Graphics Tablet Recommendation - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Technical Help » Graphics Tablet Recommendation

Technical Help Discuss technical support issues here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #26 (permalink)

I searched google images for your girl and threw a couple more kids in.

Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Well I think in the very newest release of the Huion it has like an integrated recharging battery, instead of one you have to change - so I think it's a little lighter, but in any case probably after a day or two getting used to it you're used to it.
Depending on weight, you don't get used to it, it just gets more irritating the longer you use it.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
Depending on weight, you don't get used to it, it just gets more irritating the longer you use it.
I just tested -- this pen is definitely heavier than a Sharpie, lighter than a "Montblanc" that *ahem* may be a genuine Montblanc, or may have fallen off the back of a Chinese truck.....

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #29 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
To an extent, this is going to be true of absolutely any active-functioning stylus.

I'm used to drawing with pencils; they feel very natural in my hand. I don't own a graphics tablet yet; but I've had occasion to handle many different styluses for both graphics tablets and touch screens, and there wasn't a single one of them that ever felt "right", relative to a graphite pencil, for the short time I used them. I could use them, but there was always a conspicuous weirdness - too heavy, too fat, too both. That feeling will never go away - not as long as I continue to use graphite pencils, even if I become completely proficient at using a graphics tablet and stylus.

But, the way I see it, paintbrushes don't feel the same as graphite pencils either. And different paintbrushes don't even feel like each other. I suppose you can choose to focus on how heavy or big a stylus or a particular paintbrush is and it will continue to irritate you more and more; but I think when it comes to doing actual work that kind of thing will typically fade to the background.

People seem to universally hate painting with computer mice, and try to do it as little as possible; and yet if you commit to it you can use a computer mouse often enough to become highly skilled at painting with it, like this person:

Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
To an extent, this is going to be true of absolutely any active-functioning stylus.

I'm used to drawing with pencils; they feel very natural in my hand. I don't own a graphics tablet yet; but I've had occasion to handle many different styluses for both graphics tablets and touch screens, and there wasn't a single one of them that ever felt "right", relative to a graphite pencil, for the short time I used them. I could use them, but there was always a conspicuous weirdness - too heavy, too fat, too both. That feeling will never go away - not as long as I continue to use graphite pencils, even if I become completely proficient at using a graphics tablet and stylus.

But, the way I see it, paintbrushes don't feel the same as graphite pencils either. And different paintbrushes don't even feel like each other. I suppose you can choose to focus on how heavy or big a stylus or a particular paintbrush is and it will continue to irritate you more and more; but I think when it comes to doing actual work that kind of thing will typically fade to the background.

People seem to universally hate painting with computer mice, and try to do it as little as possible; and yet if you commit to it you can use a computer mouse often enough to become highly skilled at painting with it, like this person:

Interstellar - Anne Hathaway (GIMP Speed Painting) - YouTube
Best bet would be a gaming mouse with on-the-fly DPI butons.

I meant "irritating" in a long-term fatigue way, like a keyboard with buttons that are too stiff.

Last edited by Beezle Warburton; 12-28-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
冬眠中

*SLU Supporter*

ekumental

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9/29/2007
Business: Culprit
Client: LL beta

In Queso Emergency 
the wacom pen has no batteries and is super light.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Discount

My Mood:
In case anyone is following along here, I tried the tablet with One Note and it wouldn't write until I spotted a little button on the "Draw" top bar with an icon of a finger leaving a line. The hover text says, "draw with mouse or tablet", and clicking that button enabled the tablet to write. There might have been similar buttons on the other programs that I missed. (I'm not going back to check....)
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 02-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #33 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

So Casey, I suppose you've used the tablet for a little bit by now - what do you think about it so far? Likes/dislikes?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #34 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

I only ask because I'm currently looking at exactly that tablet, the Q11K; I'm thinking I might buy it (or some tablet) within the next few weeks. The reviews are almost entirely positive, and while a Wacom might have better fit and finish I just can't justify saving up and dropping $350 to get a 6" x 4" working area, not when I'm just getting started with digital art and am not sure where I'll be going with it, or even if I'll be "going anywhere". The Q11K has a working space the size of a standard sheet of notebook paper and it's only $120.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Discount

My Mood:
It's .... okay, it's not my favorite way to interact with a computer, but that's me, not the tablet. I mean, pens, paper, and I never got along that well! Give me a keyboard -- typing or piano -- and I'm much, much more fluent.

The tablet works fine .... I've even found an app called "Epic Pen" so I can add another layer of stuff to the white board or anything on the screen. The tablet just does what it does -- no muss, no fuss, no hanging or major lag. For $100 or so, it's great!
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 02-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #36 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

All right well, I ordered the tablet. Really interested to see how it will work out.
1 User Likes This: