Help me find YouTube documentary series on origins of the bible - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Help me find YouTube documentary series on origins of the bible

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
pecan pie

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2003-04-01
Help me find YouTube documentary series on origins of the bible

I am not very good at the Internet and need some help. Someone posted a really cool link on this forum of a series which talked about the origin of the Old Testament, how it was constructed over hundreds of years with different historical influences for the gods they were referencing, and how they were later rewritten to be one god as the Hebrews came to recognize them all as different faces of a single god.

I was talking to a very academic Jewish friend about religion and he was unaware of this documentary.

Thanks in advance, SLU.
jauani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Great party, isn't it?

My Mood:
Sounds like Evid3nc3.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Evid3nc3/videos?view=0

I think these might be the specific videos you're looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPfFx9JTQl8

All the cool kids are following me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/aimee

Aimee Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cherry-Coloured Funk

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb. 24, 2007
Business: Autumn Dreams
Offhand, it sounds like maybe the History of God videos that were posted here sometime this year (maybe, just a guess).

Although the person doing these videos references Karen Armstrong, who wrote the book History of God, this series isn't really a summation of her book, and it has a different aim than her book.

If it's not that, though, there are a lot of good sources out there for the different theories and arguments about how Jewish scriptures and theology developed over time within its cultural and historical context. Which I'd also recommend to your friend, as it's good to see what all the various experts argue, rather than relying on just one source.

This series by Christine Hayes from Yale might also be of interest to her or him, too.

Autumn Palen is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

meaniehead

My Mood:
for some reason I want to change my avatar to that picture of pecan pie now
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Great party, isn't it?

My Mood:
It's the new black. All the cool kids are doing it.
2 Users Laughed:
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

It's Chinese.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008
Client: V3 w/Starlight

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Send a message via Skype™ to Free Xue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Weber View Post
It's the new black. All the cool kids are doing it.
Word.
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Said Yay!:
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
pecan pie

My Mood:
Thanks folks. That is the one. Unfortunately i had forgotten it was wrapped in atheism wrapping paper...
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
µ

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 08/16/2009
Client: Firestorm
I wanted to refer a documentary about the Tankah that seemed to heavily rely on the findings of Israel Finkelstein and Neil Silberman, but either I can't find it, or I dreamed seeing it.

Which probably means that a companion piece about the New Testament, giving the views of the movement of radical criticism and the Jesus Seminar a good deal of attention, doesn't exist either. Darn it.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauani View Post
Thanks folks. That is the one. Unfortunately i had forgotten it was wrapped in atheism wrapping paper...
What atheism wrapping paper? Are you sure it's not actually the complete ~lack~ of the usual "but my religion is different" wrapping that bothers you?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
pecan pie

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrius View Post
What atheism wrapping paper? Are you sure it's not actually the complete ~lack~ of the usual "but my religion is different" wrapping that bothers you?
You're like a colour blind guy wearing rose coloured glasses.
1 User Disagreed:
Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Script Kitty

SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
Quote:
I know for a fact that my copy of the Torah has extended commentary on the authorship of various biblical passages and how they were eventually redacted and combined by various authors for various possible reasons (including political reasons). So it doesn't necessarily have to come witg "atheist wrapping paper".
But I cannot take your arguments seriously when you back them up with links to ridiculously bad information. It's not bad because I disagree with it, it's bad because it really is bad. These sites demonstrate zero knowledge of the science they are discussing, they link almost exclusively to other non-information, and when they DO link to an authoritative source, they misrepresent what the source actually says.
Jahar Aabye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
SUPER BANNED

*SLU Supporter*

It's Chinese.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2008
Client: V3 w/Starlight

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Thread Titling 
Send a message via Skype™ to Free Xue
Free Xue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
pecan pie

My Mood:
Jahar, that's the kind of gift wrap I'm looking for!

Actually, I had had the impression this documentary was an unbiased academic review of religious studies theories. This time around I realized that albeit being superficially dispassionate, it is in fact a retelling of one persons philosophical journey to atheism. Which is interesting, however the overarching narrative will likely impact how its received.

I had a good laugh at the related videos list... "Why religion is immoral", "God is for idiots". I'm actually more interested to see if that gets commented on when I send him the links.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Script Kitty

The Atheism: A History of God video is...it's not horrible, but it's not very good. For starters, he says at one point "when I had read the Bible in English, this made no sense", and my reaction is "no shit". He also makes almost no mention of the First Temple, which dramatically changes his assertion that YHVH was just "one of many deities" since he had the major Temple in Jerusalem. His description of First Temple Judaism as "pagan" is....it's incredibly simplistic. His statements about the words chanted by the Israelites as they crossed the Sea of Reeds, "Mi chamocha ba'elim adonai? Mi chamocha nedar bakodesh?" (Who is like You, Eternal One, among the gods that are worshipped? Who is like You, majestic in holiness?) are correct in how he interprets this: the Israelites were chanting about how their deity had just clearly defeated the Egyptian deities. However, this passage isn't a secret or hidden or anything, it's in every Jewish siddur (prayer book) and it's a part of every Shabbat service!

So actually no, the video doesn't come with "atheist wrapping", it comes with European Christian revisionist wrapping. Its narrator is shocked and surprised to find that a book written in Hebrew might not have been translated very well into English and that people who do not speak Hebrew and have very little understanding of Jewish history or culture might have misunderstood or misinterpreted various biblical passages.

If anything, it's an example of how some (I hope a minority) of atheists are unable to shed their European Christian cultural world-view and are completely unaware of it.

Sorry, it's just...that video....it's not offensive, just incredibly stupid, simplistic, and displays a level of understanding of biblical history on par with what might be taught in a third-grade class.
1 User Said Thanks:
3 Users Disagreed:
Old 12-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Script Kitty

Here's the best way I can think of to describe my reaction to that video:

Imagine how the average American woukd react to someone who says:

"Guys, Guys!!! I just read about this, you'll never believe it!!! The USA, two hundred years ago? We were a bunch of English colonies! Dude, now all that stuff in the Declaration of Independence makes sense! How do more people not know this??!?!!?"
Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahar Aabye View Post
So actually no, the video doesn't come with "atheist wrapping", it comes with European Christian revisionist wrapping. Its narrator is shocked and surprised to find that a book written in Hebrew might not have been translated very well into English and that people who do not speak Hebrew and have very little understanding of Jewish history or culture might have misunderstood or misinterpreted various biblical passages.
Add to that deliberately mistranslated in the light of the New Testament, which was also written by a bunch of guys who couldn't read Hebrew.
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
aka Gem

Resident Evil Pinko Atheist Tree-Hugging Commie Goth

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 2008/02/07
Client: Firestorm (in Phoenix Mode!), Cool VL Viewer, Singularity
The best video series on youtube about the Bible, imo, is the Literally Genesis series by Paul Chartley

What is "real", what's "virtual"?

eighthdwarf Checchinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Wants *things*

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky

Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

"jon" he does it!!

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 27/06/2005
Client: Phoenix & imprudence
Some men decided they wanted to be able to tell the plebs what to do so they invented an invisible man to scare them into compliance. They even wrote in that they could have slaves and that women were property. It was all very successful. Fin.
1 User Groaned:
3 Users Laughed:
1 User Likes This:
Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Queen of the Metaverse

Great party, isn't it?

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Waves View Post
Some men decided they wanted to be able to tell the plebs what to do so they invented an invisible man to scare them into compliance. They even wrote in that they could have slaves and that women were property. It was all very successful. Fin.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned
pecan pie

My Mood:
Thanks, Jahar.

You saved me some mud in the face. Not being Raised in western religion, I didn't realize it was that poorly done.

Interesting thing about the author is that he is like the atheism version of a missionary. He created a non offensive kind of step by step instructions for Christians to make the mental leap to convert. I might still watch the whole thing for kicks.

So you guys know any references our there that talk about the origins of monotheism in the bible without atheism or or religious zealotry? Or am I going to have to visit a library?
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned
pecan pie

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Weber View Post
***** "five stars; intellectual masterpiece" -jwu
3 Users Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Nasty Brit

Wants *things*

SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Quote:
Thanks, Jahar.

You saved me some mud in the face. Not being Raised in western religion, I didn't realize it was that poorly done.

Interesting thing about the author is that he is like the atheism version of a missionary. He created a non offensive kind of step by step instructions for Christians to make the mental leap to convert. I might still watch the whole thing for kicks.

So you guys know any references our there that talk about the origins of monotheism in the bible without atheism or or religious zealotry? Or am I going to have to visit a library?
I suspect a trip to the library to consult something like The Oxford Bible Commentary might be an idea, though it looks as if you can get a free 30 day trial subscription* to the Oxford Biblical Studies Online resources.

*Looks like the free offer is just for institutions.
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

Cherry-Coloured Funk

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Feb. 24, 2007
Business: Autumn Dreams
Quote:
Thanks, Jahar.

Yeah, the History of God video is definitely polemic. And that's fine--there's a time and place for that, but my hunch was right that I didn't think that's what you and your friend was looking for.

The History of God book by Karen Armstrong is basically the history of the development of monotheism in the Abrahamic religions, and though it's written for a popular audience, it's based on pretty solid scholarship. She does have her own slight polemics surface at times in the book, but it's pretty well regarded and neutral at heart, and is really nothing like that person's video of the same name.

The origins of monotheism in the Hebrew bible is a complex topic really, with different competing explanations for how and why it occurred (some think it had to do with Zoroastrianism either via the Persians or perhaps later through Greek influence, or that it had to do with the Exile period, or something to do with the Jewish monarchy, etc.). It's really not clear cut, other than to say at some later point, a group or class of ancient Israelites added a strong veneer of monotheistic belief to the sacred writings of the Jewish peoples (in reaction to external events, or internal divisions, or ?), that over the long run became the dominant view.

The second video I posted above gives a very brief, but good, overview of the subject. I'd recommend watching it (there's a whole series from her class, too on youtube). But to explore the topic further I think looking into good books on the subject would be more fruitful than a video or brief internet article, personally

Last edited by Autumn Palen; 12-31-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Autumn Palen is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

My Mood:
Quote:
You're like a colour blind guy wearing rose coloured glasses.
...says the guy who had to have the idea that "not believing in god(s) is not another form of belief" explained to him a dozen times and still refuses to understand it.
detrius is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks: