Portcullis help - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Development Discussion and Support > Scripting » Portcullis help

Scripting Discuss scripting and programming for SL and other platforms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
Client: Flavor of the week
Portcullis help

I need a script that not only lift a portcullis, but also "scrunch" the upper part.

This because it is a fantasy build, not an authentic castle. So it is windows over the arch with the portcullis.

I need it bc the build I bought is modify, but not the original portcullis script. That is set to not modify. So when I changed that part, the portcullis remember the old placement.

I thought to fix it myself, no need to go wah wah wah to the seller.

It was easy enough to find a cheap and goodlooking portcullis on the MP, but now I am lost. I don't know what I'll search for.

I would really like the script set to owner only / group / all.

I am sure someone has made this, but how to find it?
"My opinion is, a designer should always try to enhance the inworld experience for his clients. In a virtual world, where individuality is hard to obtain, selling modifieable items is like selling a bit of freedom. Think about that." ~Silent Sky
Marianne Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Scanned

I'm going to disagree with the assumption that someone has made something like this for the use case as you described with explanation.

If you had an object that could be resized on any combination of axes, one or more, you can do this, but - it would have to be so simple of a texture that its size change did not change the objects appearance. It might even need nothing but color for that to work, or a texture which can be stretched in height alone without changing its looks. Then you only have to raise its height and shorten the prim at the same time in proper proportion, adjusting texture accordingly if needed.

For explaining, I'll include this image for reference -

If your bars were vertical only, you might do this with obvious appearance changes greater only for more detailed textures than for a simple color. With both horizontal and vertical bars, this could only work on a basic box or plane with an image giving its appearance that could be altered. This would be only a picture of a portcullis and it would be obvious.

You said you have a mesh one. Changing its scale on one axis to keep it from appearing in your window above will change the size of the rectangle sections and any other unique parts of its design at the same time.

What I see that might work first would require at least a cushion of room between the arch and its window above, where enough of the object can exist without having to care how that part looks, and a texture or object specifically made for your use.

You can then get smooth movement up, hiding faces as they are covered by this space in between. This would need an object created with its height divided into multiple faces.

I think you might be able to use what you have only with a custom texture made for it. It would need an alpha channel, with degrees of alpha changing vertically. Then you could raise it normally with a sliding door style script that also changed alpha mask accordingly. I doubt you will find that already made by anyone for SL, and especially specific for your need.

Maybe someone else knows better, but that's my reasoning.
bcBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne Little View Post
I need a script that not only lift a portcullis, but also "scrunch" the upper part.

This because it is a fantasy build, not an authentic castle. So it is windows over the arch with the portcullis.

I need it bc the build I bought is modify, but not the original portcullis script. That is set to not modify. So when I changed that part, the portcullis remember the old placement.

I thought to fix it myself, no need to go wah wah wah to the seller.

It was easy enough to find a cheap and goodlooking portcullis on the MP, but now I am lost. I don't know what I'll search for.

I would really like the script set to owner only / group / all.

I am sure someone has made this, but how to find it?
Depending on how the portcullis is made, you probably want to play around with either Zilla's Curtain Script (for uncut prims or meshes with the axes meeting in the middle of the visible mesh) or Omei Qunhua's updated version if the prim is pathcut/sliced in half or the mesh has an offset centre.

Omei's update is better to use if you have the choice, because it's more efficient, but there's nothing wrong with Zilla's original version if you have to use it.

To make it group/owner only, do this with the touch_start event:
Code:
{
	state_entry()
	{

}

touch_start(integer total_number)
	{
		if((llDetectedKey(0) == llGetOwner()) || (llDetectedGroup(0))){//is the toucher my owner or wearing the tag of the group to which I am set?

// put all the stuff from the original touch_start event here
			//and here....

}//end of test
	}//end of touch_start
}
]
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
I tried a blinds script.
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...t-Demo/4092054

I am not totally sure, it looks like it scrunch up from the bottom. The demo was so flat, I don't know how a thicker mesh gate will look.

A roll up garage door can work. It is enough room up to the windows and a thick floor.

I have not less than 4 options if I can't find anything goodlooking when it is moving up:

Skrew the resizing and keep the castle big.

Beg the designer for a 15% smaller castle, if she will do that.

Use thick wood doors that fit in the opening. I have several options on the MP. Edit: Or these. They look Nice With Capital N. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p...9203228?page=1

Remove the stairs , put in a small stable. I would not use the vaults much anyway. If I close off it, I can still use a teleporter down.

Last edited by Marianne Little; 04-19-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

My first name is Sei

My Mood:
I sell a door script that can move, resize and rotate the door (or portcullis in this case) in the same operation. It auto-detects the pivot for rotation when rotating. It can do all these permissions and even whitelist/blacklist.

There's no demo version available, but there's a platform with several demos.

I guess it's bad etiquette to post the link here, so I'll leave it up to you to find it.
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
the only way I can imagine this working properly with a mesh prime grill is if it's aligned on the z axis, and using simultaneous move/slice to preserve the visible edge at the correct scale. With a texture based version the halfcut resize can work, but requires planar mapping mode for the texture and again a move, to preserve the visible edge (because only the 'center' of the prim would be image stable). that method could also work with mesh, but only if you have the ability to place the leading edge at the prim center.

no clue if any of the suggested options provide that simultaneous [slice/resize]+move for preservation of the visible edge, but it's not complicated as a tweak

possible alternative is to have it raise into position from the floor/ground or the side(s), which allows for non-resizing options if you have the room to spare in those directions... not as classical but potentially easier for a fantasy build
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not as dumb as I look

More coffee, please

SL Join Date: March 2007
Or, paint your image on the bottom half of a square texture, leaving the upper half transparent. Then drop the texture on a prim that fills the entire portcullis opening. To open, scroll the texture upward with texture offsets. When the visible image is high enough to walk under, make the prim phantom.

It's not as fancy, and it leaves you with the challenge of doing something to make the lower edge of the portcullis appear solid (maybe drag a prim with a textured bottom edge upward?), but it's cheap and easy.

Look for my scripted tools and my mesh items for the home and garden in SL's Marketplace at https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/12305
Rolig Loon is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
I shop, therefore I am

My Mood:
I just wanted to come back and thank you all.

I have not forgotten the doors, but now I am looking at the build and wish to mod it more.

That will be difficult, because to hold the LI Down, the creator has not only used walls and corners with openings, but also some custom parts.

I also think about cutting the dungeon in two, using one room as Kitchen, maybe a wine cellar.

Thinking, thinking. I bought some mesh buider stair packs and castle walls. The challenge is that removing or moving something, affects another part.

The limit for placing builds in the sky, is 100 m distance from other builds. I got two platforms exactly in my height, that wasn't there before. I usually keep the drawing distance to 124 and can see them. It is annoying- I wonder if the neighbours don't like me.

I think I shall move the castle 200 m up and see what happens. I inspected the sim in 512 m viewing distance before I placed down the sky castle.

So the doors/portcullis is going to wait.