A new Moon formation theory - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » A new Moon formation theory


Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

 
Sponsor:
charity: water
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*
 
Free Xue's Avatar
I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 54,753
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008
Blog Entries: 12

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
A new Moon formation theory

The moon may have formed inside the early Earth
Quote:
A new study published today in the Journal of Geophysical Research: Planets posits that the moon may have actually formed inside the Earth, before our planet had fully taken shape.

This new theory is based on a new planetary object called a synestia. These are produced when two planet-sized bodies crash into one another, resulting in a quickly spinning formation of rock. The release describes it as, "a giant donut of vaporized rock." Synestias only last a century or two before they condense into a planet.

"Our model starts with a collision that forms a synestia," Simon Lock, a graduate student at Harvard and coauthor of the article, said in a release. Once this occurred, the moon could have formed in a number of ways. The synestia may have ejected molten rock into its orbit, which began to form the moon. As the synestia shrank, the moon accumulated more matter. "The Moon forms inside the vaporized Earth at temperatures of four to six thousand degrees Fahrenheit and pressures of tens of atmospheres," Lock said.
The Moon is sort of a doughnut hole... More technical article here: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astro...eate-the-moon/
__________________
Mass starvation of virtual bunnies due to a cease and desist order. Now THAT is Second Life!
la lucha sigue...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
Old 03-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wanda Belinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,421
Does this mean there is green cheese in the middle of the earth?
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*
 
Free Xue's Avatar
I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 54,753
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008
Blog Entries: 12

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Does this mean there is green cheese in the middle of the earth?
No, but it does bring up a question about remedial education concerns.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 03-03-2018, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian
 
Veritable Quandry's Avatar
Quo.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Caledon
Posts: 7,013
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda Belinda View Post
Does this mean there is green cheese in the middle of the earth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
No, but it does bring up a question about remedial education concerns.
Exactly. If it formed as a donut the center is either custard or jelly. What kind of donuts do they serve in schools these days?
__________________
Winner of the First Annual Leslie Nielsen Memorial "Best Catch" Trophy.

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-04-2018, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science
 
Caete's Avatar
Look me in the eye...
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 20 Minutes into the future
Posts: 4,766
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Awards: 1
Super Science Award 


My theory: A wizard did it.
__________________
http://teamchevalier.wordpress.com/
Quote:
nemisis116: Seriously though this game does creep me out, adventuring the abandoned areas is like Fallout if everybody on earth was a deviantart member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Purple
 
Chalice Yao's Avatar
Adoring goats.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere purple, Germany
Posts: 9,067
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
How silly.

..

How can a moon form inside a flat earth??
#SorryNotSorry
__________________
"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" - George Carlin
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-04-2018, 05:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wesleytron's Avatar
Rusty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 431
My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
Exactly. If it formed as a donut the center is either custard or jelly.
Ah.. so what you're saying is that the moon might be one big custard mooncake?

wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Is the dealer
 
Randy Smadga's Avatar
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 3,180
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/26/2006
Client: Singularity

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy Smadga
I think as they study this they'll learn that this is how Wesen and Grimms got their powers.
__________________
This is a cash and carry world. Pay as you go. Sometimes, you only have to pay a little, mostly it's a lot. Once in awhile, it's all you have. -- SOTC 1999.
Randy Smadga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science
 
Caete's Avatar
Look me in the eye...
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 20 Minutes into the future
Posts: 4,766
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Awards: 1
Super Science Award 
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
crazy's Avatar
loading...
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: England
Posts: 2,693
My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytron View Post
Ah.. so what you're saying is that the moon might be one big custard mooncake?

I have never heard of these before and suddenly I want one.
__________________


(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 03-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoidyn Kytori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pacific NW, USA
Posts: 265
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/16/2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
How silly.

..

How can a moon form inside a flat earth??
#SorryNotSorry


Zoidyn Kytori is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Ashiri's Avatar
Foxed
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jessie
Posts: 2,232
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
So the only real difference from the standard model is that all the material went into the doughnut.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wesleytron's Avatar
Rusty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 431
My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidyn Kytori View Post


Since 1917? Wow! Really? You're seriously suggesting the Earth and the Moon was formed a little more than just over 100 years ago?! That's a nutjob crazy idea!

Well anyway you're wrong. Not a Moon Pie. Because no custard.

Science wins!
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian
 
Veritable Quandry's Avatar
Quo.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Caledon
Posts: 7,013
My Mood:
MoonCAKES have custard. MoonPIES have marshmallow.

DUDE, DO YOU EVEN PHYSICS?
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said WTF?:
3 Users Laughed:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wesleytron's Avatar
Rusty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 431
My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
MoonCAKES have custard. MoonPIES have marshmallow.

DUDE, DO YOU EVEN PHYSICS?
Sheesh. Yes I know! That's what I was saying. The moon is NOT a Moon Pie because NO CUSTARD! I said that!

You agree with me, not disagree with me.

Last edited by wesleytron; 03-05-2018 at 01:43 PM.
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian
 
Veritable Quandry's Avatar
Quo.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Caledon
Posts: 7,013
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytron View Post
Well anyway you're wrong. Not a Moon Pie. Because no custard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
MoonCAKES have custard. MoonPIES have marshmallow.

DUDE, DO YOU EVEN PHYSICS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytron View Post
Yes I know. That's what I was saying.

You agree with me, not disagree with me.
I vehemently disagree with you.
Mooncakes have custard but NOT marshmallow.
Moonpies have marshmallow but NOT custard.
Moonpies DO NOT have custard, so the lack of custard does not disprove Moonpies. If it HAD custard, than it would not be a Moonpie. No custard is an inherent quality of Moonpies.

eta: Science has not yet determined the filling of the moon. It is clear that we need to send Bruce Willis and his crack team of drillers to the moon to settle this question.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wesleytron's Avatar
Rusty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 431
My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
I vehemently disagree with you.
No you don't. You just didn't understand what I said

Quote:
Mooncakes have custard but NOT marshmallow.
I know. Which is why I wondered if the moon was a big mooncake. Because it has custard. Like the moon does.

Quote:
Moonpies have marshmallow but NOT custard.
Right.. I know that. Which is why I said a Moonpie can't be the moon, because of it's lack of custard. "Not Moon Pie. Because no custard." That's what I said. And the moon is made of custard right? I mean, that's what you said yeah?

Quote:
Moonpies DO NOT have custard, so the lack of custard does not disprove Moonpies. If it HAD custard, than it would not be a Moonpie. No custard is an inherent quality of Moonpies.
Who's trying to disprove Moonpies?! I'm not. I know they exist and I am well aware of their lack of custardyness (yes that's a word!). Which is why I said the moon is not a Moonpie. Because no custard.
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian
 
Veritable Quandry's Avatar
Quo.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Caledon
Posts: 7,013
My Mood:
Say it in complete sentences. "Not a Moonpie. Because no custard." posted under a photograph of a box of Moonpies leads the reader to assume that you are referring to the image directly above your comment.

eta: Even taken at face value, your statement still assumes that the center of the moon is custard, which is one possible implication of the Donut Hypothesis (it could be jelly). It is still necessary to test this hypothesis. If we drill through the moon and discover a marshmallow disc, that would disprove the Donut Hypothesis and confirm the Flat Moon model. Science requires observation to confirm or disprove hypothetical models.

Last edited by Veritable Quandry; 03-05-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wesleytron's Avatar
Rusty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 431
My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Hmm... Actually, I'm thinking I might get where you misunderstand me.

When I say "Not Moonpie. Because no custard," (a perfectly self-explanatory statement I thought, but obviously not) what I'm in effect saying is that the moon cannot be a moonpie because a moonpie has no custard.

But I can see now how it might be interpreted as I was saying that the moon has no custard. Which isn't what I was saying. I was saying it has. So can't be moonpie. Because no custard. Make sense now yeah?

Last edited by wesleytron; 03-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian
 
Veritable Quandry's Avatar
Quo.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Caledon
Posts: 7,013
My Mood:
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
wesleytron's Avatar
Rusty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 431
My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
posted under a photograph of a box of Moonpies leads the reader to assume that you are referring to the image directly above your comment.
Hey! I didn't post the picture of a box of Moonpies. I quoted the picture of the box of Moonpies from another person so that I could say to them that they were wrong about the moon being a moonpie, because 'no custard' in a moonpie! And the moon has custard in it. Well... I thought it did, until...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
eta: Science has not yet determined the filling of the moon.
So... are you suggesting now that it's possible the filling of the moon might not be custard?

It's going to turn out not to be custard isn't it?

Please don't let it turn out to be marshmallow...
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Dakota Tebaldi's Avatar
Lurkin' and stuff
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Down by the bay, where the watermelons grow...
Posts: 16,105

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiri View Post
So the only real difference from the standard model is that all the material went into the doughnut.
That's what I'm thinking. Right now the impactor hypothesis has some other body colliding with Earth, with a huge amount of ejecta settling into a debris ring in Earth orbit and eventually accreting together to form the Moon.

This hypothesis still has the impactor, but it just turned the whole shebang into a disk of loose matter, and the Moon accreted inside this disk. Okay, but...when did the Earth re-accrete during this time? If the disk over time collapsed and condensed back into a new planet in the middle of the "donut" which became the Earth, why wasn't the Moon just pulled into the middle along with all the rest of the matter? The Earth is far more massive than the Moon, so I'm a little confused about why the Moon was somehow able to form separately inside all this matter and remain separate when the rest of it was coalescing back into a new Earth.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno
Cody, you are unusual.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DanielRavenNest's Avatar
Building Better Worlds since 1979
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In UR Internetz
Posts: 8,934
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiri View Post
So the only real difference from the standard model is that all the material went into the doughnut.
Here is the first part of the actual paper's abstract:

Quote:
The giant impact hypothesis remains the leading theory for lunar origin. However, current models struggle to explain the Moon's composition and isotopic similarity with Earth. Here we present a new lunar origin model. High-energy, high-angular momentum giant impacts can create a post-impact structure that exceeds the corotation limit (CoRoL), which defines the hottest thermal state and angular momentum possible for a corotating body. In a typical super-CoRoL body, traditional denitions of mantle, atmosphere and disk are not appropriate, and the body forms a new type of planetary structure, named a synestia.
They then go on to describe the simulations they did that showed how such impacts would evolve to form the Earth and Moon. Basically, you have to hit the proto-Earth hard enough to vaporize it, and off-center enough that the spin prevents it from just falling back together from gravity into one lump. Moonlets form by condensation in the hot vapor, and later the central part cools down enough to contract and solidify.

A spinning blob of vaporized rock is *weird* compared to past models of planetary formation. But it solves the problem of why the Moon is so similar chemically to the Earth. A blob of vapor would be *very* well mixed, so all the objects that formed from it would end up the same materials.

Quote:
why wasn't the Moon just pulled into the middle along with all the rest of the matter?
Conservation of angular momentum. There was a certain amount at the time of the impact, and it is still here, because there are no outside forces strong enough to change the total spin. What has happened since the impact is that tidal forces have slowed the Earth's rotation, while at the same time the Moon retreated away, which it is still slowly doing. Moonlets were not big enough, and distributed around, so they didn't create large tides. Once a large Moon formed, it created strong tides, and started moving away. The early Earth would have been very elliptical (flattened like Jupiter, but more so) because it started out spinning almost fast enough to fly apart.

Last edited by DanielRavenNest; 03-05-2018 at 07:29 PM.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 03-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon
 
Myf's Avatar
Pop!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Syd, Aust.
Posts: 4,015
My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
MoonCAKES have custard. MoonPIES have marshmallow.

DUDE, DO YOU EVEN PHYSICS?
What kind of heretical bollocks is this?

Mooncakes are filled with red bean paste, not zogging custard.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian
 
Veritable Quandry's Avatar
Quo.
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Caledon
Posts: 7,013
My Mood:
Apologies. I was operating on the content of earlier posts. I have never had a Mooncake but I am intimately familiar with Moonpies.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




SEO by vBSEO