One reason RP is on the decline in SL - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Virtual World Discussion > Roleplay » One reason RP is on the decline in SL

Roleplay Discuss topics related to roleplay in SL and other environments.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

I finally got it all together, but now I forget where I put it.

My Mood:
Maybe it's that a certain kind of RP is in decline. Sims like Berlin and New Palermo are thriving.

Family RP sims seem to be doing ok too
Zaida Gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 03-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
Oddly Controversial

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 11/30/2005
Business: Retired
I have a few thoughts about this.

Regarding the role of the owner as a greeter/gm...I actually kind of understand where this comes from. If you go to most any RP sim (even if you had a time machine to hit up all of those that no longer exist) the vast majority show that the owner is trying to exert some very strict control over the RP that happens in their sim. With approved races, a set in stone history and ongoing story, and rules everyone is to follow all the time. Many of these places even have a character application process!

If you're expecting sims to have those kinds of rules then it makes sense that you'd also expect the sim to provide some sort of greeter, 24/7, to get people involved in the RP, and some canned events all the time. This style also explains why so many sims try, never with any real success, to get the players to take on NPC roles like shop keepers.

Personally, I don't think that's very realistic and I've never seen it really work.

Rather, I prefer a more tabletop style approach. Get a bunch of friends together in a sim, use the sim as a stage, set dressing and props, choose an agreed upon GM to get the story rolling and act as moderator and NPCs, and just go! If it's just a couple of people roleplaying interactions with no big story going on, a dice roll script can take the place of the GM.

No need for a tour guide, no need to read through dozens of lengthy notecards, no need to create a brand new backstory and submit an application to every halfway interesting looking sim.

Then the only real issue is finding people to play with, which can be a challenge in itself.
Penny Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 03-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #28 (permalink)

Catching up on videogame backlog

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Patton View Post
Rather, I prefer a more tabletop style approach. Get a bunch of friends together in a sim, use the sim as a stage, set dressing and props, choose an agreed upon GM to get the story rolling and act as moderator and NPCs, and just go! If it's just a couple of people roleplaying interactions with no big story going on, a dice roll script can take the place of the GM.

No need for a tour guide, no need to read through dozens of lengthy notecards, no need to create a brand new backstory and submit an application to every halfway interesting looking sim.

Then the only real issue is finding people to play with, which can be a challenge in itself.
I love that style of RP, but just curious how the GMing works in SL, practically? Is it more theater of the mind style or how exactly? Because unless it's on your own sim you are unlikely to have building rights etc.
Experimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
Just call me Beth

Singing along with old music

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Oct 4 2009
Business: Moondrops ; Tempus Fugit; Faerycat Designs; sPunk
Client: Firestorm
I've done tabletop style rp in SL, and more or less ended up trying to run an RP sim by myself too, after the person who'd been working with me and mostly overuling me on things up and left [but kept paying so....]

Anyway, even being around all the time didn't help. Because being there and active doesn't work if people don't want to interact with you. Of course, if not for staff issues, it might have worked anyway. The story was fairly detailed, but the rules pretty much summed up to 'Don't be an asshole'. Now I've an RP friendly club I'm working on, and anyone can RP, or not, whatever they want, so long as they fit in the rating of the sim we're on.

Aribeth Zelin is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 03-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lady of the House

Hopeful

My Mood:
SL Join Date: December 1, 2006
I would agree that sims with detailed histories and lore pretty much call for a strong core of players and staff to guide people into rp, some guided plot points to stir things up.

I've said this in a different thread: if you have rp with little to no context other than show up, then it's possible to have decent rp but probably not likely to KEEP people in the long term. Being a kind of Mos Eisley cantina works for spontaneous rp but what is it that keeps people coming back? Long term rp where you have players for years in the same character needs context in which to work. All the npc type jobs (merchants of all stripes, smiths, bakers, etc.) are asked to be held by pcs because they give people a reason to interact with you. You develop a history, status, and become part of the local color. These roles will have a lot of churn, usually, but again it's a reason for people to come see you instead of being Yet Another Adventurer #9627.

What people are looking for is green dots and most will go where they are, even if the administration is crappy, because rp is about being with other people. It takes a very dedicated core to stay on and be bored when no one is around, to provide that interaction.
Cristalle is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
Proud 1920s Berliner

Traveling trough time.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2/20/2009
Business: Weimar!
Client: Firestorm
1920s Berlin has been doing very very well for over 8 years now.
A thriving active community, every rental pretty much rented all the time, regular events but above all; people call it home.
They love their homes and enjoy being there and just doing the mundane things like having a beer at the local pub, going to the park, visiting neighbours etc.

Why Berlin with its very niche subject doe so well is a combination of many things.
I'm not sure what exactly it is, but me being the only owner and being involved in the running with it all the time, probably plays a big part in it.
I'm there, almost all the time.
This is almost a full time job for me.
People know where to find me, I get back to them soon, etc.
Of course I have people helping me out without whom the job might be too much to handle, but to the people of Berlin it might be nice to think that the owner actually loves the sim as well and enjoys hanging out there.
And Come visit Berlin in the 1920s;
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/1920s%20Berlin%20Project/242/222/1929
My blog;
http://joyardley.wordpress.com/
Frau Yardley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This: