Some People think that they have bad in the United States..... - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Some People think that they have bad in the United States.....

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
GZ Terrorist

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Client: Cool VL
Send a message via Skype™ to Karen
Some People think that they have bad in the United States.....

"
TBILISI, Georgia (AP) — Thousands of anti-gay protesters, including Orthodox priests, occupied a central street in Georgia's capital Friday, with some threatening to lash with stinging nettles any participant in a gay pride parade which was to take place there.
Police in Tbilisi guarded several dozen gay activists and bused them out of the city center shortly after they arrived at the gathering. Those occupying the street held posters reading "We don't need Sodom and Gomorrah!" and "Democracy does not equal immorality!"

Gay pride rally in Georgia derailed

When I hear of someone killing themselves over being called a name in school, I always think (besides how emotionally weak that they are)
"if you think you have it bad here... look at how people are treated in other countries."
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Purple

HEYOO!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
When I hear of someone killing themselves over being called a name in school, I always think (besides how emotionally weak that they are)
"if you think you have it bad here... look at how people are treated in other countries."
Why should somebody care about how things are so much more worse in other countries, if what affects them directly, and ruins aspects of their own life are the (to them) much more real events right around them, which are targetted straight at them?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
asks for the canter

Ninja of love

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 3, 2008
Business: Wandering about in a daze. Tabbing out.
Client: Viewer 2

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in LOLZ 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Ugh.

I doubt anyone kills themselves over being called a name at school. That name-calling was most likely accompanied by despair for the future in a kid who can't imagine a better life, real or feared estrangement from homophobic friends and family, ostracism and bullying at school or fears of both, repeated negative societal messages, and feeling isolated and unacceptable. All of that on a school kid, who is still maturing, generally has experienced little of the world outside school and family, has limited control over her/his own life, and developmentally is prone to be self-conscious, ego-centric, and short-sighted. I think it is pretty crappy to reduce suicide in those situations to simply being emotionally weak.

Yes, some people in other countries are treated terribly. But that does not minimize the difficulty many young gay and lesbian people have here.
Arilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*

Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

The 2 Millionth Post Award 
By the OPs logic, any child who goes to bed hungry should be grateful because they're not starving to death.

"Didn't you know that only a fashion blog could create this much chaos? They are the Large Hadron Colliders of SL drama." -- Arilynn

Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 26, 2008
Business: Shabby Tabby
Client: All of the above
Quote:
What the fuck is wrong with you?
Rosemaery Lorefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
asks for the canter

Ninja of love

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 3, 2008
Business: Wandering about in a daze. Tabbing out.
Client: Viewer 2

Special Achievement in LOLZ 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemaery Lorefield View Post
What the fuck is wrong with you?
At least she is consistent:

Quote:
From Facebook Taking Proactive Stance Against Suicides

I do not know about children these days. I taught my children who graduated from both highschool and their college AA degree in the same week due to being eligible for the running start program and finishing highschool.
One is a councilor who watches over needy children who have supervised visits andthe other steers needy inner city kids towards going to college.
Both were raised in a real world enviroment that would teach them to eat bullies alive.
All of these suicides has me wondering if these children who commit suicide over being called a name or what ever are thin skinned and lived in to much of a protected enviroment.
Like this college professor stated."
college deans described freshmen as "crispies," who arrived at college already burned out, and "teacups," who seemed ready to break at the tiniest stress. "

My children were raised in a tough enviroment and made it as a stronger person today. Most of the children today are thin skinned and have their over protective parents to blame.
I can see an forighn army walking over America in the near future as more and more children are raised weak.
"if you punch me I will sue you" "Omg you called me a bad name.. I am going to sue you or kill myself" So much a bunch of weaklings. No wonder my children looked down on their classmates as a group of weaklings.
Oh yes Josuah can moan and groan and write a book... but in the end, how strong are our children today? Pretty sad if you ask me. Since I am not a hive minder, guess dimblewitz should ban me too
, weak people who cry and run and tell, make me roll my eyes at their weakness.
Arilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

Crabby McCrankyton

My Mood:
SL Join Date: April 2006
Business: [e bar]
Client: FS

SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
When I hear of someone killing themselves over being called a name in school, I always think (besides how emotionally weak that they are) if you think you have it bad here... look at how people are treated in other countries."
*sighs. I don't even know how to fall on this statement, there's so many things wrong with it.

I live in the United States.

And while I have great empathy for what is happening to these brave activists and any other human being in other countries who are oppressed and fighting for the right to simply live their lives; I live HERE. I must target my time, energy and angst to what is happening in MY community in MY home. What is going on halfway across the world is important, but not as important as what is going on in my own backyard.

As for you thinking someone is "weak" for taking their life behind being bullied for being gay (which I assume you mean, if I am wrong please enlighten me), it's not about being called a name one time. Do some damn research before you make an ignorant statement like that.

You can start here:

Preventing Suicide Among LGBTQ Youth | The Trevor Project

Last edited by Ellen Cordeaux; 05-17-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Ellen Cordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Git, Cat!

*SLU Supporter*

I'm a regular Victor Victoria

My Mood:

Without those last few lines, it was actually a good post. So, uh, thanks for the... Article link. At least.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

SL Join Date: Early '06 or late '05, not sure.
Client: Singularity, mostly.
Waste of time.

She's the kind of person, and i use the term loosely, that does the bullies work for them. Without thug lovers like her such idiot child comments would be no more relevant that the vomments on a youtube page.
Gabriell Anatra is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pedantic Geek

SL Join Date: 1/30/2008
Business: Perception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
By the OPs logic
By the OP's logic, the vast majority of people who are suffering aren't really suffering because somebody, somewhere, is suffering more.
Maggiedoll Alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
While I think it's good to have some idea of "what's happening elsewhere", this really should NOT be an excuse to ignore problems with the "right here and now".

But it's painfully common - and way too easy - this attitude of: "oh, stop whining because in country X, thing are worse when it comes to Y".

So? It should NOT mean you just down tools and accept it.

Also, people who speak about How Things Are in the Great Elsewhere often don't have the first idea what things are REALLY like elsewhere anyway.

Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiedoll Alter View Post
By the OP's logic, the vast majority of people who are suffering aren't really suffering because somebody, somewhere, is suffering more.
Exactly.

I get SO angry when, instead of trying to do something where they can, people just need to COMPARE like that.

Suffering is suffering. It shouldn't be subject to some sort of sliding scale of "my problem is bigger than YOUR problem".

Mind, it's pretty easy to sneer at somebody who *seems* to have a minor problem in the great scheme of things, particularly if you (generic you) feel like you're dealing with ten times worse than that that and not whining.
Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 05-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Personally, I completely recognize that I have a far, far more comfortable and peaceful life than billions in the world, and hundreds of millions in the United States. Personally, I understand that of the awful things that may happen to me, none of them compare what so many experience all over the globe. Personally, one of the ways I deal with disappointment or tragedy or trauma is to count my blessings and be thankful for the good things I have.

That does not lead me to judge the tragedies of others, whether they be greater or lesser than any tragedy I have ever suffered, or whether they are greater than or lesser than the average tragedy level in the world.

Just as a matter of faith, I take the warning, "Judge not lest ye be judged," very seriously. I honestly fear that if I start judging the people around me, God may notice me, and reevaluate whether I deserve the comfortable, peaceful life I have. That is, if I could ever be said to deserve it in the first place- I have benefited from so, so many entirely unearned advantages in my life. The bare, rock-bottom minimum I can do to show my thankfulness is to be kind and understanding and helpful to everyone else. If I feel tempted to judge someone, I ask myself, "Is there a way I could be help instead of judge?"

I do follow the events of life closer to home than further away not because I think my neighbors or the people in my state or country are any more valuable than anyone else in the world. If I am going to make a difference in anyone's life, I have more ability to do that to the people who are closer to me than the people further away.

Is there a way you could help a bullied student instead of judging?
Amity Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiedoll Alter View Post
And generally it's them, at least in their entitled mind.

"I'll show you suffering!"

And yea, they will, because anything and everything can be a useful excuse to do what they really like doing, whaling the shit out of someone who isn't in a position to fight.

Because they're right and the right have a right to piss on everyone they choose.

Same old same old. Give a monkey a hammer and you get dead monkeys, give him an encyclopedia and you get confetti because monkeys don't build things, they break them.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

*SLU Supporter*

*SLU Supporter*

No longer awardless

My Mood:
SL Join Date: September 11, 2005

The ShangriLlama Award 
Quote:
"
TBILISI, Georgia (AP) — Thousands of anti-gay protesters, including Orthodox priests, occupied a central street in Georgia's capital Friday, with some threatening to lash with stinging nettles any participant in a gay pride parade which was to take place there.
Police in Tbilisi guarded several dozen gay activists and bused them out of the city center shortly after they arrived at the gathering. Those occupying the street held posters reading "We don't need Sodom and Gomorrah!" and "Democracy does not equal immorality!"

Gay pride rally in Georgia derailed

I hate to be part of the hive mind collective but I really feel I must point out the need for compassion whenever someone is feeling suicidal. It doesn't matter how great or small you or I feel the problem is -- what matters is how it impacts the person in question. And yes some people are emotionally weak. That doesn't mean they shouldn't get help or compassion. Not everyone is strong in all areas.

Also someone ALWAYS has it worse. Someone is ALWAYS richer, or poorer, or more badly treated, or better treated, or has worse circumstances, or better circumstances. Someone else is always more picked on, or more popular. Someone else is uglier, or prettier, or dumber, or smarter. Comparing yourself to others is the path to madness.

Vivi's real life jewelry shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NaturalTreasuresbyDe
AND
http://www.naturaltreasuresbydeb.com
Vivianne Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
"When I hear of someone killing themselves over being called a name in school, I always think (besides how emotionally weak that they are)
My username is up for sale if you're interested.
ImAJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Yay!:
Old 05-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Imp

Who are you?

Also, don't kid yourself into thinking this sort of thing only happens in foreign countries.

A lot of those 'suicides'? Weren't really.
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
tart outlier.

bitches love to be called beautiful.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: early 2006.

Quote:
Fuck you.
Deca! is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Hugged You:
Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Always on the Outside... looking In

SL Join Date: April 2004
Business: Firestorm Support
Quote:

My, aren't you a cold hearted bitch.
"All rocks go to Heaven." ~ Our Lady of Martyrs Catholic Church
“Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you.” ~ Kahlil Gibral
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
Other people's suffering has never made mine seem less. What it does do is actually make mine even more, and me simultaneously sorry for, and glad not to be, them. The type or trigger of the suffering doesn't even matter.
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
Other people's suffering has never made mine seem less. What it does do is actually make mine even more, and me simultaneously sorry for, and glad not to be, them. The type or trigger of the suffering doesn't even matter.
Tbh, there are a couple friends who I help cope with their stuff. I can't do much except for being there for them, "listening" to their IMs (when it's in SL), PMs (elsewhere), or emails. At the same time they help me coping with my stuff - the same way.
One time one of these friends wrote during such a conversation: "You know what? If I had had to go through your youth, I wouldn't even have reached the age of 20, let alone your age." Actually this sentence was the gist of what I was about to send them at the same time: each of us thought that the other one had had it worse.

I think different people have different breaking points in different kinds of stress - what might be a mere nothing for one person, might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for someone else.
It's just like carrying some heavy backpack while walking: What's still easy to handle for one person, might be just so bearable for another one, and becoming way too much for someone else.

What is "real", what's "virtual"?

eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This:
Old 05-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Balthazaar Paine

(What's so funny) 'bout peace,love and understanding?

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAJerk View Post
My username is up for sale if you're interested.
I didn't know you had an alt called odious cunt!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Nemo me impune lacessit

*SLU Supporter*

We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation. -Voltaire

My Mood:
Business: Radio Free Darkmere

Most Erotic Salma Hayek Youtube Clip 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltha View Post
I didn't know you had an alt called odious cunt!
She can't be a cunt....

she lacks the warmth and depth
Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

Editing my edits

My Mood:
Quote:
ignorance like this only distracts from things going on here..
you think you had it bad here?
look a little deeper and get educated about your own country before you direct people to look elsewhere..

inner city may be bad..but it's sure as hell not the worst..stop using it as a soap box or badge to pat yourself on the back..
you're making the rest of us look bad..
Ceka Cianci is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Abby Normal

Always on the Outside... looking In

SL Join Date: April 2004
Business: Firestorm Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceka Cianci View Post
ignorance like this only distracts from things going on here..
you think you had it bad here?
look a little deeper and get educated about your own country before you direct people to look elsewhere..

inner city may be bad..but it's sure as hell not the worst..stop using it as a soap box or badge to pat yourself on the back..
you're making the rest of us look bad..

The only person Karen is making look bad is...

Karen.
WolfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote