March Against Monsanto Has Huge Turnout - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » March Against Monsanto Has Huge Turnout

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

Driver Roll Up The Partition Please

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
March Against Monsanto Has Huge Turnout

Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto - AP State News - The Sacramento Bee

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
For all I care, Monsanto and their psychopathic ilk could be closed down immediately. Shut'em down, put the ones responsible in jail, grind their laboraties and their abominations to the ground, revoke all patents and rights on their abominations, burn their documentations so that nobody can repeat them so, seize their capital and profits. There should be made an example on Monsanto so that none of their ilk tried the same again.

The only allowed methods of genetic modification of food and animal feed should be crossbreeding and hybridization, nothing else, everywhere, for all times.

In my opinion, the ideal status quo would be if ALL Food (and animal feed of course) without any exception, were produced as natural as possible. With enough place for the animals, with no destruction of forests to create huge fields of stuff that's not growing there naturally, with feeding animals only what they naturally eat, etc. No industrial standards for size, bendedness, color etc for fruit and vegetables, no industrial standards for fat or muscle etc for meat. Not even chemical additions to food for taste, color or whatever. PURELY NATURAL.

What is "real", what's "virtual"?

Last edited by eighthdwarf Checchinato; 05-26-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: clarification of my 2nd paragraph
eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
2 Users Laughed:
1 User Disagreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Always on the Outside... looking In

SL Join Date: April 2004
Business: Firestorm Support
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
The Biotechnology Industry Organization, a lobbying group that represents Monsanto, DuPont & Co. and other makers of genetically modified seeds, has said that it supports voluntary labeling for people who seek out such products. But it says that mandatory labeling would only mislead or confuse consumers into thinking the products aren't safe, even though the FDA has said there's no difference between GMO and organic, non-GMO foods.

Quote:
The FDA’s Deputy Commissioner for Foods, Michael Taylor, said that colas from the 1950s were the only items ever approved to have added caffeine by the FDA. The FDA has reportedly met with several large food companies such as Mars Inc. to discuss their concerns.

“It is disturbing. We’re concerned about whether they have been adequately evaluated,” said Taylor.

Ironically, the main concern for most food safety advocates is genetically-modified foods (GMO), which Taylor has a long history of supporting.

Taylor was not only a lawyer who represented the GMO giant Monsanto, who are most known for producing such poisons as Agent Orange, but later became Monsanto’s Vice President for Public Policy before being appointed to the USDA and later the FDA a second time under President Obama.

Despite the release of secret documents from the early 1990s showing the FDA’s extreme concern over safety issues regarding GMOs initially, Taylor went on to help approve GMOs for human consumption while alleging their safety.

FDA 'concern' over caffeinated food prompts investigation, still ignoring GMOs | The Daily Sheeple
Granted, I know nothing about the website the above quoted article is on, however, it does show what I have known since the 90s and the documents it references are here: Index: Key FDA Documents Revealing Hazards of Genetically Engineered Foods

This isn't the first time the FDA has approved a food or drug for human consumption that is actually quite harmful and it won't be the last. I blame the lobbyists and the control freaks (Corporate America).

People jump all in my shit for saying there are too many people on the planet and that the planet can't support the huge population. If this were not true then why do we need GOMs? Why do we need artifically engineered crops to increase yield?

It took the First Nations peoples thousands of years to develop teosinte into maize (corn), a healthy, safe (relatively) food source.

Bleh. This whole thing of forcing me to eat genetically engineered foods (when I grew up on non-genetically engineered foods) is not only replusive to me, it really pisses me off. I don't want their crap. I want what I know to be good, healthy, wholesome, and safe (relatively) foods. The kind of food I grew up eating.
"All rocks go to Heaven." ~ Our Lady of Martyrs Catholic Church
“Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you.” ~ Kahlil Gibral

Last edited by WolfEyes; 05-26-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: clarity
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
CEO Fallen Angel Designs

sutatS tidE

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Late 2006
Business: Fallen Angel Designs
Client: Firestorm 4
"huge turnout"... the only numbers they gave in the article added up to 7380.

Someone seems to have redefined "huge".

Did they make a mistake and count that protest in Paris, too?

Lloyd Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 05-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tired

*SLU Supporter*

Watery

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/28/2005
Just waiting for someone to come along and say there are things in this world more evil than Monsanto. Perhaps, but the protests are the outcome of a huge PR fail at the very least. While the sociopaths that head up most corporations don't seem to be teachable, perhaps the politicians and policy makers will listen up. The public expects everything in the food supply to be subject to review, transparency, and accurate labeling. I think this is perfectly fair.

I don't personally pay much attention to whether what I eat is GMO or not - but I'd like MUCH better review processes than we have now, and better science.
Brenda Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Newman View Post

From the article:

Quote:
Organizers said "March Against Monsanto" protests were held in 52 countries and 436 cities,
The title of the article is "Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto".

The 7380 figure you came up with would have been for the US alone, 6000 of which were in Portland OR, a mere 7 miles from where I live.
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

SL Join Date: September 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Archer View Post
I don't personally pay much attention to whether what I eat is GMO or not - but I'd like MUCH better review processes than we have now, and better science.
For myself I don't even care if GMO is safe. I hate that they sue farmers for saving seed, and that their product interferes with organic growing, and that they compound the problem by suing farmers who inadvertently, and destructively, end up with their product growing in their fields. Sue the victims. Evil bastards.
Anya Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

hey Ceka look here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya Ristow View Post
For myself I don't even care if GMO is safe. I hate that they sue farmers for saving seed, and that their product interferes with organic growing, and that they compound the problem by suing farmers who inadvertently, and destructively, end up with their product growing in their fields. Sue the victims. Evil bastards.
that is my big problem with monsanto..
the way they go after the farmers.

they tried to make us by buy a license from them on our farm..
we only grow organic..and our crops are just for our livestock..
the local coop ended up sending the wrong seed and we planted it and it got mixed in with our organic crop..
then not two weeks later they ended up calling us about a license..
for only two bags of seed..

we were almost finished planting..

after a lot of arguing we had agreed to where we would only have to buy a license for that season..

we ended up having to store that fields take in a total different place so it didn't mix in with our other corn cribs..

we're not a big farm when it comes to planting..we just grow enough for us and the livestock..

i'm sure if we were bigger we would have really been screwed..
Ceka Cianci is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
CEO Fallen Angel Designs

sutatS tidE

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
From the article:

The title of the article is "Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto".

The 7380 figure you came up with would have been for the US alone, 6000 of which were in Portland OR, a mere 7 miles from where I live.
Oddly enough, there wasn't one single number given for all those other marches "across the globe". Not one. So, the use of the word "huge" is still very questionable, at best.

Even 6000 people in one city the size of Portland is far from "huge", and given the turnouts listed in other US towns (only 1380 for the REST OF THE COUNTRY? Really? That's only an average of 28 people per STATE in the other states!), well, it seems the turnout worldwide is hardly likely to qualify as "huge"... especially since there weren't numbers given for a single venue outside the US. The one place they had an opportunity to have inserted some numbers about turnout in Argentina... wasn't even a complete sentence:

Quote:
Protesters in Buenos Aires and other cities in Argentina, where Monsanto's genetically modified soy and grains now command nearly 100 percent of the market, and the company's Roundup-Ready chemicals are sprayed throughout the year on fields where cows once grazed. They carried signs saying "Monsanto-Get out of Latin America"
So "huge".... yeah, right. Sounds more like wishful thinking. This isn't a news story, it's a press release by someone pushing their agenda.

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference if you agree or disagree with the protest... this is just piss-poor reporting.
1 User Said Yay!:
1 User Laughed:
Old 05-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Quote:
Oddly enough, there wasn't one single number given for all those other marches "across the globe". Not one. So, the use of the word "huge" is still very questionable, at best.

Even 6000 people in one city the size of Portland is far from "huge", and given the turnouts listed in other US towns (only 1380 for the REST OF THE COUNTRY? Really? That's only an average of 28 people per STATE in the other states!), well, it seems the turnout worldwide is hardly likely to qualify as "huge"... especially since there weren't numbers given for a single venue outside the US. The one place they had an opportunity to have inserted some numbers about turnout in Argentina... wasn't even a complete sentence:

So "huge".... yeah, right. Sounds more like wishful thinking. This isn't a news story, it's a press release by someone pushing their agenda.

So they didn't give numbers for ALL of the rallies held worldwide. Big freakin deal. The article wasn't about the turnout.
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
SLU Fluffer

Cock Chafer

SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Usually Catznip but I dabble in others

Awards: 1
The Penis Handler 
Quote:
So "huge".... yeah, right. Sounds more like wishful thinking.
Hmmm, was the author a man?

pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

hey Ceka look here

My Mood:
from reading the article..they started this group only a few months ago..

and they were not expecting the turnout they had..
this is from the article..

"The 'March Against Monsanto' movement began just a few months ago, when founder and organizer Tami Canal created a Facebook page on Feb. 28 calling for a rally against the company's practices.

"If I had gotten 3,000 people to join me, I would have considered that a success," she said Saturday. Instead, she said an "incredible" number of people responded to her message and turned out to rally.

"It was empowering and inspiring to see so many people, from different walks of life, put aside their differences and come together today," Canal said. The group plans to harness the success of the event to continue its anti-GMO cause.

"We will continue until Monsanto complies with consumer demand. They are poisoning our children, poisoning our planet," she said. "If we don't act, who's going to?"
Ceka Cianci is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Thanks :
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
CEO Fallen Angel Designs

sutatS tidE

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Hmmm, was the author a man?

We don't know... by-line is just "AP".
1 User Laughed:
Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Awards: 1
Most Appropriate  Forum Avatar 
Organizers say 2 million.

Millions march against GM crops | Environment | guardian.co.uk
Io Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
aka Gem

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Zeno View Post
From this article:
Quote:
And supermarket retailer Whole Foods Markets Inc has said that all products in its North American stores containing genetically modified ingredients will be labeled as such by 2018.
While I think it's great - and absolutely necessary - to have such labels on food, I think "by 2018" is way too slow. "... by the end of summer 2013" would have been the only acceptable solution to me.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighthdwarf Checchinato View Post
From this article:
While I think it's great - and absolutely necessary - to have such labels on food, I think "by 2018" is way too slow. "... by the end of summer 2013" would have been the only acceptable solution to me.

It takes a long time because there is a huge expense in changing all the machines and it does take time to change the machines. Of course they could also be pulling a Montgomery Scott.

Kirk: How much refit time before we can take her out again?
Scotty: Eight weeks, sir... but ya don't have eight weeks, so I'll do it for ya in two.
Kirk: Mr. Scott. Have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?
Scotty: Certainly, sir. How else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?
Kirk: Your reputation is secure, Scotty.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
Quote:

There were protests in over 40 countries and hundreds of cities. The Portland protest alone had about 6000 people.

Protesters around the world march against Monsanto

Protest decries Monsanto and genetically modified foods - latimes.com
1 User Hugged You:
Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
There were protests in over 40 countries and hundreds of cities. The Portland protest alone had about 6000 people.

Protesters around the world march against Monsanto

Protest decries Monsanto and genetically modified foods - latimes.com

Yer gettin a wee bit slow in yer old age there Cris...

March Against Monsanto Has Huge Turnout

1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
aka Gem

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfEyes View Post
It takes a long time because there is a huge expense in changing all the machines and it does take time to change the machines.
I doubt it takes that long time to create, print and deliver other labels to place on the food packages.
And it also wouldn't take that much time to find out which supplier sells GMO food and which one sells natural food.
So, food from one supplier would get the label "Made of GMO", or in case of meat, milk or cheese: "The animals this product comes from were fed with GMO" - and food from another supplier would get the label "Natural. No GMO."

I'm pretty sure that - given the price were equal - the food labeled "Natural, no GMO" would sell much better than the food labeled "made of GMO"
2 Users Agreed:
Old 05-27-2013, 01:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
I just saw Lloyd's usual dumb response as I was reading and replied to it.
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 05-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
Hive Mind Director

My Mood:
I don't have a huge problem at all with GMOs. Much of the controversy is overblown. However, Monsanto is a greedy soul sucking morally bankrupt corporation that deserves all the backlash it gets.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighthdwarf Checchinato View Post
I doubt it takes that long time to create, print and deliver other labels to place on the food packages.
And it also wouldn't take that much time to find out which supplier sells GMO food and which one sells natural food.
So, food from one supplier would get the label "Made of GMO", or in case of meat, milk or cheese: "The animals this product comes from were fed with GMO" - and food from another supplier would get the label "Natural. No GMO."

I'm pretty sure that - given the price were equal - the food labeled "Natural, no GMO" would sell much better than the food labeled "made of GMO"

Food processing and packaging for shipment is more complicated than that. A lot depends on whether or not the labeling process is done in-house or by another company and how many locations there are. On top of that it has to meet or exceed FDA and USDA criteria.

There are different kinds of machines for the packaging of different kinds of foods as well. It isn't a one size fits all kind of thing.

Another thing that should be taken into consideration is the length of time it will take for the old labels to disappear from the market once the new ones start coming out.

There really is no way to accomplish what needs to be done in 7 months.

ETA: Here's a couple of links for you.

http://trade.gov/td/ocg/report08_processedfoods.pdf

http://www.manta.com/mb_33_C2_000/food
Manta has 122,577 companies under Food Companies in U.S.

Last edited by WolfEyes; 05-27-2013 at 02:04 AM. Reason: clarity and add urls
Old 05-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Script Kitty

SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
I don't have a huge problem at all with GMOs. Much of the controversy is overblown. However, Monsanto is a greedy soul sucking morally bankrupt corporation that deserves all the backlash it gets.
See, if this were all that the protest were about, it wouldn't bother me. The problem is that too many people choose to mix their political views regarding corporate profits and IP law with biological science. It's no different than when people deny that the Earth's surface temperature is rising because they dislike the idea of reducing carbon emissions.

And this does have very real consequences. When African leaders refuse food aid during famine because it comes from GMO crops, people die. When the EU tells other nations that they won't purchase their crops if they use GMOs, it restricts agricultural options in nations that desperately need to increase their crop yields, and in a worst case scenario could lead to a choice between trade and famine (because even in a famine, a nation dependent upon agriculture will need to sell some crops to get other foodstuffs). At best, it comes across as the same old European colonial attitudes updated for a new century.

And the worst example was the unnecessary stalling and delay tactics used against Golden Rice by wealthy people in developed nations who had no problem letting poor kids die from malnutrition. 500,000 children die each year from vitamin A deficiency. But we don't see it because these are brown-skinned children in nations with no essential trade deals or strategic locations to bring in outside interest. Concern about what the rice might do over the long term ignored the very real knowledge of what is happening right now. And so poor kids are sacrificed to assuage first-world guilt and first-world problems.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
Script Kitty

Oh, and with regards to labelling GMO foods, realistically just about every food product in the USA would have to carry that label. Not because every food product contains GMOs, but because there's very little segregation of supply. A company may be purchasing maize and soybeans and wheat flour from multiple suppliers. They may switch between soybean and canola oil depending on price and availability (this is why many products' ingredient list saying things like "contains one of the following").

So realistically the smartest thing for most companies to do will be to place the GMO tag on all of their products. It's simply too much of a liability to do otherwise, because there are no consequences for using the GMO label if the food does not contain GMOs, but there are consequences for failing to label foods that do contain GMOs.

This is still all secondary to the other big problem: simply having the GMO label on a food product is fairly useless if it doesn't tell you which ingredients came from GMOs and which particular strain were used. Hell, even kosher food labels tell you whether the food contains milk, meat, or neither.
Jahar Aabye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
Script Kitty

One final thing: if you are diabetic and you oppose GMO foods, the only politically consistent stance is for you to commit suicide. All insulin produced in the developed world comes from GMO bacteria. I fail to see why GMOs are acceptable when its your life being saved, but unacceptable when it's a kid on the other side of the world going blind from lack of vitamin A.

That your advocacy of morbidity and mortality stems from political convictions rather than profit motive does not absolve your sins. That you willingly flaunt your own ideals when it's your ass at stake is even worse.
Jahar Aabye is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
1 User Agreed:
1 User Disagreed: