A new Moon formation theory - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » A new Moon formation theory

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 11:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I suddenly want cake, but I'm afraid it'll attack me over a misunderstanding and turn me into an accretion disk.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

Pop!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Awards: 2
Apology accepted. If you're speaking from a place of unfamiliarity and not one of these ghoddamned heathens who think they can put anything they like inside a mooncake, then it's all good.

(All kidding aside, I've seen all sorts of fillings in mooncake, even custard. Red bean past though is traditional).
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-06-2018, 01:57 AM   #28 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Awards: 1
Quote:
The giant impact hypothesis remains the leading theory for lunar origin. However, current models struggle to explain the Moon's composition and isotopic similarity with Earth.
That statement doesn't ring true to me. My understanding is the giant impact hypothesis explains the Moons compositional similarity to the Earth perfectly well, because it says the Moon is literally made out of material ejected from the Earth.
Dakota Tebaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-06-2018, 03:41 AM   #29 (permalink)

Foxed

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Once upon a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
Here is the first part of the actual paper's abstract:

They then go on to describe the simulations they did that showed how such impacts would evolve to form the Earth and Moon. Basically, you have to hit the proto-Earth hard enough to vaporize it, and off-center enough that the spin prevents it from just falling back together from gravity into one lump. Moonlets form by condensation in the hot vapor, and later the central part cools down enough to contract and solidify.

A spinning blob of vaporized rock is *weird* compared to past models of planetary formation. But it solves the problem of why the Moon is so similar chemically to the Earth. A blob of vapor would be *very* well mixed, so all the objects that formed from it would end up the same materials.
Now that I reread it, I see the "doughnut" was of vapourised rock but there could have still been an iron "core" remaining
Originally Posted by Kamilah Hauptmann Well it started with some lolwut and some straight dope, but then someone used Snarcasm and it was Super Effective and then SLU was an evil hivemind culminating in attempted suicide by mod, now we're in the post mortem unless bro comes back for the sequel.

Last edited by Ashiri; 03-06-2018 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Reread the release and saw the doughnut was a red herring so to speak
Ashiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
I suddenly want cake, but I'm afraid it'll attack me over a misunderstanding and turn me into an accretion disk.
Have a moonpie instead. I have a roadtrip tomorrow and I now have an intense craving for moonpies for the drive. CURSE YOU AND YOUR DELICIOUS CONSPIRACIES, SLU!

Et cum patronus tuus uerbo oportet causidicum, vos postulo causidicum.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #31 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
That statement doesn't ring true to me. My understanding is the giant impact hypothesis explains the Moons compositional similarity to the Earth perfectly well, because it says the Moon is literally made out of material ejected from the Earth.
But that still leaves the remains of the other body in the Earth. In the new theory all of the material is mixed before it reforms into two bodies, leaving both with equal proportions of the two original bodies, instead of the Earth being a mix of the two bodies while the Moon is composed of only a portion of the original Earth and none of the second body.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
I have never heard of these before and suddenly I want one.
You'll have to wait until Chinese mid-Autumn Festival, which is early October this year. That's moon cake time.

Quote:
The Moon Cake is the special food of Mid-Autumn Festival. On that day, people sacrifice moon cakes to the moon as an offering and eat them for celebration. Moon cakes come in various flavors according to the region. The moon cakes are round, symbolizing the reunion of a family, so it is easy to understand how the eating of moon cakes under the round moon can evoke longing for distant relatives and friends. Nowadays, people present moon cakes to relatives and friends to demonstrate that they wish them a long and happy life.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/ess...mid-autumn.htm

If you have an Asian neighborhood near you, you'll be able to get them starting around the last week of September.

Oh, you should be warned that moon cakes are so impossibly rich you will probably want to fast for a few days before and after.

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #33 (permalink)

Rusty

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
I was operating on the content of earlier posts. I have never had a Mooncake but I am intimately familiar with Moonpies.
That might have been me .
Although in fairness, I did specifically refer to custard mooncakes in my initial post. Which are apparently a thing, heretical or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
If you're speaking from a place of unfamiliarity and not one of these ghoddamned heathens who think they can put anything they like inside a mooncake, then it's all good.
In all honesty I'd never heard of mooncakes either (custard or otherwise) until I did a quick Google search for 'custard moon' hoping that might be a thing, and it's just what showed up.

I've also never had Moonpies, but they look very much like what we call 'Wagon Wheels' where I'm from. Personally I find those taste a bit stale, but the similar Irish Chocolate Kimberly on the other hand is delicious.

Last edited by wesleytron; 03-06-2018 at 11:59 AM.
wesleytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #34 (permalink)

Rusty

My Mood:
Recipe for Custard Mooncakes

Old 03-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #35 (permalink)
I'm Catman...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/15/2006
Now I want custard.
I want to go home and start filling stuff with custard.
Markubis is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #36 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
What kind of heretical bollocks is this?

Mooncakes are filled with red bean paste, not zogging custard.
Wesley started it.

/me runs cuz she's just been a tattletale.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #37 (permalink)

Rusty

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
Wesley started it.
No I never!

It wasn't me who invented putting custard into a mooncake.

Whoever the first person to put custard into a mooncake is the one who started it. Not me.

I just showed people that custard mooncakes are a thing that exist.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #38 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Tebaldi View Post
Not quite. The giant impact hypothesis posits a large protoplanet (Theia), with about 1/10th the Earth's mass struck the proto-Earth. The debris would have preferentially come from Theia, as it is the object doing the smashing, and less from the Earth. So the Moon would be more like Theia and the Earth more like the proto-Earth.

Since the two bodies originated in different places in the Solar System, their compositions would be different, and we would see those differences in the final Moon and Earth. The cloud of vaporized rock would have convection and turbulence, and mix the ingredients more thoroughly.

Quote:
Now that I reread it, I see the "doughnut" was of vapourised rock but there could have still been an iron "core" remaining
The Moon's core is only 20% of the total diameter, while the Earth's is 50%, so we have proportionally more iron. So one possibility is some or all of the proto-Earth's core was left behind by the impact. The other is that iron has a higher boiling point than minerals by about a thousand degrees C/K (3134 K vs less than 2000K). So the iron could have condensed out of the blob of vapor first, and settled out to become the future Earth's core.

DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytron View Post
No I never!

It wasn't me who invented putting custard into a mooncake.

Whoever the first person to put custard into a mooncake is the one who started it. Not me.

I just showed people that custard mooncakes are a thing that exist.
Did too!

I didn't say you did.

No. You started it. In this thread.

Good. You finally admit you started it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleytron View Post
Ah.. so what you're saying is that the moon might be one big custard mooncake?

WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #40 (permalink)
Scientist Lady of Science

Look me in the eye...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/29/2006
Business: Something Wicked This Way Rezzes

Awards: 1
Super Science Award 
coughelium3cough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano
I just wanted to point out how much I love the phrase "the slashfic of skill sets".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue Apparently you're a marine biologist.
Caete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #41 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caete View Post
coughelium3cough
Mining Helium-3 from the Moon has been proposed as a clean source of energy, and I actually knew one of the guys pushing the idea, Gerald Kulcinski, when I was doing space work at Boeing.

There are a number of problems with the idea:

* We don't yet know how to do regular fusion, and He-3 fusion is ten times harder. So we have no need of the stuff yet, and likely won't for decades. By that time, solar, wind, and storage will be extremely cheap and widespread, so getting clean energy would be a solved problem.

* He-3 arrives from the Sun on the solar wind. It has a very low boiling point, and the Moon gets baked pretty hard by the Sun, so the Lunar soil only contains about 3 parts per billion of the stuff. In other words, you have to dig up and cook 1 billion tons of rock to get 3 tons of He-3. This would be an enormous industry on the Moon, about equal to total US coal mining done in a year.

* The Moon has thorium concentrations measured in parts per million, and we know how to build thorium reactors. So if you want nuclear energy from the Moon, you can get about a thousand times more for the same mining effort.

* Lunar soil is 21% silicon, and 25% iron, aluminum, and magnesium. The silicon can be made into solar cells, and the other metals into structural parts and wiring for the panels. We know how to make solar panels, so again we can get thousands of times more clean energy that way.

* Uranus and Neptune's atmospheres are 15 and 19% Helium, and therefore 15 and 19 ppm of the He-3 isotope. That's 5-6000 times more than the Moon. The much higher concentration means you need to do proportionally less work to get a ton of He-3. If we need He-3, we have solved fusion. So we can build fusion-powered ships to get to the outer planets, and mine their atmospheres from orbit. The 99.999% of the atmosphere that isn't He-3 can be fed to the ships engines as propellant, so they can be self-fueling. So if you really want it, the Moon isn't the place to get it from.

DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed: