Do You Know How to Disable Google's Account Chooser? - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » Do You Know How to Disable Google's Account Chooser?

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Do You Know How to Disable Google's Account Chooser?

If you have Gmail, you'll have noticed that, when you log out, Google shows a page that says, "One account. All of Google." That page then lists the Gmail user ID of the account that you were just using, and gives you an option to add another account.

I don't want to associate the accounts of "SLCumBucketSlut," "RabbleRousingBlogger," and "StaidProfessional", particularly on a computer that others may see, so I would like Gmail to resume its prior behavior of just logging me out when I log out -- i.e., giving me a login screen with both user ID and password fields empty. Of course, Google provides no information on how to disable Account Chooser, the name it gives this service downgrade.

Neither Internet Explorer's "Delete browing history on exit" nor Firefox's "Never remember history" have any effect. I have to delete history manually and close and relaunch the browser to make Google forget my previous log in. (That work around works with both IE and FF.)

I have learned to live with Gmail's prior downgrades, such as Conversation View (which mercifully can be turned off) and the New Compose (which can't be, as far as I know), and GoogleDocs and Google Hangout can actually be useful for a team to review a document together in real time. Account Chooser is probably the last straw for me, unless there is a way to disable it. Hello, Yahoo/Lycos/Hotmail (ugh to all).
sldenizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
I use either incognito mode in chrome or user profiles in Chrome.

For example. I have two icons for Chrome, one opens all my SL stuff, the othet opens my RL stuff. For all purposes, they are completely independant.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE THIS DECADE?!

My Mood:
Right now I quarantine google products and facebook in a separate browser. I also make regular throwaway google accounts for casual surfing/youtube, etc.

At some point I may start launching a separate virtualbox OS for quarantined services but I haven't started that yet.

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Weber View Post
Right now I quarantine google products and facebook in a separate browser. I also make regular throwaway google accounts for casual surfing/youtube, etc.

At some point I may start launching a separate virtualbox OS for quarantined services but I haven't started that yet.
I have seriously been consi dering moving in this direction. Google is starting to seem extremely sinister these days and Facebook has been for a while.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Wants *things*

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sldenizen View Post
If you have Gmail, you'll have noticed that, when you log out, Google shows a page that says, "One account. All of Google." That page then lists the Gmail user ID of the account that you were just using, and gives you an option to add another account.

I don't want to associate the accounts of "SLCumBucketSlut," "RabbleRousingBlogger," and "StaidProfessional", particularly on a computer that others may see, so I would like Gmail to resume its prior behavior of just logging me out when I log out -- i.e., giving me a login screen with both user ID and password fields empty. Of course, Google provides no information on how to disable Account Chooser, the name it gives this service downgrade.

Neither Internet Explorer's "Delete browing history on exit" nor Firefox's "Never remember history" have any effect. I have to delete history manually and close and relaunch the browser to make Google forget my previous log in. (That work around works with both IE and FF.)

I have learned to live with Gmail's prior downgrades, such as Conversation View (which mercifully can be turned off) and the New Compose (which can't be, as far as I know), and GoogleDocs and Google Hangout can actually be useful for a team to review a document together in real time. Account Chooser is probably the last straw for me, unless there is a way to disable it. Hello, Yahoo/Lycos/Hotmail (ugh to all).
This Google support page has links to disable the account chooser and to re-enable it, which seem to work: https://support.google.com/accounts/.../1691643?hl=en

ETA Disabling the account chooser leaves you, after you log out, with the single option of logging back in using the account you were using when you logged out (or at least I think it does ... I have LastPass installed, which might be confusing matters).

Last edited by Innula Zenovka; 11-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Random Chat Bot

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 19, 2007
Business: SunBunny Creative
Client: Exodus Viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
I have seriously been consi dering moving in this direction. Google is starting to seem extremely sinister these days and Facebook has been for a while.
Google still records all your searches (www.google.com/searchhistory) and keeps your IP address. So whether you are logged into one account or another they can be tied together. A VM coupled with a non-US based VPN service is about all you can do to separate all your virtual selves.
Summer Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04... that account is deleted now
I've hated this since they implemented it... and for similar reasons.

My solution? don't check "remember me" any more, (you'll need to remove the existing "remembered" accounts) once you do that it's back to just blank entries.

I've also had to revise my link to the damn sign in page because now I get a dumbass splash screen, and I've went ahead and made sure to remove google from my list of exception for "remove all cookies when I close the browser"....

can they track me? sure, but I'm not making it easier on them.. no definitive answers = P
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

My Mood:
I've been happy with DuckDuckGo and startpage.com. The only searches coming up in my Google search history are image searches (where I bite the bullet since there aren't many good alternatives.)
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2009
Business: pHeNiX
I clear my cache/history when I want to use another account.
Mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/16/2009
This link has worked well for me when switching between accounts. Just be sure to sign out of one account before you click it. It'll take you to the login page with both the fields blanked out.

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...n&service=mail

Every once in a while the previous account name will appear, probably because of cookies. As far as I can tell though, my accounts have remained unassociated with each other.
Zoidyn Kytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

My Mood:
Another tool to consider is the Blender plug-in (nothing to do with the 3D tool):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/blender-1/

Even if you TOR or use a VPN, data collectors can do a pretty good job identifying you via unique signature (check out: https://panopticlick.eff.org/ My signature was unique among 3,623,761 other hits ... so this may as well be an IP address as far as they're concerned. Even better since the signature on my computer is different than the signature for the other people sharing this connection). Blender fakes that information.

Last edited by Aimee Weber; 11-22-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Dear Aimee, thank you for schooling me on how non paranoid I actually am being about privacy.

Time to step up my game a bit.
1 User Laughed:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 11-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Verti's Minion

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 5, 2005
I absolutely love DuckDuckGo. They don't track you, they don't filter your search results, they provide super-quick shortcuts to popular search engines and websites via their "bang syntax" (which are also anonymous), and they even have a node on the TOR network if you use that. There's an iOS app, too. They're my default search for everything now.
Sean Gorham is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Another tool to consider is the Blender plug-in (nothing to do with the 3D tool):

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/blender-1/

Even if you TOR or use a VPN, data collectors can do a pretty good job identifying you via unique signature (check out: https://panopticlick.eff.org/ My signature was unique among 3,623,761 other hits ... so this may as well be an IP address as far as they're concerned. Even better since the signature on my computer is different than the signature for the other people sharing this connection). Blender fakes that information.
Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

fonts are enumerated and available for query? I rather expected the browser plugins, since that's basically required info for content serving (although I never expected the level of uniqueness there)... between the two of those and an IP it'd be hard to miss a unique machine... and the longer that machine is used, the more unique it's likely to become.
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
My solution? don't check "remember me" any more, (you'll need to remove the existing "remembered" accounts) once you do that it's back to just blank entries.
That doesn't work when I do it.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
This Google support page has links to disable the account chooser and to re-enable it, which seem to work: https://support.google.com/accounts/.../1691643?hl=en
That link just goes to the account chooser page when I click it.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
log out (which puts you at account chooser) remove all displayed accounts until you get a regular two section login prompt. from then on out NEVER check the "remember me" box... whenever you log out of whichever account you are on, you will be thrown to the basic logout prompt.

doesn't work if you have cookies enabled, and just close the browser instead of logging out, unless you have cookies set to be removed when you close the broswer.
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Splendidly Sesquipedalian

Not sure if this is 100% the same thing, but I do know it's related. I have a google account that uses my (unique in the world so far as I've seen) real name and a youtube account that until recently did not. I resisted all the persistent, annoying nagging it gave me trying to get me to change my account to use my real name- seriously, why the fuck would I want to use my real name on youtube? But it has now linked the two.

I do get the option to choose between whether to use my real name gmail account or my pseudonymous youtube account on youtube, but quite often youtube defaults to using my real name and I sometimes don't even notice till I've already started doing stuff on youtube. Anyone know how can I make it so that youtube always uses my pseudonymous youtube account and doesn't do this bullshit where it tries to link it to my gmail which I don't want it anywhere near? It makes me feel pretty insecure.

Why would I want my real name bandied about when I'm wading into the youtube comment cesspit, why would I want to have people be able to google my name and find out roughly what I look like and roughly where I live after looking at what I wrote in a youtube comment or what I uploaded on youtube? It's not like I'm doing anything super-controversial but youtube commenters aren't exactly the most reasonable sorts, and it makes me feel pretty vulnerable to online abuse thinking how easy it would make finding out about me if my real name was disclosed. I don't have the luxury of having my real name hidden among others with the same name.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

My Mood:
It's not about what you want, Morgoth. I think Facebook and Google are in an all-out race to become the official identity registration for the internet. Google is doing it by trying to unify essential search, video, and cloud services. Zuckerberg has been cozying up with every politician he can, probably to sneak Facebook into government bureaucracy (imagine needing Facebook to register your car or to pay your taxes).

They want this. They want it bad. And what the corporations want the corporations get.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 11-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2006
Business: [e bar]
Client: FS
Quote:
I've been happy with DuckDuckGo and startpage.com. The only searches coming up in my Google search history are image searches (where I bite the bullet since there aren't many good alternatives.)
Thanks for mentioning these, I've switched!
Ellen Cordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks: