Romney's lax regulation may have fueled meningitis outbreak - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Romney's lax regulation may have fueled meningitis outbreak

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Riding away

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 7, 2008
Romney's lax regulation may have fueled meningitis outbreak

Romney’s lax regulation may have fueled meningitis outbreak - Salon.com

Quote:
But the epidemic may also play a role in the presidential campaign, now that state records reveal that a Massachusetts regulatory agency found that the New England Compounding Co., the pharmaceutical company tied to the epidemic, repeatedly failed to meet accepted standards in 2004 — but a reprimand was withdrawn by the Romney administration in apparent deference to the company’s business interests.
According to the news this morning, Michigan has 62 cases and 8 deaths so far. I am really hoping Attorney Geoffrey Fieger included Romney in his lawsuit as he should be accountable for what happened.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grand Cabal Leader

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Dec 2002
Business: ANOmations
Client: Viewer 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Cristiano Send a message via Skype™ to Cristiano
Unlike the commercial where the wife of the worker laid off by Bain died of cancer, there is a direct contributory link here through negligence.

Cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Riding away

My Mood:
SL Join Date: January 7, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Unlike the commercial where the wife of the worker laid off by Bain died of cancer, there is a direct contributory link here through negligence.
One of the contributing factors to why this outbreak has been so bad is that the hospitals had no idea what was causing it. I am wondering how easily the lax regulations allowed the company to hide the previous case (cases?) while it "self regulated".
Melodie Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Script Kitty

SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
Scott Gravura at Science Based Medicine has a good summary of the regulatory issues involved in the case, including the differences in how compounding pharmacies are treated differently from pharmaceutical manufacturers.

Two of the problem that played a role are the lack of federal regulation (which leaves it up to states, who may well see an incentive to being "business friendly" to keep jobs in-state) and the fact that these compounding pharmacies are supposed to be creating these compounds by individual prescription. When they began manufacturing large batches and shipping them out to be dispensed as-needed, they crossed the line from compounding pharmacy to pharmaceutical manufacturer, but were able to retain the much less strict regulatory standards of the former.

Science-Based Medicine » Weak drug regulation and patient tragedies: We’ve seen this story before
But I cannot take your arguments seriously when you back them up with links to ridiculously bad information. It's not bad because I disagree with it, it's bad because it really is bad. These sites demonstrate zero knowledge of the science they are discussing, they link almost exclusively to other non-information, and when they DO link to an authoritative source, they misrepresent what the source actually says.
Jahar Aabye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meningitis, mitt romney