Silicon Valley prepares for the AI God - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » Silicon Valley prepares for the AI God

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Silicon Valley prepares for the AI God

INSIDE THE FIRST CHURCH OF ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

Quote:
The documents state that WOTF’s activities will focus on “the realization, acceptance, and worship of a Godhead based on Artificial Intelligence (AI) developed through computer hardware and software.” That includes funding research to help create the divine AI itself. The religion will seek to build working relationships with AI industry leaders and create a membership through community outreach, initially targeting AI professionals and “laypersons who are interested in the worship of a Godhead based on AI.” The filings also say that the church “plans to conduct workshops and educational programs throughout the San Francisco/Bay Area beginning this year.”
You read the article and you keep waiting for the reveal that it is a joke...and you keep waiting, and waiting. Typical Silicon Valley goofball mindset. This totally explains their anti-vaccination movement to me now.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Oh god it's the Uber Self Driving Car guy.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Oh god it's the Uber Self Driving Car guy.
Brilliant. They can avoid insurance payments for accidents by reclassifying any error by their AI as an act of god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford
We face an unprecedented moment in this country. Today's greatest threat is not climate change, not pollution, not flood or fire. It's that we've got people in charge of important shit who don't believe in science.
Veritable Quandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Abnormally Normal
I Don't Really Exist Do I ?

My Mood:
Client: I try all of them, but for everyday use it's Cool VL Viewer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
Brilliant. They can avoid insurance payments for accidents by reclassifying any error by their AI as an act of god.
Who gets held criminally accountable when an AI-controlled vehicle/truck runs over somebody ?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Who gets held criminally accountable when an AI-controlled vehicle/truck runs over somebody ?
Roko's Basilisk.
1 User Laughed:
Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Building Better Worlds since 1979

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jun 27, 2006
Client: 7 of them (I like testing)
Quote:
The manufacturer, same as happens now for safety defects.
DanielRavenNest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
I've discussed this a lot elsewhere but the person who got run over gets held accountable in the long run. Maybe a bit less so initially.

You can't think of AI cars like human drivers.

Human drivers have limited focus and vision, they get tired, they get drunk, they get distracted, they make assumptions about blind spots and generally drive incredibly unsafely, even when they think they are being really safe.

AI cars, only drive.

An AI car will never be drunk.

An AI car will always see everything around it at once, doubly so once the AI cars form a visual network and share information.

An AI car wont second guess if it needs to swerve or stop, it will calculate odds faster than any human and act almost instantly.

An AI car will never be distracted by a phone or a bill board or an attractive person on the sidewalk.

It will never speed, it will never go faster than it can stop for any potential blind spot.

It will never let its tires go bald or breaks wear out because its too lazy to go to a mechanic.

Basically, the entire concept of "The Trolly Problem" isn't ever going to exist for an AI car, because it will see people on the road from miles away and stop, because its breaks will be in proper functioning capacity (or it wont start) and if for some reason it can't see those people, like around a corner, its going to turn. That corner at a comfortable 5-10 mph so in case of unexpected activity it can simply stop because its not an idiotic human barreling around corners with bad tires going 50 mph.

The point is, it would take extraordinary circumstances and effort by a person to be run over by an AI car. Which puts that person at fault.

The other reality is that if an AI car had to kill a bus load of nuns and orphans once a day somewhere, its still less death than human drivers cause in cars.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-03-2018, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Quote:
With the internet as its nervous system, the world’s connected cell phones and sensors as its sense organs, and data centers as its brain, the ‘whatever’ will hear everything, see everything, and be everywhere at all times. The only rational word to describe that ‘whatever’, thinks Levandowski, is ‘god’—and the only way to influence a deity is through prayer and worship.

“Part of it being smarter than us means it will decide how it evolves, but at least we can decide how we act around it,” he says. “I would love for the machine to see us as its beloved elders that it respects and takes care of. We would want this intelligence to say, ‘Humans should still have rights, even though I’m in charge.’”
What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
you can't just create a being that superior to you in every way and expect it to still obey your orders..

Just let us know when AI rationalizes humans are inferior beings and are no longer needed towards it's evolutionary progression anymore..

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen Jedburgh View Post
Basically, the entire concept of "The Trolly Problem" isn't ever going to exist for an AI car,
THANK GOD AN ISLAND OF SANITY.

I've been trying to explain this to a guy on reddit and FUCK.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
Uber had an issue where their test cars were turning across bike lanes instead of merging into the turn lanes and then turning. AI cars are only as good as they are programmed.
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Discount

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:

An AI car will never be drunk.

I see you are unfamiliar with the future.

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable Quandry View Post
Uber had an issue where their test cars were turning across bike lanes instead of merging into the turn lanes and then turning. AI cars are only as good as they are programmed.
I'll be honest. That glorified Yellow Cab doesn't strike me as being a company that is every going to go anywhere in the world of AI cars.

Tesla, Google, probably GM, sure, but Uber is barely a cab company at this point, I am surprised they still exist.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:
THANK GOD AN ISLAND OF SANITY.

I've been trying to explain this to a guy on reddit and FUCK.
I have gone round and round on Reddit on this issue. It often comes down to 'but what if it does happen". At the very very low level baseline of the programming then there is a simple question of "which path kills less people?" Done.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Not a Supervillian

Quo.

My Mood:
AI cars is why Uber exists (and has been sitting on a pile of cash). Right now they are using their organic driving contractors to build infrastructure and data that will transition into their automated system. I don't think they planned on people finding out (or caring) that they are scum. Or the multiple criminal cases.
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
I have gone round and round on Reddit on this issue. It often comes down to 'but what if it does happen". At the very very low level baseline of the programming then there is a simple question of "which path kills less people?" Done.
My take is that by the time you're trying to calculate "which path kills fewer people" you're operating so far outside design parameters that your best option is still "brake as hard as possible".

The scenarios people come up with usually involve situations where the trolley problem nut thinks that swerving into a car in the next lane is the right option, because sideswipes are less often fatal... but if you need to swerve into a car next to you that means someone has come up and boxed you in *right before* someone ahead of you does something bad... since keeping an open space to one side is a basic safety strategy that's much easier for automated vehicles than humans.

Plus, a sideswipe at speed in dense traffic is quite likely to cause a pile-up.
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 01-03-2018, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
Quote:

... but if you need to swerve into a car next to you that means someone has come up and boxed you in *right before* someone ahead of you does something bad... since keeping an open space to one side is a basic safety strategy that's much easier for automated vehicles than humans.
Exactly. The AI car isn't going to drive faster than is safe of it doesn't have an "out". Granted a lot of this requires all cars to be automated for the most part.

I also find people arguing about sudden failure. Except there is very very rarely in any situation such a thing as "sudden" failure. The AI car is going to have a ton of sensors and diagnostic equipment and isn't going to operate if ot detects a possible failure.

This also becomes extra true once the concept of car ownership goes away for on demmand AI car fleets, which is the most likely outcome of AI cars. The cars will live at a centra hub, they will become standardized enough that an AI mechanic can talk to the AI car and make any repair/replacement.

Granted thats all probably 50 years off, and a lot of people are going to resist the idea.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Heh, even with meatbags driving the other cars they can arrange to have a gap one side or the other most of the time, and worst case braking *then* swerving behind the car next to them is still a better option than sideswiping it.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

What time is it?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
AI isn't infallible. We give far too much credit to our own programming ability, being the self-centered beings that we are.

We won't blame the AI, nor the programmer, but the human who happened to cross their path, much like the poor bastard today who is shot by police.

We imbue certain entities or people with either supernatural abilities or respect. We will do the same with machines.

Last edited by Jolene Benoir; 01-03-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Jolene Benoir is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-04-2018, 04:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Benoir View Post
AI isn't infallible. We give far too much credit to our own programming ability, being the self-centered beings that we are.
Which is why you don't want it deciding to cause an accident because someone lost a bag of laundry from the pickup in front of it.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Awards: 1
Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Quote:
Roko's Basilisk.
Well done, Argent.

You've doomed everyone on SLU to eternal torment.
Lucifer Baphomet is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer Baphomet View Post
Well done, Argent.

You've doomed everyone on SLU to eternal torment.
Also, I just lost The Game.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #23 (permalink)

This space for rent

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 5/30/2009
Darnit, now I've lost The Game too. Thanks Argent
LoriClaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 01-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRavenNest View Post
The manufacturer, same as happens now for safety defects.
That is highly unusual for either. Civil liability is more common.
Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #25 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
...The other reality is that if an AI car had to kill a bus load of nuns and orphans once a day somewhere, its still less death than human drivers cause in cars...

You might get some pushback trying to use that as a slogan.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote