Sansar - Page 3 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Sansar » Sansar

Sansar Discuss Linden Lab's Sansar project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #51 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Curmudgeon

SL Join Date: 9/25/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterius View Post
So you now have to update Windows and download Visual C++ Redistributable.
Update(s), probably.

But the Sansar installer should include any required redistributables (SxS libraries, etc.) - people shouldn't have to google error messages and work out which SxS redist versions they need (figuring out which _exact_ one(s) can be very tricky, and often involve parsing Windows system error messages) and loading those by hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Weber View Post
Who would have thought WacoNegraUnpluged Resident would end up being a problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
I'm not going to go into the circular clusterfuck of doom with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robble Rubble View Post
I'll admit it feels bizarre for me to say this but.... STOP FEEDING THE TROLL
Tengu Yamabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #52 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
So you now have to update Windows and download Visual C++ Redistributable.
Yeh, I googled, and that's a really lousy error message: "try reinstalling the program to fix the problem". Also, isn't the point of the "redistributable" part that you can include it in your app?

So I spent literally three hours downloading updates, with at least three reboots. Makes me miss our custom image install process at my last job.

"And now I'm going to show you something really cool."

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Argent Stonecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #53 (permalink)

I have no status

Business: No Escape
Client: Nirans or development daily build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Well, I was able to justify a semi-gaming laptop, it just arrived, completely virgin... all I've installed on it is Chrome, Firefox, and Firestorm.

And...

You need to reinstall the C runtime. https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/down....aspx?id=48145

Since it's a refurb machine I'd be tempted to point the finger at whoever reinstalled the OS as part of the refurb process.
Da5id Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #54 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2006
Client: Firestorm and Project Bento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu Yamabushi View Post
... why aren't they hosting the meeting in a Sansar experience? o.O
Peasants like me wouldn't be able to attend.
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
Porsupah Ree is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #55 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da5id Weatherwax View Post
Since it's a refurb machine I'd be tempted to point the finger at whoever reinstalled the OS as part of the refurb process.
That would be ASUS, or whoever they're contracting to do it.

The previous is a cybernetic datum published - in direct contravention of DoD Regulation #229RR3X3 - as being conducive to the physical, psychological and/or social well-being of the population.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #56 (permalink)
I don't do stupid.

mean old man

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2006-06-09
Business: My!
Client: Dolphin Viewer 3
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance Corrimal
ok I actually managed to get the installer to do its thing, and created an account...

...now I have an ugly avatar wandering around in somewhat cool but depopulated art exhibits.

It seems that the Lab has not learned at all. Not from almost 15 years of running SL, and not from watching Blue Mars taking a nosedive and die.

That being said, the Apollo Museum that I just checked out would be cool... if it wasn't for the interactive Apollo 11 app for my Samsung Gear VR where you actually get to fly the thing yourself.

"too little, too late."
Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #57 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

OK, I finally got my laptop working by completely reinstalling Windows from scratch, with Windows 10 Creator's Edition to get all my upgrades in one jump.

(it still required a bunch of updates after the install, isn't Creator's Edition like totally brand new?)

Is it just me or is there no way to get out of the pond in the Zen Garden if you fall into it? I finally teleported to Egypt just to get out of it.

(also, I was feeling nauseous by then, so the 10 minute load of the new area gave me a chance to go outside and get some air)

Then I took like 10 steps and walked through a door, and it started loading another new area.

This made those videos of the pre-release of Linden World with the primitars and hand grenades look fucking amazing. This was like "My First Unity Project" quality.

1 User Hugged You:
Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #58 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

I'm in the Insider Program. My last job included desktop support for Windows users*.

Preview builds are a misery inside an enema (even if they install without so much faffing around).

But April is only a few months ago, how can there be so many updates in that time?

* I didn't install Windows from scratch, though, thank all that is holy. We had a whole department doing monthly COE images for fresh installs with all the Corporate software and restrictions.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #59 (permalink)

Imagine that you are walking down a path through a beautiful peaceful environment in VR while your body is exercising in the real world.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...-vr-treadmill/

I toyed with the idea of buying a treadmill when the day arrives that I buy a VR headset to enjoy a nice peaceful walk.
My neighborhood is a hazard to walk through with speeding automobiles almost running people over and loose dogs racing out to chase bicyclist and pedestrians as they pass by.
Georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #60 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Heck with Sansar. If I could walk around in SL by walking on a treadmill, I would be so into it. Wouldn't even need t be omnidirectional, flippers on the treadmill handholds to turn the avatar would be fine.

1 User Agreed:
Old 08-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #61 (permalink)
Tainted Tigar

I'm sawrry, but I dun' prey taht wai!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Hope this hasn't been posted yet

New World Notes: Sansar Already Has Furries: Custom-Made Humanoid Bat Appears in Linden Lab's New World Within Week of Launch

Fookin' awesome

If the seasons is spices, then winter is cumin

Fun Facts 'bout Tigars #8. When several tigers are present at a kill, the males will often wait for females and cubs to eat first, unlike lions, which do the opposite. Tigers rarely argue or fight over a kill and simply wait turns.
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-16-2017, 03:58 AM   #62 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
Also via /r/sansar, which I ought to've guessed would exist and am now subscribed to:

https://sansarnewsblog.wordpress.com...-about-sansar/

Some highlights from the in-world bash with Bjorn Linden:

* Mac client is on the roadmap
* Object animations coming soon
* Flying will be coming; taken out for now, as it was "confusing" for VR users
* Charging for experiences will be an option
* Hoping to support 100 avs in a single Experience
* Game engine is their own
* Accessibility features will be coming, as well as voice commands
* Client releases will be on a monthly basis
"Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write; nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars - all the beauties of creation." -- Victor Hugo
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #63 (permalink)
Just another muppet

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsupah Ree View Post
* Charging for experiences will be an option
Sansar will need a lot of fundamental changes and improvements if they want to get me as a regular customer.

If they want me to go and sit/stand behind my computer with a set of diving glasses, they have to bring up something extraordinaire.

If someone wants to charge me for an experience, that has to be more than mind blowing.
Sid II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #64 (permalink)
bunneh

My Mood:
This odd little keyboard isn’t the first five-finger design, but it does seem particularly well suited to VR chatting, and by those with severe visual impairments too.

How it Works - TAP

Perhaps this could encourage the Sansar devs to promote the use of textual chat? Given they seem reluctant, due to normal keyboards’ awkwardness with a VR headset on.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Stonecutter View Post
Is it just me or is there no way to get out of the pond in the Zen Garden if you fall into it? I finally teleported to Egypt just to get out of it.
the Sansar keyboard actions are here: https://help.sansar.com/hc/en-us/art...oard-Shortcuts

the one that lets you teleport within a scene is to hold down CTRL key and left click on the point in the scene you want to go to
irihapeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #66 (permalink)

This is a VR experience, not Sansar but this seemed as good a place as any to put it.

Wanda Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #67 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
After seeing what LL actually have, plus various lists of features they want to add, Sansar doesn't remotely qualify as beta. This is closer to a proof of concept, a sketch of basic functionality plus wish lists of functionality that can be bolted on, maybe, at some point in the future.

Calling Sansar a beta product raises user expectations and flattens enthusiasm when users explore a very limited feature set. I'll dip in again in 2018.
2 Users Agreed:
2 Users Like This:
Old 08-25-2017, 03:38 AM   #68 (permalink)
Fuzzlebugs Finkmellon

haz dem bodacious ta-tas

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 2009
Client: Singularity

I haven't yet gone over to visit Sansar but from the overall impression I've gained from those that have, there really is nothing to encourage me to go look. It does sound to me that it's been opened up waaaay too soon. Surely by the time it's open to the public, whether in 'Beta' or otherwise, it should be pretty much user ready and in a position to wow the pants off everyone?

I'm not a developer but I would have though that whole point of having closed testing is to get it to the point that when it is finally opened to the public, Beta or otherwise, folks will arrive and go 'wow! this is amazing!'. Whereas the average feedback seems to be 'meh - it's kinda pretty cool as far as looking at stuff but there's bugger all to actually do'. Getting your first line testers coming out and telling everyone else that's it's just ok, and still way behind SL as far as a lot of the functions, is not exactly marketing genius. In fact, it's quite the opposite. I get the feeling that even those of us who were vaguely curious have now lost any interest or enthusiasm to check it out.

The overall ethos of the platform doesn't sound like anything that I would be interested in anyway, as it sounds like it really is planned to be much more of a virtual museum than an interactive location - which is fine - but I would have still wandered along at some point just to take a look. But after seeing the photos and hearing the comments of those that have, I have even less interest than before.

Just seems that after all the hype and build-up, LL have shot themselves in the foot with some really poor marketing and preparation and have actually managed to create a negative impression which will potentially hurt their initial membership numbers - because let's face it - nomatter what they think - a large number of their early visitors would be SL residents.
Cristiano
The first rule of Pope Club is you don't talk about Pope Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrinB View Post
Anouk: "Proudly shackling the genie-arses of abnormal men!"
Anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #69 (permalink)
Ryan Schultz, Sansar

Hanging Out in Sansar

My Mood:
I wanted to let everybody know that I have started a blog devoted to Sansar, to my knowledge the very first user-created blog about Sansar, called the Sansar Newsblog. It's at https://sansarnewsblog.wordpress.com/ and I welcome all of you to come in and have a look. (i started the blog back in January, but I did not really start posting until Linden Lab opened the doors to the public in its open creator beta on July 31st.)

Every day, I highlight a specific Sansar experience in my Pick of the Day. Also, every day I post a picture of a different experience as my Scene of the Day. I have interviewed Sansar content creators such as Maxwell Graf of Rustica, and I share tips and tricks to help you get the most out of Sansar. I am also Sansar's first fashion blogger!
Quiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 08-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #70 (permalink)

Lurkin' and stuff

Quote:
https://help.sansar.com/hc/en-us/art...August-18-2017

More features are coming soon to Sansar! VP of Product Bjorn Laurin met with the community to discuss highlights of the next release and to answer questions in the most recent Product Meetup, held Aug. 18.
THE NEXT RELEASE
The Sansar community can expect another update with several new features and bug fixes in the next couple of weeks.
Highlights of the new release include:
  • Terrain Editor - Make mountains and more with the first implementation of our new Terrain Editor. In the future, you’ll be able to upload your own textures.
  • Support for Shoutcast - Add music and live streaming to your experiences and scenes with new support for Shoutcast audio streaming.
  • Avatar Attachments on The Sansar Store - Create your own avatar attachments and then sell them on The Sansar Store.
  • Trigger Volumes - Add interactivity to your experiences or scenes with the new "Trigger Volume" feature, which can be used to associate scripts with objects to make all sort of things happen (including pathfinding).
  • Object Animations - Add animations to objects to bring them to life! Create them in Maya, StudioMax, or Blender and import them into Sansar.
  • 3D Videos - Imagine watching a 3D movie within a 3D space! Support for 3D video is coming soon to Sansar.
Now we're talking. As a start, to see changes like these already coming is very encouraging.
Dakota Tebaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #71 (permalink)
King

<3

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2004
Hope this will become available for Mac soon...

There is no way I am going to format my computer and install Windows to play. I want to, but I'm not going to lol...

Plus, don't I need a kick ass video card to play Sansar?
Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #72 (permalink)
Emergency Mustelid

Windows continues to be a toxic waste dump.

My laptop has a gf960m and an Intel embedded GPU, and drivers that automagically switch between them.

So I run the Steam VR test tool, and it tells me my computer doesn't have the Kung Fu to do VR because it's using a wimpy Intel embedded GPU. Even if I go into the nVidia control panel and tell it to use the 960m for EVERYTHING.

Thanks, Bill.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
King

<3

My Mood:
I have a 28" iMac, if I formatt my computer to run Windows, will sansar run 'ok'?
Old 09-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #74 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 09/25/2006
Send a message via ICQ to Bartholomew Gallacher Send a message via Skype™ to Bartholomew Gallacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Opel View Post
I have a 28" iMac, if I formatt my computer to run Windows, will sansar run 'ok'?
Depends on the year your model was build and the GPU in it.

iMacs usually had really quite underpowered graphics units built in, so the chances are good it won't run very well, the iMac pro would be the exception.
Bartholomew Gallacher is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 09-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #75 (permalink)
King

<3

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Gallacher View Post
Depends on the year your model was build and the GPU in it.

iMacs usually had really quite underpowered graphics units built in, so the chances are good it won't run very well, the iMac pro would be the exception.
2016 - AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB