Nobody Cares! (Science & Tech Edition) - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » Nobody Cares! (Science & Tech Edition)

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
I'm Catman...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/15/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edav Nomad View Post

Awwww... isn't that the sweetest kind of flattery!

oh wait...that won't work..hmmm

The space to shine
is all a blip
and so am I.

- J Mascis
Markubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003

Last edited by Pol; 09-25-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

My Mood:

Awards: 1
Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
Awwww... isn't that the sweetest kind of flattery!

oh wait...that won't work..hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
They do two different things and for different audiences so there probably won't be a problem.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #29 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Anybody here have Dish Networks Hopper? Any experience with it and is it worth getting?

My Dad has decided to switch back to Dish Network from DirecTV because he is a fanatic for recording TV shows mostly those home and property improvement ones even though he is now unable to do most of the things they do.
Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
iPhone 5 Sells out in First Hour - IGN

Quote:
Apple sold out its initial supply in less than an hour. That's pretty impressive, especially compared with the 22 hours the iPhone 4S took to sell out.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
Fox 5 News reveals some amazing new iPhone features | 9to5Mac

you would think people would check their facts when it comes to features before they show it on tv...

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"

Last edited by Kalel; 09-18-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #32 (permalink)

I hear Fox do stuff on politics too.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Apple iOS 6 has been released for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. If you have an iDevice you want to update, open your "Settings" app, select "General" and then "Software Update."

More info: Apple - iOS 6 - iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch get 200+ new features.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #34 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Windows Phone 8 may land October 29th, just days after its desktop brother -- Engadget

Quote:
Word on the street is that Windows Phone 8 will get its official launch on October 29th. When asked for confirmation, Microsoft issued a pretty standard "no comment," which is at least a small step better than an outright denial. With Windows 8 slated to land on October 26th, we wouldn't be surprised to see its portable counterpart hit the market just a few days later, as ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley is suggesting.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #35 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 

I was leaning towards getting the Lumia 920 but now I'm setting my sights on the HTC 8X . I've never had a major problems with a HTC phone.
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #36 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
RIM is having an event on Tuesday the 25th. Probably going to talk about BlackBerry OS 10.

BlackBerry Jam Americas 2012 starts tomorrow, get your liveblog here! -- Engadget
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
Padawan Harper

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
I hope RIM surpluses BES and allows their new OS to connect directly to collaboration servers via SYNC.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Barnes & Noble has released Nook HD and Nook HD+ tablets to compete with Amazon's latest offerings.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #39 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
First hands-on with the Windows Phone 8X and 8S by HTC - YouTube

I was leaning towards getting the Lumia 920 but now I'm setting my sights on the HTC 8X . I've never had a major problems with a HTC phone.
The only thing I've found wrong with the 8X is that it has no micro-SD slot like the 8S does but the 8X has double the internal memory than the 8S does (8GB). Of course you still have cloud services like SkyDrive and DropBox.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #40 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #41 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
can anyone else understand what he's saying? I wanna know if it's just my poor ability to distinguish multiple voices or or if it's the video
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #42 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
can anyone else understand what he's saying? I wanna know if it's just my poor ability to distinguish multiple voices or or if it's the video
The description on the YouTube page:

Quote:
The one where I challenge the new HTC 8X with amplifier to a loudness contest. I try to talk over the music playing but alas, I lose.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #43 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
heh so it's NOT just me.... I can distinguish that he's talking and that the phone is playing music, and they even have different tone and brightness, but my brain just refuses to lock on to one or the other. I have similar problems with restaurants, I get snatches of conversation from everywhere, but they each invade each other.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #44 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Nokia Seals Mapping Deal With Oracle - By John D. Stoll - News - AllThingsD

Quote:
Nokia Corp., looking to increase use of its mapping software, will unveil a new deal with Oracle Corp. intended to give Oracle’s stable of customers access to Nokia’s growing vault of map data and location services.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon Counters Apple, Says App Store Is Generic Term - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD

Quote:
In a new court filing with the U.S. District Court in Oakland, Calif., Amazon asked a federal judge to dismiss Apple’s false-advertising claim, arguing again that the term “app store” is now so commonplace as to be generic. And in using it to promote its “Appstore” mobile software developer program and the associated download service, Amazon isn’t misleading anyone.

“The use of the term ‘app store’ to refer to stores selling apps is commonplace in the industry,” Amazon wrote in its filing, adding that Apple’s own executives have used it generically on a number of occasions. “Apple presumably does not contend that its past and current CEOs made false statements regarding those other app stores to thousands of investors in earnings calls.”

In other words, if, as Apple claims, “consumers of mobile software downloads are likely to be confused as to whether Amazon’s mobile software download service is sponsored or approved by Apple,” then CEO Tim Cook and his predecessor, Steve Jobs, have themselves perpetuated that confusion.

Last edited by Edav Nomad; 09-30-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #45 (permalink)
Disestablishmentarian

*SLU Supporter*

MORE BARN!!!!!!!!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 18/june/2007
Re-installing OSX into my niece's MacBook Pro.
It's a first for me, as I've never had to do it on any of my own machines.

"And that "quote' about depression and assholes around you? I never said that. I did RT it, though." - William Gibson
Bruise Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #46 (permalink)
Disestablishmentarian

*SLU Supporter*

MORE BARN!!!!!!!!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 18/june/2007
The MBP was reluctant to boot up, even into safe mode. I did manage to enable target mode though, and access the drive over FireWire, then used Diskwarrior to rebuild the directory. This allowed me to log into her user account, and create a new admin account which works as it should.

Now to recreate her main account, from a backup, without admin permissions
Bruise Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #47 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
On the anniversary of Steve Jobs' death (Oct. 5) Apple has posted a special tribute on their homepage.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #48 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Boy discovers rare, nearly intact woolly mammoth | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News

They believe that this one might have been killed by a Human or another Wooly Mammoth.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
FIFY.
KT Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #50 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Xbox Music to launch on October 26th with free ad-supported streaming | The Verge

Quote:
Microsoft is preparing to launch its Xbox Music service on October 26th. Multiple sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have confirmed the new service will launch at the same time as Windows 8. We're told that subscriptions, like the current Zune Music Pass offering, will be available alongside a free streaming service supported by ads — similar to Spotify. The service will be available on Windows Phone, Windows 8, and Xbox 360.

A key part of the service is Microsoft's SkyDrive integration that will allow users to store music and playlists in a cloud collection — available across multiple devices. Although Microsoft has plans to offer Xbox Music across multiple platforms, including iOS and Android, apps will not be immediately available we're told. Microsoft is also planning to launch an Xbox dashboard update to support Xbox Music on its console.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T-Mobile stores now stocking iPhone 5-friendly nano-SIMs for those with unlocked devices | The Verge

Quote:
We reported a few weeks ago that T-Mobile had no intention of letting the iPhone 5's smaller nano-SIM card interfere with its newly-bolstered plans to woo unlocked iPhone owners over to its network, and now we've received confirmation that the carrier's stores have begun receiving stock of the new SIM cards. Several T-Mobile stores in New York City informed us that the diminutive SIM cards were delivered today, but if you're interested in moving your iPhone 5 to T-Mobile you would do best to call your local store first: a couple of locations told us that it would take a day to add the cards to their inventory. Stock also appears to be limited at this point — one store employee said they had ten nano-SIMs available.

T-Mobile's least expensive unlimited data, talk, and text plan for unlocked phones comes in at $69.99 per month, but before you decide to make the switch there are sticking points to take note of. Since the vast majority of T-Mobile's HSPA+ ("4G") network runs on the AWS band — a band which no iPhones support — you'll be stuck at far slower 2G speeds in most of the country. The carrier has begun offering iPhone-friendly 1900MHz HSPA+ service in parts of Seattle, Las Vegas, and the New York metro area, which are the only spots where you'll get faster service. Additionally, you'll need an unlocked device like Verizon's iPhone 5 for service to even function — Apple has yet to sell the latest iPhone unlocked without a contract in the US, and AT&T iPhones ship locked to the carrier.