U.S. official says pre-infected computer tech entering country - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » U.S. official says pre-infected computer tech entering country

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Clearly Mad

Fraternizes with Brits

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Aug. 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Mad Mouse
U.S. official says pre-infected computer tech entering country

Technolog from msnbc.com - U.S. official says pre-infected computer tech entering country

Quote:
Confirming years of warnings from government and private security experts, a top Homeland Security official has acknowledged that computer hardware and software is already being imported to the United States preloaded with spyware and security-sabotaging components.
The remarks by Greg Schaffer, the Department of Homeland Security's acting deputy undersecretary for national protection and programs, came Thursday during a tense exchange at a hearing of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. The panel is considering an Obama administration proposal to tighten monitoring and controls on computer equipment imported for critical government and communications infrastructure.
Schaffer didn't say whether the equipment he was talking about included end-user consumer tech like retail laptops, DVDs and media players. If so, his comments, first reported Friday morning by Fast Company, would be the first time the United States has publicly confirmed that foreign consumer technology is arriving in the country already loaded with nasty bugs like key-logging software, botnet components and even software designed to defeat security programs installed on the same machine.
DHS did not respond to requests to clarify Schaffer's remarks.

"Sometimes, in madness resides genius"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
This has to be some of the stupidest e-peen dick wagging I have ever seen.
My Sadly Neglected Flickr
Mad Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

My opinion is simple. They need to check everything. The penalties for this should cause significant harm to the offending government and it's country.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 07-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
Client: Firestorm
Interesting! I wonder what that impacts that may have on the wholesale importing of prefab electronics from places like China.

Last edited by Paola Delpaso; 07-11-2011 at 04:37 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Paola Delpaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Spooky Talking Toaster

Spooky eating toast . . . yum yum yum human hand.

SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm
Don't buy those cheap USB "picture frames."

Those are a major culprit, ahtough anything with firmware (DVD/CD burners, motherboards, hard drives, video cards, and about anything else you put in a computer) can be infected. Not to mention phones, MP3 players, etc.

The fun bit -- this is stuff that your virus scan can't do anything about -- it can't scan firmware in attached devices.

SL easily allows you to accidentally your entire pants. -- Adeon Writer

Let me avow you one object that you meliorate pound into your skull pearl: Metric Release PILLS ARE Bastard! -- Some Spammer
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

There are some malware systems that cannot even be removed with Microsoft's standalone system sweeper.

https://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper
Microsoft’s New Tool Goes After Viruses Buried Deep in the OS | Dice Blog Network

The systems this new tool cannot remove can only be removed by formatting and reinstalling the OS.

So windows users should get used to monthly reformats and reinstalls of everything.
Ann Otoole is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: