Oculus Launches Go VR Headset - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » Oculus Launches Go VR Headset

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Oculus Launches Go VR Headset

This has the potential to be a game changer for VR. Excellent price ($199), comparability with the existing Gear VR library, completely wireless, and improved controls.

$199 Oculus Go VR headset goes on sale today

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
You're right, it is interesting - but I think there's something about VR that (at least for myself) I've noticed that there's a bit of a lack of effective communication about, and that is the difference between phone-VR and PC-VR.

You also have console VR, but obviously everybody knows that you'll only ever be able to play Playstation games on a Playstation VR. But there is also a significant content disparity between what you'll be able to play and do on a phone-VR system versus on a PC. This new gadget is self-contained (you don't need to hook a phone to it), but it is very much phone-VR insofar as aside from the ability to load videos onto it from your computer, you're otherwise in a walled-garden OS that has a select set of apps and phone-style games on it. That explains why the presenters described its main function as media-consumption rather than games - it's really designed so you can put the headset on, open say the Netflix app, and watch Netflix on an apparently huge screen which would of course be a much better experience than watching on your phone.

But...games are a big part of my interest in VR. And I don't mean games like Candy Crush. Sigh, I guess I'll have to keep waiting until I can afford a decent "real" VR headset.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
Engadget has an excellent review of it:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/01/oculus-go-review/
Old 05-02-2018, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
I can't stress this enough.

A VR headset without positional tracking is the worst idea ever.

I would strongly encourage people to absolutely never buy this headset, and I would feel sorry for anyone who uses this headset as their first impression of modern VR.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 05-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
Oculus Go review: The wireless-VR future begins today for only $199
Old 05-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

This second review is much more informative, thanks Cristiano. It contains a couple of passages that seem to explain your comment, Adeon?
Quote:
Also, much like phone-driven VR headsets, Oculus Go only recognizes three degrees of freedom (3DOF). This means you can expect realistic VR effects when you rotate or tilt your head. As soon as you lean in any direction, however, the effect is broken. Go does not offer positional tracking while seated, and it certainly doesn't work if you get up and walk. The Samsung GearVR operates with the same limitation, and as a result, Oculus Go's app selection is pretty much identical to that of GearVR's.
The reviewer spent quite a bit of time playing one of his favorite fly-and-shoot games, Anshar.
Quote:
The catch in Anshar's case is that you can't use your gamepad for more intensive maneuvers, particularly turning around. If you want to fly in the opposite direction, you have to turn your head 180 degrees. Neither Oculus' store nor the game itself informs players that they should find a spinny chair or sit on a spacious couch. Let's not forget, after all, that Oculus Go limits recognized motion to 3DOF, which means any stand-and-spin maneuvers could trigger motion sickness when the VR world doesn't line up with your real-life motions.
One conclusion this reviewer comes to is that the limitations of its controller make it ill-suited to avatar games where your character moves through space.
Quote:
Should you wish to guide an on-screen avatar or hero, for example, you can't expect to hold the touchpad in a certain direction as if it were a joystick...In another mini-game, players must aim a laser at a playfield, allowing you to move around a little robot avatar who follows your laser. This is frustratingly imprecise, especially because the Go pointer only offers relative motion tracking, not absolute. You can rotate and twist it, but moving the thing side to side or forward and back won't register.
All that said, the reviewer felt that if you stay within the apps that are well-suited to the GO, you can have a lot of fun with it. As I think the first review pointed out, it's cheap enough that you can use it to sit around a VR room with friends who also have it and watch 3D Netflix together, lol.

The next Oculus release, Santa Cruz, sounds like it will be a high-end device.

Last edited by Nika Talaj; 05-02-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Good god, misspelled Cristiano! *runs*
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Killer

3DoF makes me ill within mere seconds (Rift does this when the positional tracker loses you)

6 DoF makes or breaks non-barf VR for me.

Standing perfectly still does not help me, in fact, not noticing *tiny* shifts in parallax is somehow even more headache inducing.

It's like instant. Feels like head pressure and I break into a sweat combined with feeling of impending throw up. (never actually has happened because i immedately close my eyes and take the headset off)

if I have 6 dof in a game with no artifical motion, i can stay in for hours and feel fine

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 05-02-2018 at 12:06 PM.
1 User Hugged You:
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-02-2018, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
The catch in Anshar's case is that you can't use your gamepad for more intensive maneuvers, particularly turning around. If you want to fly in the opposite direction, you have to turn your head 180 degrees. Neither Oculus' store nor the game itself informs players that they should find a spinny chair or sit on a spacious couch.
AHA! Finally, an excuse to spin around in my computer chair like a little kid.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-02-2018, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
3DoF makes me ill within mere seconds (Rift does this when the positional tracker loses you)

6 DoF makes or breaks non-barf VR for me.

Standing perfectly still does not help me, in fact, not noticing *tiny* shifts in parallax is somehow even more headache inducing.

It's like instant. Feels like head pressure and I break into a sweat combined with feeling of impending throw up. (never actually has happened because i immedately close my eyes and take the headset off)

if I have 6 dof in a game with no artifical motion, i can stay in for hours and feel fine
That's right, I remember you said you especially sensitive to visual incongruity like that. I think you mentioned a while ago that watching 3D movies with glasses also gives you headaches or nausea after a while?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
That's right, I remember you said you especially sensitive to visual incongruity like that. I think you mentioned a while ago that watching 3D movies with glasses also gives you headaches or nausea after a while?
I don't get sick from movies with 3D glasses; what I probably said is they just don't work for me. Thing's don't pop out. At the very most I can see a few shallow layers of flat cutouts that are barely varying in depth. A shot of the ocean would barely "go back" more than 2 feet, like depth has been squished to be like a stone engraving. Same with the Nintendo 3DS. Maybe something is wrong with my eyes.

Rift was was the first time anything I saw was actually in 3D like the real world. Before that I just assumed 3D never works for me. I think I must focus on context clues and parallax motion to understand depth more than I depend on sterioscopic vision. No idea why.

Last edited by Adeon Writer; 05-02-2018 at 05:17 PM.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Thanks, Adeon. It's the reports of nausea -- especially from women who use VR (there's a biological reason for that, btw) -- that make me hesitate to buy a VR headset set without trying it first. My first impulse was to shout "Sold!" at the price of the Oculus GO, but no, only if I can confirm it won't make me sick.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Apropo of nothing, I have been wondering if there is a correlation between people who don't have the stomach for carnival rides (which I do not) and people who find current VR technology upsetting.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

If Lumiya worked on this I would get it today.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
I'm Catman...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/15/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
AHA! Finally, an excuse to spin around in my computer chair like a little kid.

"Dude, what game are you playing?"

You: "Asteroids!"
Markubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Random Chat Bot

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 19, 2007
Business: SunBunny Creative
Client: Lite-Brite
It took me many sessions before I stopped getting sick from it. I think for some, you have to acclimate yourself and many people give up thinking they will always be sick.

The Lenovo Mirage or upcoming Oculus Santa Cruz, which both have the positional tracking Adeon is talking about, are much better options. However, if all you want to do is watch movies, the Go is adequate. Hardly a game changer though. You can get an Android smartphone for under $100 and a headset for $50 these days. Yes, I know the resolution on this is a little higher but the the CPU is an older gen.

I think if you want to get your feet wet, skip the Go, buy a Daydream for $50 (or Google cardboard), see if you like it, if you do, then get the Santa Cruz when it comes out. You'll be glad you didn't spend $199 either way.
Summer Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Baby Baroness

*SLU Supporter*

OMG ICONS

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2005.10.28
Client: 1.23
Send a message via Yahoo to Wildefire Walcott
Reviving this thread to report that we got a Go last week and it's great. Plus it's expanded my opinion of what VR is good for.

We've had a Rift for a couple of years, and it's very cool- but we mostly used it for games- but with all the cameras and controllers and calibration required to get it working right, we really don't use the Rift very often; it's a production to get everything going.

But the Go? You just fucking put it on and you're in VR. You can use it in bed. You can use it on the toilet. It's got Netflix, Hulu, and Plex, and a perfectly usable web browser. It's got several VR chat-style apps (but not the actual "VR chat")... but my favorite thing to do on it so far? (Something I could have done on the Rift but never "got" until now?) I can get on BigScreen and sit in a virtual movie theater and hang out with people watching shows and movies together, and riff on stuff. It was so cool to be watching funny stuff on BigScreen and laughing together with other players from around the world in real time.

You could do this sort of thing in SL for years... but the immersion of VR and the ease of use of the Go finally made it click for me. This thing rules.

Desperation Isle Productions: Scripted skyboxes for lots (and budgets) of all sizes!
Wildefire Walcott is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: