Ebbe Altberg on Setting Priorities for New Features for Sansar - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Sansar » Ebbe Altberg on Setting Priorities for New Features for Sansar

Sansar Discuss Linden Lab's Sansar project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 03:42 AM   #76 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
I eventually see VRChat out-doing Sansar if LL keeps with their tradition of being utterly tone-deaf to what their users want.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-11-2018, 03:50 AM   #77 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer

Forget Sansar, come to the dark side! We have candy (and faster load times)!
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-11-2018, 04:54 PM   #78 (permalink)
- mercurial heathen -

in my own little world

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/11/2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
I eventually see VRChat out-doing Sansar if LL keeps with their tradition of being utterly tone-deaf to what their users want.
Maybe they are listening to people beyond the population of dwindling SL users?

They need to try to attract new people (who are not current users of SL) to join Sansar, if they want Sansar to be bigger-than-SL. If you just pull old Second Life users over, then you lose SL profit, but gain Sansar profit, that doesn't really increase overall profit. They need to get new people into Sansar.

i don't know that they are going to succeed in doing that. Sansar isn't what i'd hoped it be.. at least not yet. However, i'm not looking for Sansar to be a "Better Second Life" or "Second Life 2.0", which it feels like a lot of SL residents want.

i think it could be great if Sansar attracts a whole-new audience and hardly any of present SL population moved over or liked it. Trouble is, it kinda seems like Sansar is currently attracting no audience. So....

Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #79 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana View Post
Ok, fair enough.
Are you saying that you're seeing that?
Who are these people that they're hoping to pull in?
Are they actually reaching them?
Are those people actually joining?
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #80 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
I don't get any impression that the Lab is trying to pull people over to Sansar - not yet. They seem to know as well as anyone that it's very much a work in progress, simply one that they've opened up sufficiently for folk to peek at.

It looks like I'll soon exceed the system requirements for Sansar. Does anyone have any recommendations of what's worth seeing? Are loading times still horrendous?
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #81 (permalink)

Status symbol

My Mood:
Business: OPQ
Quote:
They need to try to attract new people (who are not current users of SL) to join Sansar
Definitely yes and that's what they've been trying to do. But, as I said, the way things look now, that would take nothing short of a miracle.

Quote:
Sansar isn't what i'd hoped it be.. at least not yet.
My thoughts exactly. I've been in Sansar on and off for a year now. My first impression was disappointment and it hasn't gotten any better since then, if anything it has only gotten worse. This is not what I hoped for and it's definitely not what they promised us.

Quote:
Trouble is, it kinda seems like Sansar is currently attracting no audience. So....
They are already struggling with the retention rate. That does not bode well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
They seem to know as well as anyone that it's very much a work in progress, simply one that they've opened up sufficiently for folk to peek at.
Yes but I think they are making a serious miscalculation there. First impressions are sooo important. The people who are curious enough to take a peek at this stage aren't very likely to be motivated to come back later and as for us people who waited three years for this to happen, we basically go: "oh no! another three years to wait".

Besides, fixing up Sansar isn't about adding more shinies. There are fundemanetal flaws in its core that need to be corrected. Beebo Brink has already explained very well the difference between developer focused and user focused development so there shouldn't be any need to go into more detail about that. But that is just one issue.

As a considerate (I hope) content creator, I've been looking at how Sansar manages resources. I find nothing there to encourage and help build more performant content, nothing at all! As far as I can see, they don't even have basic asset instancing and that is just plain ridiculous. Sansar does have Umbra which is supposed to the absolutely best scene optimization tool the world has ever seen. In spite of what LL seems to believe, it is not supposed to be the magic bullet to solve all performance limitations once and for all. The invetiable results of this are 20 minutes load time and unrealistically high hardware requirements.

Even the very prupose of Sansar is critically vague. Who is it for? What is it for? How suitable is it for the target audience?

One example here are architects. They have several times been mentioned as somebody who could use Sansar as their virtual showrooms. Of course, arhictects tend to have plenty of gpu power at hand, more than enough to handle the requirements of Sansar. But what good is that when their customers don't?

Factors like those can't be fixed or bolted on to a product at a later stage. They have to be in place right from the start and as it turned out, they weren't.
ChinRey is online now   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #82 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Catznip or the Official but I dabble in others

The Penis Handler 
Quote:

They need to try to attract new people (who are not current users of SL) to join Sansar, if they want Sansar to be bigger-than-SL. If you just pull old Second Life users over, then you lose SL profit, but gain Sansar profit, that doesn't really increase overall profit. They need to get new people into Sansar.

i don't know that they are going to succeed in doing that. Sansar isn't what i'd hoped it be.. at least not yet. However, i'm not looking for Sansar to be a "Better Second Life" or "Second Life 2.0", which it feels like a lot of SL residents want.

i think it could be great if Sansar attracts a whole-new audience and hardly any of present SL population moved over or liked it. Trouble is, it kinda seems like Sansar is currently attracting no audience. So....
I think that’s the same point people have been making in their criticism of LL though. That they don’t know their audience or target market and never have. I don’t mean they don’t know SL users in the sense they don’t understand what we do there and how we use their product. I mean they literally have no idea where we came from or why we stay. I don’t believe most of the SL users I’ve met were ever identified as a part of any target audience group to try to attract. LL got lucky somehow, particularly with retaining as many as they did, but they won’t be able to duplicate it using the same “let’s build it and hope some unnamed unexpected user community stumbles on it, abandons all other hobbies, and commits untold hours a week for 10 years to us” strategy.

I completely agree that they don’t need to build SL 2.0 or listen to SL users, but if Sansars base isn’t intended to be SL users, who is it? Do they even know?

Last edited by Pancake; 01-11-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 AM   #83 (permalink)
Rabblerouser

*SLU Supporter*

edible

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February, 2007

Linden Lab is a one trick pony
shy poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:44 AM   #84 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

Quote:
I don't recall saying anything about SL users specifically.

Whoever their intended target is, they will be clueless.
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-12-2018, 03:38 AM   #85 (permalink)
pushes vertices

Shinyyyyy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 666
Business: Timetwist by A2NZ
Client: Official Viewer
I've tried it out, until I realised there was no way to chat except by using voice. Not too much of an issue right now because I've never met anyone else in Sansar, but what happens when I do? I'll have to speak out loud when my partner is, for example, trying to watch telly or play a video-game, or reading quietly.

On top of that -- something that's also not an issue right now, because of how limited the beta is -- when/if Sansar starts attracting more people, the last thing I want is to sound like a chick. It's not something I'm comfortable with in videogame-type environments.
I see your work and think 'she'll go far' which is why theres no need of an aide memoire
xxxxxx
My instagram
Raindrop Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #86 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana

hardly any of present SL population moved over or liked it

For SL current users and potential similar users today's Sansar is horrendous to load, avatars have ugly faces and there is nothing to do obviously. But reaction to new Fashion Release is mostly highly enthusiastic from what I see.

Last edited by Toy maker; 01-12-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Toy maker is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #87 (permalink)

Status symbol

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shy poster View Post
Linden Lab is a one trick pony
Not anymore, they are up to one-and-a-half tricks by now. The Second Life department of LL has done a lot to improve their act since 2014 and although they are still struggling with sins, attitudes and organization models of the past, they have already come a long way. The Sansar department seems stuck in LL's old ways though.

The change of direction - or rather achievement of direction - happened around the same time that Sansar was first introduced. I'm not sure if that was a coincidence. There were two other huge changes in SL's organization around the same time and it can be hard to see what caused what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
Whoever their intended target is, they will be clueless.
If I understand correctly, what actually happened was this:

Back in 2011 or 2012 Linden Lab started working on a "Second Life 2", a complete revamp of the entire SL. Rod Humble actualy hints at something like that as early as 2012 (can't find the quote right now - it's somewhere in Inara Pey's blog). LL got to work in their usual whimsical, unfocused way so they didn't get much done at first.

When Ebbe Altberg took over in 2014, he started tightening up and restructuring the organization so it was finally possible to get some momentum to the progress.

But as the new management started to get a feel for how SL actually works, it gradually began to dawn on them that Sansar simply wasn't going to work as an SL replacement. By then the project had come too far to be simply scrapped so they started redfining it instead.

The result was that they had to make up the reasons for doing it at all as they went along in mucht he same way as the original LL team did for SL although for very different reasons.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #88 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx F View Post
If I understand correctly, what actually happened was this:....
Thank you. What you described would have resulted in exactly what we're seeing now, and it explains why I've always felt Sansar was a disaster of a product, not even up to the dysfunctional level of Blue Mars, but failing for many of the same reasons.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:48 PM   #89 (permalink)

25 forevah! in SL at least

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2004
Business: Mediverse
Client: Mostly Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx F View Post

If I understand correctly, what actually happened was this:

Back in 2011 or 2012 Linden Lab started working on a "Second Life 2", a complete revamp of the entire SL. Rod Humble actualy hints at something like that as early as 2012 (can't find the quote right now - it's somewhere in Inara Pey's blog). LL got to work in their usual whimsical, unfocused way so they didn't get much done at first.

When Ebbe Altberg took over in 2014, he started tightening up and restructuring the organization so it was finally possible to get some momentum to the progress.

But as the new management started to get a feel for how SL actually works, it gradually began to dawn on them that Sansar simply wasn't going to work as an SL replacement. By then the project had come too far to be simply scrapped so they started redfining it instead.

The result was that they had to make up the reasons for doing it at all as they went along in mucht he same way as the original LL team did for SL although for very different reasons.
I've been involved in trying to sell SL to clients for a long time, and the major barrier to using SL has been the high cost of land, and the fact that you need to download a client. Whether you're aiming at companies or schools, or individuals, the cost, high spec needed and the fact that you have to download software have been three of the greatest obstacles.

I can see that a world which could be explored in the browser, where you could prototype games or communities can gather in greater numbers would have a market, but Sansar just isn't that - and it requires an even higher spec than SL to work properly.

I love building with prims in SL and find it easy and enjoyable - and Sansar is not that. If you're a company with budgets for mesh items and time to burn, maybe Sansar will be a good fit at some stage in the future. But currently and for the foreseeable future SL is much more expensive but a much easier environment.

As for the idea that LL is listening to people outside SL - yes, they've always done that. Look how well that's worked out for them! Taking people with little or no knowledge or love for SL was how we came to have the "new" UI and I'm sorry, but even years later I find the appearance menu much worse and less easy to use than it was before they messed with it.

LL has always been searching after the people who don't use SL but might, but the problem is I don't think those people who will take to SL or any virtual world actually know that until they try it. And many, many people will simply say it isn't their sort of thing without trying it. So I think the only way to find more customers is to make an effort to understand the ones who use SL and love it, and try to make the products more applicable to them and not run after the rest-of-the-world mythical customer base who are not only not using SL/Sansar but never will, no matter how much you dumb down the UI.
Caliandris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #90 (permalink)
Queen for no minutes

SL Join Date: October 09, 2009
Client: Linden Lab's
I'm kind of late to these Sansar discussions since I've only recently gave in and tried the open beta, but I really want to write down my impressions.

I remember reading something like what Lynx F described, and it makes complete sense. It reminds me of The Sims 4 fiasco, in which it was supposed to be an online game, but they changed back to the old concept half way through which resulted in a game that felt rough and unfinished.

Using Sansar for the first time was painfully underwhelming. I remember the sense of wonder I had when I logged on SL for the first time, it felt like this whole new world where I could be and do anything. I know it's still a beta, but Sansar doesn't give that feeling at all, if anything it feels constricted and almost claustrophobic, not only for the limited ways you can interact with things or personalize your avatar, but down to the camera and walking movements that are an exercise on patience.

And there's the case of the avatars, which are basically an updated version of those awful starter mesh avatars LL implemented some years ago to SL. It was an embarrassment then (Mesh avatars who didn't fit any skins or clothing made so far, what were they thinking?!), and it is now, it goes to show how disconnected LL is from their customers. I can't believe they couldn't have more care to make the Sansar avatars to look just a little like the current user-created mesh avatars we have in SL right now.

I can't help but wish that they would've went through with this "Second Life 2" and kept the VR experiences as an extra. Sansar feels too reliant on a gimmick that for all we know could be nothing more than a passing fad.

Worst walking simulator ever! Would be funny if it wasn't tragic...
Leopoldina is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #91 (permalink)

Status symbol

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldina View Post
I can't help but wish that they would've went through with this "Second Life 2" and kept the VR experiences as an extra.
Me too and I don't think we're alone in feeling that. Linden Lab has a dilemma though, Second Life's two biggest strengths are also its biggests weaknessess. It's the fairly large allbeit slowly dwindling numbers of established users and of former users who still pay their tier or land rent or premium memberships. An upgrade to a modern standard that would be attractive to significant new user groups would alienate so much of SL's existing customer base and there is no guarantee, probably not even much chance, it would succeed.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #92 (permalink)
Out chasing balloons

Soft n furry

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon Viewer

Special Achievement In Necroposting 
hard to sit Priorities for New Features for Sansar when they are not able to do new things with mainlands on the big grid
Old 02-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #93 (permalink)
Rabblerouser

*SLU Supporter*

edible

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
Uhm... since we have run Quiplash off, and since he was literally carrying the Sansar forum, having created just about every single thread in it. If SLU is going to have a Sansar thread, one of us may have to actually bite the bullet and log into Sansar and find something worth posting about. Not me. I would rather go back to Red Light City than lose another hour of my life and login to Sansar again. Or maybe we could go visit High Fidelity and see what that nutty demigod Phillip is up too?
You're welcome
shy poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #94 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

The irony is that we really are a target audience for Sansar. Overall, as a group, we are early adopters. Many us traveled through a succession of different virtual world products before ending up SL. We were willing to try Blue Mars, Cloud Party and Sansar, not with the prior expectation that they would fail, but out of a sense of adventure and curiosity.

Few of us are unquestioning fans of SL -- if anything we're its harshest critics -- and we're open to new experiences that will take virtual worlds to the next level.

All these newer projects fell short of what SL already offered. I, for one, am majorly disappointed in those failures of vision and imagination.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #95 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Please State the Nature of the Mustelid Emergency

I bought a new laptop to give Sansar a chance. I mean, it's been useful, having a decently powerful Windows box ... but I wouldn't have bought a quad core i7 with a 960m GPU and M.2 SSD for what I'm actually using it for if Sansar wasn't on my radar.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 02-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #96 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
I bought a new laptop to give Sansar a chance.
I tried to upgrade my internet bandwidth service for the same reason. Unfortunately, my provider is a fucking joke and the order fell through, so I'm still too crippled in Sansar to visit often. It's just too painful.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #97 (permalink)
Out chasing balloons

Soft n furry

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon Viewer

Special Achievement In Necroposting 
sansar i try it the viewer interface is terrible with loading time worst

tried to save my region went to bed woke up this mornin it ws still savin
Old 02-21-2018, 02:37 AM   #98 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Ruth too, oh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
tried to save my region went to bed woke up this mornin it ws still savin
Ditto. I got a new computer, 16 gigs of ram, 2gig video ram (weak cpu -i5) and had a similar experience.

That was the point where I noped out of Sansar pretty much for good. It's too rich for my blood.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 02-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #99 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
Ditto. I got a new computer, 16 gigs of ram, 2gig video ram (weak cpu -i5) and had a similar experience.

That was the point where I noped out of Sansar pretty much for good. It's too rich for my blood.
The best computer in the world will do you no good if your internet bandwidth is constricted. Your computer specs are fine, but you're probably getting choked by your connection speeds. Sansar data demands are fierce.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:38 PM   #100 (permalink)
bunneh

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
What's the av situation like now? Are there any furry options yet, by any means? I'd like to have a look, but it'd feel so weird to be forced to be human.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is offline   Reply With Quote