Six Years of SLUniverse 2.0 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > SLU Related > SLU Announcements » Six Years of SLUniverse 2.0

SLU Announcements Site related announcements - replies only.

Sponsor:
ANOmations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Cool Six Years of SLUniverse 2.0

This June marks 6 years ago that SLU went from a quiet little forum to exploding in size and activity after SC #1 imploded and the main SL forums went to hell. I switched over to vBulletin, kicked everyone out of the old SLU forum and the rest is history. Six years later, here we are. Older, not necessarily wiser, but still here.

There have been some wonderful highs and some horrible lows along the way, and I don't know what the future holds, but I am incredibly proud of this site and keep it going because of all of you.

What are some of your favorite memories, both good and bad, of the past 6 years? Some of you have been here the entire time (a few of you for the full 10 years of SLU) and some are relatively new. Some cherished people are also no longer with us, and are dearly missed. You all are a huge part of what makes this site what it is.

Thank you for sticking around, making me crazy and making me happy.

Cristiano is online now   Reply With Quote
67 Users Said Yay!:
Alexa Lioncourt, Alexia Cournoyer, Aliselia Aeon, Anouk, Aria Dragonash, Arilynn, Astolat Dufaux, Autumn Palen, Ayu Sura, Bard Jameson, Beebo Brink, Brenda Archer, Briony McArdle, Bruise Shepherd, Casey Pelous, Chalice Yao, chellefire, Cindy Claveau, Circle Widdershins, Daniel Voyager, Danielle Destiny, Darkley, eighthdwarf Checchinato, Eliza Wrigglesworth, Erich Templar, Free Xue, Gabriele Graves, Galen McGinnis, Han Held, Hitomi Tiponi, IsaDaft Trollop, jacqueline trudeau, Johnnie Carling, Lady Darnk Juniorette, Lionheart Estate, Marianne McCann, Mariska Lysette, Maureen Boccaccio, Max Herzog, Menchor Barbosa, Merlynn D, Misty Harley, Mojo Skytower, Myf, NeoBokrug Elytis, NukeMom, OrinB, Pie Psaltery, Robert Jung, Rosanna, Roxanne Blue, Roxy Couturier, Sansarya, Sean Gorham, Seawitch, Shiloh Lyric, shy poster, Shyntae, Sid Nagy, TatianaDokuchic, Tengu Yamabushi, Tracer Graves, Tyche Shepherd, Willow Matthews, Xiomara Mendes, Xmara, yure4u Sosa
58 Users Said Thanks :
Alexa Lioncourt, Alexia Cournoyer, Aria Dragonash, Arilynn, Astolat Dufaux, Autumn Palen, Baltha, Bard Jameson, Briony McArdle, Bruise Shepherd, Bubba B, Casey Pelous, Danielle Destiny, eighthdwarf Checchinato, Ellie, Erich Templar, FlipperPA Peregrine, Free Xue, Gabriele Graves, Han Held, Isabeau Imako, Johnnie Carling, Lula Svoboda, Marianne McCann, Mariska Lysette, Maureen Boccaccio, Max Herzog, McQueen Vendetta, Memir Quinn, Menchor Barbosa, Merlynn D, Mojo Skytower, Myf, Nika Talaj, NukeMom, Obvious Schism, OrinB, Porsupah Ree, Raindrop Drinkwater, Robert Jung, Rosanna, Roxanne Blue, Roxy Couturier, Saint Pipra of Peevington, Sansarya, Sean Gorham, Seawitch, Shiloh Lyric, shy poster, Sid Nagy, Similar McMillan, SpaceCase, TatianaDokuchic, Tracer Graves, Tyche Shepherd, Willow Matthews, Xmara, yure4u Sosa
3 Users Agreed:
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

Headquarters? They don't suspect a thing.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008
Client: V3 w/Starlight

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Send a message via Skype™ to Free Xue
I've only been here for 4 of them. Must have been hell those first 2 years before I showed up.

[confused cats against feminism]
la lucha sigue...
Free Xue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
something's fucky.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.
My favourite memory is the big SC exodus and the warm welcome I got when I finally moved over.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 05-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
SLU is what keeps me sane, I know, that's scary right? This is the sane me.

I laugh here, I cry here, I learn here, I love here, I vent here.

As most of you know these recent weeks have been ... to say difficult is an understatement. No parent should have to see their child in hospital, it's changed me forever.

Trying to juggle working full time and playing nurse in the evenings while he recovers, not to mention the bf's heart attack, has left me needing a few minutes of escape now and again through the day or most often the evening.

Perhaps many would say this is the last place I should be when RL needs me so much, but that didn't work. I may no longer have time for SL, for blogging or flickr or plurk, but I make time for here when I can. Even if it's an hour every two days.

I don't know what I'd do without it.
It's more than a forum, it's my anchor.

Thank you Cris.
That may not have been it's purpose, or vision, but I don't think I'm alone in having multi-faceted reasons to be here than transcend Second Life.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
That template guy

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
Thanks for providing a home for one of the most intelligent, funny, and passionate communities on the interwebs. Even when I haven't been keeping up with SL, SLU has been my online home. Thank you for all of your hard work, patience, and hospitality.
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Guvnah of Caledon

Six years is hardly scratching it ~ the roots go much further back, I remember the first SLU and also the other virtual forum that preceded it. There are a few of us left who remember just about all of it.

My own estate is over seven years old; seeing SLU, even under the banner of "2.0" claim merely six, seems to hide the real story. You've got deep roots, be proud of them.
Desmond Shang is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
What are some of your favorite memories, both good and bad, of the past 6 years? ...
OH! i was so wrapped up in the mushy gratitude that I forgot to post a bad memory of SLU.

SLU is where I found out that River Song from Dr. Who had died.

I guess I was behind on the series, or in denial, it hadn't clicked in and then there it was in black and white.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten Fuzz

SL Join Date: May 2004

Oh that reminds me I need to update my PayPal credit card thingamabob.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten Fuzz

SL Join Date: May 2004

Second Life has changed my life, and SLU has been a big part of that, too. I would not be the same person without it. Thank you so much, Cris.
Lo Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Quintessential

*SLU Supporter*

Acceptable in the 80s

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 9 July 2006
Happy 6th SLU 2.0! And well done Cris for holding it all together so well.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
This is home. Thank you Cris for all you do for us. Thank you too for being a mature voice of wisdom. Managing a community is very hard, difficult and sometimes emotionally draining work - and it's made a home for us all. I owe you big time! I don't know what I would do without SLU. It kept me sane, first when I couldn't get onto a SL capable computer but still wanted to feel connected, and then after I mostly left SL, I just needed a community to be in. So here we are. As much as we need you, please always put yourself first - you go way above and beyond for us already. *hugs*
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Here is to six years of sharia court, hivemind, twatwaffles and douchecanoes!

I love you guys. <3
Except that Cris guy. Somebody should ban him already.
2 Users Agreed:
3 Users Like This:
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Haggis Wrangler

*SLU Supporter*

Wibble!

Business: .::Poise::. Poses
Best moment? Far too many to narrow it down, but would prolly be one of Free's lolcats, Coyos gifs or something Eku or Casey said.

Worst moment? Realising, about a year after I joined up, that I never did a "new user introduction" post and will thus remain forever pieless

Thanks for all the hard work Cris. I hope threads like this give some some tiny, fractional inkling of the regard we hold you in and the gratitude for keeping the doors open.
Mojo Skytower is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Usual Lurker

Drats....

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/13/2008
Client: Viewer 2
Re: Six Years of SLUniverse 2.0

Happy birthday SLU!

I found SLU through Snapzilla...Snapzilla, now there is something i haven't used in ages, my early days are there *scarey*

The best moment i remember well is the Emerald saga...Before that i was an Emerald user and after it i barely touched a third party client again (Metabolt and android clients excluded). Made me tackle the then painful client 2.0.

The latest changes on the official client are getting under my skin so i might consider third party clients again though if it wasn't for SLU back in the day, i would probably still be using Phoenix or another 1.X client.

Aldbaran Galicia is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
First off, Happy Anniversary, and thank you for this "home away from home" which does keep me sane at times.
Quote:
What are some of your favorite memories, both good and bad?
Hm... lemme think... The bad: Hmm... I think I have to think really hard to even find one that couldn't be solved by using the ignore function.

The good: There's been so many things and situations here proving what a great, empathic and helpful bunch of people the "SLU hive" is - I mean, look at the help eku got, or Mabb's partner, or all the others who needed and got emotional and substantial support. Look at the viewer and hardware support. Look at the "Help needed" subforum. Wherever you look, there's lots of mutual support here - even though the discussions can become rough at times.
To me, SLU is way more than the forums, Snapzilla, blogs and chat -- it's a community, and an embracing, loving, caring community at that. It's a HOME.

What is "real", what's "virtual"?

eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-31-2013, 05:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Villain in my own daydream

SL Join Date: 2004
I existed in the previous forum (back when, as I recall there was just about only one poster whom was active at all... I want to say Eboni... but I'm horrid with names), though I posted about as much then as I do now. I think I've been here for just about the full ten, the thing that keeps me coming back is the people though (those with us still and no longer). Its a special little constant on the internet that I've grown to rely on always being there to visit.
Memir Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm
I've been active on SLU since just a few weeks before the SCI influx, and browsing the forums is an engrained part of my daily routine from morning to night. The boisterous and challenging atmosphere has engaged my mind and my heart for years.

Bad: The times I've lost my temper and my perspective. Fortunately, that doesn't happen too often, but I regret when it does.

Good: So many to choose from, but... Having sex in my store (NSFW) ...

Thank you, Cris.

"Didn't you know that only a fashion blog could create this much chaos? They are the Large Hadron Colliders of SL drama." -- Arilynn

Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Like This:
Old 05-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tea Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Cherry red lips and sick on her boots

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 26th April 2007

Best Anglo-Saxon High Horse Reference 
I'm one of the SC horde though I'd probably only been on SC for a month or two . IIRC the June sign ups were when SC was down for a week and the final closure was more like August.

As Beebo says, SLU has become my home - Even if I don't post much , I'm in here lurking and reading every day and clickling those buttons

Bad thing about SLU : The wonderful people who are no longer here, whatever the reason for their absence

Good thing about SLU : The wonderful people who are still here, whatever the reason for their presence

Thank you to everyone, absent and present friends and SLU Family but especially Cris, who makes this all possible

Vanguard of the LolCatz Revolution
This Post was financed by The National LolCatz Archives

Clancy Sullivan :Yeah. YEAH! The sultry seamstress of mirth is definitely in charge now.
Certified 7.8 on the Official Non-Arbitrary Trout Algorithmic Slut scale

A public copy of my Second Life Main Grid Survey Database can be found at http://www.gridsurvey.com - Now with added Second Life Incidents !!

Tyche Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Prim Fancier

*SLU Supporter*

Current status [twirly]

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January, 2007
Client: v3
Thanks Cris

I joined during an SL outage that lasted hours and hours ... and hours. I was still in my first infatuation with SL and casting around for any information I could find when, up popped SLU on my google search with a whole thread about the outage. A few of us joined then I think and we were all welcomed and made to feel comfy.

Since then SLU has been my default go-to place to lurk on the interwebs. An amazing, intelligent, thoughtful and thought provoking community. This was the first forum I ever regularly posted in and other forums really don't stack up now.

Quote:
Cristiano We need to make 'endless celestial sex' into a thing.
Quote:
His Evol Holiness Trout of Troutlandia:
::The Temptress General Circle Widdershins, Dasher of Desires, Crusher of the Dreams of Mankind, Denter of Fenders, and High Priestess of The Temple of Carnage and Unholy Vice. She Whose Mere Presence Causes Her Enemies to Drop To Their Knees and Await Their Terrible Fate in Grim Obedience to Her Siren's Wail.::
Circle Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
I know how it's spelled!

SL Join Date: Jan 2005
Client: Official Viewer
Quote:
What are some of your favorite memories, both good and bad, of the past 6 years?
THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SURVEYS!

... did I do it right? Congrats SLU!
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Spooky Talking Toaster

Spooky eating toast . . . yum yum yum human hand.

SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm
Still the best (if possibly only) place to go to keep tabs on LL's shenanigans.

SL easily allows you to accidentally your entire pants. -- Adeon Writer

Let me avow you one object that you meliorate pound into your skull pearl: Metric Release PILLS ARE Bastard! -- Some Spammer
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #22 (permalink)
♂♂

Mmmm! Thousands

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Skytower View Post
Worst moment? Realising, about a year after I joined up, that I never did a "new user introduction" post and will thus remain forever pieless
/me passes Mojo some humble
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
♂♂

Mmmm! Thousands

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25th May 2007
I enjoy coming here and reading posts. As others have said the community here is pretty diverse, and the information people have tucked up their sleeves and are willing to share is priceless.

I agree with everyone who has mentioned missing people now not posting anymore, for whatever reason. Plenty of people i miss for one reason or other.

I'm not sure i have any specific good or bad moments to relate here. I have spat coffee at so many posts and even had to storm off and go and clean the house over others. But that diversity each day is what gives this place that special bling that makes you want to come back and explore it again and again.

Thanks Cris
OrinB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Client: Firestorm
I remember showing up during the whole Red Zone fiasco, just wish I'd wandered here sooner.
1 User Laughed:
3 Users Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zsa
Faffer Extraordinnaire

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 2007 (not this avi)
Client: FS
Warning: this post is rambly, will make no sense, and consists mostly of broken biscuits.

I have not been around very long sadly, but in the short time I have, even though I mostly lurk, SLU has been a constant. At a time when rl is really difficult for me, and I don't log into sl as much because I just don't have the energy to talk to anyone (I hide from the world when things get tough), SLU is a welcome distraction, I carry my tablet everywhere and am always checking back for new posts (goodness, that makes me sound like an SLU stalker!).

Sorry, my grammar and sentence structure is atrocious, not thinking straight but I wanted to add something to this thread, and more importantly, to thank you all, while none of you really know me, as a part of SLU, you are making a difference to one insignificant little lurker, without even knowing you are.

Best thing for me other than actually reading the posts, has been making friends with Anouk, at a time when I felt really alone and lost in sl. Anouk, if you read this, you really are an angel. Even though rl has meant I have missed the last few events, I will hopefully be back soon.
Zsa is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: