|02-22-2009, 02:30 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Jack of a few Trades
nsAppShell: Event Window. AKA My internet keeps breaking !
I'm having some really frustrating internet issues lately.
Basically, when it happens, I'm almost always running SL and firefox together. This problem occurs seemingly randomly, once every few hours on average, but there's no discernable constant interval
SL just freezes up. No stuttering, just a complete stop. It doesn't crash either, just hangs indefinitely. My system does not, only SL.
In addition, firefox ceases to load pages. It's still fully responsive, but attempting to load any page just gives "waiting for <domain>" indefinitely.
If I try to restart SL, it gets to "detecting hardware" in the startup, and just stops there forever. Restarting firefox does nothing, and it still continues to fail at loading pages.
The only way I've found to fix this issue, is restarting my PC entirely. When doing this, there's the usual windows for
I believe this is the cause of my issue.
After the terminating of alll programs is finished and my PC starts shutting down, it gets to the windows screen "Saving your settings", and hangs there indefinitely. I have to hit the power switch to make it turn off.
A quick bit of googling allows me to quickly find that this mysterious program is a mozilla component. Most notably however, I found this page:
The guy there is describing the exact same thing. He's attributing it to a program called Wuala, which seems to be some sort of file sharing thing. He mentions firefox however, which is the common link between us. I commented to point that out, but it proves that I'm not alone, at least. though that's the only ocurrence of it I can find.
I'm running Windows XP Professional 32 bit, and Mozilla firefox 3, fully updated.
Can anyone offer suggestions as to what's wrong? Having to restart my computer frequently is really getting to me. Any advice on possible solutions to this issuewould be most welcome.
|02-22-2009, 05:53 PM||#2 (permalink)|
the bathwater & the baby
fish and bees are inherently sarcastic
nsAppShell is a library within the Gecko page rendering library which is a part of the Mozilla codebase thus the prefix "ns". You can peruse a version of the source at Sourcecode and documentation for xulrunner-1.9 - version 184.108.40.206+nobinonly nsAppShell.mm. Is this the version of code in your browser? Probably not, but it at least rhymes.
A quick scan through the comments leads me to believe that the AppShell library is responsible for dispatch of events to other chunks of code. There are some notes about sequences of events in AppShell which could cause the code to block, and when you are in a Windows environment blocked code sometimes can't be pre-empted thus the hard reboots needed.
I would suspect that it is a Firefox add-on that is the ultimate culprit for jamming up the firefox process. Painful though it may be, I'd try disabling all Firefox add-ons to see if the problem goes away. Using Google Chrome for a time may also keep this from happening.
The Firefox add-on mechanism is a great concept, but much like the bad Windows device driver problem, they can have effects that reach beyond their boundaries.
|02-22-2009, 09:03 PM||#3 (permalink)|
Jack of a few Trades
I have now disabled all firefox add ons. Even adblock and noscript
As this issue is not voluntarily reproducible, I guess I'll just have to live with it like this for a while, and see if it fixes the issue.
|02-24-2009, 07:15 PM||#4 (permalink)|
Jack of a few Trades
Well, no reocurrence yet. I can tenatively say that the problem is found.
Now comes the process of trying to figure out which of my 10 addons was causing it.
|09-22-2010, 12:13 PM||#5 (permalink)|
Join Date: Sep 2010
Curious to know whether you resolved the issue or not? I was having this same issue which caused much frustration. I was going so far as to kick me right off our office Domain everytime. Finally I installed Opera and used it for three weeks with no issues. But I like FF so i went back and did a complete reinstall then started adding Add-ons. I probably added way to many but it ran great for 2.5 days. Then I installed ADblock Plus and Forcastfox and I started crashing again. I unistalled those but continued to crash about every hour. So I unistalled everything I could but still crashes. All with the same 'NPappsshell' dialog that I had to 'end program' and sometimes also with a '.net frameworks' one. Finally i have uninstalled again and reinstalled and still crashed. Now I have disabled all the add-on's that the installation installs (.net frameworks & Java console) and disabled all the plug-in's (Jukebox and Realplayer did not want to be disabled - took three restarts) Now I am waiting for another crash. Hopefully there will not be one and I can start doing what you did.
Just wondering if you ever located the problem.