January 27th is almost upon us :) - Page 8 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » January 27th is almost upon us :)

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #176 (permalink)
she, not he!

*SLU Supporter*

addicted to catnip

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/21/2006
As for the iPad thou, not interested, outside of seeing what everyone else will come out with now to counter it. A touch netbook would be cool.

Sorry to say I never bought an iTouch or iPod either. But the iPod was the driving force behind my little $99 Creative Zen that can also use SDHC cards for an endless supply of movies and music.
Jesse Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #177 (permalink)
Musical Alchemist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 5, 2004
Business: Musical Alchemy
Apple's iPad to be released April 3

Looks like the release date is set.

Apple's iPad to be released April 3 - CNN.com

Quote:
(CNN) -- Apple's eagerly anticipated iPad will be available in the United States on April 3, the company said Friday. Wi-Fi models of the tablet-style computer will go on sale that Saturday, while ones with Wi-Fi and 3G networks will be released later in the month. Customers can start pre-ordering the iPad on Apple's online store on March 12.
Persephone Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #178 (permalink)
Grid.Living

I kicked your dog. TO THE MOON.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/21/2003
Business: Grid.Living

Awards: 1
Thread Title of the Week 
Send a message via MSN to Lordfly Digeridoo Send a message via Skype™ to Lordfly Digeridoo
I want this instead.

Microsoft Courier coming 2H 2010: Tegra 2 based digital journal [Update: Video] - SlashGear
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #179 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

Moderate (previously Mature)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 18, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordfly Digeridoo View Post
Finally a device catering to the under-served "trend researcher" community.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #180 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Let's see. You start with the two most easily broken parts of a laptop... the hinge and the screen... and you give this gadget TWO of each. Then you get people to hold it like a book (have you ever broken the back of a book, reading it? I know I have).

What's wrong with this picture?

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #181 (permalink)
Pluviophile

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Business: CMFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Finally a device catering to the under-served "trend researcher" community.
Yeah, that looks ridiculous. I mean it doesn't even exactly replicate the functionality and apps of a device I probably already have, only bigger! What were they thinking? A tablet designed specifically as a productivity tool, organizer, and sketch pad for artists and designers that's also a web browser, who would want that? Oh wait... ME! If it can be expanded with 3rd party apps and the paint tools are good, sold!
Chip Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #182 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Midnight View Post
Yeah, that looks ridiculous. I mean it doesn't even exactly replicate the functionality and apps of a device I probably already have, only bigger!
The latest rumors say Courier, if it's ever released, will run the Zune HD OS. So if the iPad is "just an oversized iPod touch," does that make Courier just two Zunes taped together?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #183 (permalink)
Pluviophile

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Quote:
The latest rumors say Courier, if it's ever released, will run the Zune HD OS. So if the iPad is "just an oversized iPod touch," does that make Courier just two Zunes taped together?
Since it has an application suite written specifically for it with a very well defined purpose in mind that's not served by the Zune, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, or WinMo7, I'd say no. Stylus input is a huge deal and the iPad really missed the boat in that regard. Even if the iPad had a comparable app suite from the start, lack of stylus input is a deal breaker.

Apple really failed in defining what the iPad is for aside from an ebook reader that's also a big iPod Touch. I think most people are left looking at it thinking, yeah, it's cool, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for, especially if they already have an iPhone. The Courier, on the other hand, is much more fleshed out and purpose built. Have to wait and see how the actual hardware compares to the videos but so far the only drawback I see from the standpoint of what I'd want to use a tablet for is it's smaller than I'd like.

Now if someone comes out with something similar that runs Win7 or OSX that would be even better, but this is something I can see myself getting a lot of use out of.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #184 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
If the Microsoft Courier uses the same OS as the new Windows Mobile 7 you should be able to do what they did below:

Microsoft shows off single game running on Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox -- Engadget
Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #185 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Apple really failed in defining what the iPad is for aside from an ebook reader that's also a big iPod Touch. I think most people are left looking at it thinking, yeah, it's cool, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for, especially if they already have an iPhone. The Courier, on the other hand, is much more fleshed out and purpose built. Have to wait and see how the actual hardware compares to the videos but so far the only drawback I see from the standpoint of what I'd want to use a tablet for is it's smaller than I'd like.
What's to define? The iPad is a touchscreen computing appliance...what do you think a 10" touchscreen might be good for? It doesn't need a specific purpose. Apps will give it hundreds of purposes. That's the strength of Apple's platform.

Apple has already given us a starter definition for the device: you can consume media with it as an e-reader, video viewer and web browser. However, it's also going to be a pretty nice game machine. The music composition tools, based on what already exists for the iPhone, are anticipated to be weird, deep and fantastic. There are many cool art creation apps on the iPhone that are going to blossom with more screen real estate. How about a controller for a stage lighting rig? Or an animation creator? These are just a few examples of uniquely multitouch apps that already exist on the iPhone which developers are going to improve and expand upon for the iPad.

Want a "journal" or a "designer's scrapbook?" You don't need a pen input or a big black divider splitting your screen in two (that hinge will be nice for watching videos, btw), you just need an app for that.

People who don't know what to do with the iPad will figure it out soon enough. Inevitably, YouTube videos are going to start appearing showing off all the interesting and creative things people are doing with their iPads. It's sort of like SL; some people get it right away, some people need to be shown the possibilities.

As far as pen input goes, it addresses such a small segment of the potential tablet-buying demographic that it just wasn't worth sacrificing the simplicity of the iPad to appeal to a very narrow subset of consumers.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #187 (permalink)
Pluviophile

Meshing Around

My Mood:
No stylus, no deal. For something as big as the iPad I'd rather have a netbook or a proper tablet PC. For a portable device that can serve as a PDA, organizer, sketch pad, web device, reader, etc, the Courier looks more useful, and portable. YMMV.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #188 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Related:
iPad ad reveals book pricing and NYT button

Last edited by Pol; 03-08-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #189 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
It's deja vu all over again:
iPad Death Watch : AAPLinvestors
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #190 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Newton Reborn? Nonsense. The Newton wasn't a walled garden.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #191 (permalink)

My Mood:

Gaming Guru 
Quote:
No stylus, no deal. For something as big as the iPad I'd rather have a netbook or a proper tablet PC. For a portable device that can serve as a PDA, organizer, sketch pad, web device, reader, etc, the Courier looks more useful, and portable. YMMV.
Sausage stylus for the iPhone now on sale in the US -- Engadget

It's only $0.99
Edav Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #192 (permalink)
Pluviophile

Meshing Around

My Mood:
Yeah, that would be handy for using a touchscreen outside in the winter with gloves on, but not for drawing.
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #193 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Verizon briefs staff on iPad, stirs anti-AT&T talk | Electronista

Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #194 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
The last project I was working on in SL before I gave up will probably be reborn as an iPhone app as soon as Adobe releases Flash CS5. My potential market will be two orders of magnitude larger, and the thing will just work better, be easier to create, and be portable.

I've got plans for iPad, too. For working in my lap in a crowded environment I'd much rather have a flat device than a hinged device. For showing things to clients in a non-office environment (in my hand rather than at a desk): total win.

*want*
Anya Ristow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #195 (permalink)
Pol
pessimism enthusiast

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post
I've got plans for iPad, too. For working in my lap in a crowded environment I'd much rather have a flat device than a hinged device. For showing things to clients in a non-office environment (in my hand rather than at a desk): total win.

*want*
Do you know which iPad model you're going to get? Are you going to spring for 3G?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #196 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post
The last project I was working on in SL before I gave up will probably be reborn as an iPhone app as soon as Adobe releases Flash CS5. My potential market will be two orders of magnitude larger, and the thing will just work better, be easier to create, and be portable.

*want*
If you are looking into iPhone development, also checkout Titanium by appcelerator. It is a development framework that lets you develop for the iPhone (and now the iPad) using HTML and Javascript, and it compiles it into native code - including native controls. It also lets you develop for Android, as well as creating Mac, Windows and Linux applications. I have been far more productive with it than using Obective C directly, which I hate with a passion.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #197 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
Quote:
Do you know which iPad model you're going to get? Are you going to spring for 3G?
No clue. By the time (1) Flash CS5 is released and (2) I finish my first app on an iPod Touch I'm hoping the 2nd gen iPad with camera will be out. And I hope there's another choice for 3G provider because I want very much to have nothing to do with AT&T.
Anya Ristow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #198 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I like Objective C conceptually, because I like Smalltalk, but I don't think C is really a good foundation for an OO language.

I wonder if Apple would object to using FScript in an iThing app if you didn't expose the FScript interpreter to the end-user?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #199 (permalink)

Wondering...

My Mood:
First I've seen of the Courier - the iPad is very pretty, I've studied the vids of both - on balance I pronounce the winner is...

Courier!

Microsoft... the NEW Apple

* Thread Closed *
Cat Fratica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #200 (permalink)
worried

homesick

My Mood:
This ad is already facing criticism for faking the iPad's capabilities - sounds like they are going to be in the same trouble they were in when they released iPhone ads that were also faked.

Breaking : Apple iPad Advert Kind Of Fake? - ITProPortal.com

My Sims Exchange - http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/Mukatsuku
My Photography/Graphics Design - http://www.zedpeejay.com
Meet-me wiki - http://meetme-english.wetpaint.com

Mukatsuku is offline   Reply With Quote