WTF Shooting At Conn Elementary School - Page 29 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » WTF? Shooting At Conn Elementary School


Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

 
Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #701 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*
 
Siggy's Avatar
We can't stop here. This is bat country
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,672
My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsy Pendragon View Post
Yeah well, it's the fall of the roman empire all over again. At least we should expect some fabulous parties while we private for-profit corporate interests parcel up what used to be functional government institutions and devour the pieces.
I expect the fiddlers to be better this time around.
__________________
And as it was in the beginning, so too shall it be in the end. That bullshit is bullshit, it just goes by different names.
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 AM   #702 (permalink)
Provincial Sharia-slun
 
Casey Pelous's Avatar
Jesus is coming. Look busy!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 6,819
My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 21, 2007
Client: Anything But 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkady Arkright View Post
The only right we gave up was the right to shoot each other on a whim...
Well that seems like quite a step forward. We've had a prohibition like that in place for a long time and it has generally worked out well for us. Congratulations!
__________________
"I am not more than a lossy Human being, and think that we all are equals..." - Wasted Engineer


U.S. Only
Casey Pelous is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #703 (permalink)
Particle Laboratory Elf
 
Jopsy Pendragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hillcrest, San Diego, USA
Posts: 7,407
My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 15 2004
Business: Light Sorcery

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
I expect the fiddlers to be better this time around.
They'll be autotuned.
Jopsy Pendragon is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Laughed:
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #704 (permalink)
100% Debit Free
 
Amelia Freund's Avatar
I only spend what I can't afford
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 811
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 6th Jan 2007

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
I would be curious if there was pre-existing frontal lobe damage/injuries in any of the cases.
That was actually the case for a well known Australian serial killer in the 60's. Caused by severe physical abuse during childhood.

Since my last post this article has popped up on the NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/he...tism.html?_r=0

I think it applies to all mental disorders that get thrown around at times like these, not just ASD.
Amelia Freund is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #705 (permalink)
Eternal Newbie

*SLU Supporter*
Entirely without credibility
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,633
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 21 June 2009
Client: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Pelous View Post
Well that seems like quite a step forward. We've had a prohibition like that in place for a long time and it has generally worked out well for us. Congratulations!
In the past 20 years you've had multiple-fatality shootings at the following educational establishments in the USA :-

Columbine, Lancaster County, Union, Jonesboro, Springfield, Santee, Red Lion, Cold Spring, Red Lake, Bailey, Chardon, San Diego, Pierce County, Grundy, Tucson, Blacksburg, Arvada, Baton Rouge, DeKalb, Conway, Hampton, Huntsville, Oakland and now Sandy Hook - and that's just a quick search, there are probably more.

This doesn't include single death incidents, or those where the fact it was an educational establishment was incidental, such as spouse murder. I somehow doubt that the relatives of all those (mainly young) murder victims would agree that "it has generally worked out well for us"...
Arkady Arkright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #706 (permalink)
Little Ghost
 
Sybil Maryfield's Avatar
butterflies and zebras and moonbeams
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brunel Hall
Posts: 186
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 10-23-2006
This is going on in my neck of the woods:

Reidland High, Middle schools closed due to threat

Quote:
According to the McCracken County Sheriff's Department, a reporter from the Paducah Sun contacted sheriff's deputies Monday morning, stating that a letter containing a serious threat was sent to the newspaper's editor concerning Reidland High School.
Sheriff deputies requested the letter as well as the author's name and phone number which was attached to the letter. Their request was denied, citing ethical obligations to protect the newspaper's sources.
The Sheriff's department met with the executive editor of the newspaper around 1:00 p.m. Monday afternoon, again asking for the letter and contact information. That request was also denied.
Around 4:30 p.m, another request was made for the same information from the McCracken County Attorney's Office. The newspaper agreed to turn over the letter, but refused to provide the author's name or contact information.
I can't believe that the newspaper had the balls to deny the police their source information. Keep in mind, this is the same area (different school) where the Heath shootings took place in 1997.
__________________
Sybil Maryfield is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #707 (permalink)
The Purple
 
Chalice Yao's Avatar
HEYOO!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere purple, Germany
Posts: 8,127
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Paranoid conspiracy theory people and guns just don't mix.
__________________
"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" - George Carlin
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #708 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 406
More on this supposed connection
Libor scandal grows as the fathers of two mass murderers were to testify - National Finance Examiner | Examiner.com

BREAKING NEWS: CT School Shooter Killer Link To LIBOR SCANDAL News World Wide

Interesting connection.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #709 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 406
I was listening to a local Police officer this morning on the Radio
Said some interesting things.

It would cost tax payers in some towns less than 19 cents a week in taxes to have an armed security guard at there schools.
He also said the Lock Down is not a good solution since you are grouping the kids together in a cluster.
Said a Door can be knocked down windows can be shot out.

Another said how many children have died from fires in schools in the last 20 years
Zero. Then pointed to the Sprinklers, the fire resistant ceilings, the fire resistant walls, the exit signs that will be on at the end of the world.
the teachers and students trained for Fire drills.

So do we start putting schools with Bullet proof glass and Armed security.
My friend told me last night that her daughter asked her if the police were going to be at her school today. And she said Yes they will her 8 year old said good they make me feel safer.

Last edited by Thorn; 12-18-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Hugged You:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #710 (permalink)
Script Kitty
 
Jahar Aabye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Between our dreams and actions, lies this world
Posts: 11,235
SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
Ten-country comparison suggests there’s little or no link between video games and gun murders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
So, what have we learned? That video game consumption, based on international data, does not seem to correlate at all with an increase in gun violence. That countries where video games are popular also tend to be some of the world’s safest (probably because these countries are stable and developed, not because they have video games). And we also have learned, once again, that America’s rate of firearm-related homicides is extremely high for the developed world.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Glasgow
But I cannot take your arguments seriously when you back them up with links to ridiculously bad information. It's not bad because I disagree with it, it's bad because it really is bad. These sites demonstrate zero knowledge of the science they are discussing, they link almost exclusively to other non-information, and when they DO link to an authoritative source, they misrepresent what the source actually says.
Jahar Aabye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #711 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 406
List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We are 12th on the list.
But all the data is not up to date.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #712 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*
 
Siggy's Avatar
We can't stop here. This is bat country
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,672
My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
Beating South Africa is nothing to cheer about.
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #713 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 406
The question is Not video games and Media Alone.
Its a host of issues and since we still have no solid evidence of what he had or was afflicted with.

There is no simple answer to what happened.

We have no clue WHY he choose a elementary school.
Everything is speculation and hearsay.
The police have not mentioned to much. Its reporters and the news media trying to find an explanation for this evil act.

I am curious if any of you actually knows the law in CT. How Hard it is for a Parent to seek help for an ADULT! Yes HE WAS an ADULT. She could not force him to get help or take medication.

You sit and blame the mother for having guns around her kids.
You do know he tried to buy his own weapons right?
Police have not said if her lock safe was busted into. or anything yet!

How many of you have a child with some kinda of social Mental disorder who want their child to try to be treated as a normal child?
You want them to go to school with other "normal kids" you don't want them to be seen as an outcast.

But now I sit and read several of you wanting to limit parents from doing things because their child MAY be like this Adam.

So do we go back to the days of putting our children who are mentally challenged into those Hospitals?
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #714 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
Beating South Africa is nothing to cheer about.
Explain to me where I am cheering about it?
I pointed out a fact.

Also FACT
GUN violence has been dropping every year.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #715 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 406
So what happen with the Mall shooter?
Clackamas mall shooter faced man with concealed weapon | kgw.com Portland

Where a concealed gun owner may have saved more lives.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #716 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wrong Weatherwax's Avatar
Getting Back There
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,573
My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The question is Not video games and Media Alone.
Its a host of issues and since we still have no solid evidence of what he had or was afflicted with.

There is no simple answer to what happened.

We have no clue WHY he choose a elementary school.
Everything is speculation and hearsay.
The police have not mentioned to much. Its reporters and the news media trying to find an explanation for this evil act.

I am curious if any of you actually knows the law in CT. How Hard it is for a Parent to seek help for an ADULT! Yes HE WAS an ADULT. She could not force him to get help or take medication.

You sit and blame the mother for having guns around her kids.
You do know he tried to buy his own weapons right?
Police have not said if her lock safe was busted into. or anything yet!

How many of you have a child with some kinda of social Mental disorder who want their child to try to be treated as a normal child?
You want them to go to school with other "normal kids" you don't want them to be seen as an outcast.

But now I sit and read several of you wanting to limit parents from doing things because their child MAY be like this Adam.

So do we go back to the days of putting our children who are mentally challenged into those Hospitals?
Red Herring much? Just because a parent wishes for their child to be treated the same as any other child doesn't mean that they automatically seek to train and arm a child prone to emotional outbursts. As a parent, I also would never knowingly put my child in a situation where they could harm themselves or others and I include in that, equipping my child and training them in the use of weaponry or even giving them access to the weapons.

If she had a weapons safe and he broke into it I'd love to know the model so that I can avoid it all cost. More than likely she, if she had a safe, gave him access to it and child or adult, considering his past, is a really bad idea.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #717 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Wrong Weatherwax's Avatar
Getting Back There
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,573
My Mood:
Client: Exodus

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Participant 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
So what happen with the Mall shooter?
Clackamas mall shooter faced man with concealed weapon | kgw.com Portland

Where a concealed gun owner may have saved more lives.
He may have been carrying and drawn but he never shot the guy. Do you really think that he was even slightly concerned about the presence of another gun realistically? Considering that he turned his own gun on himself, I'd say that gentleman who drew on him did little to actually help the situation.
Wrong Weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #718 (permalink)
FUCKCHOP! FUUUUUUCKCHOP!
 
reeneebob Birmingham's Avatar
Hasn't logged into SL in months. Yay!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada - COMMIE SOCIALIST COUNTRY WHOOOO! WHOOOOOOOO!
Posts: 1,262
My Mood:
SL Join Date: August 7, 2006
Business: I support others business
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
Red Herring much? Just because a parent wishes for their child to be treated the same as any other child doesn't mean that they automatically seek to train and arm a child prone to emotional outbursts. As a parent, I also would never knowingly put my child in a situation where they could harm themselves or others and I include in that, equipping my child and training them in the use of weaponry or even giving them access to the weapons.

If she had a weapons safe and he broke into it I'd love to know the model so that I can avoid it all cost. More than likely she, if she had a safe, gave him access to it and child or adult, considering his past, is a really bad idea.
Oh no, according to Thorn she was bonding with him and it was reasonable to teach him to shoot things. You know, regardless of his history of mental health issues and outbursts. Like I said, if she wasn't dead I wouldn't be against her being charged with criminal negligence or as an accessory to murder.

I can't believe I live in a world where people actually argue that arming everyone to disarm everyone else is a reasonable idea.

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style
__________________
"BOP BOPBOP BA BOP BOP BOPBOP...this is planet earth" - Simon Lebon
reeneebob Birmingham is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Agreed:
Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #719 (permalink)
Now with 40% more Awesome

*SLU Supporter*
 
Siggy's Avatar
We can't stop here. This is bat country
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 8,672
My Mood:
Client: Tenacious - V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Explain to me where I am cheering about it?
I pointed out a fact.

Also FACT
GUN violence has been dropping every year.
Considering the breadth of your posts on this topic, I thought you might have considered it a high score or something.

Also

There isn't much room for it to go UP.
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #720 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong Weatherwax View Post
He may have been carrying and drawn but he never shot the guy. Do you really think that he was even slightly concerned about the presence of another gun realistically? Considering that he turned his own gun on himself, I'd say that gentleman who drew on him did little to actually help the situation.
Really?
So Adam seeing the police show up SHOT HIM SELF
the same as the person seeing the civilian he ended up turning the gun on himself so YES they were obviously concerned about something.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #721 (permalink)
The Purple
 
Chalice Yao's Avatar
HEYOO!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Somewhere purple, Germany
Posts: 8,127
My Mood:
SL Join Date: 20. January 2007
Client: NaCl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Really?
So Adam seeing the police show up SHOT HIM SELF
the same as the person seeing the civilian he ended up turning the gun on himself so YES they were obviously concerned about something.
I presume he was concerned about going to jail or simply knowing that he has no chance, due to the police turning up in force. Not the same effect that a lone security guard would have.

As a matter of fact, if schools were to get a security guard, his plan would have changed as follows:

* Take out the guard first
* The rest
Chalice Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #722 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeneebob Birmingham View Post
Oh no, according to Thorn she was bonding with him and it was reasonable to teach him to shoot things. You know, regardless of his history of mental health issues and outbursts. Like I said, if she wasn't dead I wouldn't be against her being charged with criminal negligence or as an accessory to murder.

I can't believe I live in a world where people actually argue that arming everyone to disarm everyone else is a reasonable idea.

Flowed from mah heart using SwiftKey Flow Beta from the Galaxy S3, jellybean style
So give me a list of Mental Illness that should have family members limit what they can do in their own homes?

Lets see the list you want and how do we confirm it with out trouncing on the persons liberties.

Question:
If it comes out that ADAM was very much into Games like call of Duty and other violent games should we hold the game makers responsible as well.
Or the mother responsible because you do know he was 20 years old right?

And again show me where 1 OFFICER involved in this situation has released any evidence to you about what the mother had? Or his mental situation?
It is all hearsay at the present time.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #723 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalice Yao View Post
I presume he was concerned about going to jail or simply knowing that he has no chance, due to the police turning up in force. Not the same effect that a lone security guard would have.

As a matter of fact, if schools were to get a security guard, his plan would have changed as follows:

* Take out the guard first
* The rest
Right ok so am Arm Guard seeing a Person wearing black gear and a rifle walking from the car is just going to sit their and let him self get shot.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #724 (permalink)
Intolerant of intolerance

*SLU Supporter*
 
Ariadne Korda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: France
Posts: 3,871
My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 2007
Business: Vent du sud
Blog Entries: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

How many of you have a child with some kinda of social Mental disorder who want their child to try to be treated as a normal child?
You want them to go to school with other "normal kids" you don't want them to be seen as an outcast.

But now I sit and read several of you wanting to limit parents from doing things because their child MAY be like this Adam.

So do we go back to the days of putting our children who are mentally challenged into those Hospitals?
There is treating your kid like a "normal child", sure - meaning a whole lot of ways where there is possible.

But giving a kid with a "social mental disorder" access to guns... you really think parents should do that just to make them feel like the others?

Wow.
__________________

Ariadne Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Said Thanks :
Old 12-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #725 (permalink)
*yawns loudly*

*SLU Supporter*
 
Misty Harley's Avatar
always in need of coffee
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: US
Posts: 4,781
SL Join Date: Septemper 06'
Client: catznip,exodus,nirans
I dunno Thorn, you've been very quick to talk about information you hear on scanners, from your neighbor, from your work place and around town.

And yet, you ask for proof of evidence released from the police to back up someone else's claim through the news about information slowly becoming available regarding the mental stability of ADAM's mind or that of his mothers responsibility or lack there-of is she did take him to a shooting range, teach him how to shoot properly or allow him access to her guns.

Newsflash, a person does not learn how to shoot to hit their mark, even close range...over night. It takes practice and lot's of it.
__________________
Computer Tech Idiot Queen. I have the Crown to Prove it!


Misty Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Agreed:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On