Predditors - Page 13 - SLUniverse Forums


Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

 
Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #301 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,213
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
If you want to see VA respond to the interview he's here, using the handle mbrusch. He's getting whiny. I expect him to delete the mbrusch account soon, so get it while it's hot.

Adrian Chen, the Gawker journalist who wrote the expose, this is his account. It's fun to follow.

To give you an idea of how well the blockade against gawker is going, here is a thread where everybody is tearing the /r/todayilearned (AKA TIL) subreddit moderators a new one for blocking the Gawker network. This blockade can't last much longer in the major subreddits if this pressure continues. Smaller subreddits have been blocking gawker too, and they might hold out longer because the people who go to smaller subreddits generally don't give a shit about all this drama.
bubblesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #302 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nika Talaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnotgoing Sideways View Post
Are you convinced that removing those sub reddits changed anything?

I don't know where or how, but, those topics have already relocated to a site which will probably make news in another half year. They're not gone at all. People are patting themselves on the back over nothing.
Hey, hey, easy. The goal isn't to rehabilitate all the sick freaks in the world. The goal is to make the statement that publishing clandestine pictures of underage or unfortunate or attractive strangers so you and your pals can salivate over them is unacceptable in U.S. society.

Unacceptable enough that it can cost you your job.

It was the right message to send.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #303 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Amity Slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post
The miserable thing about it is that it was just interesting enough that some agent will contact this guy and get him to write a book. We can only hope that the agent and/or ghost writer will be incompetent and not capable of pumping it up into an actual success.
What would the title of that book be?

I'm a Loser Baby So Why Don't You Kill Me belongs to someone else.
Amity Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #304 (permalink)
Senior Member

*SLU Supporter*
 
AshaSekayi Ra's Avatar
Making Mesh
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,576
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nika Talaj View Post

I hope he succeeds in finding some sort of work somewhere. He's so creepily disconnected, I kinda wonder whether, if his life completely wipes out, he may turn violent.
I hope he won't be in the vicinity of any women are children. Seriously, I have a hard time believing that the man that found the need to create forums with topics such as "Rapebait", "Jailbait", "Incest", "Pics of Dead Kids", "Choke a Bitch" and "Rape Jokes" has not participated in violent crime against women and children. If he hasn't, he is probably a crime waiting to happen. It is disturbing to know he'll be freely walking around like a time bomb and that there is really nothing that can legally be done until it is too late.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemaery Lorefield View Post
Yes and no. And I hope so.

No, in that of course they will pop back up somewhere. Clearly, there is an internet subculture of sick fucking freaks who like to view photos of young girls, dead children, rape, etc. They will carry on.

Yes, in that by removing these forums, a message is sent that this is not ok, you sick fucks don't belong. Reddit needs to stop encouraging the behavior and normalizing it.

There isn't anything you can do to fix these creeps. I would like them to be kept as the sub-culture that they are. They don't need to be out in the open being legitimized and gaining any leverage or wielding pain upon young people.


This bares repeating. Of course, you will never get rid of all the abhorrent material on the internet. There is no doubt in my mind that right now there is some underground site set up for pedophiles to watch child pornography. However, the person running that site knows that this behavior is considered unacceptable (and illegal) in society.

The subforums that Brutsch created should also be considered unacceptable. By having his subforums on Reddit, the company gave those offensive subjects (and the actions that went along with them) an air of legitimacy and normalcy. This is especially true since they rewarded him for his activity on Reddit.

Dangerous subcultures should not be given a voice on popular sites that are out there front and center in the public eye.
AshaSekayi Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
2 Users Like This:
Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #305 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*
 
Cindy Claveau's Avatar
Editing my edit
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brownbackistan
Posts: 32,977
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm
Blog Entries: 16

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshaSekayi Ra View Post
I hope he won't be in the vicinity of any women are children. Seriously, I have a hard time believing that the man that found the need to create forums with topics such as "Rapebait", "Jailbait", "Incest", "Pics of Dead Kids", "Choke a Bitch" and "Rape Jokes" has not participated in violent crime against women and children. If he hasn't, he is probably a crime waiting to happen. It is disturbing to know he'll be freely walking around like a time bomb and that there is really nothing that can legally be done until it is too late.
He claims that sex with his step-daughter was legal and consensual. That wasn't brought up in the interview, either.
__________________
"You're like the world's revenge on sarcasm, you know that?" - Annabel Usher, "The Secret World"
Cindy Claveau is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #306 (permalink)
Senior Member

*SLU Supporter*
 
AshaSekayi Ra's Avatar
Making Mesh
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,576
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
He claims that sex with his step-daughter was legal and consensual. That wasn't brought up in the interview, either.
*sighs*
Anyone that believes that should come and buy some swamp land in Louisiana from me.
AshaSekayi Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #307 (permalink)
Fickle Pickle
 
Isabeau Imako's Avatar
Slouching, with legs akimbo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montréal
Posts: 10,235
My Mood:

Awards: 1
SLU Creepy Avatar Competition 2014 Winner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Claveau View Post
He claims that sex with his step-daughter was legal and consensual. That wasn't brought up in the interview, either.
He actually denied that it was true. Not sure if that means - Heh heh I was just kidding, or that he regrets having said it now that we know who he is.

Quote:
Brutsch has not been charged with a crime. He was, however, questioned by police because of assertions that he had sex with his stepdaughter. He said it's not true.
Man behind 'Jailbait' posts exposed, loses job - CNN.com
Isabeau Imako is online now   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #308 (permalink)
Now with less padding
 
Dancien Graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,006
My Mood:

Awards: 1
Special Achievement in Acronym Usage 
Send a message via AIM to Dancien Graves Send a message via Yahoo to Dancien Graves Send a message via Skype™ to Dancien Graves
Legal and Consensual and creepy as fuck
Dancien Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #309 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*
 
Beebo Brink's Avatar
Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,044
My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshaSekayi Ra View Post
I hope he won't be in the vicinity of any women are children. Seriously, I have a hard time believing that the man that found the need to create forums with topics such as "Rapebait", "Jailbait", "Incest", "Pics of Dead Kids", "Choke a Bitch" and "Rape Jokes" has not participated in violent crime against women and children. If he hasn't, he is probably a crime waiting to happen.
No, just... no.

I'm not persuaded that there is a direct connection between trolling controversial topics -- because the troll knows they're controversial and will enrage people, that's why he choose them -- and the desire to actually commit these acts. You may wonder, you may suspect a proclivity, but assuming that this is fact or that it's only a matter of time before it happens is a dangerous precedent to set for witch hunting.

This is the same kind of attack argument that appears when discussing RP areas of a violent nature in SL. People wouldn't fantasize these scenarios if they didn't actually want to go out and rape, kill, yada yada yada. Maybe yes, maybe no. Some people may do this because they can't act on these impulses in RL, but would if given the opportunity, but at the same time other people may engage in the RP precisely because it is not real.

You can't know for sure what someone's motivations are, no matter how "obvious" it may appear to you.

Damn this man for the acts we know he is committing -- there's more than enough on that score -- but don't overreach. He's a pathetic guy who found an easy way to feel powerful. That may make him despicable but it doesn't by itself make him a dangerous violent criminal.
__________________
"Don't post dickishly if you can't take the pushback, cupcake." -- Roxy Couturier

"Didn't you know that only a fashion blog could create this much chaos? They are the Large Hadron Colliders of SL drama." -- Arilynn

Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Said Thanks:
1 User Disagreed:
Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #310 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*
 
bronxelf's Avatar
Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 8,006
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
No, just... no.

I'm not persuaded that there is a direct connection between trolling controversial topics -- because the troll knows they're controversial and will enrage people, that's why he choose them -- and the desire to actually commit these acts. You may wonder, you may suspect a proclivity, but assuming that this is fact is a dangerous precedent to set for witch hunting.

This is the same kind of attack argument that appears when discussing RP areas of a violent nature in SL. People wouldn't fantasize these scenarios if they didn't actually want to go out and rape, kill, yada yada yada. Maybe yes, maybe no. Some people may do this because they can't act on these impulses in RL, but would if given the opportunity, but at the same time other people may engage in the RP precisely because it is not real.

You can't know for sure what someone's motivations are, no matter how "obvious" it may appear to you.

Damn this man for the acts we know he is committing -- there's more than enough on that score -- but don't overreach.
see: story of 19 year old stepdaughter.

He's already proved his willingness to exploit people sexually. Not sure in this case it's that far a stretch to be concerned.
__________________
http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13563&dateline=140687  7334
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 10-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #311 (permalink)
Senior Meanie

*SLU Supporter*
 
Beebo Brink's Avatar
Head of the SLU Troll Tax Administration
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,044
My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2006
Client: Firestorm

Awards: 1
The 2 Millionth Post Award 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshaSekayi Ra View Post
Seriously, I have a hard time believing that the man that found the need to create forums with topics such as "Rapebait", "Jailbait", "Incest", "Pics of Dead Kids", "Choke a Bitch" and "Rape Jokes" has not participated in violent crime against women and children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxelf View Post
see: story of 19 year old stepdaughter.

He's already proved his willingness to exploit people sexually. Not sure in this case it's that far a stretch to be concerned.
What I see is an ineffectual, bombastic fool who found he could puff himself up and feel powerful by making other people spitting mad. The story of sex with his step-daughter could be true, or it could be yet another story to bolster his reputation as an in-your-face-pervert, but either way it is not a violent crime. And if she was 19, it wasn't even a crime. It wouldn't surprise me if he has porn, even very loathsome porn, on his computer. That also fits in with his reclusive, passive entertainments.

None of this persuades me he's a violent criminal or an ticking time bomb about to attack women and children.
Beebo Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Disagreed:
Old 10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #312 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*
 
bronxelf's Avatar
Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 8,006
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
What I see is an ineffectual, bombastic fool who found he could puff himself up and feel powerful by making other people spitting mad. The story of sex with his step-daughter could be true, or it could be yet another story to bolster his reputation as an in-your-face-pervert, but either way it is not a violent crime. And if she was 19, it wasn't even a crime. It wouldn't surprise me if he has porn, even very loathsome porn, on his computer. That also fits in with his reclusive, passive entertainments.

None of this persuades me he's a violent criminal or an exploding time bomb.


To be clear. I dont think he's either one of those. I do think he's a misogynist of the VERY first order who would not hesitate to intimidate or exploit a woman at the drop of a hat.
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #313 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*
 
Cindy Claveau's Avatar
Editing my edit
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brownbackistan
Posts: 32,977
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm
Blog Entries: 16

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
None of this persuades me he's a violent criminal or an ticking time bomb about to attack women and children.
There's a narrow thread between an ineffectual sociopath with feelings of inadequacy and an ineffectual sociopath who decides to escalate his behavior when the old routines no longer work.

His demeanor and behavior patterns on the interview screamed sociopath to me: Denial, shifting blame, creating an alternate personality who was really responsible for the wrongs and, finally, never acknowledging the humanity of the girls who were victimized.

It doesn't mean he's violent, but I do believe it means he is going to continue to have problems functioning in society. Whether the frustration from those problems leads him to violence is an open question. Probabilities say unlikely - a lot of people in this country are sociopathic to some degree and never become violent.
Cindy Claveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #314 (permalink)
Senior Member

*SLU Supporter*
 
AshaSekayi Ra's Avatar
Making Mesh
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,576
My Mood:
None us knows if Brutsch is just a misogynistic creeper that was "playing to an audience" like he claimed in his interview or a misogynistic creeper that is capable of being violent towards women.

That being said, I'd never advocate that someone be arrested for what you *think* they might do. The point is that his obsessive misogynistic online activity does give me pause to wonder what he is capable of.
AshaSekayi Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #315 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nika Talaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo Brink View Post
People wouldn't fantasize these scenarios if they didn't actually want to go out and rape, kill, yada yada yada.
I agree that there is little reason to assume that this guy could turn violent. There is more grounds for unease than if he were doing violent, misogynistic RP in SL, though. Remember, the jailbait subreddit featured pictures of RL people, with attendant comments by people salivating/mocking/fantasizing all over the pictures.

If these girls' relatives or bullying "friends" saw the pic and comments, any of those girls could get into serious RL trouble. So it's not just a game inside his head - his actions could already have caused actual harm. That cannot be said of SL RP.
Nika Talaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #316 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,213
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
The story about his 19 year old daughter is probably not true. VA has said that his daughter is unaware of any of this happening because she doesn't have the internet where she is. That situation reminds me of the Avenue Q song:


The story about giving his son porn, that is probably true, but his son is 18 now. VA's son did an AMA and talked about how creepy his dad is.

I agree with Beebo. Accusing VA of violence or even of committing a crime is just crazy. He got what he deserved because he was doxed publicly and that messed up his career and probably his family life.
bubblesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #317 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*
 
bronxelf's Avatar
Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 8,006
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesort View Post
The story about his 19 year old daughter is probably not true. VA has said that his daughter is unaware of any of this happening because she doesn't have the internet where she is.

Let me get this straight. This guy is now claiming, he went out of his way to tell reddit, a worldwide internet platform in an AMA about how he got a (theoretically) consensual blowjob from his 19 year old stepdaughter.

Which he now claims isn't true.

I'm going to reiterate this: this guy went out of his way to say that his NINETEEN YEAR OLD STEPDAUGHTER BLEW HIM, AND SAID IT IN FRONT OF A WORLDWIDE INTERNET AUDIENCE- something that does not magically *poof* out of existence once the AMA is over- it's in writing, online, forever. And beyond that, because that wasn't fucked up enough, he claims now it's not even true- he told this story about this 19 year old girl- a member of his own family, and it was a lie.

AND SOMEHOW... he rationalizes all this by saying "oh well you know, it's all okay cause she doesn't know about any of this since she doesn't have the internet where she is."

Because clearly, she lives on MARS, and will be living there FOREVER, oh and by the way, she has NO FRIENDS who have internet access, and they NEVER WILL, and you know, no one will ever make that RL connection between him and his stepdaugher, and she's not gonna be spending the rest of her life having to explain this shit to people.

Right? I got that right so far?

So not only does this guy have ABSOLUTELY no excuse for even being alive at this point. he's the dumbest motherfucker on Earth.

And as a final bonus- the fact that he was willing to say this about this 19 year old young woman? His own family? PROVES, proof positive, forever, about how he views women.
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 AM   #318 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,213
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
I don't think he ever said it wasn't true. Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure the oral sex went the other way, I think he said that he ate her out. He might be saying that she doesn't have internet access to make his own story look less true so people don't take it seriously. It's hard to know for sure what is really going on. At this point, I think the saga of VA is pretty much over. All we can do is speculate until more information comes out, and I doubt that more information will come out. VA is laying low.

The full impact of these events is yet to be seen, I think. I'm hoping that other moderators who are sticking up for VA start getting doxed. If they refuse to listen to their communities and lift the Gawker blockade then the moderators of /r/politics and /r/todayilearned and other large subreddits need to start going down until they get a clue.
bubblesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #319 (permalink)
GAF

*SLU Supporter*
 
bronxelf's Avatar
Goth when goth was. Also, socially unacceptable.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 8,006
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May 13, 2008
Business: Beautiful Freak/Club Gothika/House of Rain/Pale Empress/Cursed Events
Client: Firestorm.
Send a message via AIM to bronxelf Send a message via MSN to bronxelf Send a message via Yahoo to bronxelf Send a message via Skype™ to bronxelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesort View Post
I don't think he ever said it wasn't true. Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure the oral sex went the other way, I think he said that he ate her out. .

Not for nothing but this story just gets worse with every iteration....
bronxelf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
1 User Agreed:
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #320 (permalink)
Nasty Brit
 
Innula Zenovka's Avatar
Grande Cabalista
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 10,791
SL Join Date: 17 June 2007
Business: Something Spunky
Do we know for sure this step-daughter exists?
Innula Zenovka is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #321 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,213
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
Here is an excellent article by Gawker where they defend themselves against their detractors on Reddit:

Why the Violentacrez Story Isn't About Free Speech

The arguments against Gawker usually fall into two categories, from that I have seen so far. They are either arguing that 'doxxing is bad!' or 'Gawker is bad!' and then they link to pages like
Upskirt News, Video and Gossip - Gawker

This might be completely off topic, and I'm sorry for the shameless plug, but just for the hell of it I started a subreddit this morning at /r/oppressed. It's new so there aren't really any subscribers and all the links there so far are posted by me. Feel free to submit links and comment, subscribe and all of that.
bubblesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #322 (permalink)
Script Kitty
 
Jahar Aabye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Between our dreams and actions, lies this world
Posts: 11,052
SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesort View Post
Here is an excellent article by Gawker where they defend themselves against their detractors on Reddit:

Why the Violentacrez Story Isn't About Free Speech

The arguments against Gawker usually fall into two categories, from that I have seen so far. They are either arguing that 'doxxing is bad!' or 'Gawker is bad!' and then they link to pages like
Upskirt News, Video and Gossip - Gawker

This might be completely off topic, and I'm sorry for the shameless plug, but just for the hell of it I started a subreddit this morning at /r/oppressed. It's new so there aren't really any subscribers and all the links there so far are posted by me. Feel free to submit links and comment, subscribe and all of that.
Umm, Bubblesort, as one White heterosexual American male to another, are you sure you'd know oppression if it bit you on the ass? I'm just saying...I really doubt that either of us have actually experienced any sort of oppression (unless you've travelled abroad to certain countries, if you responded by saying that you'd travelled with Ang San Suu Kyi's campaign, for example, I'd feel like a complete idiot for saying this).

Besides, half of the stories posted there kinda make a mockery out of the entire concept. Pirate Bay faces unjust oppression? A mormon being excommunicated? Bradley Manning? Oppression is more than just "someone was mean to me", and usually involves a systematic denial of basic human rights through the use of force and through intimidation. Often the overt act itself is part of a larger enforcement of intimidation, ie Russian journalists being assassinated in a public manner to send a message to all journalists in that nation of what happens to those who criticize the government and publish reports of human rights abuses in Chechnya.

Oh, Chechnya's a pretty good example of oppression too: send your army into a town, take all the men and older teenage boys a few miles outside of town and execute them all, then drag off some of the younger women to "entertain" your soldiers. But I'm sure those guys at Pirate Bay must be having a rough time too...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Glasgow
But I cannot take your arguments seriously when you back them up with links to ridiculously bad information. It's not bad because I disagree with it, it's bad because it really is bad. These sites demonstrate zero knowledge of the science they are discussing, they link almost exclusively to other non-information, and when they DO link to an authoritative source, they misrepresent what the source actually says.
Jahar Aabye is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 10-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #323 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,213
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahar Aabye View Post
Umm, Bubblesort, as one White heterosexual American male to another, are you sure you'd know oppression if it bit you on the ass? I'm just saying...I really doubt that either of us have actually experienced any sort of oppression (unless you've travelled abroad to certain countries, if you responded by saying that you'd travelled with Ang San Suu Kyi's campaign, for example, I'd feel like a complete idiot for saying this).

Besides, half of the stories posted there kinda make a mockery out of the entire concept. Pirate Bay faces unjust oppression? A mormon being excommunicated? Bradley Manning? Oppression is more than just "someone was mean to me", and usually involves a systematic denial of basic human rights through the use of force and through intimidation. Often the overt act itself is part of a larger enforcement of intimidation, ie Russian journalists being assassinated in a public manner to send a message to all journalists in that nation of what happens to those who criticize the government and publish reports of human rights abuses in Chechnya.

Oh, Chechnya's a pretty good example of oppression too: send your army into a town, take all the men and older teenage boys a few miles outside of town and execute them all, then drag off some of the younger women to "entertain" your soldiers. But I'm sure those guys at Pirate Bay must be having a rough time too...
That is an extremely weak straw man argument, because I never claimed to have experienced anything. However, on the subject of what you know and don't know...

I will not discuss my life with you. You have no idea who I am or what I am or what I have experienced. You are projecting. Your privilege theory is obsolete and oppressive to minorities. Stop whining. Just shut up and deal with reality.

If you have better content for my subreddit then by all means, post it. I'm not going to censor you so long as you keep with the theme of the subreddit and don't break any of reddit's rules or post things that I find morally problematic (posting pictures of concentration camps is good, sexualizing them is not).

Go ahead, post to my subreddit that I'm white and male and because of that the subreddit is stupid. I would be happy to argue with you there rather than bring your personal reddit drama to SLU.
bubblesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #324 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,213
SL Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahar Aabye View Post
Besides, half of the stories posted there kinda make a mockery out of the entire concept. Pirate Bay faces unjust oppression? A mormon being excommunicated? Bradley Manning? Oppression is more than just "someone was mean to me", and usually involves a systematic denial of basic human rights through the use of force and through intimidation. Often the overt act itself is part of a larger enforcement of intimidation, ie Russian journalists being assassinated in a public manner to send a message to all journalists in that nation of what happens to those who criticize the government and publish reports of human rights abuses in Chechnya.
One more thing... this paragraph shows how completely ignorant you are of current events.

The pirate bay was violently raided recently and their people are being held in solitary.

Bradley Manning is being held in solitary confinement and has been held longer than is legal and is being denied a fair trial.

When mormons are excommunicated they are cut off from their community, which destroys their livelihoods in some cases. In some communities excommunication results in divorce and people refusing to do business with them.

I suggest you either pick up a newspaper from time to time and try to keep up with the issues or shut up when adults are speaking.
bubblesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #325 (permalink)
E=mc^(OMG)/wtf

*SLU Supporter*
 
Cindy Claveau's Avatar
Editing my edit
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Brownbackistan
Posts: 32,977
My Mood:
SL Join Date: May, 2005
Client: Firestorm
Blog Entries: 16

Awards: 4
Special Achievement In Creepy Avatar Threads 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesort View Post
Bradley Manning is being held in solitary confinement and has been held longer than is legal and is being denied a fair trial.
He hasn't been in solitary since last year, and is awaiting a military court martial:

Bradley Manning no longer held in solitary confinement, Pentagon says | World news | The Guardian

Quote:
Manning is now detained among other medium-security inmates also awaiting military trial, according to Associated Press, which took part in a media tour of his new accommodation. The move implies that Manning has been cleared as a suicide risk, as any detainee deemed a risk of suicide would be held on their own.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Manning

Quote:
He was arraigned in February 2012 at Fort Meade, Maryland, where he declined to enter a plea. The trial is expected to begin in February 2013.[3]
Cindy Claveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On