personally I'm rather enjoying it ( 6 episodes in). Much better than I was expecting it to be. I find Penny to be the most likeable so far, with Judy as the golden girl of the family and Will as the baby, Penny seems the most hard done by and taken for granted. Can't stand the father though, the only character less likeable than him is the leader of the colonists.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #73 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi Gynoid View Post
And like 90% of the main characters on Lost in Space are kids.
The main protagonist in Lost In Space was Will Robinson, so that's pretty true to the original.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #74 (permalink)

whatever

Oh I knew it was Swiss Family Robinson in Space. It's just the 'new thing' that appeared on Netflix, so I began to watch it. Though, because I knew it was focused on the family, I've never seen the original series. I did see the film, because easier to see film. Or, I mean, quicker.

Also - there's focused on family, and focused on kids. I always had impression this series was much more focused on the kids than on the adults, but that might be false impression (or correct). (focused on family: focus on adults, who happen to have these smaller humans near them that impact their adult lives in some ways (so far that's what that most recent Zach Braff show is like, focused more on Zach's character starting a new business, and on being a horrible father; less focused on the kids - except on how they impact Zach's life); focused on kids: well, self-explanatory, the stories are about the kids. Either in the Charlie Brown way in that there are these larger people around but they talk funny and aren't part of the storyline, or there are these larger people around and they have a much larger impact on the storyline).

I have noticed that the kid, Will, seems to be shown with a somewhat similar personality as on the film, but different intelligence level. He seemed to be ultra genius on film; here he appears 'bright enough' but not a tech genius. Like, on film, the robot obeyed him because he rebuilt robot with his own hands; here he was just

It was less creepy when Don West hit on/flirted with the doctor daughter in film, because they looked to be about the same age. Here the doctor daughter looks to be a particularly smart upper teenager (17? 19? . . . 16?), while Don West looks to be in in mid 40s. So . . . mid-40 year old hitting on 16 to 19 year old. Hell, make her a young looking 22 and a mid-40 year old hitting on her is creepy. (*looks at real life ages of actors* So, Don West, aka Ignacio Serricchio, is 36, and Judy Robinson, aka Taylor Russell is 23 going on 24; so they look their ages, or, at least, within 5 years of their ages. vs. Matt LeBlanc (film Don West) being 3 years older than Heather Graham (film Judy)). Age tricky thing, though. As the actresses for Penny were/are the same age in their roles (16), but do not look same age to me (obviously they aren't the same age now, I mean when they played the roles). Like, Chabert never looked same age or possibly older than Graham on 1998 film, but at times I have trouble figuring out which is older on current reboot (current Penny or current Judy). Though that's why I say age is tricky, since current actress playing Judy is 7 to 8 years older than Penny actress (compared to the 12 years Graham had over Chabert).

Getting back to 'Swiss Family Robinson in Space' - I expected the tv show to be more like 'family lost in space', like in film.

ETA: heh. mmphs. I normally talk on forums here the code in use is html, not bbcode. I keep forgetting to put things in bbcode here. mmphs.

Last edited by Lexxi Gynoid; 04-14-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #75 (permalink)

whatever

Quote:
Personally I'm rather enjoying it ( 6 episodes in). Much better than I was expecting it to be. I find Penny to be the most likeable so far, with Judy as the golden girl of the family and Will as the baby, Penny seems the most hard done by and taken for granted. Can't stand the father though, the only character less likeable than him is the leader of the colonists.
I said that I like 0% of the characters, but I agree that Penny seems likeable enough. It's just easier to say 0%. And she is the one that
. Heh, I can't stand the mother, myself, constantly going off to do her own thing without telling anyone else, etc. etc. Her personality seems to fluctuate, though - from 'must protect my kids!' to 'eh, they can handle themselves'. Which is vaguely confusing.

Part of my 0% comment is the part where everyone seems tinged more on the side of evil than on the side of good. Which is surprising to me. Dr. Smith is, of course, Dr. Smith. Don West is being all 'Han Solo' like, the selfish parts (and the other parts more spoilery) by the way, that whole 'he's evil because he took the shoes of that dead woman' story line is not even part of my 'everyone seems tinged with evil'; Penny's blackmailing people; Will's okay with having a killer robot around; papa Robinson . . . um, spent a lot of time being a soldier and away from his family? (did mama Robinson not know he was a soldier when she got involved with him? film mama Robinson getting annoyed at film papa Robinson for spending so much time building spacecraft seems more on point than tv mama Robinson being all pissed off her husband . . . did the job he had when they meet). Got distracted, what was I talking about? Oh, everyone's tinged with evil. Not 'everyone is evil', just more that than 'everyone's good'.

Okay, I not know what mean, just a thought I had while watching the show. A thought I had at 3 in the morning so . . . not fully formed.

ETA: stupid coding.

Last edited by Lexxi Gynoid; 04-14-2018 at 09:55 AM. Reason: fix spoiler tags

Tags
why???