NHL official reportedly files $10 million lawsuit against Flames’ Dennis Wideman - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Sports » NHL official reportedly files $10 million lawsuit against Flames’ Dennis Wideman

Sports Discuss your favorite sports.

Sponsor:
Global Online Hockey Association

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Adult Content

My Mood:
NHL official reportedly files $10 million lawsuit against Flames’ Dennis Wideman

NHL official reportedly files $10 million lawsuit against Flames' Dennis Wideman | FOX Sports
Quote:
It’s been more than a year since Calgary Flames’ defenseman Dennis Wideman found himself in hot water after body checking a linesman during a game. That incident is now headed to a court of law.

NHL linesman Don Henderson has filed a $10.25 million lawsuit against Wideman as a result of the incident, TSN reported Thursday. Henderson is seeking general damages of $200,000 and an additional $50,000 for expenses like housekeeping, yard work and hospital bills, and $10 million for loss of income and future loss of income.

During a regular season game last January, Wideman was left dazed (and later diagnosed with a concussion) as a result of a hit from an opponent. As the veteran defenseman made his way back to the Flames bench, he plowed into Henderson with a hit from behind and injured the official.

Wideman was initially suspended 20 games by the league, which pointed to the “nature and severity of the offense,” but that ban was later cut in half by an independent arbitrator. The suspension ultimately cost him over $250,000 in pay.

But the lawsuit filed by Henderson, who has yet to work an NHL game since the incident, suggests that the official suffered far more punishment. Per TSN:

According to his lawsuit, Henderson suffered injuries to his head, neck back, shoulder, and right knee. He also allegedly suffered a concussion, pain, numbness and tingling in his right arm and hand, shock anxiety and depression, headaches and permanent and partial disability. …

In his lawsuit, Henderson’s lawyer wrote that he “has suffered a limitation of activities and loss of enjoyment of life, and will continue to suffer a limitation of activities and enjoyment of life.”

Neither Wideman nor the Flames, who are also listed as defendants in the suit, have yet to release a comment on the matter.
Yes, please. Let's open that gate where lawsuits from AND AGAINST sports officials are allowed. I have seen plenty of blatantly obvious and biased calls have cost teams playoff revenue.
Rhonda Huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda Huntress View Post
Yes, please. Let's open that gate where lawsuits from AND AGAINST sports officials are allowed. I have seen plenty of blatantly obvious and biased calls have cost teams playoff revenue.
You can't really think the "damage" of a team not getting to go to the playoffs due to a blown call is even in the same league as a guy being hospitalized and permanently disabled after being brutally attacked by a player.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Adult Content

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
You can't really think the "damage" of a team not getting to go to the playoffs due to a blown call is even in the same league as a guy being hospitalized and permanently disabled after being brutally attacked by a player.
I'm saying that they have all agreed to settle any disputes through the NHL Board of Governors. And for good reason. Also, the extra damages, suffering and disabilities listed in the claim -- on ice they would call that embellishment.

So once they start letting players and officials filing suit against each other, where does it stop? Obviously the official had no problem with the warranted and blind sided attack Wiedman suffered just seconds before. In comparison to severity, the official was only bumped by a shaken and confused player trying to make it safely to his bench. What's going to stop Wideman form counter suing based on that? Not only did he trust his safety to the officials who turned a blind eye to his being assaulted with excessive and dangerous force, the official actively tried to prevent the injured player from getting off the ice.

See? Embellishment. Wideman will never be able to trust an NHL official again, effectively eliminating any chance of a 100 million dollar career.

Actually I don't care about the case. If Henderson is truly permanently disabled then he needs to seek support like every other player that has received career ending injuries from intentional retribution. What I care about is the flood of unneeded, frivolous and embellished lawsuits that will come afterwards.
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda Huntress View Post
So once they start letting players and officials filing suit against each other, where does it stop? Obviously the official had no problem with the warranted and blind sided attack Wiedman suffered just seconds before. In comparison to severity, the official was only bumped by a shaken and confused player trying to make it safely to his bench. What's going to stop Wideman form counter suing based on that? Not only did he trust his safety to the officials who turned a blind eye to his being assaulted with excessive and dangerous force, the official actively tried to prevent the injured player from getting off the ice.
Frankly, NHL players should start complaining to the league about deliberate attacks by other players - and when injuries are suffered because of it, people should be facing civil, or even criminal penalties. People on the street would go to jail for fecking years for what some hockey players have done to others on the ice with absolute impunity.

No, not impunity - the blessing of the league, their own teams, and (last but sure as heck not least) the fans. If you watch hockey or even know a little bit about it you personally probably are already aware of this; but for anyone else who may not be: did you know that every NHL team has a player - specifically recruited for this purpose - who typically can't play for shizzle, can barely even skate sometimes, whose SOLE function in the entire game is to fight with the other team's fighter-player? That's ALL they're hired for. There's this stupid-ass invisible list of unwritten "rules" where certain "offenses" - mostly just plays and actions that the other team's players tend to get pissy about - earn a "penalty" which is that the offended team's bruiser gets to suddenly and unexpectedly punch, wall-bang, or body-slam the $&%# out of the offending team's guy?

It's really sad that a professional sport has fallen into a place like that. So shoot, far as I'm concerned, let the entire league sue itself into near-collapse and a forced major reform where BS checking and "revenge" beatings and "unwritten rules" and all that garbage gets left on the curb.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Adult Content

My Mood:
Not just a player. It's called the fourth line.

There was a movie not long ago called Goon which comically tells a bit about what they do and why. You can get the squeal in Canada but I don't think it has released in the states yet.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm Catman...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/15/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi;2379217 If you watch hockey or even know a little bit about it you personally probably are already aware of this; but for anyone else who may not be: did you know that every NHL team has a player - specifically recruited for this purpose - who typically can't play for shizzle, can barely even skate sometimes, whose SOLE function in the entire game is to [I
fight with the other team's fighter-player[/I]? That's ALL they're hired for. There's this stupid-ass invisible list of unwritten "rules" where certain "offenses" - mostly just plays and actions that the other team's players tend to get pissy about - earn a "penalty" which is that the offended team's bruiser gets to suddenly and unexpectedly punch, wall-bang, or body-slam the $&%# out of the offending team's guy?
The "goon" role has been getting phased out of hockey these past few years and teams have been purging them from their rosters.

I would agree with you if this was 10 years ago, or even 5...but not now. Yes, there may still be goons out there but they are not as they used to be.
Markubis is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed: