Windows Mail (Vista) replacement for Win7? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Technical Help » Windows Mail (Vista) replacement for Win7?

Technical Help Discuss technical support issues here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads Special Achievement In Nazi References Special Achievement in Thread Titling Thread Title of the Week 
Windows Mail (Vista) replacement for Win7?

My old x64 Vista finally got so corrupted this morning I was forced to buy Windows 7 to replace it.

Because I could not boot to Vista, I was forced to manually backup all my saved games and Windows Mail contacts & folders with the DOS prompt

Now I see that Windows 7 does not have mail. I have my Gmail account, of course, but most of my business contacts and history folders are in my WinMail backup.

I'm not real keen on buying Windows Mail Live 2011 - I'm actually disgusted with Microsoft more now than ever. But I cannot seem to find a decent 64-bit mail software client that would import my old Mail folders and run close to the way I'm used to it running.

Help?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
I've never used it, but Windows Live Mail is in their silly Live Essentials thing which I think is the same as what came in Vista.

Looking for Windows Mail?

Personally if I'm on Windows I just use Outlook, or the Gmail web interface.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:

Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads Special Achievement In Nazi References Special Achievement in Thread Titling Thread Title of the Week 
I can't use my gmail for business yet because I don't have my contacts moved over. They're now in backup files somewhere in "Windows.old" on my HD and I need a Windows Mail-compatible application that can import them

To top everything else off, after an afternoon of reinstalling crap and changing preferences to suit my style, this wonderful Windows 7 went to blue screen and totally crashed.

After years of Vista 64bit, this is the first BSOD I've seen ever.

Cindy Claveau is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:

Malwarebytes just found 2 rootkit infections on my HD that I didn't recognize. WTF??
Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
the marginal

My World, Their UI

My Mood:
The new windows live mail (as of a month or so ago) is pretty good. I pull in all my webmail to it - one window, many email accounts. It's convenient.
Atashi Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
Malwarebytes just found 2 rootkit infections on my HD that I didn't recognize. WTF??
You might want to try putting the backup on an external HD and formatting your old one completely, it sounds like you've got something nasty going on.
1 User Groaned:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grand Cabal Leader

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
The latest version of Windows Live Mail is an excellent program. I use it as my primary email program. It handles multiple accounts very well with a unified inbox. It is not as versatile as Outlook, but I actually like it more for day to day use as an email client.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Nightshade View Post
You might want to try putting the backup on an external HD and formatting your old one completely, it sounds like you've got something nasty going on.
I think you're right. Now all I need to do is get the stupid system to stay up long enough for me to do the file move and format

Thankfully I have this old backup PC, but I'm getting a headache trying to use it.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:

Provided I can salvage my old emails, what's everyone's opinion of Mozilla's Thunderbird email client?

Thunderbird - It?s All Yours
Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Account Closed

*SLU Supporter*
Meh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/26/06
Business: .( bewildebeest ).
I love Thunderbird.
Coyote Momiji is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Yay!:
Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
the marginal

My World, Their UI

My Mood:
I tried Thunderbird and didn't like it as much as Live Mail.
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Indubitably

*SLU Supporter*

Still better than Joshua at worms armageddon

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9-Jan-04
Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Zaius
Thunderbird is a giant steaming pile. >_>

I use Outlook 2010; although I would really kill for a 'unified IMAP inbox'.
Adam Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
A boombox is not a toy!

Lurking with coffee

My Mood:
I feel your pain. Yesterday, my AVG virus software auto-updated and restarted completely corrupting my Windows Vista. AVG pulled the update, but not before several people were hit with it, including me. I wasn't really able to find out about the issue, until I could get to a point of being able to login to the web again. I have never dealt with anything like this, and I'm not tech savy at all.

The ability to restore to last known good save point simply threw my computer into a perpetual restart still claiming windows had been corrupted. Starting in safe mode didn't work. Nothing was working, just sending my comp back into that perpetual restart loop. I was finally able to get my recovery CDs to work, but not without having to reinstall and reformat my HD and losing stuff I had not gotten around to backing up lately (mostly lots of my dabbling with creating textures and SL photo stuffs in gimp).

It has been a total pain from the start of the recovery and I still get an error on every start up of Vista which requires me to hit control-alt-del just to log on to my computer. Service Package 1 from Vista also threw a tantrum when I was trying to update. To top that off, someone mentioned in a forum I was reading that Microsoft charges $58 bucks per hour for any technical related help with Vista now because they have moved on to 7. WTF Microsoft and WTF AVG! Also FU Microsoft and FU AVG!
Ryanna Enfield is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
I saw a few people on twitter complaining about that earlier. I haven't had any problems with Avast, thankfully.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
the marginal

My World, Their UI

My Mood:
I also use Avast and haven't had any issues.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
If you're having problems with AVG, it looks like there's a number of solutions to try:

Free Antivirus | Forum - Some Windows 7 Operating Systems Cannot Be Started After Latest Update

I'm pretty stunned they managed to let this happen again.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:

I've been at this for roughly 14 hours straight, now. I think I've rebooted so many times my rebooter is numb

My last gasp before allowing Windows 7 to reformat was to try to run a CHKDSK to fix errors on my disk, but I couldn't get Windows to let go of the sectors. So screw it, I ran the install for the second time, told it to reformat my C: (quick format), and then install.

Then I had to reinstall the drivers for my Wireless, the NVIDIA drivers, Firefox with addons, Windows Security Essentials and change all the stupid Windows default security settings.

And after all that, I haven't begun to reinstall the rest of my software and games. I did find the order number for my word processor software saved in a text file so tomorrow I'll try to re-register my copy.

But I still need to setup my default email client, because most of those software registrations (Photoshop, Atlantis, Poser, etc) are all connected to my old Windows Mail address. I downloaded Thunderbird but if you guys think Avast is better, I might try it.

Reinstalling Windows twice means that I'm an expert now on Second Life viewer preferences How in the hell can any piece of software have its critical settings scattered around so many damned menus, tabs and hidden options (like Debug)?

My conclusion after all this is that AVG was the culprit. I don't recall the exact sequence, though I know when I started having Vista issues it would load drivers and get stuck on an AVG driver. So I might just ditch AVG after all and look for something else that's cheap or free. Who knew they would release software that made Windows 7 choke?
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

SL Join Date: 1 Sept. 2008
Send a message via AIM to Leslie Plutonian Send a message via Yahoo to Leslie Plutonian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Nightshade View Post
If you're having problems with AVG, it looks like there's a number of solutions to try:

Free Antivirus | Forum - Some Windows 7 Operating Systems Cannot Be Started After Latest Update

I'm pretty stunned they managed to let this happen again.
Yep, I expect phone calls to start coming in. yay.

I recommend everyone keep a copy of Linux or Windows on a bootable Cd/dvd in case of emergencies like this. Especially if you don't have a spare computer to get online with and research the problem.

Avast is an anti-virus, Thunderbird is an email client.
I use and recommend both.

In old files, look in:
C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming

This folder contains all of the settings for most of your programs, as well as SL chat history, Firefox and all it's bookmarks and plugins, etc...

If you install the program, then copy these folders over, all your settings and such are instantly restored. No need to re-install all of Firefox plugins, re-do Sl preferences, etc.. Even Thunderbird Email is in here making backups VERY fast and easy. Unlike Outlook. If you do this, after installing Firefox again, you should re-install Flash and Java, but everything else associated with Firefox should be fine.

Oh, if you use Google Chrome browser, all of those files, including the program is listed in:
C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Local\Google
Which is normally reserved for temp file folders, why they did this, who knows.

Last edited by Leslie Plutonian; 12-02-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Leslie Plutonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Opera not Oprah!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 19th May 2006

Awards: 1
Best Squirrel Anecdote 
Send a message via Yahoo to Humps Send a message via Skype™ to Humps
I am dreading restarting my puter now! AVG updated earlier and I am on 64bit Win7.

Humps is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 12-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Leslie Plutonian Send a message via Yahoo to Leslie Plutonian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humps View Post
I am dreading restarting my puter now! AVG updated earlier and I am on 64bit Win7.
How to fix it:

You may want to download a bootable copy of windows or a copy of Ubuntu (probably easiest). This will allow you to get back in to delete the files. It's not a bad backup system in case a drive fails either.

Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

Or just uninstall AVG before you do.
My recomendation is download and burn Ubuntu (if only for backup reasons), uninstall AVG and install Avast, Avira or something else.
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*

Humming La La La

My Mood:

Thunderbird is installed and set up (after a long conversation with a semi-literate support person on the phone), but I think I told Thunderbird the wrong password for my email. I had to look up on the Mozilla help site how to change (actually delete) the password. It said it was supposed to prompt me when I restarted Thunderbird. But noooooo... It clocks until it times out!

Oh, baby, I'm building up a big pile of rant after all this. Why does Windows 7 arbitrarily and nonsensically flag ENTIRE FOLDERS as "read only" for no frickin' reason? That was yet another Google adventure to figure out how to fix.

On the up side, I found this:

Take Ownership Shortcut - Windows 7 Forums

It's a Registry tool that adds a "Take Ownership" option to the right-click on files that allows you to force the files to be your bitchez

EDIT: Screw it. I downloaded Windows Live mail 2011. IT WORKS!

Last edited by Cindy Claveau; 12-03-2010 at 11:07 AM.
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
Why does Windows 7 arbitrarily and nonsensically flag ENTIRE FOLDERS as "read only" for no frickin' reason? That was yet another Google adventure to figure out how to fix.
Because your account doesn't own those folders.

Even if it is the same name and password, Windows realizes that it is not the same account and therefor tries to protect them from snooping eyes.

The reality is that it stops almost nothing or no one, but they gave it a shot. Vista did the same and so did XP in some instances.

I know it's frustrating, but just think of how much you have learned in the last few days. Expensive, pain in the butt, but you did learn some things.