Nobody Cares! (Science & Tech Edition) - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » Nobody Cares! (Science & Tech Edition)

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #51 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
Gaming Guru 
Phil Schiller on New iPhone Connector, Lack of NFC, Wireless Charging - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

Quote:
In an interview, Apple Senior VP Phil Schiller said that Passbook alone does what most customers want and works without existing merchant payment systems.

It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem, Schiller said. “Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today.”

As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it’s not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said.

“Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,” Schiller said.

As for why the company is changing the dock connector that has been on nearly all iPhones and iPods since 2003, Schiller said it simply wasn’t possible to build products as thin as the new iPhones and iPods without changing the cord. Hence, the new “Lightning” connector.

That said, Schiller said that Apple doesn’t take changing the connector lightly.

“This is the new connector for many years to come,” he said.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #52 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Man who skipped paying hotel bill nabbed through toothbrush he left behind | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #54 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Windows 8 packaging and pricing revealed: standard OEM $99, Pro Pack $139, pre-order from today -- Engadget

P.S. Amazon is giving a $10 discount so it'll turn out to actually be a little bit cheaper than the price even after shipping is added but only for this weekend.

Last edited by Edav Nomad; 10-13-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #55 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
The Google Nexus 7 has an update that finally allows the home screen to be viewed in landscape mode.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #56 (permalink)
Padawan Harper

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
WHY HAS THIS NOT A STICKINESS/
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #57 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamon View Post
WHY HAS THIS NOT A STICKINESS/
BECAUSE WE HAVE NOT ANY MACHINE!!

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #58 (permalink)
Padawan Harper

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
IT MAKES THE WATER LIKE BOXES1
Khamon is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #59 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003
Apple has announced that Senior VP of iOS Software Scott Forstall is leaving Apple. Designer Jony Ive will subsequently take a leadership role for Human Interface across the entire company. It's believed the failed launch of the iOS 6 Maps app was the final straw that pushed Forstall out the door. Craig Federighi, the VP of Mac Software, will now be in charge of both OSX and iOS, indicating Apple may be persuing a unified strategy across both platforms.

It's also believed that Forstall has been the driving force behind the controversial skeuomorphism featured on many of the iOS system apps. Jony Ive is reportedly not fond of the skeuomorphism trend, so we may see iOS (and OSX) software begin to leave behind the stitched leather and green felt textures in apps like Calendar, Contacts, Game Center, etc., giving way to Ive's more minimalist and elegant (and award-winning) design style.

Also departing is Apple's Senior VP of Retail, John Brownett. Brownett had been on the job for less than a year, and having come from a more traditional retail background it became clear that his cost-saving strategies were at odds with Apple's customer service philosophies. A replacement for Brownett has not yet been named.

Forstall Out | Daring Fireball

Now, the Real Jony Ive Era Begins at Apple - Time

Last edited by Pol; 10-30-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #60 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Personally I've found the claims of Apples supposed skeuomorphic tendencies to be a bit overrated... functional elements, and metaphoric iconography are often included as indicating this when they shouldn't be. Skeuomorphism is about non-functional analogues of functional design elements. I'd probably also exclude anything that is a direct virtual representation of a specific physical device (but not a generic one) if it's goal is to both emulate (rather than loosely mimic) it's specific behavior and/or train/demonstrate the use of the physical version.
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #61 (permalink)

Gore

SL Join Date: 2004
Business: primOptic eyewear
I just learnt a new word today!
Nibb Tardis is online now   Reply With Quote
4 Users Agreed:
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #62 (permalink)
Banned

SL Join Date: Jan 2007
Thinking about negative kelvin makes my brain feel like it's about to explode. If we can reverse the laws of thermodynamics then what does that mean for perpetual motion or time travel? I know it's quantum so it's not like I can make my body go reverse kelvin to reverse the aging process, but this is still ten different kinds of crazy.

Negative temperature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
bubblesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #63 (permalink)
Eternal n00b
Who? Me?

My Mood:
Client: Restrained Love Viewer (v2.8.3.5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibb Tardis View Post
I just learnt a new word today!
As did I. And my head hurts.
Brianna Ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #64 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Is Samsung's multi-window mode coming to the Galaxy S III? -- Engadget

Last edited by Edav Nomad; 11-13-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #65 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
The Nexus 7 is getting the Android OS 4.2 update today and I'm guessing it's for all of them since I got a notification today and am currently updating to it.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #66 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
It took a little to get use to it since they now have seperate pull downs for Notifications and Quick Settings.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #67 (permalink)

Gore

SL Join Date: 2004
Business: primOptic eyewear
I just got myself a Samsung Galaxy Note 1 for 74 euros as renewal on my plan. This thing is huge, but the screen is too... When compared to my old HTC Desire, I wonder how I managed for so long. Once you've used this, anything else looks like a toy.

I know it's the old version, but it was cheap... and it's getting all the features of the Note 2 next month with the 4.1.2 update.

Envoyé depuis mon GT-N7000 avec Tapatalk
Nibb Tardis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #68 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Adobe updates Photoshop Touch to get cozy on the iPad mini and Nexus 7

It only costs $9.99.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #69 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003
Apple's major overhaul to iTunes is now available for download:
Apple | iTunes 11
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #70 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Popslate launches iPhone 5 case with four-inch E Ink screen (video)

Popslate: The Second Screen Experience - YouTube
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #71 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Best Buy Sends Customers 5 iPads By Mistake, Says To Keep Them Anyway - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
Best Buy is playing the good guy this holiday season.

A Best Buy customer ordered an iPad and was shocked when a box filled with five of them showed up at her door.

She reached out to the Consumerist for help, and they contacted Best Buy. They told her to keep them.

" We, here at Best Buy, acknowledge that we obviously made a mistake, but in the spirit of the holidays, we encourage you to keep the additional iPads and give them to people in need – friends, family, a local school or charity," Best Buy responded.

Then, another customer wrote in who had the same experience — five iPads instead of one.

He was also told to keep them.
3 Users Like This:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #72 (permalink)
Padawan Harper

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #73 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I'm not finished.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Victoria Police Online News Centre - Police concerned with Apple iOS 6 mapping system
Quote:
Mildura Police are urging motorists to be careful when relying on the mapping system on the Apple i-phones operating on the iOS 6 system after a number of motorists were directed off the beaten track in recent weeks.

Local Police have been called to assist distressed motorists who have become stranded within the Murray-Sunset National Park after following directions on their Apple i-phone.

Tests on the mapping system by police confirm the mapping systems lists Mildura in the middle of the Murray Sunset National Park, approximately 70km away from the actual location of Mildura.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #74 (permalink)

I stand between.

My Mood:
I'm thinking I might want to splurge and get myself a tablet for Christmas (cheaper than replacing my desktop which is my other big wish). I've never used one and have no idea what to get, though!

Would mostly be used for watching videos, websurfing, reading e-books, maybe some light gaming (I have no idea about the logistics of that on a tablet) if that matters.
The Republican Party needs to end now. You've fucked everything up. All your representatives are assholes and your primitive ideas are holding our country back. You are all utterly and completely worthless and irredeemable, and you hate human beings, America, and the planet we all share.
Seyla Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #75 (permalink)
Padawan Harper

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
Very light gaming. It was my choice when the PC died to replace it with a tablet. Finally settled on an ASUS Transformer 700 running Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Apps are available through GooglePlay but software can also be "sideloaded."

There's a separate docking station that has an actual keyboard and will fold over to cover the gorilla glass screen as though the unit were a laptop. The dock has an actual USB port and an additional battery that doubles the unplugged time. No, I don't own any stock.

Take your time and research. It's still a substantial investment. One initial question is whether or not you want 3/4G. Either way narrows your field.