Octopoda, space aliens? Or:Octopuses came to Earth from space as frozen eggs - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » Octopoda, space aliens? Or:Octopuses came to Earth from space as frozen eggs

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

whatever

Octopoda, space aliens? Or:Octopuses came to Earth from space as frozen eggs

Science news: Octopuses came to Earth from space as frozen eggs millions of years ago

So, where in the scheme of things is the Daily/Sunday Express seen, respect-wise. Hadn't heard of it before, I don't think.

The tabloid like article in, what I've looked up to find is a tabloid, is based on a paper put out through Science Direct, another thing I'm not sure of it's respect level (though I'd heard of it before, just never examined it).

Cause of Cambrian Explosion - Terrestrial or Cosmic?

Quote:
Evidence of the role of extraterrestrial viruses in affecting terrestrial evolution has recently been plausibly implied in the gene and transcriptome sequencing of Cephalopods.
Quote:
Its large brain and sophisticated nervous system, camera-like eyes, flexible bodies, instantaneous camouflage via the ability to switch colour and shape are just a few of the striking features that appear suddenly on the evolutionary scene.
Quote:
One plausible explanation [for why octopus evolved so quickly], in our view, is that the new genes are likely new extraterrestrial imports to Earth - most plausibly as an already coherent group of functioning genes within (say) cryopreserved and matrix protected fertilized Octopus eggs.
Quote:
Thus the possibility that cryopreserved Squid and/or Octopus eggs, arrived in icy bolides several hundred million years ago should not be discounted (below) as that would be a parsimonious cosmic explanation for the Octopus' sudden emergence on Earth ca. 270 million years ago. Indeed this principle applies to the sudden appearance in the fossil record of pretty well all major life forms, covered in the prescient concept of “punctuated equilibrium” by Eldridge and Gould advanced in the early 1970s (1972, 1977)
Quote:
In a final reckoning it would have to be admitted that ultimately all of evolution has been controlled and continues to be controlled by space-borne organisms, microbes and viruses.
Lexxi Gynoid is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-14-2018, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Something something Cthulhu.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Reeling...

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxi Gynoid View Post
The tabloid like article in, what I've looked up to find is a tabloid...
To be fair, the trend has been to the tabloid format in the UK such that ALL papers, except the Daily Telegraph, are now tabloid. The Times brought respectability (?) to the format some years ago by switching to this much more practical and manageable size - the Guardian chose an in-between size to avoid having the pejorative name 'tabloid' but have since relented and gone all the way.

Having said that - the Daily Express may at one time have been at the lower end of the 'respectable' news media it is now almost as much of a 'rag' as the (turns and spits) Daily Mail.

Last edited by Cat Fratica; 05-15-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Cat Fratica is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
It's woo.

The octopi are fairly well placed in the record. They're no more alien than we are.

Also punctuated equilibrium does not require anything of the sort. When cars first appeared on the country's roads there were many different plans and power sources used in them. By the time the 20s rolled around there were three main power sources left and one main bodyplan. That hasn't really changed much since.

When something is new you see more change as it adapts. Later on there's too much invested in a given structure and you see less change at that level.

Last edited by Gabriell Anatra; 05-15-2018 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added rambling blather. :-p
Gabriell Anatra is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Status symbol

Business: OPQ
It's true, it's true!

They said the reason there is so little cephalopod fossil material is that they're made almost completely from soft tissue but that's way too obvious an explanation so it must be wrong!
ChinRey is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
A scathingly sarcastic write-up here:
Bizarre New Study Suggests Octopuses Came From Outer Space | IFLScience

From the original paper, convincing proof of the Aliens theory:

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-17-2018, 04:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

taking a break from reality

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
Quote:
The paper includes a whopping 33 researchers (although notably zero zoologists) including a chap called Chandra Wickramasinghe.
Ah Ha!

So not at all surprised. Pity when a scientist goes off the rails.
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

angelic

My Mood:
Business: Bliensen + MaiTai
Client: Firestorm
You don't have to make stuff up about octopuses, they are fascinating enough - this documentary is worth every minute (and the 'alien' in the title is just a conincidence)
Plurabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:

Tags
aliens , aliens among us , evolution , science