Facebook is Dead and Buried, study finds - Page 2 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Facebook is Dead and Buried, study finds

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility View Post
So you traded one forced standard with another, more expensive forced standard?

Yay?
You do realize both Linux and the latest version of OSX are free, right?

As to the hardware, that is debatable. Not only total cost of ownership but you need to factor in the reliability of the components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathiee View Post
Why? Don't like me ban me
Kara Spengler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #27 (permalink)
Novice Harpist

*SLU Supporter*

Thumbs Up Sweetie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: November, 2003
I did not realize the latest version of OSX was free.
[16:43] Vinney Lorenz: unban me and give me my land, or i will get u in front of the courtyard
Khamon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

future girl from the past

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008
Client: V3 w/Starlight

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Send a message via Skype™ to Free Xue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamon View Post
I did not realize the latest version of OSX was free.
Only if you have a Mac running OSX 10.6.8 or later. Or you go buy one. So *sort of* free, based on conditions.

I blame Al Gore.
[confused cats against feminism]
la lucha sigue...
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

MotoXexual

I don't even understand Facebook. I might as well be looking at hieroglyphs when I'm looking at a Facebook page.

Ishina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Account Closed

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Spengler View Post
You do realize both Linux and the latest version of OSX are free, right?

As to the hardware, that is debatable. Not only total cost of ownership but you need to factor in the reliability of the components.
Well, Linux in most forms is free, but its real appeal is that it is open source.

I had no clue that OSX is "free" but that is mainly because I don't own an Apple. Out of curiosity, I googled "OSX is free?" and I got this as the top result:

No, OS X isn't free -- but that might not matter for Microsoft | Common Sense Tech - CNET News

I guess Apple can legally say that OSX is free, but its not free free. You need to own an Apple computer with a recent apple OS version, which is something you cannot build yourself, like you can do for a PC.

Linux is as free as it gets, no strings attached. OSX is just deferring the cost through the mandatory cost of the Apple computer (which can only be built by Apple). I could say Windows is "free" if I were to just add in a couple hundred bucks extra into my initial PC build budget, since I wouldn't have to come up with any extra money later on. However, the reality is that I just deferred the cost up front with the purchase of my PC.

Can't say I have any reliability issues either with my PC builds. I tend to build a new computer every 5 years or so, upgrading various components whenever I feel like it. I have two PC's in my place now, the most recent build (~2010, it literally loads up in 30 seconds, from pushing the power button to being ready to run programs; gotta love SSDs) and the prior build, both running fine. A windows OS usually runs about $100 for an OEM version, so really I could do what Apple is doing for the next three windows versions and still be significantly less than an Apple computer.
Tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
You need to own an Apple computer with a recent apple OS version, which is something you cannot build yourself, like you can do for a PC.
How to Build Your Own Hackintosh Mac Pro | Premiumbeat.com
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
FIC Has-been

Impertinent, ill-nurtured, hedge-pig

SL Join Date: 05/20/2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Nagy View Post
I just checked, FB is still there.
Yeah, I saw Facebook on a porch swing with MySpace. They looked happy together.
Teeny Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #33 (permalink)
Account Closed

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Xue View Post
I stand corrected. Apple is becoming more and more like a PC as time progresses.
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #34 (permalink)
Thorny yet fuzzy

Oh, I zigs and I zags; I tos and I fros

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
I can't remember the last time I posted on FB. Might have something to do with the fact that several friends and family members who lean hard-right, and are vocal about it, discovered FB a couple of years ago, and now think they are Masters of the Internets. You know, posting inspirational Jesus pics, blaming Obama (who I have problems with myself) for every problem that has plagued the world since WWII, photos of their gun safes (with Christmas stockings hung from them-- no, I'm not kidding), and photos of their grade-school kids holding AR-15s (nothing like using your children as political pawns, for all to see). Don't get me wrong, I'm a gun-totin' liberal, an Army vet, and a life-long hunter, it's just that my entire purpose in life can't be distilled down to hot-button issues, and maybe I recognize that firearms regulation != "gun grabbing/banning".

No wonder I avoid spending the holidays with them. Bleh.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #35 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
Only if you have a Mac running OSX 10.6.8 or later. Or you go buy one. So *sort of* free, based on conditions.

I blame Al Gore.
That is just to run the installer as an application. You can still download it for free before 10.6.8 but it requires a few more hoops to get it installed. Just ask the hackintosh users.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Quote:
You need to own an Apple computer with a recent apple OS version, which is something you cannot build yourself, like you can do for a PC.
Survey says ... BZZT!

Google hackintosh.

As to cost of hardware ... that is debatable. Can you run windows on lower cost hardware? Of course. Is it a good idea? No way. When I buy drives or whatever I prefer to go with ones that are proven reliable rather than what is the cheapest. I could have gone with a less expensive SSD but I cared about longetivity more than cost.

So yes, apple branded hardware is more expensive than the cheapest pc hardware. It is pretty comparable to (some even say lower cost than) equivalent PC builds though.

One big caveat: NEVER buy apple memory for a user-accessible slot. I think they jack it up because some users are afraid of installing it themselves.

Last edited by Kara Spengler; 01-06-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
Account Closed

My Mood:
Quote:
Survey says ... BZZT!

Google hackintosh.

As to cost of hardware ... that is debatable. Can you run windows on lower cost hardware? Of course. Is it a good idea? No way. When I buy drives or whatever I prefer to go with ones that are proven reliable rather than what is the cheapest. I could have gone with a less expensive SSD but I cared about longetivity more than cost.

So yes, apple branded hardware is more expensive than the cheapest pc hardware. It is pretty comparable to (some even say lower cost than) equivalent PC builds though.

One big caveat: NEVER buy apple memory for a user-accessible slot. I think they jack it up because some users are afraid of installing it themselves.
Gonna go with "You're three days late and I already responded to that", Steve.

Steve Harvey: Show me "Three days late"

Survey says.....DING!

Quote:
Also, why would you compare Apple to the cheapest PC hardware? Trying to make Apple look good by comparing it to the cheapest junk out there?

I don't buy the cheapest components possible. If I wanted to do that, I could just grab any pre-fabricated PC for $400 and say I saved thousands of dollars over an Apple. Even the lifehacker hackintosh build doesn't spec out the cheapest hardware. Not sure anyone but an Apple owner would refer to a $2,000 hackintosh PC as "cheap". All of the components in the link Free posted for the Hackintosh build are quality, name brand, comparable components. They aren't using cheap, no-name, shady quality components. The only one that isn't very comparable is the actual pro build, but the reason is due to lifehacker's opinion that 12 cores / 2 processors is overkill in most situations.

I personally use Newegg and rely heavily on user ratings, not price. My current PC has similar or better specs than the pro hackintosh build, with many of the same name-brand components, including the i7. My PC's last for years and I have never had a component die on me, save for one graphics card (some of that track record can be considered luck, but mostly it is because of choosing quality components). My upgrades have always been optional to increase the performance, not mandatory to replace a bad component. I have hard drives that are well over 15 years old that are working just fine. My current SSD is mainly just for my OS, the rest of the storage are standard hard drives. Apparently, the only reason I don't have a hackintosh is because I don't run OSX.

That is all beyond the fact that the OSX isn't free except for people who own an apple mac with a recent OSX, or have hacked their hackintosh to make it look like they have a legitimate mac (as far as I can tell...so not much different than pirating a version of windows OS). So again, Apple only offers the "free" OSX upgrade to people who have bought their computers.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
[x]reset

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 04/06/2008
Business: All Things Aley!
Client: Singularity 1.8.3
Quote:

I have a 2011 imac with user accessible RAM slots -are you saying I can pick up whatever ram off of new-egg and pop it in there?
Han Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #39 (permalink)
Account Closed

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Held View Post
I have a 2011 imac with user accessible RAM slots -are you saying I can pick up whatever ram off of new-egg and pop it in there?
RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com

Can use that to find exactly what will work in your imac and, if you want, head over to newegg and buy something cheaper (though newegg also sells crucial).
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #40 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

LLvangelist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/12/2006
Business: [H]arsh Styles
Client: Always changing, and too lazy to edit.
This thread is about dancing on Facebook's grave, not Macs!

The truth doesn't care if you agree with it or disagree with it. It continues to be regardless, unchanged. Denying the truth is only lying to yourself. - Darien Caldwell
Darien Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #41 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
That's all folks.

My Mood:
Facebook is as dead as SL.
It will float around for years and years to come as long as there is a dollar to be made from it.
Sid Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 01-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #42 (permalink)
Mostly Quietly Reading

Twerking? That's the thing to do right?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10/27/2008
Business: Have none.
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via Skype™ to Just Jenny
The only good thing on Facebook is George Takei.
Just Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #43 (permalink)

lurking for the most part

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien Caldwell View Post
This thread is about dancing on Facebook's grave, not Macs!
And if I care so little that I was only reminded when I saw the thread?

I have to wonder if I should just wipe my FB account... or just treat it as another /dev/null
Ashiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:20 AM   #44 (permalink)
Cem Arkady

still chewing through the straps

My Mood:
SL Join Date: originally in 2006
I've had a FB account for years, although I just use it these days for entertainment and keeping in touch with family, who are spread all over the globe..........If it wasn't for the fact that my family were so distant, I would probably bin it. Most of the groups and posts are on another planet and the FB settings are terribly confusing, even to PC savvy folks. Ditto twitter and other social medias.......I am looking at starting an old man blog

'Dad, how will I ever find the right girl for me?'...'Son, concentrate on being the right man, and she'll find you.
Fox Marchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Not a Shark.

Greymuzzle

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2009
Client: SL Viewer, sometimes Singularity
Quote:
Facebook is as dead as SL.
It will float around for years and years to come as long as there is a dollar to be made from it.
It's because of Facebook that I find out about really important news. . .like the woman who stabbed the guy with the squirrel.

And that more people are attacked by cows every year, than by sharks.

This is life-altering stuff! I need to keep myself informed about things like this!

Don't take that away from me!
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #46 (permalink)
Music Lover

*SLU Supporter*

me

SL Join Date: Oct 24 2003
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
I just checked, FB is still there.
I just checked, myspace is still there, geocities isn't.
Essence Lumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence Lumin View Post
I just checked, myspace is still there, geocities isn't.
Some of it is still there. You just can't make more.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #48 (permalink)
Music Lover

*SLU Supporter*

me

SL Join Date: Oct 24 2003
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Some of it is still there. You just can't make more.
Humph. Your right. My old page is gone though.
Essence Lumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #49 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*
That's all folks.

My Mood:
If there was no FB, I would probably have missed this scientific research completely:

Last edited by Sid Nagy; 01-14-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Sid Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #50 (permalink)

Funky

Client: Nirans, FS, Exodus, Dolphin, Catznip
I think Facebook's troubles began when they embarked on a two pronged plan that A: Repeatedly made their product harder and harder to use, and B: Giving their customers less and less control over how their personal information is used. Either would leave the typical business expert scratching their head, but both would be considered suicide. However, Facebook has also managed to create a "brand" that gives them a false impression of necessity than really exists.
Soda Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed: