Anti-gay wingnuts launch petition against Fox News liberal contributor - SLUniverse Forums
Navigation » SLUniverse Forums > Off Topic Discussion > Politics, Religion & Society » Anti-gay wingnuts launch petition against Fox News liberal contributor

Politics, Religion & Society Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while drunk, suffering from food poisoning, or while on a low carb diet. You have been warned.

Sponsor:
Lionheart Virtual Estate - Experience the Difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Anti-gay wingnuts launch petition against Fox News liberal contributor

Truth Wins Out - TWO

Quote:
I have never been more proud of my career accomplishments than I am today. It has been said that the friends and foes accrued over a lifetime can be used as a measure of the man. Given the coalition of homophobes and hate groups that viciously attacked me today, I feel my life’s work has been vindicated and validated.

When I woke up this morning, I was greeted with a pernicious press release headlined, “Family Groups Urge FOX NEWS to Stop Providing Unchallenged Prime Time to Agitator.” The sub headline read: “Bill O’Reilly ignores repeated requests to drop SPLC’s Wayne Besen from show.” (Note: I don’t work for SPLC. I am the founder of Truth Wins Out)

The letter/press release was signed by a who’s who of anti-gay activists, many of whom have helped land their organizations on the Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of hate groups.
Truth Wins Out - AFA Joins Call To Blacklist TWO’s Wayne Besen From FOX News; Fundies Launch New Petition

Quote:
Just when you thought that anti-gay activists couldn’t get more outrageous — they launched a nutty petition today packed with inflammatory language urging FOX News to blacklist me. This latest stunt follows an incendiary letter sent out yesterday by sixteen anti-gay activists trying to pressure Bill O’Reilly to stop having me on as a guest. Today, the American Family Association’s Executive Vice President, Buddy Smith, joined the fray by signing onto the letter.

I responded yesterday, pointing out that those who signed were some of America’s biggest anti-gay extremists.

The petition was written by one of the signers, Chaplain Gordon James Klingenschmitt, who embarrassed himself by offering me an exorcism on the David Pakman Show. So far, officials at FOX News are not honoring their petulant and bizarre demands.

The petition’s breathless headline: “Free Petition to Bill O’Reilly: STOP helping violent homosexuals kill Christians.”

Note to fundies — if you are trying to ban a person for allegedly demonizing Christians — it might help if you did not overtly demonize them. For example, the e-mail used on the letter to attract new signers was WackyWayne666@hotmail.com. When I wrote about this, they slyly changed the e-mail address to something more benign. But not before I screen captured it. Good going Einsteins!
The second petition, of course, references the guy who wounded (in the arm) a security guard at the Family Research Council's headquarters, but that hasn't stopped them from extrapolating this singular incident (in what I've been unable to 100% confirm so far, but largely believe to be the only incident of its kind) into "armed homosexuals are coming to KILL CHRISTIANS."

Anyway, the guy turns up on the O'Reilly show regularly as the liberal challenger, and evidently that's got the homophobes in a royal froth to the point of demanding that Fox ban him from ever participating on their network again.

They also call him an "associate" of the DC gunman, because everyone knows there's only ten gay people in the world and we've all had sex with each other.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Nightshade View Post
The second petition, of course, references the guy who wounded (in the arm) a security guard at the Family Research Council's headquarters, but that hasn't stopped them from extrapolating this singular incident (in what I've been unable to 100% confirm so far, but largely believe to be the only incident of its kind) into "armed homosexuals are coming to KILL CHRISTIANS."
Has there been any sort of information about the sexual orientation of Floyd Corkins, the Family Research Council shooter? I read that he volunteered at an LGBT community center, but never read anything indicating that he himself was gay or bisexual or transgender.
Amity Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

The self-demonization committed by anti-gay Christian groups is worse than anything he could do to them. They should petition themselves to take Bryan Fischer's microphone away.
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
I want candy

*SLU Supporter*

Dynamite with a Laserbeam

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 01/13/2004
1 User Sighed in Exasperation: Pie Psaltery
Pie Psaltery is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Agreed:
Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lies down wif Bunnies

Lurve ta eat them bunnies, bunnies what I lurve ta eat. Bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet.

My Mood:
SL Join Date: July 5, 2006
Client: Dun' compromise mai privacies!
Quote:
everyone knows there's only ten gay people in the world and we've all had sex with each other.
You gais has all the fun!
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade?
Dickie Swansong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon

Hail Woz, the great and powerful!

SL Join Date: March, 2006
Client: Phoenix & Firestorm
Send a message via Skype™ to Kara Spengler
I am surprised they never think about this from a PR angle. Left-leaning commentators have republicans on as guests all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Ok, I have to ask, WTF is this thread even about and why is it hundreds of posts? I am out of vodka so I don't feel like reading it to find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathiee View Post
Why? Don't like me ban me
Kara Spengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lustful Cockmonster

*SLU Supporter*

Unedited

My Mood:
SL Join Date: October 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity Slade View Post
Has there been any sort of information about the sexual orientation of Floyd Corkins, the Family Research Council shooter? I read that he volunteered at an LGBT community center, but never read anything indicating that he himself was gay or bisexual or transgender.
As far as I know it's just that he volunteered at the LGBT centre, and he had chicken sandwiches in his bag. I don't think it's gone further than that. I did read something with a quote from his mom about him being angry at not having rights, but I haven't seen the quote attributed anywhere else. I've heard a lot of people in the LGBT activist circles even suggest that he was an otherwise random person hired by evangelicals to do this for publicity, but frankly I think we can go with the presumption that he's gay — it's the easiest scenario, and him being gay doesn't detract from the message or the ease in which people who need help are able to purchase guns when they shouldn't be able to.

Much as the bigots would like it to be the case, one gay man doing this isn't representative of all gay people unless we're going to start holding the bigots who assault, demonise, harass and murder gay individuals as representative of all heterosexuals or Christians. In that case, they've got the metrics stacked against him.
Joshua Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Forman

My Mood:
SL Join Date: 12/14/2004
Send a message via Yahoo to Jack Belvedere
I liked Besen's quote: "My rap sheet is as blank as many of their faces".
Jack Belvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
As far as I know it's just that he volunteered at the LGBT centre, and he had chicken sandwiches in his bag. I don't think it's gone further than that. I did read something with a quote from his mom about him being angry at not having rights, but I haven't seen the quote attributed anywhere else. I've heard a lot of people in the LGBT activist circles even suggest that he was an otherwise random person hired by evangelicals to do this for publicity, but frankly I think we can go with the presumption that he's gay — it's the easiest scenario, and him being gay doesn't detract from the message or the ease in which people who need help are able to purchase guns when they shouldn't be able to.

Much as the bigots would like it to be the case, one gay man doing this isn't representative of all gay people unless we're going to start holding the bigots who assault, demonise, harass and murder gay individuals as representative of all heterosexuals or Christians. In that case, they've got the metrics stacked against him.
Corkins's statement during the incident was "I don't like your politics"- he didn't accuse FRC of doing anything to him specifically. His parents provided an affidavit to the FBI which said that he, "has strong opinions with respect to those he believes do not treat homosexuals in a fair manner." Again, it's not about what anti-gay groups are doing to him. He lived at home with his parents, and apparently did not have much interaction with the people at the community center where he volunteered. No friends or family appeared to support him in court when he entered his plea. (The Washington Times reported that "he was not well-known in Washington's gay community." Whatever that may mean in the Washington Times.)

I don't know that there is any reason to assume he's gay. It sounds more to me like he's an emotionally disturbed and isolated loner seeking attention, and the shooting was as much about gay rights as Hinkley's attempt on Reagan was about Jodie Foster. Of course if he is gay, that doesn't make him a representative of all gay people. Nevertheless, until there is some fact that confirms he is gay, I don't think the FRC shooting adds to the tally of gay people taking up arms against Christians (which I guess would leave the tally at zero).

Last edited by Amity Slade; 08-25-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Amity Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Agreed: