Deadly Drug Interactions From Grapefruit - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » Deadly Drug Interactions From Grapefruit

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Deadly Drug Interactions From Grapefruit

Grapefruit may turn more drugs deadly, scientists find - Vitals

Cristiano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm
Mrs. Beebo and I each take one of the referenced drugs, but we get our presecriptions filled at different pharmacies. HER pharmacy has a warning sticker about grapefruit juice and apparently has had it for years; mine does not.

I plan on asking my pharmacist about that omission this week.

"Didn't you know that only a fashion blog could create this much chaos? They are the Large Hadron Colliders of SL drama." -- Arilynn

Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
*blink*

*SLU Supporter*

Vatican mole

My Mood:
One of the drugs I take for cholesteral (simvastatin if I'm spelling it correctly) is on the list, with a very high chance of interaction to break down skeletal muscles and induce kidney failure.

I'm going to ask my doctor to put me on something else. There's no telling where grapefruit juice and related will show up in the food stream. Its also in some forms of marmelade and other citrus (but not oranges).
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 11-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Script Kitty

SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
The grapefruit issue has been known for a while, and I've never understood why grapefruits, grapefruit juice, and products containing grapefruit don't carry warnings. I just avoid the stuff. It may be difficult to find drugs that don't involve the CYP-3A4 pathway (and I've seen some references to the possibility that grapefruit might also affect CYP-2D6 as well). Also, in addition to increasing the max plasma concentration, as mentioned in the article, blocking a major metabolic pathway like that can also prolong the overall half-life and duration of effect for a drug. So for drugs that are taken multiple times a day, the initial dose might not cause problems, but it won't wear off before the next dose is taken, etc.

Food and drinks containing phenylalanine carry warnings for phenylketonurics who might be unable to metabolize it. A far greater portion of the population takes drugs metabolized by CYP-2D6, so shy don't food and drinks containing grapefruit at least carry a requirement to mention that it contains grapefruit?

I have to wonder if it's the naturalistic fallacy striking again, it always does seem to pop up wherever there's a potential to get people killed.
But I cannot take your arguments seriously when you back them up with links to ridiculously bad information. It's not bad because I disagree with it, it's bad because it really is bad. These sites demonstrate zero knowledge of the science they are discussing, they link almost exclusively to other non-information, and when they DO link to an authoritative source, they misrepresent what the source actually says.
Jahar Aabye is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :