Truckers Plan To Shut Down DC - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Truckers Plan To Shut Down DC

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
Getting richer by the hour!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: in the days of old when knights were bold and before prims were invented
Business: Fazuku Brand
Client: Avination Veiwer, Singularity Alpha
Truckers Plan To Shut Down DC

D.C. Shutdown Is Full-Speed Ahead, Say Organizers of Trucker Protest - US News and World Report
Yoshiko Fazuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Annoying Crazy Midbie

Just Sans

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2005
Client: 3.3.1.something
Send a message via Yahoo to Sansarya
It's rather a scary proposition they have going there:

Quote:
D.C. Shutdown Is Full-Speed Ahead, Say Organizers of Trucker Protest
'The shutdown is actually a traffic jam,' explains former country music star, who offers to cancel ride if Obama is impeached

By STEVEN NELSON
September 30, 2013

A mass truck convoy congests roadways on July 4, 2008, in Wellington, New Zealand. Some American truckers are planning a similar nationwide protest on Oct. 11-13, 2013.
There may or may not be a government shutdown in October, but truckers are heading toward Washington, D.C., regardless, aiming to shut the city down themselves.

"The shutdown is actually a traffic jam," former country music star and event organizer Zeeda Andrews told U.S. News. "This is a three-day traffic jam."

Andrews, a former spokesmodel for Mack Trucks, says around 3,000 truckers are planning to zoom through and around Washington, D.C., beginning Oct. 11.

There are two distinct issues at hand. The first is a range of frustrations experienced by independent truck drivers not employed by a large company or affiliated with a union.

But the truckers are also targeting President Barack Obama and the nation's political leadership. A list of demands addressing "corruption against our Constitution" will be delivered to lawmakers before the ride, Andrews said, and lawmakers can spare D.C.-area residents the traffic jam if they agree to them.

The hitch: one of those demands is that Obama be removed from office, a request the organizers find perfectly reasonable. Obama committed treason by allegedly funneling weapons from Benghazi, Libya, to al-Qaida-linked Syrian rebels, said online radio host Peter Santilli, who is heading up a parallel protest in California.

"Originally the sheer symbolism of the truckers riding into Washington, D.C., was powerful and a great photo opportunity, but this thing has further evolved," Santilli said.

The organizers are also upset by a 2012 provision in the National Defense Authorization Act, which authorizes the president to indefinitely detain Americans without trial, and Obama's health care reform law.

Since advertising the ride on social media, Andrews said, interest has exploded.

"Obama said last week it's my way or the highway, and the people are choosing the highway," she said. "It's viral, it's like a fire, it's burning out of control [and] people really want to help because their issues are the same as the truckers are having. ... All Americans and all truckers agree on one thing: Barack Obama is a threat to American safety."
(is she trying to take a leaf from the rhetoric of Mockingjay?)
Sansarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Client: Firestorm
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
From the article:

"But the truckers are also targeting President Barack Obama and the nation's political leadership. A list of demands addressing "corruption against our Constitution" will be delivered to lawmakers before the ride, Andrews said, and lawmakers can spare D.C.-area residents the traffic jam if they agree to them."

Don't these truckers know that driving to D.C. can be deadly these days?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...Time to die.-Roy Batty
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
And you know that

Play the game

My Mood:
SL Join Date: February 2005
Send a message via MSN to bladyblue Send a message via Yahoo to bladyblue Send a message via Skype™ to bladyblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansarya View Post
It's rather a scary proposition they have going there
The say the current President is a threat to American safety. But do they expect to be able to commit treason and lynch him on the White House lawn? This isn't Egypt. people gathering and screaming doesn't over throw a government here.

These people have no real plan. By the time they can get a good impeachment going he would be retired anyway.
bladyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Provincial Sharia-slun

Jesus is coming. Look busy!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
3.000 independent truck drivers agreeing on anything more substantial than "Obama! Black! House! White! "

Yeah. Right.

U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 10-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
FIC Has-been

Impertinent, ill-nurtured, hedge-pig

SL Join Date: 05/20/2003
This will not go well. You don't pick on a President in a city full of his biggest supporters. I bet they cancel the thing and make up a lame excuse.
Teeny Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
My Own Girl

*SLU Supporter*

Fortitude and attitude...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 30, 2009
Quote:
"The shutdown is actually a traffic jam," former country music star and event organizer Zeeda Andrews told U.S. News. "This is a three-day traffic jam."

Andrews, a former spokesmodel for Mack Trucks, says around 3,000 truckers are planning to zoom through and around Washington, D.C., beginning Oct. 11.
And this will be noticeably different to the average DC commuter, how?
Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Shiny Shenaniganator

*SLU Supporter*

Stop dragon my heart around

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Sept. 2007
Business: Avatar Bizarre
Client: Crash-o-Matic 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanne Blue View Post
And this will be noticeably different to the average DC commuter, how?

More honking, bottles of urine on the side of the road, and Diesel smoke?
Sredni Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
bunneh extraordinaire

Can't sleep, furries will eat me..

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08/16/2004
Business: nunyuh
Send a message via AIM to Fox Stirling
Someone should thank these truckers for their generous donation of 3000 rigs. Say, what's a used rig going for these days anyway?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Fox Stirling is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 10-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Provincial Sharia-slun

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Stirling View Post
...a used rig ...
I find this suggestive.

Wut.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
'cause yeah

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/27/2009
Business: Yes My Love
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
3.000 independent truck drivers agreeing on anything more substantial than "Obama! Black! House! White! "

Yeah. Right.
Not everyone who doesn't like Obama doesn't like him because he's black. I personally feel he could be doing better (though perhaps not entrely his fault as it's an overwhelmingly bad situation) my mother feels the same. But we don't like him based on how we feel he's doing not on his skin color. We shouldn't really assume that's there reasoning. Not to say what their planning is right... or going to be effective...because it's not.
madelineblackbart is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 10-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
Provincial Sharia-slun

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madelineblackbart View Post
Not everyone who doesn't like Obama doesn't like him because he's black. I personally feel he could be doing better (though perhaps not entrely his fault as it's an overwhelmingly bad situation) my mother feels the same. But we don't like him based on how we feel he's doing not on his skin color. We shouldn't really assume that's there reasoning. Not to say what their planning is right... or going to be effective...because it's not.
Tell ya what.

Go to Wally World and get a cheap CB radio. Tune it to channel 19, the trucker channel.

Then get back to me.
1 User Laughed:
Old 10-06-2013, 01:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Duke of Chanwood

is driving along. Noonynoonynoo...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 7/12/2007
Client: Usually Singularity, sometimes Firestorm.
Quote:

I generally don't like the decisions Obama made. Couldn't care less what skin color he has. I didn't like most of the decisions Dubya made either.

If I cared at all about Obama's "race" (depending on how you define his ethnicity), it was an initial feeling of relief. I figured if we finally had a "black president", maybe everyone would shut the hell up about it already and get on with things. Maybe even stop caring about "race" altogether.

Boy, was I wrong on that account. Oh well.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

DEUS EST HOMO

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007-08-17
Client: Viewer Development
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
Go to Wally World and get a cheap CB radio. Tune it to channel 19, the trucker channel.

Ch 19 is about as representative of truckers as 4chan is representative of internet users.

10-4 good buddy
Old 10-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
An Avatar for All Regions

*SLU Supporter*

Totally Self-Sufficient

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 1/27/2008

Awards: 2
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Madeline and Andor - I think you're missing a turn when you try to support the idea that we can't know if racism is at play, just because you two probably have reasoned arguments against Obama's policies but don't hate him for being black.

Think of the distance from the Earth to the Moon. Metaphorically, that is the distance between your criticisms of Obama and people who believe and state openly that he is a traitor, not legitimately president, not a citizen, and the one man who they believe can dismantle the nation in a few years.

When you start saying anything like that, I will point and yell "racists!" Until then, I'll point it where it belongs. And it belongs with the people we are talking about here.

Please to not defend them in a tangential defense of your own opinions of Obama. It cheapens you and supports them in a way they don't deserve.

L$2

“The dinosaurs died so that chat rooms may flourish”
― Tom Robbins, Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."
- Abraham Lincoln
Bard Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Likes This:
Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Duke of Chanwood

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard Jameson View Post
Madeline and Andor - I think you're missing a turn when you try to support the idea that we can't know if racism is at play, just because you two probably have reasoned arguments against Obama's policies but don't hate him for being black.

Think of the distance from the Earth to the Moon. Metaphorically, that is the distance between your criticisms of Obama and people who believe and state openly that he is a traitor, not legitimately president, not a citizen, and the one man who they believe can dismantle the nation in a few years.

When you start saying anything like that, I will point and yell "racists!" Until then, I'll point it where it belongs. And it belongs with the people we are talking about here.

Please to not defend them in a tangential defense of your own opinions of Obama. It cheapens you and supports them in a way they don't deserve.

L$2

Ahhhh...I see what you're saying, but let me clarify. I am NOT saying that there's no such thing as racism. I also didn't say that racism isn't at play here, or that we can't know if it is.

My only point in that, and I apologize if I wasn't clear in stating it, is that not everyone who criticizes or disagrees with Obama is racially motivated.

Sadly, you are correct in that some (I have no idea how much, and I do believe there's no way to truly know how much) of that criticism is racist in nature. I've heard the comments, too, and they make me angry and sad.
Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Thorny yet fuzzy

Oh, I zigs and I zags; I tos and I fros

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 2003
So say the benefactors of the successful lobbying of Firestone, GM, Phillips Oil, Mack Trucks, and the former Standard Oil company, after they bribed local officials in cities all across the nation to shit-can rail transportation, both freight and passenger, and replace it with trucks and buses, despite the glaring efficiency difference.

ETA: Yeah, that's a check he is handing him, while an up-righted Minneapolis street-car burns in the background. Everything old is new again.

Last edited by Briar Bing; 10-06-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Briar Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
Diesel is like $4 a gallon right? This seems like a really expensive protest. What about a sternly worded letter?
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #19 (permalink)
Thorny yet fuzzy

My Mood:
Quote:
"we" again. Sigh. Look, WE don't agree, so why do you continue to use that word? It's evident, you know, that you're trying very hard to portray yourself as without bias, but you're failing miserably. Are you old enough to know how long it took Reagan to recover from a recession that was born of the bills we had to pay for the Viet Nam war? And of course, they tried to blame Carter for the economy, but he handed off basically the same economy to Reagan that Ford (Nixon) left HIM. But it was all Carter's fault. See the pattern yet?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Duke of Chanwood

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
"we" again. Sigh. Look, WE don't agree, so why do you continue to use that word? It's evident, you know, that you're trying very hard to come of as without bias, but you're failing miserably. Are you old enough to know how long it took Reagan to recover from a recession that was born of the bills we had to pay for the Viet Nam war? And of course, they tried to blame Carter for the economy, but he handed off basically the same economy to Reagan that Ford (Nixon) left HIM. But it was all Carter's fault. See the pattern yet?

Not being snarky, but I'm curious as to how that relates to the question of racism...or are you addressing another point? I might just be tired...sorry if I'm missing something, it's late here.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
Thorny yet fuzzy

My Mood:
I can't quantify racism, nor can any of us. The thread title doesn't mention it, which is why I didn't go there. Why am I suppose to talk about racism?

I simply pointed out that conservatives seem to expect liberals to fix the economy NOW, and that they tend to give themselves a lot more leeway. Obama was a failure before he took office, according to a lot of right-wingers. I know that you're bright, it's more than evident in your posts, so what are your feelings about this?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
FIC Has-been

Impertinent, ill-nurtured, hedge-pig

SL Join Date: 05/20/2003
Quote:
But the truckers are also targeting President Barack Obama and the nation's political leadership. A list of demands addressing "corruption against our Constitution" will be delivered to lawmakers before the ride, Andrews said, and lawmakers can spare D.C.-area residents the traffic jam if they agree to them.

The hitch: one of those demands is that Obama be removed from office, a request the organizers find perfectly reasonable. Obama committed treason by allegedly funneling weapons from Benghazi, Libya, to al-Qaida-linked Syrian rebels, said online radio host Peter Santilli, who is heading up a parallel protest in California.
So they are against alleged "corruption against our Constitution", but threatening to disrupt traffic in DC unless the President is IMMEDIATELY removed from office isn't corrupt? Were they awake during the weeks it took to just impeach Clinton? On top of that, they form a ridiculous theory about Benghazi which has zero basis in fact or truth. Yeah, I bet those suffering truckers will burn lots of gas not making money on a protest that will never accomplish their stated goals. Unlike the fools on Capitol Hill, these guys will not get paid while protesting.

BTW, since they are ditching their trailers for a day, someone might get lucky and pick up some free groceries, a few dozen new flat screens, or maybe a new ride or four.
Teeny Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #23 (permalink)
Duke of Chanwood

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Bing View Post
I can't quantify racism, nor can any of us. The thread title doesn't mention it, which is why I didn't go there. Why am I suppose to talk about racism?

I simply pointed out that conservatives seem to expect liberals to fix the economy NOW, and that they tend to give themselves a lot more leeway. Obama was a failure before he took office, according to a lot of right-wingers. I know that you're bright, it's more than evident in your posts, so what are your feelings about this?

Gotcha...no relation to race. As I said...sleepy...lol.

My feelings about fixing the economy are: it's not going to be fixed anytime soon, by anyone. It didn't happen quickly, and it's not going to be fixed quickly, or without significant sacrifice. Sacrifice on everyone's part...the rich, the poor, middle-class...and the "ruling class" as well. They might have to risk their jobs to cut out some porkbellying, if they're serious about fixing things.

As for how I feel about Obama's chances before he started: I agree, I think he had an uphill battle. If Hillary is elected in 2016, she'll have an uphill battle. If Ron Paul is elected, he'll have an uphill battle. If George Washington returns from the grave and takes office, he'll have an uphill battle. I think congress is partisan to the point of being deadlocked, at this point.

I can only speak for my personal reasons: I though Obama promised too much, without discussing a lot about how he was going to accomplish things. It sounded to me like he was saying what needed to be said to appease the majority. Then again, all politicians do that...I just didn't think he was going to be the "great hope and change" he said he was going to be. But the Republicans didn't put up anyone I particularly wanted either...I just stuck with Libertarian (and even he wasn't exactly what I wanted, just closer than the other two.)

I don't think Obama is as bad as the Republican party paints him out to be. I don't think he's "unqualified" for office based on his birth location...that train's left the station by now, and it needs to be dropped. If that's the best reason to impeach him, then forget it.

Conversely, I don't think Dubya is as bad as the Democrats paint him, either. I don't miss him, though. I honestly don't know who I liked less out of the two...quite possibly, I would rank Obama over Bush Jr.

Whether or not all that makes him a "failure"....eh, not really. It means he's enacted some items, and performed some actions, I either disagree with or find objectionable. But this mess isn't all on him...far from it. But that doesn't make him a failure. He did manage to accomplish some of his goals, and since he was elected by a majority, that means he did some things the country, as a whole, wanted him to do. Just because they may not be things I want personally doesn't mark it as a failure.

Not sure if that answered your question, but I hope it at least clarifies.
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Thorny yet fuzzy

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andor View Post
Gotcha...no relation to race. As I said...sleepy...lol.

My feelings about fixing the economy are: it's not going to be fixed anytime soon, by anyone. It didn't happen quickly, and it's not going to be fixed quickly, or without significant sacrifice. Sacrifice on everyone's part...the rich, the poor, middle-class...and the "ruling class" as well. They might have to risk their jobs to cut out some porkbellying, if they're serious about fixing things.

As for how I feel about Obama's chances before he started: I agree, I think he had an uphill battle. If Hillary is elected in 2016, she'll have an uphill battle. If Ron Paul is elected, he'll have an uphill battle. If George Washington returns from the grave and takes office, he'll have an uphill battle. I think congress is partisan to the point of being deadlocked, at this point.

I can only speak for my personal reasons: I though Obama promised too much, without discussing a lot about how he was going to accomplish things. It sounded to me like he was saying what needed to be said to appease the majority. Then again, all politicians do that...I just didn't think he was going to be the "great hope and change" he said he was going to be. But the Republicans didn't put up anyone I particularly wanted either...I just stuck with Libertarian (and even he wasn't exactly what I wanted, just closer than the other two.)

I don't think Obama is as bad as the Republican party paints him out to be. I don't think he's "unqualified" for office based on his birth location...that train's left the station by now, and it needs to be dropped. If that's the best reason to impeach him, then forget it.

Conversely, I don't think Dubya is as bad as the Democrats paint him, either. I don't miss him, though. I honestly don't know who I liked less out of the two...quite possibly, I would rank Obama over Bush Jr.

Whether or not all that makes him a "failure"....eh, not really. It means he's enacted some items, and performed some actions, I either disagree with or find objectionable. But this mess isn't all on him...far from it. But that doesn't make him a failure. He did manage to accomplish some of his goals, and since he was elected by a majority, that means he did some things the country, as a whole, wanted him to do. Just because they may not be things I want personally doesn't mark it as a failure.

Not sure if that answered your question, but I hope it at least clarifies.
You and I agree a lot more than we probably both realize, and I'm sorry for patronizing you and calling you "son" (although I'm probably a lot older than you imagine-- not that it makes a difference) in that other thread. It was uncalled for.

I've been disappointed by some of Obama's decisions too, and I think he made himself more assailable by making "Obamacare" his signature achievement, but I also think that makes him brave, because he certainly understood that it might break his candidacy and his subsequent administration. Presidents have been trying, since FDR, so it's remarkable, IMO.
2 Users Said Thanks :
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
I like Mainland

Mostly Harmless

My Mood:
SL Join Date: March 4, 2007
Who do these guys think they are Tea Party members of the House of Representatives?
Baroness Menchor, the Deadly, of the Great Army of the Invincible Infidel, Whose Great Swarms of Evil and Horror Laid Waste to the Souls of a Million True Believers and Left Their Souls Rotting in the Summer Sun for the Buzzards to to Ravish as Their Souls Sunk to the Depths of Torment and Hopelessness, Abandoned by Their Gods.

Youth and strength can almost always be overcome by old age and treachery
Menchor Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed: