Shadows, anyone?? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Technical Help » Shadows, anyone??

Technical Help Discuss technical support issues here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Shadows, anyone??

Hello, all. I'm new to the forum. I joined for one simple question... how do I get my avatar to cast a shadow? I've tried it all, it seems. I've tried Firestorm, Nirans, Singularity and SL Viewers. I'm really starting to think the problem is me.

Here are my stats... I have a Dell XPS 15z with NVIDIA Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. I'm no computer whiz, so I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing in regards to getting the most out of SL.

Help!

Jules
Jules22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fuzzlebugs Finkmellon

haz dem bodacious ta-tas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2009
Client: Singularity

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Hi Jules -

I'm sure one of the more expert guys will be able to be more specific, but have you tried checking the shadows option under your graphics preferences?

Edit > Preferences > Graphics > Lighting / Shadows (in Phoenix)
Cristiano
The first rule of Pope Club is you don't talk about Pope Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
Anouk: "Proudly shackling the genie-arses of abnormal men!"
Anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Extreme Lurker XXL

*ra...*... ahem?

SL Join Date: 2007ish someday
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Hapmouche
Quite plain and simple: The term "the most" isn't appropriate when it comes to the capabilities of that integrated graphics solution. It is an older modell that will most likely only hit the minimum of graphic qualities in SL.
Untechnically spoken, think of it like this... instead of a dedicated part in your machine that will provide the graphics, it's as if your lungs were doing both the breathing and pumping blood through your body like the heart would do. Except that there is no extra heart, only the lungs.

Like Anouk suggested, can you activate the checkbox Lightning / Shadows at all in the graphics preferences?
Lil Hapmouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thanks for all the fish
*Sigh*

I think it's a different thing. Are you indoors? Indoors, you will not cast a shadow, you need projected light to be cast upon your avatar, in order to project a shadow.

So simplest answer- turn shadows on, and go outside.
Lexbot Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, all. Yes, I've tried turning on Lighting and Shadows and yes, I've tried it outside. I've gone through probably all the windlight settings, looking for one that should hit my avatar just right. I'm thinking it's just the computer. haha. Lil Hapmouche's suggestion actually makes a lot of sense.
Jules22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Extreme Lurker XXL

*ra...*... ahem?

SL Join Date: 2007ish someday
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lil Hapmouche
To get that right... you tried and you could actually click the checkboxes? They weren't greyed out? You should have seen some sort of effect, even if it only was that your machine came to a crawl.

And did you test all the "out of the box" Windlight presets coming with a regular LL viewer install or any extra custom ones, like all the ones included with a Firestorm install? At Strawberry Singh's blog, you'll find a guide how to install extra presets and download links for photography themed ones.

Inara Pey has a very detailed step-by-step tutorial on how to work with shadows and projected lightning ... find it here. It takes you through the relevant graphics settings to creating your own light projector and the alternative to use projected lightning without shadow rendering, to be a bit lighter on your system.
Lil Hapmouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fuzzlebugs Finkmellon

haz dem bodacious ta-tas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2009
Client: Singularity

If it's any consolation, my pc is new from last year with high end processor and graphics card and it still coughs and dies when I try to turn on shadows (though I am on Phoenix so this may have something to do with it)
Anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
Shadows, anyone??

Checking "Lighting and Shadows" checkbox and then changing the shadow amount dropdown box to "All Shadows" should be all that's needed.

Keep in mind if there are objects above you (a roof, or a skybox miles above) you'll already be in the shade.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Virtual Travel Reporter

Virtual Traveller,wherever I lay my hat...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2012
Client: Firestorm for OpenSim
I also have no shadows. Computer says no....But I am able to make Secondlife movies.Well ok,I made one.lol.

Last edited by Ada4; 02-28-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention I can video though.:)
Ada4 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
I can run shadows, but it halves performance, roughly. Unusable outside of skyboxes.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Never taped a dick

My God, this reminds me

My Mood:
SL Join Date: This time: 10/12/2010
Client: A few different ones

I do know that on the official viewer, your graphics have to be set at "ultra" for you to be able to use shadows. On Firestorm, I think they can be "high" and you can run them. That you are able to turn them on suggests that you should ge able to see them. Have you moved the WL sliders around...the sun/moon position and the time of day? Do you see any shadows at all, or just not your avatar creating a shadow?

I can say, after having a new graphics card installed, that it makes all the difference in the world. Even with an older CPU, the new graphics card has enabled me to be able to keep shadows turned on even while I move around. The fan works a little harder when they're on, but before I would have to turn them on to take a pic, and turn them back off to repose and take another pic. Or to be able to do anything at all other than snap the pic. With the new card, I can repose and move around pretty smoothly...well, on Firestorm at least, which is the viewer that gave me the most problems to begin with, when I had shadows turned on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shilohlyric/
http://shilohlyric.wordpress.com/
Shiloh Lyric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firestorm , graphics , shadows