Make me Wifi? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Technical Help » Make me Wifi?


Technical Help Discuss technical support issues here.

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality
 
Soda Sullivan's Avatar
Dressed up like a car crash
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,516
My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Make me Wifi?

As I have mentioned. I am pretty hopeless when it comes to computers and the answer to this is probably extremely simple, but I have not been able to find it.

I was recently given a GoogleCast. I can cast to it from my tablet and would like to cast to it from my PC.

Now, my PC plugs directly into my modem/router and into the wall and, as best I can tell, my old PC has no wifi setup.

What I would like to do, if I can, is cast from my PC to my Chromecast (or lets say a pair of Bluetooth headphones) while still being hard-wired into my modem.

Would one of those simple Bluetooth USB dongles solve the problem, or do I need something else, if possible at all.?
__________________
Hey soda, go fuck yourself. - Lady Darnk Juniorette
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Discount
 
Casey Pelous's Avatar
Jesus is coming. Look busy!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA, Upper Left
Posts: 10,449
My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
As I have mentioned. I am pretty hopeless when it comes to computers and the answer to this is probably extremely simple, but I have not been able to find it.

I was recently given a GoogleCast. I can cast to it from my tablet and would like to cast to it from my PC.

Now, my PC plugs directly into my modem/router and into the wall and, as best I can tell, my old PC has no wifi setup.

What I would like to do, if I can, is cast from my PC to my Chromecast (or lets say a pair of Bluetooth headphones) while still being hard-wired into my modem.

Would one of those simple Bluetooth USB dongles solve the problem, or do I need something else, if possible at all.?
I amaze myself. I barely know what you are asking, don't have a clue what a GoogleCast might even be AND YET, I have an opinion.

Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are totally different. If you have cable internet, your modem is almost certainly already a wi-fi router. If you have DSL, erm .... I dunno. Probably plug it into a wi-fi router, or get a funky wi-fi adapter for your PC. (Funky Wi-Fi (tm). Ask for it by name!)

You can also get little Bluetooth USB dongles for your PC, but the range is crap -- and, as previously mentioned, I've no clue what a GoogleDad (?) is so I don't know if it is Bluetooth enabled.

All this advice is easily worth two to five times what it cost you.
__________________
"I am not more than a lossy Human being, and think that we all are equals..." - Wasted Engineer


U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 01-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist
 
Ramen Jedburgh's Avatar
Heya ^_^
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 6,759
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
If you have any other Wifi device, A phone, tablet, heck a friend's phone, you should be able to set up the Chromecast to work through your home network, instead of direct connect. This should allow your computer thats plugged in to see the chromecast, even if its on the wifi, since they are on the same network
__________________
--
Ramen Jedburgh

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*
 
Sid II's Avatar
Eh ?
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: In the south of The Netherlands.
Posts: 1,584
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard



An WIFI USB adapter or dongle is also an easy solution.

These USB adapters/dongles are available starting less than 10 USD.
Make sure they have enough speed for your device.

The image is just an example, no endorsement.
Sid II is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wanda Belinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post



An WIFI USB adapter or dongle is also an easy solution.

These USB adapters/dongles are available starting less than 10 USD.
Make sure they have enough speed for your device.

The image is just an example, no endorsement.
I don't know anything about these other than taking a quick look around. It seems that some come with an antenna and some don't. The ones without an antenna will surely have a more limited range, maybe very limited.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
子猫女王
 
Katheryne Helendale's Avatar
(Loading...)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right... behind... you...
Posts: 7,101
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/20/2008
Client: LL Viewer V3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
The modem/router should already have a wireless access point. Most broadband providers have them nowadays. There should be a label on your router somewhere that has the SSID and access key for it.

My only question is, how does one set up a ChromeCast to connect to one's WiFi?
__________________
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,
the world will know peace.
-J. Hendrix

Katheryne Helendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoidyn Kytori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pacific NW, USA
Posts: 265
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/16/2009
Client: Firestorm
I have my desktop computer (hardwired to my router, not on wifi) set up to do this. I have an older Chromecast dongle, but I think the setup should be the same for you.

It sounds like you already have your Google Cast device registered on your network, since you can cast to it from your tablet. The Chrome browser has Google Cast built in now. Launch Chrome on your computer, click the Cast button in the browser bar and select your Cast device. Be sure to switch your TV to the input port where the Google Cast device is plugged in before you do this.



If your computer doesn't find the Google Cast device, use the Chrome browser on your computer and go through the "ChromeCast Setup" steps. Click the link "set up your chromecast using this computer". The computer will fail on the last step because it's not on wifi. That's okay, doing the setup seems to just help your computer find the Cast device on your network. Click the Cast button in the browser bar again, and this time it should find the device.

Good luck! I love my Googe Cast dongle. Use it all the time for Netflix and SL.
Zoidyn Kytori is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Aria Dragonash's Avatar
What does THIS do?
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 615
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 8/22/2007
Business: Unlabeled Omen
Client: Firestorm
You don't need to have both devices in WiFi. They communicate through the router anyways. PC being on wired and CC being wireless works great.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk
Aria Dragonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*
 
Sid II's Avatar
Eh ?
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: In the south of The Netherlands.
Posts: 1,584
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
I don't know anything about these other than taking a quick look around. It seems that some come with an antenna and some don't. The ones without an antenna will surely have a more limited range, maybe very limited.
Just like a cell phone they don't need an antenna these days.
The range with WIFI is always limited. How many meters you have, all depends on where the transmitter stands and where the receiving end is located. Concrete walls, heavy furniture, radiators from the central heating, other electronic equipment all influence the WIFI range.
The range in one house can be 30 meters, in another only 10.
Sid II is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist
 
Ramen Jedburgh's Avatar
Heya ^_^
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 6,759
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katheryne Helendale View Post
The modem/router should already have a wireless access point. Most broadband providers have them nowadays. There should be a label on your router somewhere that has the SSID and access key for it.

My only question is, how does one set up a ChromeCast to connect to one's WiFi?
Its been a bit since I set one up but I think after connecting to it with my phone, I could then select an SSID to connect to and put in the password. So it would switch to the wifi and no longer need a direct connection.

The problem here may be, if the only other machine is a wired desktop, there isn't a way to do the initial direct connection to set it up the rest of the way.
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wanda Belinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
The problem here may be, if the only other machine is a wired desktop, there isn't a way to do the initial direct connection to set it up the rest of the way.
I'm pretty sure that if someone trying to do this doesn't have a phone or anything with wifi other than their router they will need to ask a friend to come over with their phone to connect and do the one time setup.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality
 
Soda Sullivan's Avatar
Dressed up like a car crash
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,516
My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
It took a little configuring of my Chromecast, basically unplugging it and resetting it, but Zoidyn's suggestion worked. I think I still may invest in one of those dongle's Sid posted. Since I basically live in a broom closet, nothing is ever going to be more than 10-15 ft from my router. Now I am trying to figure how to cast without using the Chrome browser =)
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 01-17-2018, 03:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wanda Belinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
I think I still may invest in one of those dongle's Sid posted. Since I basically live in a broom closet, nothing is ever going to be more than 10-15 ft from my router.
I think you are likely to run into problems if you try to run ethernet and wifi at the same time. Windows won't do that without special configuration.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Squirrelly
 
Beezle Warburton's Avatar
Pancakes for all!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 17,845
My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official
Blog Entries: 3

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
It took a little configuring of my Chromecast, basically unplugging it and resetting it, but Zoidyn's suggestion worked. I think I still may invest in one of those dongle's Sid posted. Since I basically live in a broom closet, nothing is ever going to be more than 10-15 ft from my router. Now I am trying to figure how to cast without using the Chrome browser =)
Windows 10 can cast.

Although it won't cast "protected content" like Neflix/Hulu.

Last edited by Beezle Warburton; 01-17-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality
 
Soda Sullivan's Avatar
Dressed up like a car crash
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,516
My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Everyone may already know this but me, but I figured out how to cast my entire desktop instead of just my Chrome browser. It is pretty complicated and really, really hard to figure out.

You go to that 'cast" icon on Chrome and under "cast to" you select "cast desktop".

Whew! I need a nap.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Hugged You:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




SEO by vBSEO