Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines. - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Sports » Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines.

Sports Discuss your favorite sports.

Sponsor:
Global Online Hockey Association

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
As A Service

SL Join Date: Jan 9, 2007
Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines.

I know I'm pretty much talking to myself, but this Sunday kicks off the NASCAR season with the Daytona 500.

I'm not ashamed to admit I love NASCAR, and auto racing in general. Every year I go to 1 race, usually Pocono, but I'm thinking of maybe New Hamphsire, Chicago or Watkins Glen. Someday, I'll get to Daytona too.
Brenda Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
NASCAR dies a little tiny bit for me this year with the retirement of my favorite driver. I consider myself a Keselowski fan and he's probably going to become my "favorite" for the near future at least; but I'm not a fan of him the way I'm a fan of Gordon. I mean, I've watched the guy ever since I was a little RL kid.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

whatever

Every year I watched the Indy 500 when it came on growing up. But I never did get around to attempting to watch any other race car event.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Joey Logano wins the Daytona 500! His first time. Great race!

Poor Jeff not only didn't win, but he got turned on the final lap and ended up back in the 30's- big wreck. That sucks - he would've had a top 10 finish at least. But! He did clinch the most laps led for the race, so there's that!

On the positive side, 88 didn't win - HA!
Old 02-23-2015, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Chillin' like a villain in my TARDIS, y'all!

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm....most of the time
Glad to see Joey Logano win the race. He's one of my favorite drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
NASCAR dies a little tiny bit for me this year with the retirement of my favorite driver. I consider myself a Keselowski fan and he's probably going to become my "favorite" for the near future at least; but I'm not a fan of him the way I'm a fan of Gordon. I mean, I've watched the guy ever since I was a little RL kid.
To me the problem with NASCAR is a lack of personalities and competitive talent. I started watching in the era when you had drivers like the Waltrips, Dale Earnhardt, Bill Elliot, the Labonte brothers, Rusty Wallace, Harry Gant, Ken Schrader, Ricky Rudd, Alan Kulwicki and a lot of other talented drivers.
Not many of the current drivers are all that interesting by comparison. And Jimmy Johnson already being a 6 time champion just goes to show that the competitiveness is watered down.

I used to watch at least 80% the races during the season, and more often than not every single race. I haven't watched more than half the races in a season since about 2004.

Don't have a lot of favorite drivers, either. Just Jimmy Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Joey Logano, Brad Keselowski, and Trevor Bayne. Used to like Tony Stewart and Carl Edwards, but no so much anymore. Cannot stand Kurt Busch AT ALL, am not too fond of Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Eric Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
As A Service

My favorites are Tony Stewart, Danika Patrick and Martin Truex, Jr.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
As A Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Knox View Post
Glad to see Joey Logano win the race. He's one of my favorite drivers.

To me the problem with NASCAR is a lack of personalities and competitive talent. I started watching in the era when you had drivers like the Waltrips, Dale Earnhardt, Bill Elliot, the Labonte brothers, Rusty Wallace, Harry Gant, Ken Schrader, Ricky Rudd, Alan Kulwicki and a lot of other talented drivers.
Not many of the current drivers are all that interesting by comparison. And Jimmy Johnson already being a 6 time champion just goes to show that the competitiveness is watered down.

I used to watch at least 80% the races during the season, and more often than not every single race. I haven't watched more than half the races in a season since about 2004.

Don't have a lot of favorite drivers, either. Just Jimmy Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Joey Logano, Brad Keselowski, and Trevor Bayne. Used to like Tony Stewart and Carl Edwards, but no so much anymore. Cannot stand Kurt Busch AT ALL, am not too fond of Dale Earnhardt Jr.
I think part of it is that there are so many drivrs in the middle of the pack, good capable drivers, but they never seem to be able to push it far enough and win. The winners come from that relatively small group of "elite" drivers.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Not going to have to worry about Kurt Busch for a while at least.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Travis Kvapil has withdrawn from this week's Atlanta race because the truck and trailer carrying his Sprint Cup car was stolen last night, and his team doesn't have a backup car available.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Chillin' like a villain in my TARDIS, y'all!

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm....most of the time
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar...162909366.html <------How is this fair? It sets a danger precedent because it pretty much lets a suspended driver still fight for the championship, which isn't right. I'd have no problem with it if after he was suspended it would proven that his ex is a liar. But that hasn't happened.
Eric Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
As A Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Knox View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nascar...162909366.html <------How is this fair? It sets a danger precedent because it pretty much lets a suspended driver still fight for the championship, which isn't right. I'd have no problem with it if after he was suspended it would proven that his ex is a liar. But that hasn't happened.
It wasn't proven she was telling the truth either if the AG is not filing any charges. Innocent till proven guilty and all. I guess that was enough for NASCAR. Unless another "elevator video" pops up, who knows what really happened?

Obviously money is a big factor here, a Cup Chase without Kurt Busch is not as appealing as one with him, plus I'm sure they didn't want any sort of drawn out legal battle he might have posed to be reinstated. If you want the cynical side of me, NASCAR holds 2 Cup races in Delaware each season, that's a LOT of money for the state, that some sort of back room deal was made isn't an impossibility.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

It occurs to me that expanding NASCAR to a more...heterogenous audience is gonna be an uphill battle as long as every single race begins with this Southern caricature screaming "BOOGITY BOOGITY BOOGITY!!!!" over the air.

When did they start doing that anyways? I don't remember ever hearing that watching races when I was little.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
As A Service

That's Darrell Waltrip's catchphrase, it's been going on for awhile.

I love hearing it to start every race.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

needs to edit profile/pics

SL Join Date: Sept 2006 (but not active till 2008)
Business: someday, someday ...

Thread Title of the Week 
12 hours of Sebring -Yay!

;-)
Robert Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Okay one more brag! Just one!

Well I'm planning a trip to Ohio next month and I already posted about going to an Indians game and how the ticket for that came in the mail yesterday.

Well, look what came in the mail today!

Infield parking pass ftw!

But, those are the only sportsy things I'm going to during my trip, so I can't brag about anything else I guess. Anyways!
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 04-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
As A Service

Pocono is a great place to watch a race.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

I'm a little unsure if I got the best seat. The grandstand, on the outside of the track, has a view of the entire speedway; but I've got an infield seat, which is on the other side of the track from the grandstand, meaning my back will be to turn 2 pretty much unless I spend the entire race constantly twisting my body around.

On the other hand, I'm right behind pit road...
Old 04-18-2015, 10:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
As A Service

I like sitting in the Grandstand. Like you said you can see the entire track, which is nice with it's unique configuration. Also, the feeling you get when the cars come down the straightaway for the green flag to start the race is incredible. The entire structure vibrates, and even with a headset on the noise is incredible.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

So I'm conflicted. My favorite driver of course is #24. His lead sponsor is Axalta. Coincidentally they are also the named sponsor of the race I'll be attending, the Axalta 400. Anyways, so Jeff's car will have a special paint scheme for the race. So natch, I'll wanna snag some gear with the special livery on it. But there's where I'm a bit conflicted. Axalta's special design for the race is blue and white and prominently places the name of Penn State. All the unique gear also includes the Penn State name somewhere on it.

I'm still a little sore about Penn State over the Sandusky business. I know all the responsible people in the matter are dead, in jail, or at the very least no longer with Penn State. I dunno, do you think it's been long enough that wearing a hat with Penn State somewhere on it shouldn't be awkward, if it means getting a piece of this particular event? It's not like I'll be there to support PSU and PSU isn't running in the race; Jeff Gordon is, who aside from this one-time paint scheme of Axalta's has nothing to do with PSU. Or should I just go with some kinda more-nonspecific Gordon swag?
Old 05-14-2015, 06:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
As A Service

Personally, I 'd buy the stuff if you want it. There is a time where you have to move on, and as you said, those responsible are gone.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 07-06-2015, 03:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Austin Dillon (who won Saturday's Xfinity race btw) walks away from a scary accident at the finish line of tonight's Coke Zero 400 at Daytona:

What do you think that camera operator just a few feet ahead of where that car hit the catch fence was thinking right about that moment?

Last edited by Dakota Tebaldi; 07-06-2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
As A Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Austin Dillon (who won Saturday's Xfinity race btw) walks away from a scary accident at the finish line of tonight's Coke Zero 400 at Daytona:

Dillon walks away from scary wreck - YouTube

What do you think that camera operator just a few feet ahead of where that car hit the catch fence was thinking right about that moment?
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
As A Service

Scary wreck, eerie too. It's Daytona, Dale Jr won the race and Dillon was driving the 3 car.
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Brad Keselowski is making his film debut - in Sharknado 3!!!

Old 08-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Wow! What a dramatic ending at Pocono! If you didn't see it, let's just say that the guy who won the race (Kenseth) started the last lap 15 seconds behind the leader. As soon as the clip of the last few laps of the race is posted I'll put it here.

The race was the Windows 10 400, btw.