With A 10 Day Supply Of Opioids, One In Five Become Long Term Users - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Science and Tech » With A 10 Day Supply Of Opioids, One In Five Become Long Term Users

Science and Tech Discuss questions of science, science and progress, that do not speak as loud as your heart. Also, tech stuff.

Sponsor:
charity: water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
With A 10 Day Supply Of Opioids, One In Five Become Long Term Users

With a 10-day supply of opioids, 1 in 5 become long-term users

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
there's a slight problem with that meta study... it doesn't track reason for continuing or discontinuing use... cost rises for patients on shorter cycles due to deductible costs (which are usually per refill), as well as ability to consistently refill. I'm quite sure both of those have an effect on continuation that depresses the lower end bar
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Grande Cabalista

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
This surprises me, it really does.

When I was receiving radiotherapy for cancer in my throat (a horribly painful treatment) I was given fentanyl patches that released 25 mcg/hr, plus liquid morphine for spike relief (as I think it's called) as and when I needed it, which was about every 4 or 5 hours.

This regime lasted for about 3 months, and took about 1 month to come off. That seems to be pretty standard, at least according to both my oncologist and the discussion boards for the UK cancer support groups I used.
Innula Zenovka is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

What percentage were actual long term pain sufferers? I didn't see any attempt to correct for that. My own experience with opiates is that if you're taking them for more than a day or two you're probably dealing with something you're going to be a while getting over, so the possibility that 20% of people needing more than a couple of doses are legitimately needing long term pain relief doesn't seem terribly unreasonable.

As an aside, one problem in the US is that there's systematic mis-prescribing of opiates due to marketing. Not over-prescribing, but prescribing higher doses instead of more frequent doses.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 03-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
I need my brain serviced. It keeps wanting to read the headline as "Win a 10 Day Supply of Opioids"..
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
adorabilis!

plurk this

My Mood:

Awards: 1
Special Achievement In Hello Kitty Trolling 
It doesn't surprise me at all. I got a five day supply of opioids after having my wisdom teeth removed. It was the best rest of my life, taking one of those. Perhaps I was in a vulnerable state due to untreated panic disorder and insomnia at the time, but by the end of day 3 I was cutting them in half to make them last longer. I realized what I was doing and haven't taken anything stronger than Advil since. I really do genuinely fear what will happen if I'm ever in a situation where I'm going to need serious pain relief.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
AvaAdore is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
It's a good thing I seriously do not like oxycodone, which is the thing that I get prescribed the most.

After the car crash I walked out with a prescription for Tylenol with codeine. Unfortunately codeine is a happy fun drug for me. Between that and not wanting to spend any money, I didn't bother to fill it. Now if I had recent tooth surgery or a bad ear infection I would have filled it. But knee pain is a signal you're doing it wrong, so I figured I'd rather tough it out and have a better chance of healing by not being stupid. This is working.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tired

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innula Zenovka View Post
This surprises me, it really does.

When I was receiving radiotherapy for cancer in my throat (a horribly painful treatment) I was given fentanyl patches that released 25 mcg/hr, plus liquid morphine for spike relief (as I think it's called) as and when I needed it, which was about every 4 or 5 hours.

This regime lasted for about 3 months, and took about 1 month to come off. That seems to be pretty standard, at least according to both my oncologist and the discussion boards for the UK cancer support groups I used.

When I was at MD Anderson Cancer Center, they were very open about being willing to prescribe for pain relief and considered it part of the care. They had to make me take oxycodone because I was in enough pain I had stopped eating very much and didn't fully realize it.

Maybe the U.S. is swinging too much the other way now? Too many drug scares and not enough sensible management.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
I was in the ER with chest pain. Once we determined my heart was okay, I was given Ibuprofin for the pain, when I later noted that the pain was still present, they gave me an injection of morphine! I was told that was pretty standard pain management protocol, but I could not help but think that was going from first gear to fifth in a fairly quick manner. The next eight hours were AWESOME though.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-04-2017, 11:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rabblerouser

*SLU Supporter*

edible

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February, 2007

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
As some of you may recall I crushed my L2 vertebrae Dec 1st and did the opiode dance for a few weeks. I knew it was time to flush them when I was washing them down with a whiskey chaser. Man that shit is dangerous.
shy poster is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Hugged You: