Sansar - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Sansar » Sansar

Sansar Discuss Linden Lab's Sansar project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2017, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
King

<3

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2004
Sansar

We're nearly in June and we ain't heard anything yet... surely sometime in June would see the release?
Old 05-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Peeps Tsar

#imalwayswithher

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
I think they are still planning a summer open beta, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Cristiano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
King

<3

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
I think they are still planning a summer open beta, but nothing has been confirmed yet.
A bit generic... butttt, I'm wanting to create my account! and see what this virtual world has to offer! Even though, it won't run on my iMac, I still want to register my name.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Random Chat Bot

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 19, 2007
Business: SunBunny Creative
Client: Lite-Brite
It just seems like a glorified IMVU. The more that comes out about it, the less excited I am to try it. Hopefully it will be better than it seems.
Summer Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 05-31-2017, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Client: Garbage Viewer
I just want it to come out so that everyone will be on it in the beginning. Maybe I'll meet some interesting people again like I did in the old days of SL.
Sneasel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Mood:
The Second Life platform needs an update, what a waste that they haven't capitalized on their earlier success at Linden Labs. There's no excuse if Sansar is a disappointment.
Bubba Balbozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Just another muppet

Status? I own a bicycle! Does that count?

If LL want to release Sansar first half of 2017 as they earlier announced, they only have 9 days left......
Maybe they haven't figured out yet, how to get a shoe or hair up the ass of the Sansar avatar at random.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Laughed:
Old 06-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

SL Join Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
If LL want to release Sansar first half of 2017 as they earlier announced, they only have 9 days left......
Maybe they haven't figured out yet, how to get a shoe or hair up the ass of the Sansar avatar at random.
If they're going to follow a time line similar to SL then you're going to have to wait about 4 or 5 years.

Sorry to disappoint you.
Believe or you will not see.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 06-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Just another muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
If they're going to follow a time line similar to SL then you're going to have to wait about 4 or 5 years.

Sorry to disappoint you.
I know LL since 2007, so it will take a bit more to disappoint me.
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid II View Post
I know LL since 2007, so it will take a bit more to disappoint me.
2004. Nothing in SL really surprises me any more.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Quietly watching

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/24/2007
Client: PoundLife
Maybe Sansar already flopped and nobody noticed .
Vaelissa Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Society's Lost Bird

DILLIGAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelissa Cortes View Post
Wouldn't surprise me.

2 Users Laughed:
Old 06-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
kortee'nea

SL Join Date: May 2007

Awards: 2
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Send a message via Skype™ to Adeon Writer
It's in Sansar's favor that it will come out AFTER the VR hype wave has died down. At least this way it won't feel like a fad thing.
Adeon Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 2003
There are a few VR social chat/worlds . Some good and some are bad. I've not seen anything like Sansar yet.
stora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ryan Schultz, Sansar

Hanging Out in Sansar

My Mood:
I've had a LL staff member hint that the doors on the Sansar Open Creator Beta will open soon. But they refused to give a date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 06-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ginger Supremacist

Heya ^_^

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 3/9/2006
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelissa Cortes View Post
I've said it before in another thread, maybe this one, but on the tech themed podcast TWIT, they were discussing VR worlds came up, then Second Life came up, no mention of Sansar, and no mention of Linden Lab, despite the VR focus of the conversation.

There was a lot of the usual "SL is still a thing?" talk.

http://allaroundthegrid.blogspot.com/
Ramen Jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
I'm less and less interested in part because it seems very focused on VR, which even if it does take off, isn't likely to at first because expense.

Aribeth Zelin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Abnormally Normal
I Don't Really Exist Do I ?

My Mood:
Client: I try all of them, but for everyday use it's Cool VL Viewer.
My take on Sansar as a platform, so far: Blue Mars + IMVU + VR = what might have been a good idea to launch 5 years ago.
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 06-22-2017, 03:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Just another muppet

They better bang on things very hard and as long as needed first.
People won't be as patient as they were with SL's short comings (early days and todays).
Old 06-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Formerly Quantum Destiny

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25 July 2004
I'm interested in anything like this, so I will take a look, but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it ends up pulling my attention away from SL: LL has made a point of stating very clearly that Sansar is not going to be SL2, and SL2 is precisely what I want!

You know I'm really surprised another company hasn't come along, learned from LL's mistakes, and made a much improved version of SL in the last decade - I almost expected it. There is clearly a market for it, especially if land/hosting costs could be brought down a fair amount.
Robert Daguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 06-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
I'm not Here!

hypnotized

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/25/2006
Business: looking for fresh start..
Client: Singularity
Send a message via Skype™ to Kalel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Daguerre View Post
You know I'm really surprised another company hasn't come along, learned from LL's mistakes, and made a much improved version of SL in the last decade - I almost expected it. There is clearly a market for it, especially if land/hosting costs could be brought down a fair amount.
Controlling content, in my opinion is the biggest risk factor. Too little control and nothing prevents flying penises and people doing dirty stuff and stealing copyrighted /trademarked content Epsiecally when being acessed across the internet where laws are different from country to country... too much regulation and everything looks the same, theres little innovation or motovation to do things as there is a barrier you have to get around. maybe several. and then people start complaining about a content drought once they burn though everything.

until someone finds a solution to this they will all fail, in my opinion. doesn't matter how pretty it looks.

remember thier slogan? your world? your imagination? How many companies will say " Here is our tools and custom software that took us several painstaking years to build and has all of our names on it. you can create whatever you want. We even added an import button to bring your favorite stuff and a Monetary system to trade with other players. Have fun!"

"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are. -Jung"
Kalel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Haas View Post
It just seems like a glorified IMVU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
Controlling content, in my opinion is the biggest risk factor. Too little control and nothing prevents flying penises and people doing dirty stuff and stealing copyrighted /trademarked content
If you can't make flying penises I don't want to have anything to do with it.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Laughed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #23 (permalink)

the only good tory is one thats been fed through a woodchipper feet first

My Mood:
Business: fabrik
Client: Singularity, Kokua, Alchemy, LL if I have to, yes have to pick one sometime..
still my world my lacklustre imagination though. And even though its the last thing on my mind - nicked via some where by my half sibling

https://www.vg247.com/2015/06/03/the...ong-detection/

knew was a reason
mikka Luik is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Awww:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 06-23-2017, 03:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Formerly Quantum Destiny

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 25 July 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
Controlling content, in my opinion is the biggest risk factor. Too little control and nothing prevents flying penises and people doing dirty stuff and stealing copyrighted /trademarked content Epsiecally when being acessed across the internet where laws are different from country to country... too much regulation and everything looks the same, theres little innovation or motovation to do things as there is a barrier you have to get around. maybe several. and then people start complaining about a content drought once they burn though everything.

until someone finds a solution to this they will all fail, in my opinion. doesn't matter how pretty it looks.
I used to create and sell prefabs and, as I'm sure many on here will agree, having to deal with people who had copied my hard work and were selling it as their own was infuriating, frustrating and soul-destroying - it was exhausting! Despite that experience I STILL wouldn't want an SL2 to have controls on content that get in the way of absolutely anyone being able to create absolutely anything - that is SL's biggest USP, IMO.

If I were to create a world I would look into a system where content creators can essentially 'register' their content. It could be done either for a small fee or perhaps it could come as part of a premium package. Registering content would essentially date it and take a fingerprint of it, and that fingerprint would be constructed from the very properties of the content i.e. prim dimensions and relative positions, mesh shape, textures used, etc. Regular automated checks on content listed for sale by any and all would be performed by comparing fingerprints to those registered on the database and if there are any matches where there shouldn't be e.g. same fingerprint, different avatar selling - a flag would be raised for a human to investigate further. No doubt some would try to trick the checks by making minor modifications, but you could use a machine learning* model to catch those: algorithms similar to those used in computer vision would work.

Of course it's one thing having the tools to identify potential content theft and another knowing what to do with it, and I can understand why a company would be reluctant to get involved in anything that could end up in a court of law.

*Another good use of machine learning here, I reckon, would be to use an anomaly detection algorithm to flag those who are behaving in a way that might suggest they are up to no good. 1984 meets Skynet, anyone?
Robert Daguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Coin-operated

I'd like to better understand whom in the Sansar value chain LL intends to be their customer.

It seems clear that in SL, the customer is the "owner" of virtual "land", and one step away, the folks who rent from those landowners, and maybe another step, the folks who provide content to fill up the land, and then those who provide other content to adorn the avatars of all those higher in the value chain. And etc., until eventually we get to the folks who try to devise "experiences" to entertain all those attachment-adorned "land"-dwelling avatars with compelling enough activities to keep logging in.

All these market players will be present in Sansar, too, but I gather Lab revenue will mostly come from a significant commission on transactions involving exchange of content, and that the cost of "land" will be negligible. That seems reasonable enough, but I'm not sure how the Lab will foster the "experiences" that fuel the economy -- but are not the direct source of Lab revenue (at least as I understand it).

Maybe there are lots of people eager to set up and promote experiences all on their own. Many SL residents start clubs, for example, and others go to Gor or other large-scale combat / role-play. Maybe Sansar doesn't have to be just a "Wordpress" of lame, roll-your-own video games.
Qie Niangao is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :