Judge orders sex reassignment surgery on Inmate - Page 4 - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Judge orders sex reassignment surgery on Inmate

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
LIONHEART - We Have Your Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #76 (permalink)
My Own Girl

*SLU Supporter*

Fortitude and attitude...

My Mood:
SL Join Date: Jan 30, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni Khan View Post
Has anyone asked why whoever is bankrolling her legal battle doesn't pay for her surgery?
FTFY.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #77 (permalink)

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 03/17/2004
I grew up around a lot of transgender and gay people. I always try to be respectful. I made a mistake. Good job being an asshole about it.
Eboni Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Groaned:
Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #78 (permalink)
Script Kitty

SL Join Date: 2/16/2007
Business: Black Operations
Client: Singularity
Quote:
Has anyone asked why whoever is bankrolling her legal battle doesn't pay for her surgery?
Probably because this is about more than just one inmate's surgery. Upholding the decision not to provide this surgery coukd have had consequences that would affect inmates all across the country. In a time when our prisons are being used as de facto institutions and state budgets are tight, it would be very very tempting for states to find excuses to refuse to pay for any non-lifesaving medical treatment.

Most court cases are like that, once they get past the initial trial phase and reach appellate courts. The issue isn't about this plaintiff or that defendant, but about how courts should find on this issue in the future.
But I cannot take your arguments seriously when you back them up with links to ridiculously bad information. It's not bad because I disagree with it, it's bad because it really is bad. These sites demonstrate zero knowledge of the science they are discussing, they link almost exclusively to other non-information, and when they DO link to an authoritative source, they misrepresent what the source actually says.
Jahar Aabye is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed:
Old 09-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #79 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

Innocent as far as you know

My Mood:
SL Join Date: late 04 original account, mid 05 current
@Roxanne:
I'm glad you saved that quote for your sig.... I keep forgetting I need to try it out in real life and seehow it goes =D
It's not enough to care about liberty if the only liberty you care about is your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Firelyte View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever ask, "What is the real meaning of the winter solstice?"
Quote:
Thanks for being passive agressive.
Void is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Laughed:
Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #80 (permalink)
My Own Girl

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
I grew up around a lot of transgender and gay people. I always try to be respectful. I made a mistake. Good job being an asshole about it.
I'm a little sensitive on the subject, so pardon my asshole correction. Perhaps it was because yours was a single line post using the wrong gender pronouns, it simply stood out to me as the most glaring recent example in this thread.

And, perhaps it was the fact that yours was the first post in the thread that actually referred to the story, and you also referred to Michelle Kosilek by masculine pronouns then:

Quote:
I would be in full support of this if the person was not a murderer and serving life for all things, killing his wife. I don't see the point in making life better for someone that is never going to get out of prison. He is a murderer, let him fucking suffer. The person he killed doesn't get a chance at a better life or any life at all.
There has been a great deal of misusing gender pronouns in this thread, and of course, being the total asshole I am, I chose yours to make an example.

OH, and P.S.

Thanks for always trying to be "respectful".
Roxanne Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #81 (permalink)

My Mood:
Thanks for being passive agressive.
1 User Groaned:
3 Users Laughed:
Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #82 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
oh fuck me running, I think I just found a new line for my sig....
2 Users Laughed:
Old 09-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #83 (permalink)

My Mood:
Inmate Seeking Sex Change Eligible for Legal Fees - ABC News

Quote:
A convicted murderer in Massachusetts who won the right to get a state-funded sex change is also eligible to have legal fees — expected to top $500,000 — paid as well, a federal judge ruled.

Kosilek's attorney, Frances Cohen, said she has not yet done a final calculation or submitted a request for fees, but she estimates that attorneys' fees will be comparable to the approximately $500,000 sought in the case of another transgender inmate who also sued the Department of Correction for treatment of gender-identity disorder.

Cohen said she and another lawyer who worked on Kosilek's case have offered to forego their fees if the Department of Correction agrees not to appeal Wolf's ruling. The lawyers would still seek reimbursement for an undetermined amount paid in out-of-pocket expenses, including the fees paid to their experts.
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #84 (permalink)
state of non-being

The maple kind?

My Mood:
Client: Firestorm
Maybe next time they should consider just allowing the treatment in the first place.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #85 (permalink)
Oh Yes You Are

Fuckity

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/14/2004
Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Belvedere
Just great.
Jack Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #86 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
if the review passes the case, then I have no problem with the state picking up the tab, and while I'd like to thank the attorney for offering to waive fees, the pragmatist in me believes that it's meant to secure a shaky victory... I feel quite certain that a win in this case means more than the money for the aspirations of this attorney.
1 User Agreed:
Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #87 (permalink)
My Own Girl

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
For those of you who were outraged that the state of Massachusetts might actually require taxpayers to finance Michelle Kosilek's gender reassignment surgery (even though it is the proper treatment for a person with Gender Identity Disorder) you may be relieved to know that bastion of liberal Romneycare has appealed the judge's ruling in this case.

Mass. to Appeal Convict Sex Change Ruling - US - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

Oh, btw, this is bullshit from the "prison officials":

Quote:
Prison officials say allowing the surgery would make Kosilek a target for sexual assaults by other inmates.
Then, put her into a female facility. She's NOT male, and she doesn't belong in a prison for males.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #88 (permalink)
That Bitch

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
despite disagreeing with the last ruling, the only thing I'm outraged by is the fact that the prison is still pushing the same bullshit excuse of sexual assault. I just looked it up and Mass allows for legal gender change (literally a form and signed statement from a physician for state id according to wiki), as does the federal government (both SS and State Department)
1 User Said Thanks:
Old 09-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #89 (permalink)
- mercurial heathen -

in my own little world

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 4/11/2006
This case makes me really really angry (and a bit sick in the pit of my stomach). Though not for myself. i have a friend in real life who is FTM, but cannot get SRS because our state medical insurance won't pay for it. Me and my friend live in Connecticut now, but previously we lived in Massachusetts where he couldn't get the surgery done either.

It's extremely upsetting that an inmate who murdered someone, and is serving life in prison, is entitled to better medical care by the state than my law abiding friend is entitled to receive from the state?

My friend has been suicidal too, because he cannot afford to have the female breasts on his chest removed. The state insurance won't pay for it, forget about the state paying for the rest of the surgery.

i feel so sad for my friend, not knowing how to help him. Seeing him struggling with depression. Seeing him feel hopeless, feeling he will never have the money to pay for any of the surgeries he needs. He's in talk therapy, of course, but that only helps so far...

...why, in some circumstances, are criminals afforded better medical care than non-criminals?

Okay, sure... i think prisoners should be given a certain level of medical care. but.... it's sick that my friend could get the surgery he needs, apparently, more easily if he just went out and killed someone... than being a decent guy following the law.

i don't think he's heard about this case yet, or else he hasn't brought it up to me, nor i to him, since i just heard about it today on this forum. i hope he doesn't hear about it, i can just imagine how much more frustrating and heart breaking it will be for him.

Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #90 (permalink)
My Own Girl

*SLU Supporter*

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana View Post
This case makes me really really angry (and a bit sick in the pit of my stomach). Though not for myself. i have a friend in real life who is FTM, but cannot get SRS because our state medical insurance won't pay for it. Me and my friend live in Connecticut now, but previously we lived in Massachusetts where he couldn't get the surgery done either.

It's extremely upsetting that an inmate who murdered someone, and is serving life in prison, is entitled to better medical care by the state than my law abiding friend is entitled to receive from the state?

My friend has been suicidal too, because he cannot afford to have the female breasts on his chest removed. The state insurance won't pay for it, forget about the state paying for the rest of the surgery.

i feel so sad for my friend, not knowing how to help him. Seeing him struggling with depression. Seeing him feel hopeless, feeling he will never have the money to pay for any of the surgeries he needs. He's in talk therapy, of course, but that only helps so far...

...why, in some circumstances, are criminals afforded better medical care than non-criminals?

Okay, sure... i think prisoners should be given a certain level of medical care. but.... it's sick that my friend could get the surgery he needs, apparently, more easily if he just went out and killed someone... than being a decent guy following the law.

i don't think he's heard about this case yet, or else he hasn't brought it up to me, nor i to him, since i just heard about it today on this forum. i hope he doesn't hear about it, i can just imagine how much more frustrating and heart breaking it will be for him.
I can honestly say that I know very much how your friend feels. If not for a bit of luck and the generosity of a friend, I would never have been able to afford my GRS surgeries either.

What really outrages me, however, is that neither your friend nor I would ever be able to get such treatment under the Affordable Care Act. Transgender Americans were thrown under the bus by the Obama administration to trade for a few (disgustingly bigoted) "Blue Dog" Democrats' votes in favor of the law. I don't begrudge "normal" Americans having health insurance coverage that actually covers your illnesses and accidents, so why do "straight" people feel entitled to deny me (and your friend) the health care we need?
1 User Said Thanks: