Is Sansar DOA? - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Sansar » Is Sansar DOA?

Sansar Discuss Linden Lab's Sansar project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #51 (permalink)
I don't do stupid.

mean old man

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006-06-09
Business: My!
Client: Dolphin Viewer 3
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance Corrimal
or in other words, you could get the whole active "population" of sansar into ahern infohub and you'd still have some room left for bots and spammers.

hell i could name a few of those alternate opensim based grids that have better user stats than that... if i remembered the names, that is.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #52 (permalink)
Music Lover

*SLU Supporter*

me

SL Join Date: Oct 24 2003
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
Real-life art galleries get more traffic than Sansar.
I would hope so for the big ones! Philadelphia Museum of Art has around 2000 visitors a day.
Essence Lumin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:44 AM   #53 (permalink)
I don't do stupid.

mean old man

My Mood:
btw: https://eregion.kicks-ass.net/munin/...nline_Now.html
Old 04-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #54 (permalink)
I don't do stupid.

mean old man

My Mood:
conclusion:

sansar is not DOA.... because DOA stands for dead on arrival. Sansar is DWBA, dead way before arrival.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #55 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence Lumin View Post
I would hope so for the big ones! Philadelphia Museum of Art has around 2000 visitors a day.
I was thinking more the art gallery on the corner of your local downtown area, the one that sells paintings by local artists and those cool artsy postcards of bl&wh photos.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #56 (permalink)

I had no idea concurrency in Sansar was so low. And this is, presumably, according to plan? Man, what IS that plan, anyway?

[I assume it's according to plan because LL's board permits the company to keep dumping salary dollars into Sansar ... or maybe they haven't met since 2015 ... or maybe LL puts something in the water at meetings?]

Because if the plan is to get in on the ground floor so that when VR takes off they'll have a leg up on everyone, that is bogus. Both Bill Gurley and Bing Gordon (LL board members) are well aware that when a challenging technology like VR matures (btw great ideas on a 'best path' for that, Da5id!), previous products based on earlier versions of the technology will be completely eclipsed by all-new products that incorporate zero obsolete assumptions.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #57 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
total concurrency may be as much as three times the stated amount
Reaching, really really reaching.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #58 (permalink)
Quietly watching

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/24/2007
Client: PoundLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
And this is, presumably, according to plan? Man, what IS that plan, anyway?

[I assume it's according to plan because LL's board permits the company to keep dumping salary dollars into Sansar ... or maybe they haven't met since 2015 ... or maybe LL puts something in the water at meetings?]
I'll just leave this here:

Vaelissa Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #59 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Quote:
I had no idea concurrency in Sansar was so low. And this is, presumably, according to plan? Man, what IS that plan, anyway?

Because if the plan is to get in on the ground floor so that when VR takes off they'll have a leg up on everyone, that is bogus. Both Bill Gurley and Bing Gordon (LL board members) are well aware that when a challenging technology like VR matures (btw great ideas on a 'best path' for that, Da5id!), previous products based on earlier versions of the technology will be completely eclipsed by all-new products that incorporate zero obsolete assumptions.
As we were reminded in the last big kerfluffle, this is a *creator* beta. So if creators are finding their feet in here, then it's going according to plan. It's not actually meant for users, it seems, and so until that's true, I will just keep an eye on it.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #60 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Technically, Blue Mars never got out of that stage. Hmmm.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #61 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
For Lance up there.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #62 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Cloud Party was on the fast trick to surpass Second Life, but they must not have thought so because they sold out to Yahoo and I will forever be staly about it.

They had it all.

In a internet browser.

I don't know how much money Linden spent on Sansar to earn 50 player concurrency, but also remember they did that whole Ready Player One tie-in, I'm sure that wasn't cheap either.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #63 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myf View Post
So everyone's favourite Linden Lab cheerleader, put up a blogpost on Sansar concurrency the other day... the numbers aren't what I would call promising...

Linky Loo (New World Notes, you have been warned)
Ah. So about the same as Active Worlds has been for what... 15 years now if not longer. Just enough to keep the doors open but not enough to really take off without digging deep into the [LL] coffers. Not really a good sign, imo.
Believe or you will not see.

Last edited by WolfEyes; 04-28-2018 at 08:55 PM.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #64 (permalink)
Music Lover

*SLU Supporter*

me

SL Join Date: Oct 24 2003
Geez, 50 concurrent users. Of course SL should have more but for comparison's sake SL has around 30,000 to 50,000 concurrent users.

http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/sl-statistical-charts/
Essence Lumin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristalle View Post
It's not actually meant for users, it seems, and so until that's true, I will just keep an eye on it.
But then why is LL SEEKING users with the Ready Player One tie-in?

Quote:
You can explore the space, uncovering a range of 80s pop culture references (a pretty giant one features in the image above). Lena Waithe voices Aech.

The experience is completely free to jump into. Itís not a game so much as something to immerse yourself in and uncover with friends.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 04-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeon Writer View Post
They had it all.
They did not have large contiguous land masses to sail and fly through, did they?
Old 04-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #67 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
Quote:
But then why is LL SEEKING users with the Ready Player One tie-in?
It's not much of a beta if no one is using it, is it? I think that they want to have their cake and eat it too, honestly. Until they get a better functioning avatar system, that won't happen.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 04-28-2018, 10:32 PM   #68 (permalink)
Myf
McMahon

Pop!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March '07
Business: The Kino Haus
Client: the one you hate

Quote:
As we were reminded in the last big kerfluffle, this is a *creator* beta.
I know that's the excuse the Lab likes to fall back on, but it's a pretty piss poor one if you ask me. Whatever label they like to apply though, for intents and purposes Sansar is in an open beta, with all the assumptions and expectations that implies.
Myf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:03 AM   #69 (permalink)
I don't do stupid.

mean old man

My Mood:
...how is a "team sport" like hover derby supposed to convince anyone if you can't get a team together?
Old 04-29-2018, 04:19 AM   #70 (permalink)
I don't do stupid.

mean old man

My Mood:
I'm actually goung to have another looksee, and surprisingly enough i was (so far) able to grab the latest client updates in a reasonably short time, given that I'm on 16mbit DSL. Let's see if I run into one of the other 49 people.

hm. there were two people standing around in aech's basement. loading all the stuff for aech's garage seems to take quite some time on 16 mbit.

Last edited by Lance Corrimal; 04-29-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Lance Corrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:10 AM   #71 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
As we were reminded in the last big kerfluffle, this is a *creator* beta. So if creators are finding their feet in here, then it's going according to plan.
If you open the door to anyone who can walk in, that argument sounds really weak.

Sansar really SHOULD be in a creator beta, with general public kept out because the product has very little to offer users so far and wandering around during this stage is doing more harm than good to the Sansar concept. Once your market audience is introduced to something subpart, it's just that much harder to try to win them back later. Hell, just getting them to COME BACK later is hard.

I didn't expect a fully polished virtual platform when I first logged in, but I was hoping to see something that was exciting, that at least sketched in the potential of Sansar in the future. I got nothing.

Years ago, I wandered through Blue Mars a few times and despite my severe concerns about the organizing concepts and the cloned avatars, there were some prickles of excitement exploring the vast, seamless landscape of gorgeous shoreline and mountains of New Caledonia.

Sansar, in contrast, felt claustophobic and inert. Instead of opening a door to the outside, entering an experience was like opening the door to a small room. No matter how pretty the room, it was still an unsettling small space.

When you can't even meet the low, failed bar set by Blue Mars, you got a big problem.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #72 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
If you open the door to anyone who can walk in, that argument sounds really weak.

Sansar really SHOULD be in a creator beta, with general public kept out because the product has very little to offer users so far and wandering around during this stage is doing more harm than good to the Sansar concept. Once your market audience is introduced to something subpart, it's just that much harder to try to win them back later. Hell, just getting them to COME BACK later is hard.

I didn't expect a fully polished virtual platform when I first logged in, but I was hoping to see something that was exciting, that at least sketched in the potential of Sansar in the future. I got nothing.

Years ago, I wandered through Blue Mars a few times and despite my severe concerns about the organizing concepts and the cloned avatars, there were some prickles of excitement exploring the vast, seamless landscape of gorgeous shoreline and mountains of New Caledonia.

Sansar, in contrast, felt claustophobic and inert. Instead of opening a door to the outside, entering an experience was like opening the door to a small room. No matter how pretty the room, it was still an unsettling small space.

When you can't even meet the low, failed bar set by Blue Mars, you got a big problem.

I agree that it should be BETA really just for creators now.

About claustrophobic feeling - same here, but - I don't know about you - I'm only in desktop mode and can only imagine difference may be essential with headset in this matter.

Last edited by Toy maker; 04-29-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Toy maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #73 (permalink)
Just another muppet

*SLU Supporter*

Eh ?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Spring 2007
Client: standard
Possible, but so far Sansar is nowhere near justifying to shell out my Shekels for a headset and additional other new needed hardware to use it.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #74 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Quote:

So, I'm not saying you are wrong but I wonder if that aspect makes a difference if you a re in VR or on the non vr desktop view.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #75 (permalink)
Thread Killer

SL Join Date: May 2007

Quote:
They did not have large contiguous land masses to sail and fly through, did they?
Well, no, but Second Life dosn't have that either.

Unless you count.. *snork*... flying/sailing though Mainland. Done that lately?
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote