Ebbe Altberg on Setting Priorities for New Features for Sansar - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Sansar » Ebbe Altberg on Setting Priorities for New Features for Sansar

Sansar Discuss Linden Lab's Sansar project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #51 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake View Post
Stan made me think of the Eminem song so I caught the general meaning I think. Shampoo my crotch? Now THAT was new to me but I ainít googling it.
Actually that is where the reference comes from (Eminem song).

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #52 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

SL Join Date: 11/21/05
Client: Firestorm usually

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
PS - it is good to have you back around again, Sal. Props for making most of the people in this thread have to google what stan means.

After the election I needed a loooooong break. I am still maybe not fit for company. Weíll see. Also, ya know, Irma.
SalStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #53 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
I understand. My participation in the past year has dropped off for similar reasons. Every day seems some new fresh horror and I find don't have much to say and just want to retreat into other things.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-30-2017, 08:59 PM   #54 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

Quote:
Shampoo my crotch? Now THAT was new to me but I ainít googling it.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #55 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

Quote:
I understand. My participation in the past year has dropped off for similar reasons. Every day seems some new fresh horror and I find don't have much to say and just want to retreat into other things.
I have lots to say. Itís just that mostly itís in all caps and foul.
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #56 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Every day seems some new fresh horror
That's what I'm here for.
2 Users Said Yay!:
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #57 (permalink)
But it refused. <3

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
I have lots to say. Itís just that mostly itís in all caps and foul.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:58 PM   #58 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalStrange View Post
Can we all agree this one is shy's fault? I can't afford another Salome chases people off SLU point on my license. I've only been back posting for like two weeks.
Has it been that long already?

Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-31-2017, 12:06 AM   #59 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle Warburton View Post
Last edited by Beezle Warburton; Today at 06:27 PM. Reason: Misspelled "slagging" .
Old 12-31-2017, 12:30 AM   #60 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/28/2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiplash View Post
Well it looks like Iíve worn out my welcome. I do apologize and I wonít bother cross posting from my blog to here anymore. Some posts have generated discussion but not all. Anyway Iím done.
Wow, does flouncing make it easier to get up on that cross? (I say that because I did go read the blogpost and your comment about SLU there.)

Pasting a weblink to your own blog is not really participating in a discussion, just for future reference. Actually posting thoughts and points and counterpoints is participation.

I'd love for LL's newest venture to succeed. So far, I haven't seen anything that would draw me to it. Not one feature so far. For all my crankiness and antisocial behavior, I am, at my core, a social animal. So what do you think Sansar has to offer that would make me care at this point?

Beebo has made some excellent points about the Lab seemingly not to have a roadplan for Sansar. Specifically for monetizing Sansar.

From that perspective, it seems like the Lab is taking ideas that just didn't work in SL, implementing them in Sansar, but SHINIER, and that, somehow, will make it work.

Instead of, y'know, what worked..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
You are that evil voice on my shoulder Roxy.
Roxy Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-31-2017, 12:42 AM   #61 (permalink)
Pancakes alt

Bondage Luddite

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 02/28/2009
Quote:
PS - it is good to have you back around again, Sal. Props for making most of the people in this thread have to google what stan means.
Might I add both yourself and Pancake as well. You three back to posting makes life good.

Now if Bronx would come back life would be gooder. Just sayin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
You are that evil voice on my shoulder Roxy.
Roxy Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
2 Users Like This:
Old 12-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #62 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Hey, Quip, I just tried to respond on your blog, and got "Sorry, this comment could not be posted."

Basically, I think you're missing the reason people are down on Sansar. There's two reasons, really.

1. It seems very much like all the other attempts to do Second Life one better. Trying to make "Second Life without all the sex and piracy", without understanding why SL succeeded. Until it changes that approach, it doesn't matter what whizzy new features it has.

2. People are threatened by Sansar, because whether it succeeds or not it's going to suck resources out of SL, and not have even the possibility of providing a replacement for what actually makes SL interesting (See 1).

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #63 (permalink)

25 forevah! in SL at least

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2004
Business: Mediverse
Client: Mostly Firestorm
Quote:
I withdraw my advice. Clearly not posting the content of his blog here for discussion was a purposeful decision and not an oversight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Hey, Quip, I just tried to respond on your blog, and got "Sorry, this comment could not be posted."

Basically, I think you're missing the reason people are down on Sansar. There's two reasons, really.

1. It seems very much like all the other attempts to do Second Life one better. Trying to make "Second Life without all the sex and piracy", without understanding why SL succeeded. Until it changes that approach, it doesn't matter what whizzy new features it has.
I've always been behind LL and Second Life, and I tried Sansar in the same spirit, but I find they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater - things that work really well in SL work badly in Sansar. We're asked to be patient because the project is in development, but things like a Mac Client that works shouldn't be something that customers in SL and Sansar have to constantly bang on about... one of the probably unreliable surveys said that about 85% of creators were using Macs, so if you're going to raise the bar for creation in Sansar to those who can use 3D creation programs only, you should surely make sure that their preferred platform is catered for?

The way that LL uses SL and probably Sansar is not the way the customers use it, that much is clear from the fact that they virtually NEVER understand that people want control over their appearance and will ALWAYS opt for greater control over their appearance over other features. The fact that the Sansar avatar is only slightly customisable is a big deal for customers, and they still don't get it. I don't know why, except many Lindens either never change their appearance or change out whole avatars at a stroke - there aren't many who tweak a base avatar and change outfits only etc.

Sansar currently doesn't have a lot to attract anyone to spend time there. The experiences are very limited - even the flagship Egyptian experience seemed to have very little actual content or interactivity. It's all coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
2. People are threatened by Sansar, because whether it succeeds or not it's going to suck resources out of SL, and not have even the possibility of providing a replacement for what actually makes SL interesting (See 1).
It's not just that. It's been mishandled throughout, given that customers in SL are the ones who have been providing LL with an income and Sansar is too alpha/beta to be making any money and is still at the shit's-not-working stage. If Sansar was able to compete with SL then it would be understandable, but it really can't at the moment. I'm willing to believe that it will in the future, but people can only base their opinions on what they can see and not on what it may be in the future.

As far as the Quiplashbacklash is concerned... it's a bit rich to go all hurt bunny on us when you've intimated that we're all negative whiners and other rudenesses. If you'd actually posted properly with an opinion or some news about Sansar which isn't just more jam tomorrow stuff, then people could engage with you about the subject under discussion. You didn't discuss though, you threw a link at us and then went to sulk in your tent.
Caliandris is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
3 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #64 (permalink)
Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
You only have to read some of the unending negative commentary about Sansar on SLUniverse and the official Second Life user forums to see that.)
That one word in bold makes the whole statement a complete lie.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #65 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

So I shall remain ...a stranger

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 06/14/2005 then 04/06/2008
Client: Singularity 1.8.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliandris View Post
As far as the Quiplashbacklash is concerned... it's a bit rich to go all hurt bunny on us when you've intimated that we're all negative whiners and other rudenesses. If you'd actually posted properly with an opinion or some news about Sansar which isn't just more jam tomorrow stuff, then people could engage with you about the subject under discussion. You didn't discuss though, you threw a link at us and then went to sulk in your tent.

Threw a link where he talked smack about us and then flounced of when called on it.

I noticed when Quip used our (mostly Beebo's) feedback to call out Linden Lab on how they treated gender and avatar choice. Things like that are why I never really called him out and just kinda skimmed over his more shill-y posts.

Beyond that? You generally don't expect accolades when you post a link on a forum that you talk shit about on the same exact forum. It's the equivalent of walking into someone's house and shitting on the dinner table.
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Agreed:
Old 01-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #66 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Being accused of being a shill for Linden Lab is hilarious as I criticize them as much as anybody else and I have a platform with this blog which is small but it does carry. I do sincerely apologize to those whom I have offended, but I’m done with SLUniverse for now. I dare not set foot over there or they’ll meet me with tar and feathers!
Far from.

Ryan, you are an abject coward and while you have done more than shill in the past ...at this point you are little more than an empty suit.

You are not shunned for posting "controversially", you're now held in extremely low regard because you posted brickbats aimed at the community you were formerly a part of.

Your exile is of your own choice and it's your own making.

You shit where you sleep now you can't stand the smell? Maybe you should have thought your plan out a little better, instead of going back to your blog and whining.

I'll far from tar and feather you should you come back, though. I have mostly ignored your threads as it is. And now when I see your name I'll simply shrug and think "Oh, it's that whiny kid with the thin skin" and move on to the next post.

Happy 2018; have fun with your blue mars II bit....
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 01-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #67 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Now he's going the Tenshi route and banging on about VR addiction...
Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #68 (permalink)
Tenacious Twat

On this board I've been called a racist, a homophobe, a pedo sympathizer and any number of other things. I have been on the opposite side of the majority of the board frequently (though less these days than in the past). I was stalked by a fruit loop for years.

This dude can't take being called out for being an asshole when he posts snotty shit about people on this forum, even though he expressly linked to it himself to call it to everyone's attention.

Sorry, but I have no spare pennies to donate to a fragile boy handkerchief fund in this case.
3 Users Laughed:
3 Users Hugged You:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #69 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2008

Awards: 2
I just checked the pearls on my necklace and it turns out, they're made of plastic.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #70 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: June 2007
Client: Firestorm

So, uh how long do we have to wait for Pancakes end?

Cos that is the only reason we're still in this right

(╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻
crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #71 (permalink)
*blink*

Vatican mole

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
So, uh how long do we have to wait for Pancakes end?
Cos that is the only reason we're still in this right
I'm only still here for the busking

You can wish-list items and return to SLU to purchase through the affiliate link.
Note: Some people refuse to buy from Amazon due to predatory tactics against publishers as noted here and here by Jacqueline Trudeau.

Last edited by Soen Eber; 01-03-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Soen Eber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 01-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #72 (permalink)
Miss Congeniality

Dressed up like a car crash

My Mood:
Client: Black Dragon, FS, SL Viewer
Uhm... since we have run Quiplash off, and since he was literally carrying the Sansar forum, having created just about every single thread in it. If SLU is going to have a Sansar thread, one of us may have to actually bite the bullet and log into Sansar and find something worth posting about. Not me. I would rather go back to Red Light City than lose another hour of my life and login to Sansar again. Or maybe we could go visit High Fidelity and see what that nutty demigod Phillip is up too?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #73 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Not it!!

It takes me over 20min on average to load Sansar experiences, and my attempt to get gaming-speed bandwidth from the my service provider was a disaster. I burned a vacation day waiting for a technician that never showed up, so I canceled the order.

My curiosity isn't high enough to wade through 3D molasses.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
Squirrelly

Pancakes for all!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 24, 2006
Client: Frestorm, Singularity, Official

This laptop barely does SL......
Beezle Warburton is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-11-2018, 03:01 AM   #75 (permalink)

Status symbol

My Mood:
Business: OPQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Sullivan View Post
If SLU is going to have a Sansar thread, one of us may have to actually bite the bullet and log into Sansar and find something worth posting about.
There are worse things in life than an internet forum with no active Sansar discussions.

The way I see it, there are only two interesting things that can possibly happen to Sansar at this stage.
  • Linden Lab gets to their senses, close down this miserable beta, get to work and relaunch it if/when they have something presentable to show or:
  • A miracle happens and Sansar manages somehow to get a little bit of attention from the world at large
In either case, there is no need to be log on to Sansar to notice.

Last edited by ChinRey; 01-11-2018 at 03:31 AM.
ChinRey is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Likes This: