NVidia GTX 560 Ti settings - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Technical Help » NVidia GTX 560 Ti settings

Technical Help Discuss technical support issues here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Even my HUDs have HUDs

SL Join Date: Aug 2007
NVidia GTX 560 Ti settings

I nearly posted in the "Performance/graphics card upgrade recommendations?" thread, but didn't want to hijack Morgoth's discussion, so a new thread here.

Today I got my PC back from the shop with the old GeForce 9800GT (which had died) replaced by a GTX 560. I'd expected to be blown away by the performance of this card, but so far it's ... well, better than the 9800 but not as enormously different as I'd hoped. So I'm left wondering why, and whether it's simply because I don't have a clue what I'm doing, or maybe my expectations were too high.

The PC is an Intel Core Quad 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM, running Windows 7. I'm testing with the latest Phoenix viewer (980).

As I write this, I'm standing in the Port Babbage sim, Statistics Bar open, and I've set graphics to Ultra, with draw distance at 168m. Anisotropic filtering is disabled, antialiasing is set to 2x, and VBO is enabled. Shadows are disabled. The NVidia Control Panel is unchanged from default because I don't understand any of it. (If this isn't enough information, let me know and I'll list all the settings).

The frame rate I'm getting is 10-15fps. If I enable shadows, that drops to 6-8fps. Surely I should be getting better than that?

Please note that I really don't know what I'm doing here. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rockstar Crazy

wat.

My Mood:
SecondLife is far more CPU / Memory dependent than GPU dependent, and it is very likely that you're being bottlenecked by either your CPU/Memory.

You *should* see higher than 15 FPS, but you also should not be using SecondLife to benchmark. There is no way to tell if anything is wrong, based on performance out of SecondLife.

Download 3dmark11 or Passmark.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Even my HUDs have HUDs

Sorry, Ayumi, I don't understand what you mean by "should not be using SecondLife to benchmark". SL is the only heavy 3D app I use - I'm not a gamer or anything - and I'm just trying to get the best performance I can on that one thing. I'll leave the benchmarking to the experts!

Anyway, I downloaded and ran 3DMark11, but it couldn't run the physics test (test 7 or something) and failed at that point. But I did manage to run Passmark, and it gave me a bunch of numbers that don't mean much to me.

Here's the summary:
Code:
PassMark Rating
	This Computer	1167.8

CPU Mark
	This Computer	2847.0

2D Graphics Mark
	This Computer	220.8

3D Graphics Mark
	This Computer	2529.8

Memory Mark
	This Computer	656.3

Disk Mark
	This Computer	777.9

CD Mark
	This Computer	545.6
Plus breakdowns for each of those categories. Since you reckon it's probably CPU or memory, here are those sections:

Code:
CPU Mark
	This Computer	2847.0

CPU - Integer Math
	This Computer	420.7

CPU - Floating Point Math
	This Computer	1140.6

CPU - Find Prime Numbers
	This Computer	736.6

CPU - Multimedia Instructions
	This Computer	11.4

CPU - Compression
	This Computer	5104.8

CPU - Encryption
	This Computer	14.7

CPU - Physics
	This Computer	179.4

CPU - String Sorting
	This Computer	2131.4
Code:
Memory Mark
	This Computer	656.3

Memory - Allocate Small Block
	This Computer	1913.7

Memory - Read Cached
	This Computer	1840.0

Memory - Read Uncached
	This Computer	1606.7

Memory - Write
	This Computer	1497.0

Memory - Large RAM
	This Computer	873.9
These numbers mean absolutely nothing to me. What's the next step?

Thanks for the help!
Barrington John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zii

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006-ish
Business: Apricot Paws
It's your CPU.

I upgraded from an 8800 to a 460 video card while I had a 2.2ghz quad core - barely any change. Recently I upgraded to a 3.2ghz quad core and the difference is astounding, with the same video card 0.0 I can run with shadows on all the time in most situations now, where previously, the same settings would have me at <8 fps, as you're experiencing.
Zii is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Even my HUDs have HUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zii View Post
It's your CPU.
Ah, thanks, I can believe that. Unfortunately, I can't afford that upgrade, especially after buying the 560.

One thing I didn't mention, though, was the power supply, which is currently 400W, whereas NVidia apparently claims the GTX 560 requires a 550W PSU. I was advised by the guy in the shop to try it with the 400W and only upgrade the PSU if necessary - could this be a contributory factor? I'd have thought that an insufficient PSU would simply shut the machine down.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Mood:
You really need more power than that. I would even go better than 550W.
I upgraded from a 260 GTX to a 470 GTX and went from a 400W to a 750W psu. Recently, I swapped up to a 570 GTX and stuck the 260 back in while I was waiting for the 570. I was totally shocked to find the 260 performing far better than it ever did before. It was actually not far behind the 470.
Valkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rainbow Girl

One last Latex Doll.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Back in 2006
Client: Rainbow :)
Send a message via Yahoo to Boy Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington John View Post
One thing I didn't mention, though, was the power supply, which is currently 400W, whereas NVidia apparently claims the GTX 560 requires a 550W PSU.
I can not comment on the card and settings as I don't know it. But regarding PSUs, it very much depends on brands/models here. There are tons of cheapo wannabie "high power" PSUs around that explode within 2 weeks or so. On the other hand if you have a quality brand that states 400W it will probably be sufficient. What is important is how much power is delivered on the different rails, e.g. 5V, 12V. The cheapo/no names mix that and just add up, in the end it does not work.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Mood:
Look at the sticker on your psu. You need 30 amps for the 560.
Valkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

decimating local poultry population

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 30, 2006
Client: Kirstens,Viewer 2
As zii mentioned earlier CPU is the the bottleneck here. Geometry performance heavily dependent on cpu. SL is quite a hog in that department. Reduce draw distance to something between 90-128 meters. You won't see much difference but your FPS will go up quite significantly. Additionally u can also go to Develop > Rendering > and turn on Object-to-Object occlusion (skips drawing objects which are out of view)
Healfdane Etoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zii

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006-ish
Business: Apricot Paws
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington John View Post
I'd have thought that an insufficient PSU would simply shut the machine down.
I would think so too. My PSU was 450W prior to the upgrade, but the video card would never have had the chance to pull its full power given the bottleneck. I have a 620W now, though feel it's a little bit overkill. At least I know it will last x3

As PSUs go, I think if they come with the two required PCIE power connectors for your video card, they're probably powerful enough, as long as it's a good brand (Seasonic, Corsair, Antec etc) There's also a site out there where you input your system specs and it calculates how much wattage it draws -> Antec Power Supply Calculator

As for budget, I know how that is D: It was 6+ months between getting my video card, and then a system that doesn't bottleneck it, rofl
Zii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Even my HUDs have HUDs

Well, a replacement PSU seems to be necessary anyway - the driver keeps crashing and the message "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" made several appearances today, but a shutdown and reboot from cold (but not a warm reboot) made things better for now. Searching on those symptoms for the series 5xx cards, I find insufficient PSUs to be a commonly-cited cause.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

decimating local poultry population

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 30, 2006
Client: Kirstens,Viewer 2
Actually you can often perfectly boot with very underpowered PSU. Given it has enough headroom in regard to peak output ( which is much higher than maximum sustained draw).
What you would likely see in such a case stable performance when doing light load tasks since all modern nvidia cards throttle down when on idle, light load.
For example mine idles with core at 50mhz. When doing light tasks like browsing webby bumps to 405mhz and when i load up sl it cranks up to 715mhz . Modern cpu's behave in much the same fashion.

Basically if the pc survives the first 1,5 second pre boot sequence where everything starts fully cranked up it will boot. But once you put it under load will become unstable. You will see heavy increase of page errors, the video driver will randomly fail and restart itself and random corruptions on the bus till you either bsod or thermal/surge protection of your psu kicks in.
You may want to replace it as soon as possible as overloaded inverters like to heat up, heat is very bad for inverter coils which when overheated will burn thru the insulator around coils wire somewhere, leak current, short and much of what's inside of the PC case will go out with a pop.
Healfdane Etoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Even my HUDs have HUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healfdane Etoile View Post
You may want to replace it as soon as possible as overloaded inverters like to heat up, heat is very bad for inverter coils which when overheated will burn thru the insulator around coils wire somewhere, leak current, short and much of what's inside of the PC case will go out with a pop.
Thanks. I've got a 600W PSU on order, and will fit it as soon as it arrives.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Even my HUDs have HUDs

Just to bring this up to date, I've been running for several days now with a 600W Antec PSU, and while I do seem to be getting better framerates, it's not enough to be absolutely sure it's made a difference.

However, since it's a lot quieter than the previous PSU, and I don't have to worry about damage through undersupply, I don't regret the expenditure.