Apple and Amazon Security Flaws, and Epic Hacking - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » Apple and Amazon Security Flaws, and Epic Hacking

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
nubcake

there otter be a law...

My Mood:
Apple and Amazon Security Flaws, and Epic Hacking

Scary stuff
How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
Quote:
In the space of one hour, my entire digital life was destroyed. First my Google account was taken over, then deleted. Next my Twitter account was compromised, and used as a platform to broadcast racist and homophobic messages. And worst of all, my AppleID account was broken into, and my hackers used it to remotely erase all of the data on my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook.
Quote:
As of Monday, both of these exploits used by the hackers were still functioning. Wired was able to duplicate them. Apple says its internal tech support processes weren’t followed, and this is how my account was compromised. However, this contradicts what AppleCare told me twice that weekend. If that is, in fact, the case — that I was the victim of Apple not following its own internal processes — then the problem is widespread.
Amazon went on to quietly fix the gaping security hole...

Last edited by Sea Warcliffe; 08-07-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: I will always edit
Sea Warcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Making Mesh

My Mood:
Quote:
Previously, Amazon allowed people to call in and change the email address associated with an Amazon account or add a credit card number to an Amazon account as long as the caller could identify him or herself by name, email address and mailing address — three bits of personal information that are easily found online.
From WIRED

That is just crazy. How did they not realize that those three pieces of information were easy to find???
AshaSekayi Ra is offline   Reply With Quote